Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

planning Fractured Futures: World Building OOC

GoldieS

Hello Mares and Gentlecolts, hens and roosters, dogs and doggies, etc.! I had a dream recently... it had nothing to do with this, but the shading was amazing... 

That being said, I was wondering if anyone was interested in exploring a dark (literally and figuratively) dystopian futuristic world with that classical MLP world foundation. Think mega cities half abandoned, some post apocalyptic landscape, privileged and underprivileged masses, mutants, monsters, maybe aliens? The gloves are off!! Ideas anyone? Throw some my way! I like talking about this stuff. Specifics or broad concepts welcome!

So here's what I got so far: 

Has to be based in a futuresque Equestria. Some major conflict or overcrowding caused some event to destroy a mass majority of the population, causing wide spread ruin and disaster. Many survive, securing city centers, while others spread out. More yet... change to something... else. Need's a changeling Empire. Can't not have futuristic changelings that are essentially become the world's major powers.

UPDATE: HERE'S WHAT WE GOT SO FAR---

Spoiler

Setting:

The world had become far too crowded to continue. Cities sprawling from horizon to horizon sprung up overnight to accommodate the booming populations. Both technology and magic flourished, but this expansion came at a terrible cost. Too many mouths to feed, to many differing ideologies, and not enough room. A clandestine organization developed a solution to this growing problem, a nanite plague that would cull the population. 

After the plague was spread sufficiently, it was activated. Scores died instantly, while others fought off the effects with limited success. Out of desperation, one nameless organization made numerous attempts to cure the virus. In their panicked efforts, they mistakenly altered it to disastrous effect. The plague no longer outright disposed of its host, but rather converted them into unrecognizable monstrosities, crossed with machine like components with only one goal and purpose on their singular minds: spread. 

Many years have passed, the landscape devistated by the plague and the various efforts to stop the infected. Cities collapsed into ruin, nations fractured. Inevitably the Everfree expanded far past its borders to engulf the land, spreading and overtaking the ruins of the old world while the infected continued to lurk within. 

Now, Equestria is nothing more than fractured Megas Citeis dotting its landscape among the ruins of the old world, threatened by the infected who continue to grow in number, along with the countless monstrosities that flourished in this new world.

City States/Factions:

Troneon: A mega city in the eastern section of northern Equestria, Troneon connected with Mainhattan due to the two's sheer size. During the cataclysmic years after the deployment of the plague, both cities were plunged into chaos and destruction. Mainhattan didn't survive, but a small section of Troneon managed to remain secured. Over the years the majority of its aging population was replaced with machines, turning the city into a haven of mechanized scientific innovation. To this day its mechanized inhabitants continue their duties, while intellects of all levels hide deep within its sparkling towers conducting research to whatever ends they please.

It's not uncommon to see scores of machines wandering the husks of the old city surrounding what's left of Troneon, stripping buildings for materials and mining deep beneath the streets.  

Troneon is a technocratic society at its core, casting off traditional values in favor of those that would see to the advancement of their research. The city is led by a counsel of lead researchers, each division leaders of their respective fields of study within the city itself, headed by Techno Universal.

Visitors to the region note the cities shining edifices, and towering structures that can often reach well into the clouds.

New Everfree City: Ponyville, like many towns and villages, grew to exponential size in the years prior to the plague, right along side Canterlot proper. Both grew across the plains and down the mountains to meet each other and combined into yet another mega city. The plague, wasn't kind to either city, but both were defended by a robust force of both alicorns and loyal soldiers. 

While the population was decimated in the ensuing conflict, they maintained numerous bastions of safety within city limits, most notably as a result of robust intervention from the Bolt Solutions Corporation. Eventually the city was secured, but many were disillusioned by the infected and their roots in advanced technology. Eventually, this lead to the decision to ban most forms of advanced technology. 

Bolt Solutions, was in the perfect position to capitalize on these new developments. With a focus on magitek, and headed by Director Lektra, Bolt Solutions was granted the right to overhaul the city infrastructure and expand as needed. Naturally, they required more and more autonomy to accomplish this goal. Eventually, they were granted complete freedom and control, being essentially elected as the sole governing body of New Everfree. Magitek research exploded, turning the city into an arcane paradise, protected from the outside by powerful defensive magical shields. Gradually, they've become an important trading city due to their centralized location, becoming a beacon of hope for the many settlements and refugees scattered across the Wildlands. The cities sprawling cityscape, towering blocks, and crisscrossing suspended walkways are certainly a sight to behold. 

