Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How high should expectations have been?

n1029

Buried within that thread that got locked I think was a compelling discussion topic about what an appropriate level of expectation should have been for this movie. Obviously now that the movie is out we all know what it should have been, but from a pre release perspective where you only had the marketing materials and your own hopes to go on, was there a level of expectation that was too much?

Personally, I hold the series in a very high esteem and not many movies or shows have stuck with me this decade as much as Friendship is Magic, so I don't think it was unreasonable to hope for, if not necessarily expect, that level of enjoyment to carry over into the movie. I have never nor ever plan to defend the series with a banality like "kids love it" or "it's cute fluff" because I think there's a lot more to it than that, and I feel like I would have been doing the franchise and its makers a disservice by not having that expectation for a theatrical movie. If I was setting myself up for disappointment, so be it. I'd rather be disappointed than indifferent.

Edited by n1029

I never really understood the level of hype the film got. I mean I absolutely hold the series in high regard, but I try to not level expectations at each individual episodes. I find that I tend to enjoy things more if I let them tell their story. That doesn't always work, but it usually does. I did the same for the movie; especially with all of the new characters being focused on and the amount of time the movie had to introduce them. Really, I don't know what people expected in general. As much as I love FiM, it's nothing ground-breaking and I felt the same with the film. It had flaws sure, but I enjoyed the movie regardless.

• Brohoof 5

Honestly, I haven't even watched the new movie yet, and I never really had high expectations for it, considering the first Equestria Movie was fairly mediocre (though true, it happened to be the one considered to be the worst of the three), and I haven't watched the other two yet (partially because of a specific problem I had with the movie involving the way the mane six are animated as humans, but mostly because the first movie left me not really caring). Though I also don't understand why people get so irritated with other people expressing disappointment, it's a bit ridiculous and honestly a bit childish, and I also fail to understand why some people think they know you had high standards for something because you said you were disappointed with it, basically acting like their opinion of it is the only valid opinion. I've seen this done A LOT over the movie.

It's a bit different than what I expect out of the series itself, though, where I expect the episodes to be fairly good most of the time (I mean MOST considering there where some episodes I went in with low standards looking at descriptions of an episode, and was disappointed even then (Hard to Say Anything)...). The series usually delivers on the expectation I have of it most of the time, so it's actually pretty reasonable for me to have it.

Reasonable, if not none. I mean, if we (the fandom) were the target audience, then i wouild have some reasonable exectations, however since the movie and tv series are marketed towards young girls, we shouldnt expectsomething so much from something so little.

and plus, hasbro could give less of a hoot what we think. Like i said, were not the target audience, so why should hasbro listen?

5 minutes ago, Ninetales said:

Reasonable, if not none. I mean, if we (the fandom) were the target audience, then i wouild have some reasonable exectations, however since the movie and tv series are marketed towards young girls, we shouldnt expectsomething so much from something so little.

and plus, hasbro could give less of a hoot what we think. Like i said, were not the target audience, so why should hasbro listen?

Oh I don't know, because we buy stuff from them related to the show, and that just happens to be exactly why they made it in the first place? Even if that weren't the case, it would be downright stupid if they tried to not listen to a part of their audience because 'they aren't the target audience." It's honestly a pretty dumb excuse.

11 minutes ago, Nerdy Luigi said:

Oh I don't know, because we buy stuff from them related to the show, and that just happens to be exactly why they made it in the first place? Even if that weren't the case, it would be downright stupid if they tried to not listen to a part of their audience because 'they aren't the target audience." It's honestly a pretty dumb excuse.

Its stuid, but its how businesses work. Unless you are the target audience, your opinion means nothing. We could buyall the plushies in the world and fill hasbro with as much money as we want, but at the end of the day, unless we tranformed into 8 year old females, we arent the people hasbro wants to listen to. 

edit: I got reminded of the time they actually shredded a fan's letter at one point. Im not kidding, they SHREDDED it. So basically hasbro has stopped giving a buck about what we think.

which i consider a blessing, have you seen some of the ideas this fanbase has come up with? Yikers

Edited by Ninetales

Just now, Ninetales said:

Its stuid, but its how businesses work. Unless you are the target audience, your opinion means nothing. We could buyall the plushies in the world and fill hasbro with as much money as we want, but at the end of the day, unless we tranformed into 8 year old females, we arent the people hasbro wants to listen to.

which i consider a blessing, have you seen some of the ideas this fanbase has come up with? Yikers

Intentionally not listening to entire sections of their consumers/audience/playerbase is quite the flaw, and by the terminology, you probably can tell I think Hasbro isn't the only company that has that problem (*cough cough* Hi-Rez, except with a specific section of the Paladins playerbase *cough cough*).

Of course I mean they should listen to us, but not on ideas like I think you're talking about here, because those ideas are terrible, especially for shows like this one x_x...

Just now, Nerdy Luigi said:

Intentionally not listening to entire sections of their consumers/audience/playerbase is quite the flaw, and by the terminology, you probably can tell I think Hasbro isn't the only company that has that problem (*cough cough* Hi-Rez, except with a specific section of the Paladins playerbase *cough cough*).

Of course I mean they should listen to us, but not on ideas like I think you're talking about here, because those ideas are terrible, especially for shows like this one x_x...

