Denim&Venom

News Net Neutrality Under Threat?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/21/technology/fcc-net-neutrality.html

So apparently, the FCC want's to de-regulate the fair use rules that allow for net neutrality. That all customers get data at the same rate, at the same time. 

Supposedly the plan is to have companies intervene by granting faster access to their customers.  But many are worried that this will be an excuse for companies to hike up prices for faster service, deliberately slowing down internet speeds for those who aren't paying enough, and restricting access to certain sites. 

The vote begins tomorrow. 

Should we be worried? Is it as bad as people are saying? 

• Brohoof 4

Extremely worried. The FCC has shown an obvious disregard for the millions of concerned citizens who want net neutrality to remain in place. Ajit Pai wants to appease his previous employer, Verizon, as well as every other major ISP in the USA. An example of how bad not having NN can be seen in Portugal, with it's packages to access certain types of apps/websites. However, many organizations have made it clear they will attempt to sue if this passes. I cannot wait to witness how the ACLU responds to it. This goes to show how bad political corruption in America is- our politicians work for big business. They don't care what we want anymore.

Edited by Dusk Nova
  • Brohoof 8

I'm sorry for using this word but... This whole situation is RETARDED. The FCC is now the face of political retardation!!! Do they honestly think we are going to bend over and let them have their way with us??? HELL NO!!! 

• Brohoof 2

6 minutes ago, PuddingPonyPal said:

I'm sorry for using this word but... This whole situation is RETARDED. The FCC is now the face of political retardation!!! Do they honestly think we are going to bend over and let them have their way with us??? HELL NO!!! 

We can say we won't let them have their way with us and we won't let it happen, but the problem is: The FCC doesn't care and Ajit Pai made it extremely clear that he doesn't care about the 20 million comments made in favor of NN, saying "quality" matters more than quantity. He's ignoring the public's outcry because he favors the big ISPs over us. Whether we like it or not, it's unlikely that we are going to see net neutrality get saved, at least in the original vote. We will have to wait and see what the reaction is from congress and organizations like the ACLU.

Edited by Dusk Nova
  • Brohoof 1

Net neutrality is definitely in danger, and I anticipate the fight will continue for the next several years. Last time we had a victory due to immense public pressure, but not as many people are paying attention now due to the admittedly equally important tax policy

• Brohoof 1

as long as "companies" are involved aren't we going to be under threat perpetually? 

Badges

I usually don’t involve myself in such discussions, but this is incredibly unacceptable. The Internet should remain free and open, not abused to squeeze every cent out of our wallets and play favorites. ISP’s telling us they’re doing it doesn’t change the fact that they’re doing it to begin with. This whole situation is terrible.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah this is seriously all because of Trump as he's ultimately the one who wants internet neutrality gone because it was originally one of Obama's policies. So Trump is trying to get rid of all of Obama's work and getting rid of internet neutrality is a part of it. Though even though I live in Australia I'm a little worried about this as it's going to effect a ton of massive YouTubers as most famous YouTubers are actually based in the USA. :)

• Brohoof 2

I'm usually not toxic - but...Ajit Pai is a piddle wanking, F*** face! He's so f_cking annoying and he uses super-scripts--OMFG, does he ever! FCC stop with this schniz, mang! PLZ!

P.S. I'm done. No wait... REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :lol:

This is just Trump proving even more that he is a pathetic sack of shit. He is so dedicated to get rid of everything Obama ever did that he will piss all over us to do it. What I fear most, is that this will get validated. It seems the republicans hold the majority on this vote and we all know they will lick Trump's boots like most of them do. Gotta please the billionaire. Fucking hell I am so sick of this presidency, holy shit.

As you can tell, I am frustrated by this situation. We, the consumer, will benefit in no way whatsoever from this. The corporations will do whatever they can to drain us of money, in any way possible and this will open those flood gates. Not everything Obama did was great, but this particular thing, I think it is a pretty good idea to have rules in place so that ISP's will treat their customer's fairly. Now Trump wants to get rid of all of that, because, well, Obama did it! Then again, what else do we expect from an egotistical billionaire that has no brain whatsoever?

• Brohoof 3

If you ask me, this reeks along the lines of the TPP -- which Trump is against, not for.

Just now, A.V. said:

If you ask me, this reeks along the lines of the TPP -- which Trump is against, not for.

US have withdrawn from the TPP as I understand it - and the canadians are busy stripping out all the corporate sovereignty and copyright trolling bits to make it more palatable to the europeans...

• Brohoof 1

Just now, CypherHoof said:

US have withdrawn from the TPP as I understand it

I know.

I meant that this anti-net-neutrality thing reminds me of it.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, A.V. said:

I know.

I meant that this anti-net-neutrality thing reminds me of it.

Yeah. Bottom line I would say is that TPP was an attempt to do an endrun around congress by arranging for an international treaty (which congress must then honor) and the current FCC moves are because Trump has managed to put a corporate sockpuppet in charge who can then remove well thought out, pro-consumer regulations... again without needing congressional approval.

• Brohoof 1

Coming from a non-neutral country...I actually like our semi- non-neutrality....  We get Facebook for free and extra data on YouTube.... And honestly having the ability to cherry pick a couple apps or sites that I use has always been a sweet deal since they never gave this much data in the past. 

I still believe in us net neutrality though...the telecoms over there aren't as nice from what I hear. 

20 minutes ago, Vulcan said:

Coming from a non-neutral country...I actually like our semi- non-neutrality....  We get Facebook for free and extra data on YouTube.... And honestly having the ability to cherry pick a couple apps or sites that I use has always been a sweet deal since they never gave this much data in the past. 

I still believe in us net neutrality though...the telecoms over there aren't as nice from what I hear. 

Yeah, the ISPs here charge awful amounts for some of the slowest internet in the developed world. If we didnt have net neutrality here, it would only get worse with fast lanes and paid prioritization, on top of splitting websites into packages. We'd be paying even more for an even slower, controlled, and sectioned off internet. The stakes are pretty bad.

7 hours ago, DuskSong said:

Yeah, the ISPs here charge awful amounts for some of the slowest internet in the developed world. If we didnt have net neutrality here, it would only get worse with fast lanes and paid prioritization, on top of splitting websites into packages. We'd be paying even more for an even slower, controlled, and sectioned off internet. The stakes are pretty bad.

Just googled US data plans....and its 3 times as much as ours o-o

....though when you take into account the higher Minimum wage in the US its not that bad :0

Edited by Vulcan