While Princesses Celestia, Luna, and Twilight still remain active members in the government, they have become increasingly focused on individual pursuits, relinquishing more and more control to every day governance to Bolt Solutions and Lektra. 

The principle governing philosophy of New Everfree is it’s ‘no pony forgotten’ mandates. All refugees (from other cities or the wildlands themselves) are welcome, even encouraged to come to live in the city, essentially consolidating and protecting as many ponies as possible within its walls. Of course, all potential residents are required to undergo a rigorous resettlement program to ensure and understanding of both values, laws, and expectations. Those that aren’t able to meet the requirements are removed from the program.

Ponies from New Everfree are generally described as kind, caring, forgiving, and helpful, much like what Ponyville and pony society was once known for long before the plague.

Hayseed City: Initially Hayseed City was nothing more than a collection of suburbs and basic city services prior to the outbreak. Most commuted to the nearby mega cities before the cataclysm. The limited travel and lower density gave the smaller city a substantial advantage in surviving the apocalypse. Unfortunately, many casualties were still sustained during the following years. After securing a foothold in the center of the city, their safety was finally secured. 

Residents still actively fight the many infected that roam the surrounding abandoned city and swamp, preventing residents from spreading outward. Instead, they've decided to spread upward. It took considerable effort and time, battling the infected for the scavenged resources of the surrounding city, but Hayseed eventually acquired enough materials to build something resembling a giant archology. 

The archology resembled some sort of steampunk factory sector, expanding high into the air for all to see and taller in size to any other structure in the known world. Hayseed City is famed for their hanging gardens, farms that protrude outward from the tower, vines hanging off the sides. The more privileged often make an extra effort to trade with Hayseed City, specifically for their amazing fruits. 

Lost Pegasus: Lost Pegasus, originally Los pegasus, is perhaps the most infamous mega city in Equestria. The entire population of the city had been decimated by the plague and infected, but it's relative seclusion was an issue for remaining infected. Shortly after the city was overrun, the entire population of remaining infected migrated northward. Hundreds of thousands spread across the countryside adding to the devastation and pre-existing hordes. 

As time went on, the city was virtually lost to history and the desert. It wasn't until a band of raiders re-discovered it that it adopted the name of Lost Pegasus, turning into a hub for pirates, raiders, and those of ill repute. Before the plague the city was known for its nightlife and sinful ways, in addition to one of the worlds largest pony made canals snaking its way through the city.

While the city remains a utopia for the criminal element, it has also become a legitimate city state, boasting a strong maritime economy and self-proclaimed productive members of society. It looks more like a junk town than an actual city... but if someone's looking for contraband from the old world without having to brave the infected ruins, Lost Pegasus is the place to go. 

Republic of Dave: Dave was a low level employee of Thunderworks Incorperated, a strong competitive rival to the more famous Bolt Solutions. He worked as an assistant to Director Smaragdus when the outbreak occurred, working in a secret RND facility in the western reaches of the Unicorn Range. The facility was quickly abandoned, leaving Smaragdus and Dave alone in the sprawling complex. 

Smaragdus, not willing to surrender his research to the black void of history, decided to take drastic measures. Using experimental magic and untested technology, Smaragdus began an intense and high yield cloning program. Slow at first, the cloning process eventually exploded into thousands of subjects as the complex was completely converted for the purpose of cloning Dave Dirt Trotter. 

Smaragdus maintains his age through unknown means while continuing to pump out more and more clones of Dave. Those clones in turn began building a larger underground complex, until it became a full fledged city consisting only Smaragdus, and tens of thousands of Daves. The Republic's chief export is Dave. 

