Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming PS4 and Xbox One; Is it worth owning both?

joanro

Okay, so I am making this topic for me, but hopefully, it will be helpful for other people as well who might be considering the same thing. 

So, I am thinking about picking up a PS4. Black Friday deals have started and the PS4 is at $199 right now which I think is a really good deal. So, what's the problem? Well, I already own an Xbox One. My question is do you think it's worth owning both? I have considered buying a PS4 in the past, but I think that both consoles are really similar and it doesn't seem worth it to spend $300 on another console(however, $199 is another story). The biggest difference seems to be their exclusive games.

So, what do y'all think? Do you own both an Xbox One and a PS4? If you do, do you think it is worth it?

Edited by joanro
  • Brohoof 1

It depends. 

For me, it all comes down to the software. Both systems have great exclusives, so if you like the exclusive offerings of both systems, and can afford to buy-in to both, it can be worth it. 

If your gaming tastes tend to be centered around third party offerings that will be on both platforms, then the value of owning both is greatly diminished. 

It largely depends on how you value a console's exclusives; if you will. I happen to like exclusives on both platforms, so I go for it, but that method will not be for everyone.

• Brohoof 1

There's a lot of factors that can go into this. Budget, time, preferences, things like that. With both systems having a paid online service, that can add up quickly with both despite their distinct advantages. Then of course there's the library of games, which someone can benefit definitely from having both systems, but again, that depends on the person's budget and time constraints, among other things.

I personally am a gamer that likes to mainly stick to one console and one handheld, makes everything easier to manage. I know some people in the gaming community will say that having both is an absolute must or having one and a PC or one of those and Switch is the way to go, but for me, keeping it down to one console and one handheld is better for my budget and lets me focus easier on the games for them.

29 minutes ago, Jeric said:

It depends. 

For me, it all comes down to the software. Both systems have great exclusives, so if you like the exclusive offerings of both systems, and can afford to buy-in to both, it can be worth it. 

If your gaming tastes tend to be centered around third party offerings that will be on both platforms, then the value of owning both is greatly diminished. 

There are at least five games I am interested in playing on the PS4 right now. I don't know if that is enough or not to justify a purchase.

16 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

It largely depends on how you value a console's exclusives; if you will. I happen to like exclusives on both platforms, so I go for it, but that method will not be for everyone.

I can't say that I like everything the PS4 has to offer, but there are definitely games I would want to play on the PS4.

15 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

There's a lot of factors that can go into this. Budget, time, preferences, things like that. With both systems having a paid online service, that can add up quickly with both despite their distinct advantages. Then of course there's the library of games, which someone can benefit definitely from having both systems, but again, that depends on the person's budget and time constraints, among other things.

I personally am a gamer that likes to mainly stick to one console and one handheld, makes everything easier to manage. I know some people in the gaming community will say that having both is an absolute must or having one and a PC or one of those and Switch is the way to go, but for me, keeping it down to one console and one handheld is better for my budget and lets me focus easier on the games for them.

Yeah, I imagine most people who own both are probably playing one more than the other. It is one of those "is the grass greener on the other side?" kind of things for me. I had both last gen and I didn't think it was that great. However, there are more games I would want to play on the PS4 then there was on the PS3, so there's that.

Edited by joanro

If you can afford both, go for it. The PS4 has a great library of exclusives already, and there are plenty more on the way just in the next year.

well it also depends on what service you like xbox live or psn if you remember they had that 2 week psn shutdown a few years ago when they got hacked way back and for xbox live well....i dont remember them had to shut down for anything besides some maintenance updates but if you want a ps4 just for the exclusives then go ahead ! it is worth having both i have the xbox one s and ps4 pro and sadly to say that the ps4 do have more exclusives but xbox live service is more reliable.

52 minutes ago, Storm Shock said:

well it also depends on what service you like xbox live or psn if you remember they had that 2 week psn shutdown a few years ago when they got hacked way back and for xbox live well....i dont remember them had to shut down for anything besides some maintenance updates but if you want a ps4 just for the exclusives then go ahead ! it is worth having both i have the xbox one s and ps4 pro and sadly to say that the ps4 do have more exclusives but xbox live service is more reliable.

yeah, but sony gave a two week membership extension to all ps plus subscribers when they went back online

I personally like the ps4, I never owned a xbox one, but the ps4 is worth it

• Brohoof 1

21 minutes ago, KrazyDashie said:

yeah, but sony gave a two week membership extension to all ps plus subscribers when they went back online

I personally like the ps4, I never owned a xbox one, but the ps4 is worth it

Also, Xbox has had it's fair share of online fuckups, Sony isn't the only one. The only platform that's never really had outages is PC, but that doesn't have a unified system like XBLA or PSN.

Out of experience with currently owning both the Xbox 1 and the gold ps4 , it is both helpful and not helpful to own both for these reasons:

Pros:

1. You get a wider selection of games.

2.  You can watch a wider variety of shows on kodi, Netflix, YouTube and more.

cons:

1.it takes up more time to set the consoles up

2. Unlike mlp forums, you can't trust most people who want to be your friend 

3. Unless you have 2 or more televisions, it's impossible to own both.

Ps.it's helpful to own a membership on Xbox or ps4(you get free games!)

As a PC gamer, I say no. All the formerly exclusive games for the Xbone are also on the Windows store, and while there are a couple of games for the PS4 that seem cool, there are very good alternatives that are multiplatform.

• Brohoof 1

57 minutes ago, Vulon Bii said:

As a PC gamer, I say no. All the formerly exclusive games for the Xbone are also on the Windows store, and while there are a couple of games for the PS4 that seem cool, there are very good alternatives that are multiplatform.

I'd agree as a whole, but it also comes down to personal preference, you may think the PS4 only has a couple good games, but others, such as myself think what's exclusive on it are worthwhile. Same goes for the Switch. I'm a PC gamer first and foremost but I also am interested in what's on the PS4 and Switch that I cannot get on the PC.

• 3 years later...