Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rank Banished

Deae Rising Shine~

I saw some people with that and I saw many saying, that's because they are banned. If that's true however, why are there so many of my old - banned - friends, that don't have that? Surprised by how often that stuff came up, that nopony asked yet. Because I remember that this was some joke for Nightmare Night to those with Blank Flank Ranks, but I see by now BFs and Banished ones. I'm confused.:muffins:

• Brohoof 3

17 minutes ago, Deae Rising Shine~ said:

I saw some people with that and I saw many saying, that's because they are banned. If that's true however, why are there so many of my old - banned - friends, that don't have that? Surprised by how often that stuff came up, that nopony asked yet. Because I remember that this was some joke for Nightmare Night to those with Blank Flank Ranks, but I see by now BFs and Banished ones. I'm confused.:muffins:

Ask a mod to ban you

Then u can get that rank

I just ate Jeric for my title

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Deae Rising Shine~ said:

Because I remember that this was some joke for Nightmare Night to those with Blank Flank Ranks

Heh. I wonder who came up with that one. :umad:

1 hour ago, BloodDrops said:

I just ate Jeric for my title

Me too!

• Brohoof 3

The answer is annoying, actually. Back with IP.B 3.0 (the software the forums used to be on), banned people had their profiles locked and hidden, and it was immediately obvious who was banned and who wasn't because their avatars and the like were grayed out and unclickable on their posts. When we 'upgraded' to IP.B 4.0 that went away and all those banned accounts became visible and clickable again. We haven't got a dedicated developer type up to speed on the system, and even then there are higher priority stuff for them to be working on when we get one, so fixing that isn't going to happen any time soon.

So I decided to try to create a workaround that I *do* have access to. I created a 'Banished' permission group, and set it so that anyone who gets banned gets automatically set to banished. That way it's immediately obvious that the account is banned. However, it doesn't work retroactively and I have to go through the entire ban list manually one by one and move the accounts to that new permission set. And thanks to spammers who create a massive number of accounts each 'flood', that ban list is pretty hefty now. So I'm slowly working my way through the list, starting at the most recent and going backwards.

I guess the real problem here is that we didn't really differentiate between spam bans and rule breaking bans in the past, so the list is stupidly large. 

• Brohoof 9

2 minutes ago, Deae Rising Shine~ said:

Ah, alright, good to know. was surprised that an user that is here like few hours had a banished sign, guess they where quick in rule-breaking o-o. Answered, I guess the topic can be closed then.^^

That happens pretty frequently - trolls arrive, trolls troll, trolls get banished....

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Fhaolan said:

And thanks to spammers who create a massive number of accounts each 'flood', that ban list is pretty hefty now. So I'm slowly working my way through the list, starting at the most recent and going backwards.

Well, since you gave yourself all that extra work, why not just double down and separate the two. Bring back Magical Kindergarten and pop the spammer and trolls in that permission group. You know my golden rule, why do one thing when you can to two at twice the time. 

giphy.gif

Me when @Fhaolan reads this.

• Brohoof 5

• 3 months later...
On 11/20/2017 at 11:49 AM, Fhaolan said:

The answer is annoying, actually. Back with IP.B 3.0 (the software the forums used to be on), banned people had their profiles locked and hidden, and it was immediately obvious who was banned and who wasn't because their avatars and the like were grayed out and unclickable on their posts. When we 'upgraded' to IP.B 4.0 that went away and all those banned accounts became visible and clickable again. We haven't got a dedicated developer type up to speed on the system, and even then there are higher priority stuff for them to be working on when we get one, so fixing that isn't going to happen any time soon.

So I decided to try to create a workaround that I *do* have access to. I created a 'Banished' permission group, and set it so that anyone who gets banned gets automatically set to banished. That way it's immediately obvious that the account is banned. However, it doesn't work retroactively and I have to go through the entire ban list manually one by one and move the accounts to that new permission set. And thanks to spammers who create a massive number of accounts each 'flood', that ban list is pretty hefty now. So I'm slowly working my way through the list, starting at the most recent and going backwards.

I guess the real problem here is that we didn't really differentiate between spam bans and rule breaking bans in the past, so the list is stupidly large. 

Yeah, it was weird you bad can access banned user accounts. Does that mean they can access their accounts if they wanted :huh:?

25 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Yeah, it was weird you bad can access banned user accounts. Does that mean they can access their accounts if they wanted :huh:?

I don't think it's necessarily bad to be able to see banned users. You were able to see them in their posts anyway, the only difference is, that you can now view their profile page, that most likely will be cleaned from any rule-breaking content, so you won't find much there anyway. You can view their profile, but it doesn't really have any purpose I suppose. :icwudt:

And no, they can't access their accounts. They can view the forums and their profile page when not logged in, like we do, but when they'll attempt to login into their banned account, they won't be able to view the site anymore. They'll have a message saying, that they are banned along with their warn log displayed instead. There's even no logout button, so they can't get rid of the message, thus just are unable to browse the site. They can come up with workarounds, to get back to not logged in status though. Either way, there's no way they can access their banned account (unless un-banned by the staff), so... rip. :derp:

• Brohoof 1