Recently an odd rumor has been spreading through the wildland’s settlements, claiming that Bolt Solutions was in fact the creator of the plague in its current state. It wasn’t hard to trace the rumors back to the Daves that frequently trade with the surrounding settlements. The rumor has become so widespread, many settlements have begun outright refusing to deal with Bolt Solutions for fear they will attempt to turn them into the infected. There is mounting evidence that the cloning methods used by Smaragdus are based on old patented methods developed by Bolt Solutions themselves.

Changeling Empire (House Pisces): Out of all the houses of the changeling Empires, House Pisces is perhaps the most dominant and most… unusual. Rather than continue the trend of developing the clandestine side of the changeling culture, House Pisces embraces its more insectoid side, and its so called biological superiority. This is done via magical alteration of their biological self, resulting in the ‘next generation’ of the changeling species.

While the Empire boasts control of an entire continent, and more, across the great ocean to the west, house Pisces maintains its first Equestrian colony in the ruins of Vanhoover. From there, Pisces ships their changeling war machine to Equestria in an attempt to secure its most precious resource, ponies.

The changeling philosophy is simple; they are a superior species, thus it is their responsibility to protect all other species from the horrors they brought upon themselves. After being placed in a unique advantageous position after the plague, it very much appears as though they are set to accomplish this ultimate object.

Despite their cast system and biological specializations, changelings from House Pisces are encouraged to think and express individualism. This in turn improves the ability to produce unique and creative solutions to the many obstacles presented to them individually. Because of this, they are generally thought of as helpful, respectful, and very emotionally in tune, despite their imperial ambitions. It isn’t uncommon for a pod of Pisces changelings go out of their way to help a pony settlement, even if it means sacrifice.

Remnants: In the southernmost reaches of the Equestrian continent lies the Remnants. The Remnants boast easily the larges claim to territory on the Equestrian continent in terms of physical size, but are only marginally larger in terms of population than the other factions. However, the Remnants do possess a substantial quantity of unmined mineral deposits and viable agricultural lands.

In addition to these natural resources, the Remnants have in their possession a massive stockpile of pre-plague weaponry and equipment. Despite the Domain of the Storm King collapsing during the plague, its various states remained linked together through the common goal of survival, and hatred for those who caused the devastation.

The Remnants, or former Storm King’s Realm, consist entirely of non-pony species. These include, but are not limited to; diamond dogs, gnolls, griffons, thestrals(bat ponies), avians, felines, aquatics, sphinxes, simians, dragons, shadhavars, hippogryphs, and kirin. Typically, outlanders are not welcome, so long as they can be identified as such. This typically makes trade with the more equine north exceptionally difficult at times.

Wildlands Settlements: The wildlands settlements are outcroppings of civilizations that dot the landscape of Equestria. They aren’t typically large settlements, and are more often than not, isolated homesteads that inevitably flourished into small communities. Allegiance to the major factions vary widely.

These settlements can be found in makeshift slums as well as more permanent organized dwellings. Many settlements even take advantage of the ruins of the old world, taking up root there within due to the ease of converting the husks of buildings into dwellings.

Raiders/Pirates: Even after the apocalypse, the criminal element continues to operate. Consisting of desperate settlers of the wildlands, children stolen away from their parents, those born into the lifestyle, and those who merely vie for the excitement, raider and pirate gangs vary in culture and purpose. However, most adhere to certain unwritten standards, and operate frequently with Lost Pegasus.

If nothing else, raiders typically don’t squelch on a deal, for fear of damaging their own reputation and future prospects. Double crossing isn’t usually good for business, and most gangs operate with some semblance of logic.

Edited by GoldieS
Update!
  • Brohoof 4

One of my favorite hobbies is world-building and writing lore so I'm defiantly interested in this. Science-Fantasy is more of my forte then straight Sci-Fi, but I'll see if I can come up with any ideas.

• Brohoof 1

@Galaxian Darkanine

Ah! Not to worry, since this is against the MLP backdrop, it has to have that sci-fi fantasy element to it. I suppose all elements are on the table here, that's the best thing about this particular universe... it's rather versatile. But yah, be prepared for intense world building here!! Not sure if it's okay to do that here, or elsewhere though...

3 hours ago, GoldieS said:

Hello Mares and Gentlecolts, hens and roosters, dogs and doggies, etc.! I had a dream recently... it had nothing to do with this, but the shading was amazing... 