I know, thats why i added a detail. Its reddit, so you may want to avoid the comment section.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/3ld5bw/hasbro_destroyed_my_10_year_old_daughters_letter/

basically, a ten year girl sent a fan letter to hasbro, a drawing of rainbow dash, and everything. And hasbro shredded it and told her they shredded the drawing. The message is clear "we don't care what you think."  

7 minutes ago, Ninetales said:

I know, thats why i added a detail. Its reddit, so you may want to avoid the comment section.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/3ld5bw/hasbro_destroyed_my_10_year_old_daughters_letter/

basically, a ten year girl sent a fan letter to hasbro, a drawing of rainbow dash, and everything. And hasbro shredded it and told her they shredded the drawing. The message is clear "we don't care what you think."  

I was talking about Paladins here as well, because I actually got an infraction on their official forum for sharing an opinion FROM THE GAME'S LEAD COMMUNITY MANAGER. I was so angry with her for the longest time, not thinking that she wasn't a problem, Hi-Rez's higher-ups, as well as a prickish mod doing their dirty work (got a lot of other nonsense reports from him) and having the audacity to lie about being a volunteer mod (well clearly not, or else there's no way he'd be so clearly in their pocket), are. They literally try to silence members of their own community that don't entirely agree with their perspective on the game's direction, and the subreddit took it a step further, actually ATTACKING (I mean as in PERSONAL ATTACKS, it's THAT BAD) people that don't agree with the perspective that Hi-Rez is taking the game in a good direction (or on their perception of the game's meta either), and they totally would have silenced me if it were in their power. Doesn't matter anyways because they clearly don't want me or anybody that disagrees with them on there anyways.

I guess the mini-rant is over. Hasbro's that way also, though, and they were such pricks to that poor girl...

1 minute ago, Nerdy Luigi said:

I was talking about Paladins here as well, because I actually got an infraction on their official forum for sharing an opinion FROM THE GAME'S LEAD COMMUNITY MANAGER. I was so angry with her for the longest time, not thinking that she wasn't a problem, Hi-Rez's higher-ups, as well as a prickish mod doing their dirty work (got a lot of other nonsense reports from him) and having the audacity to lie about being a volunteer mod (well clearly not, or else there's no way he'd be so clearly in their pocket), are. They literally try to silence members of their own community that don't entirely agree with their perspective on the game's direction, and the subreddit took it a step further, actually ATTACKING (I mean as in PERSONAL ATTACKS, it's THAT BAD) people that don't agree with the perspective that Hi-Rez is taking the game in a good direction (or on their perception of the game's meta either), and they totally would have silenced me if it were in their power. Doesn't matter anyways because they clearly don't want me or anybody that disagrees with them on there anyways.

I guess the mini-rant is over. Hasbro's that way also, though, and they were such pricks to that poor girl...

Yeah, i heard a lot of bad things about paladins.

Just now, Ninetales said:

Yeah, i heard a lot of bad things about paladins.

The game was actually in a really good state a few months ago, but Hi-Rez completely messed it up since and now it's basically not even enjoyable anymore. Doesn't help that it has the most toxic subreddit I've ever seen (I have seen a good few bad ones), though that perception may be because of the fact that I haven't been to some of the more infamous communities (like TheDonald, MensRights or TwoXChromosomes), and I'm happy about that because of the terrible things I've heard...

3 minutes ago, Nerdy Luigi said:

The game was actually in a really good state a few months ago, but Hi-Rez completely messed it up since and now it's basically not even enjoyable anymore. Doesn't help that it has the most toxic subreddit I've ever seen (I have seen a good few bad ones), though that perception may be because of the fact that I haven't been to some of the more infamous communities (like TheDonald, MensRights or TwoXChromosomes), and I'm happy about that because of the terrible things I've heard...

Yeah, toxic members ruin the fun.

• Brohoof 1

My expectations were actually exceeded. I wanted to see a film staring some of my favorite characters on the big screen. I expected a 90 minute light adventure that invoked the same things I enjoy from the main series. In the lead up to the film I anticipated it more and more, yet I maintained those expectations. I was hyped, for nothing more than what I expected. I celebrated the film by making it an event in a way, here and a bit at home. I saw the film and ... it was actually better than I expected originally. I wasn't let down. 

Look, I don't go through life unsatisfied when every moment of life isn't an exhilarating slice of heaven. I recognize a masterpiece, but at the end of the day, if I can answer this question in the affirmative, it's a success:

"Was it worth it?"

That is not limited to film, to games, or anything in particular. I ask that question about my day. About my visit to the store to pick up groceries. About yard work. About a hug my kid gives me. It's the driving question upon which I base much of my day to day joy meter on. 

This movie ... was worth it. To be part of the conversation, I'll point out its flaws and the things I really loved. I'll play the game of assigning an ephemeral experience a numerical grade and call it good. But in the end ... that one question is all I need ... and then I say 'next?'

• Brohoof 1

Not expecting it to break records, win any awards, starting a new animation renaissance, expecting it to give you a blowjob, etc.,

There's nothing wrong with just wanting an enjoyable movie

• Brohoof 2

Well, I expected it to be my new favorite movie. To join the show as my favorite show.

It's now my favorite movie. Much like I do Disney movies, I excuse the glaring flaws and just go for the fun I had watching, and MLP was one of the most fun experiences I had watching a movie. It was simple, more so than the show is these days, but it was fun and embodied the spirit of the show I love so much.