Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

When was your house built?

Kaneki

2 minutes ago, Mirage said:

The house I live in was started in 1929, building finished in 1935 (it's stone masonry).

Neat! Is it nice?

The house I used to live in (and grew up in for the first 11 years of my life) was built in 1937, so I love old houses. Something to do with the fact I grew up in one :3

1920. Big difference from where i lived prior: my parents custom built house from 2001.

One thing I love about this old house is the steam heat system. When it fires right it's so effective. Too bad we dont have modern insulation or we'd be downright toasty all winter.

The house that I live in at home was built in the early 1960s. I can tell this, because the plaster for the walls has hair mixed in, and they used hair as a binder for plaster back in in the 60s and 70s.

My Dorm that I live in (Washington Hall on the Campus of Western Illinois University) was built in the early 60s, and refurbished in 2013.

loving this topic as I work in a Building Survey company which specializes in Historic and Listed buildings ^_^ 

THIS IS MY JOB!!!!!!

My current house is late Victorian- early 20th Century, small red brick terrace town house. 

My old house is much grander, its a mid C19th/Victorian, three storey red brick semi detached town house, with a Coach house/stable in the back originally leading onto the road behind. Before me moved in, it was owned by my school at the time - look it up (Taunton School), C18th private day and boarding school. 

My parents' current house is an C18th (maybe even C17th) Converted Coach house, with an annexe building that housed the original water pump and well. If you took up the floor boards and cracked the concrete underneath, you will find a massive deep ex-well shaft. Their house is the Coach house and stables to the big manor house next door (converted split into flats). Its all stone and was converted into 3 flats, so its kinda upside down with no interior stairs. 

The best house we lived in was our old, old house. An early C18th Manor estate, with the original stables and barns. You can look it up, it's called Bradford Court (Somerset). since we left, its been renovated at least 3 times, with the pool in-filled, the tennis courts demolished, the barns and stables converted and divided off the grounds and a ghastly glass modern box house built in the former front grounds by the driveway.  I wish I was old enough to have appreciated that house when we lived there. I do so miss what it was. The gardens were stunning. 

Living in the UK is just always full of history - I live in the South West, where there are several thousand listed properties, including castles and churches, its not a very modernised part of the country and my Dad fights to protect and preserve these buildings! 80% of the country do not appreciate the old houses they live or work in. But Im so glad I now work in this business. Theres history locked in every nail, board and stone! 

Edited by StormBlaze
  • Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...