That being said, I was wondering if anyone was interested in exploring a dark (literally and figuratively) dystopian futuristic world with that classical MLP world foundation. Think mega cities half abandoned, some post apocalyptic landscape, privileged and underprivileged masses, mutants, monsters, maybe aliens? The gloves are off!! Ideas anyone? Throw some my way! I like talking about this stuff. Specifics or broad concepts welcome!

So here's what I got so far: 

Has to be based in a futuresque Equestria. Some major conflict or overcrowding caused some event to destroy a mass majority of the population, causing wide spread ruin and disaster. Many survive, securing city centers, while others spread out. More yet... change to something... else. Need's a changeling Empire. Can't not have futuristic changelings that are essentially become the world's major powers.

Yeah maybe this is something my OC Techno might fit into as he could be the creator of a massive city called Troneon that ended up becoming mostly abandoned through the event. Plus maybe the the massive event that wiped the population was a deadly nano bot plague that was released and controlled by the equestrian government as a long planned plot for a population control operation. The nano bots were fully controlled by the government and the government then sent out the kill code to the bots when they determined enough of the equestrian population was gone. Plus I was thinking that maybe Troneon might be one of the biggest and most advanced technology development industries in equestria. :) 

• Brohoof 1

he he, nothing like a dark conspiracy to kick things off! XD

I imagine things don't go entirely to plan with that nanite plague. Plenty would be out to cure it, including foreign entities. Naturally that effort would include magical means to cure it, perhaps the attempts caused a catastrophic reaction, creating an entirely branch of the nanite plague? Perhaps spreading uncontrollably, causing cybernetic horrors to terrorize some city sectors not unlike a 'mindless horde' or zombies. Perhaps this further devastates the world, beyond initial expectations, leading to the degradation we end up with. 

Oh, but your shining city better watch out... the changeling Empire's are rising to power now, and not the nice ones. (I got to have my changelings!) 

How far into the future of regular Equestria are we talking about, exactly? I'm interested, but need this information to be able to figure out how far my character's magical advancements would have gone forward. I'm expecting at least ten to fifteen years.

I was thinking Bolt Solutions has moved completely into Ponyville with Manehattan abandoned. It is now a large benevolent conglomerate, expanding a bit beyond the borders of the original town. The city became a Magitek paradise with the magical technology being the means of daily life as well as defense from the harsh existence outside a protective magical shield.

What do you think Gold? Would you be ok with me joining like this?

As long as Techno plays fair in this, everything should be fine with both cities coexisting

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

19 minutes ago, GoldieS said:

he he, nothing like a dark conspiracy to kick things off! XD

I imagine things don't go entirely to plan with that nanite plague. Plenty would be out to cure it, including foreign entities. Naturally that effort would include magical means to cure it, perhaps the attempts caused a catastrophic reaction, creating an entirely branch of the nanite plague? Perhaps spreading uncontrollably, causing cybernetic horrors to terrorize some city sectors not unlike a 'mindless horde' or zombies. Perhaps this further devastates the world, beyond initial expectations, leading to the degradation we end up with. 

Oh, but your shining city better watch out... the changeling Empire's are rising to power now, and not the nice ones. (I got to have my changelings!) 

Yeah like maybe the nano bots go roge a they cause a full on zombie apocalypse with the zombies being extremely dangerous metal beings. Basically the nano bots would completely mutate the flesh and bones of their hosts into metal even morphing their brains into computers. The zombie bots would be extremely strong and dangerous because of their metal and highly redundant structures. Though Techno would probably fortifie his city when the outbreak occurs and he installs the most advanced and intelligent security system he can into the city. But that still wasn't fully enough to stop the changelings as they came up with very hard to detect ways to get into the city. :)

• Brohoof 1

@Lektra Bolt

Hmmm, I'm not entirely certain, though I would imagine the far flung future. To give room for all the high tech stuff, but keep space travel still a rare thing if you know what I mean. Perhaps keep it ambiguous for the time being? Then again, we'd need a bit of time to allow for the population boom and subsequent issues that follow. 

Also... I can already see it now... Equestria descending into City States amid the destruction and collapse of the old world. Ponyville could definitely act as one of the last great magic cities. One's like Mainhattan and Canterlot now a crumbling infested mess. Then again, it'd be a great place for my tech changelings to set up shop... 

So were you thinking something along the lines of having Ponyville essentially being controlled by this corporation?

@Techno Universal

Well, got to make them at least a little defeatable, maybe a half mutated machine half organic thing going on. Able to be slayed but able to keep going regardless of damage, until turned to ash or something. Can also throw in some abnormal or special infected as well, to spice things up! Different nanite evolutionary paths if you will. Some stronger than others, some faster, that sort of thing. Perhaps some nanite hosts even develope the ability to control their infected brethren, creating a hive like structure. 

• Brohoof 1

Far flung? So everyone from the show would be dead or the age of Granny in the show's present? Alright I can work with that. I'll go with what I usually do for futuristic settings, which is localized time freeze spells.

The Temporal Field allows normal functions but time is otherwise stopped while the spell is active, so aging is a non issue, but the field is required or all the time catches up. Depending on how much time has actually passed, the absence of the field would lead to extreme age or even near instant death.

But yup that's the idea, though only reformed bugs would be welcome in Ponyville, if you want those to exist at all that is. There would be heavy screenings for the other kind.

Of course when I implied controlled I meant in a good way.

How does that sound? 

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, GoldieS said:

@Lektra Bolt

Hmmm, I'm not entirely certain, though I would imagine the far flung future. To give room for all the high tech stuff, but keep space travel still a rare thing if you know what I mean. Perhaps keep it ambiguous for the time being? Then again, we'd need a bit of time to allow for the population boom and subsequent issues that follow. 

Also... I can already see it now... Equestria descending into City States amid the destruction and collapse of the old world. Ponyville could definitely act as one of the last great magic cities. One's like Mainhattan and Canterlot now a crumbling infested mess. Then again, it'd be a great place for my tech changelings to set up shop... 

So were you thinking something along the lines of having Ponyville essentially being controlled by this corporation?

@Techno Universal

Well, got to make them at least a little defeatable, maybe a half mutated machine half organic thing going on. Able to be slayed but able to keep going regardless of damage, until turned to ash or something. Can also throw in some abnormal or special infected as well, to spice things up! Different nanite evolutionary paths if you will. Some stronger than others, some faster, that sort of thing. Perhaps some nanite hosts even develope the ability to control their infected brethren, creating a hive like structure. 

Yeah like they would still have most of their torso intact so they still have biological organs that are weak points. Plus the infected would also be talking like androids to like they would always say TOTAL MALFUNCTION when they die in a computerised voice. Plus maybe we'll even have higher priority infected ponies so they could be leaders of groups of infected that they control and manage plus maybe there will be a head master infected being that would be extremely big and mutated and they would be giving the infected targets and missions. Plus the metal mutations could be completely random so you have some infected that are extremely armoured and hard to kill but they can't do much damage while you have extremely strong or fast infected to! Though most of them would be quite average to each other! :)  

• Brohoof 1

@Lektra Bolt

ah... of course... a good way... sure, I getcha... XD 

But that sounds reasonable. I imagine there would be more than a few solutions for the issues of age. Guess that could be one of the reasons for all that overpopulation? Perhaps there are some other catches as well, certain materials being required to maintain such a temporal field. The need for such materials would require a strong infrastructure to produce as well, meaning there's some real peril for those that decide to step outside the safety of the city for an extended period of time. Perhaps there are some alchemical solutions as well? Nothing like an injection to keep oneself young!

So how would they interact with some of the other city states around? Is Ponyville more of a closed of settlement now, or does it try to reach out to the others?

And I wouldn't worry about those pesky changelings... think of the black shells as more militant and stately than the green shells. While they still maintain a robust covert operations section, their far more open and organized than they once were, taking advantage of a collapsing world. They'll be assuming the rolls of those who create the hard line 'evil' tech of this world, for lack of a better word. You know, it's all for the ponies though... it's the changeling's duties to protect the ponies from themselves after all... even if it means a little sacrifice. They're a precious thing, and you know they'll just destroy themselves if they're left alone like before. Greater good, right? XD

@Techno Universal

Well, got to be careful with the talking, especially if they're gonna sneak up on people in the abandoned city sections. Plus, would they really have a need to talk? An interesting thought, but perhaps it depends on how developed the particular infected is? The more developed, the less need they have of vocalizations, relying more on something like radio transmission via encoded communication. Evolutionary speaking, it'd end up being the most sound evolutionary path if they are being hunted by survivors. More efficient type of communication in other words. 

I can just see something like a 'nexus' infected, a sort of regional leader of sorts set up in a room with branches and roots of metal and organic components sticking out like a blob thing. 

So I suppose their ultimate goal is to infect, or is there no real goal within the nanites at all? Since originally their goal was to infect, if I'm not mistaken. They could kill, but that decision was left with actual living creatures, the nanites entire purpose though, was ultimately to infect as many hosts as possible. Does it change or remain the same now that their directors are likely dead and gone?

• Brohoof 1

Oh yes the spell is not easy to initially perform, but most Magitek is perpetual with proper maintenance afterwards. So I feel like only Lektra would really make use of the Field, as sort of a matriarch who wants to die but really can't as it would send the city into chaos with a lack of a leader and architect. Major necessary characters would also get this as the plot requires, so basically the Mane cast and necessary supporting characters. Anyone else wanting this would need to pay for passage, either with time investment finding the materials themselves or paying with valuables.

How would Ponyville interact with the other city-states? Well they're trying to maintain a sense of normalcy and life that could have been if the nanite plague Techno wrought hadn't wiped out a lot of the population, so trade mostly. Also travel for recreational purposes, collecting spell ingredients, and just traveling to see what's out there.

I haven't played it but I imagine the landscape would be a bit like Fallout and the mechanical zombies would be basically ghouls.

Some Fallout ghouls aren't insane though :blink:

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, GoldieS said:

@Lektra Bolt

ah... of course... a good way... sure, I getcha... XD 

But that sounds reasonable. I imagine there would be more than a few solutions for the issues of age. Guess that could be one of the reasons for all that overpopulation? Perhaps there are some other catches as well, certain materials being required to maintain such a temporal field. The need for such materials would require a strong infrastructure to produce as well, meaning there's some real peril for those that decide to step outside the safety of the city for an extended period of time. Perhaps there are some alchemical solutions as well? Nothing like an injection to keep oneself young!

So how would they interact with some of the other city states around? Is Ponyville more of a closed of settlement now, or does it try to reach out to the others?

And I wouldn't worry about those pesky changelings... think of the black shells as more militant and stately than the green shells. While they still maintain a robust covert operations section, their far more open and organized than they once were, taking advantage of a collapsing world. They'll be assuming the rolls of those who create the hard line 'evil' tech of this world, for lack of a better word. You know, it's all for the ponies though... it's the changeling's duties to protect the ponies from themselves after all... even if it means a little sacrifice. They're a precious thing, and you know they'll just destroy themselves if they're left alone like before. Greater good, right? XD

@Techno Universal

Well, got to be careful with the talking, especially if they're gonna sneak up on people in the abandoned city sections. Plus, would they really have a need to talk? An interesting thought, but perhaps it depends on how developed the particular infected is? The more developed, the less need they have of vocalizations, relying more on something like radio transmission via encoded communication. Evolutionary speaking, it'd end up being the most sound evolutionary path if they are being hunted by survivors. More efficient type of communication in other words. 

I can just see something like a 'nexus' infected, a sort of regional leader of sorts set up in a room with branches and roots of metal and organic components sticking out like a blob thing. 

So I suppose their ultimate goal is to infect, or is there no real goal within the nanites at all? Since originally their goal was to infect, if I'm not mistaken. They could kill, but that decision was left with actual living creatures, the nanites entire purpose though, was ultimately to infect as many hosts as possible. Does it change or remain the same now that their directors are likely dead and gone?

Yeah like they would be always communicating through a digital command radio link so it's basically their own mental radio standard that's in a digital format. So really I guess their ultimate goal would be not only to infect but to also gain control over nations so they would execute very intelligent plans to take control over abandoned cities to make the cities and towns into their own bases. Anyways if the leader of a group of infected dies they will just randomly attack and infect any survivors they find and they'll keep on going with that until they get killed off themselves. So they would be able to do some very intelligent things like disable a security system in a building but to do things like that they would have to be told exactly what to do by their leader through the digital radio link.

• Brohoof 1

@Lektra Bolt

Ah, so, essentially a city state bent on continuing with the spirit of the old world, rather than trying to turn into something completely different. Which, in the case of Equestria and Ponyville, probably isn't such a bad thing. But what's their policy on refugees from the outside? There's gonna be a lot of them no doubt, everyone's going to want to get into a place like that... one that's far away (metaphorically) to the horrors and worries of the post apocalyptic world they find themselves in. Maybe the envious would even be brazen enough to try and attack the city itself? They can't let everyone in, unfortunately. 

And then there's ponyville proper itself. Is it all of ponyville, or just a particular sector (assuming ponyville expanded rapidly at some point)? In other words, will we see the hollowed out husks of old abandoned buildings and city streets surrounding the city, or is the surrounding area mostly just wilderness?

He he, I'm nerding out on this one, I do apologize... when I think magiteck I think Final Fantasy type architecture and technology. 

@Techno Universal

So the nexus has to be an infected that was specially evolved to preform that duty, not so much a drone can essentially transform into it? The nexus specialty would probably make more sense. Then if one isn't present in the area, when the horde eventually infects a new host, that host becomes the next nexus? Or perhaps that's a bit too intelligent of a design for a virus independently. 

Oh, but you bring up an interesting thought... if they do happen to be developing intelligent plans, some to conquer entire city states and whatnot, can they create? Do they have the intellectual capacity to plan on such a scale, to build things like factories or retrofit old ruins. For lack of a better comparison... Borg from star trek? Not sure if we want them quite like that though, maybe something in between. Definatley something enigmatic. 

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, GoldieS said:

@Lektra Bolt

Ah, so, essentially a city state bent on continuing with the spirit of the old world, rather than trying to turn into something completely different. Which, in the case of Equestria and Ponyville, probably isn't such a bad thing. But what's their policy on refugees from the outside? There's gonna be a lot of them no doubt, everyone's going to want to get into a place like that... one that's far away (metaphorically) to the horrors and worries of the post apocalyptic world they find themselves in. Maybe the envious would even be brazen enough to try and attack the city itself? They can't let everyone in, unfortunately. 

And then there's ponyville proper itself. Is it all of ponyville, or just a particular sector (assuming ponyville expanded rapidly at some point)? In other words, will we see the hollowed out husks of old abandoned buildings and city streets surrounding the city, or is the surrounding area mostly just wilderness?

He he, I'm nerding out on this one, I do apologize... when I think magiteck I think Final Fantasy type architecture and technology. 

@Techno Universal

So the nexus has to be an infected that was specially evolved to preform that duty, not so much a drone can essentially transform into it? The nexus specialty would probably make more sense. Then if one isn't present in the area, when the horde eventually infects a new host, that host becomes the next nexus? Or perhaps that's a bit too intelligent of a design for a virus independently. 

Oh, but you bring up an interesting thought... if they do happen to be developing intelligent plans, some to conquer entire city states and whatnot, can they create? Do they have the intellectual capacity to plan on such a scale, to build things like factories or retrofit old ruins. For lack of a better comparison... Borg from star trek? Not sure if we want them quite like that though, maybe something in between. Definatley something enigmatic. 

Yeah maybe they could have the ability to create factories to manufacture robotic units that would be working on their forces! Like they would want to conquer towns and cities to make them into bases and factories so they can multiply their forces! Though everything would be actually run by the manager ponies in the force that tell the troops exactly what to do when they are executing a plan. The troops don't have any real intelligence at all and they do not have consciousness at all. Really those troops just do exactly what they are told by their manager while the managers have their bosses to and it's a ranking chain with the most intelligent at the top with the least intelligent as the most common at the bottom. So it's really like an ant colony in a way except with a lot of ranking. :) 

• Brohoof 1

Oh no no, definitely continuing the old world by improving on it. My Magitek concept has been likened to the Final Fantasy version, and while I didn't intend on it (just blew out of my head at the time of design), it's similar to that in many ways. You can think of Magitek as a purely spell based implementation of technology and robots, and Lektra as a magical futurist mare Tony Stark. Progress through efficiency in spell theory and improving one's lifestyle.

Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology, and any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. It only differs in core function.

Ponyville proper has been redesigned into a Magitek haven utopia compared to the harsh outside world. It promotes relatively normal life otherwise, with the city expanding further from the original core to have a much larger population.

Refugees from the outside world are welcome and encouraged, but have to go through extremely thorough checks. There would be a probation period while being screened for being someone with malicious intent, a black changeling, or tech zombie, and residents on probation live in safety away from the general population for a period of a week. Once they pass they could buy an apartment, house, or get materials to build their own residence. Crime rate is almost zero, though not quite.

So yes feel free to nerd out, your assumption is actually correct :)

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

@Techno Universal

Well, I suppose that's if they get to that point XD I feel as though intelligence of any particular region of infected would vary greatly depending on how many 'nexus' leaders there are, and subsequent drones. That and how long the nexi have been able to remain in one location and grow their intelligence like a computer of sorts. For the sake of our world, let's assume none have quite gotten that far yet... though... there's no telling how much longer until they reach that point. 

I'm seeing these infected now as some kind of cross between Geth in mass effect, and ghouls of fallout. 

I can see the Changeling Empires (name is a work in progress) devoting a lot of time and attention in rooting out infected Nexi and hordes. Maybe even a priority with how dangerous they seem... wouldn't be very logical if these black shells were more interested in conquering the living and going to war with them, then exterminating such a substantial threat. Now, do we assume the nanites focus only on sentient organisms, due to being programmed in such a way? Wouldn't do well to kill of the livestock of meat eaters and crops when it was in initial design phase, since the whole point was to lower the population. 

Additionally, I don't think there would be a need to program the plague to effect insects, would you agree?

@Lektra Bolt

he he, excellent! I was afraid some of the tech I'd like to use was way to close to a particular RTS series with deadly green crystals XP I do love a good cyberpunk look for weapons and dangerous tech. 

I've also always been a fan of the idea of golems being more like how robots are usually portrayed. I imagine Ponyville Magitek wouldn't be too terribly upset with artificial constructs such as those. 

Okay, so we've got a rather robust foundation for your City State. Sounds perfect so far, a magically progressive society with altruistic intentions to improve the world around them. Helpful and more than willing to accept refugees, with precautions of course, and ever expanding to accommodate its growing infrastructure. 

Now... for the darker yet, unfortunately necessary side of the city... what of it's security and military? Canterlot's a pretty close source of infected... unless they've been dealt with in that city, they may attack en mass in an attempt to breach the city defenses from time to time. You also got the Black Shells in all their military might! Fortresses all along the eastern coasts... war machines... air power... I've figured they're more focused on the infected at the moment, but you never know when they might turn to Ponyville. 

As an addition, I was hoping it'd be okay for these changeligns (divided into several 'noble' houses) to have a heartland across the ocean on a nameless continent, and have since expanded into Equestria proper. The plague was more of boon for them it would seem...

• Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, GoldieS said:

@Techno Universal

Well, I suppose that's if they get to that point XD I feel as though intelligence of any particular region of infected would vary greatly depending on how many 'nexus' leaders there are, and subsequent drones. That and how long the nexi have been able to remain in one location and grow their intelligence like a computer of sorts. For the sake of our world, let's assume none have quite gotten that far yet... though... there's no telling how much longer until they reach that point. 

I'm seeing these infected now as some kind of cross between Geth in mass effect, and ghouls of fallout. 

I can see the Changeling Empires (name is a work in progress) devoting a lot of time and attention in rooting out infected Nexi and hordes. Maybe even a priority with how dangerous they seem... wouldn't be very logical if these black shells were more interested in conquering the living and going to war with them, then exterminating such a substantial threat. Now, do we assume the nanites focus only on sentient organisms, due to being programmed in such a way? Wouldn't do well to kill of the livestock of meat eaters and crops when it was in initial design phase, since the whole point was to lower the population. 

Additionally, I don't think there would be a need to program the plague to effect insects, would you agree?

@Lektra Bolt

he he, excellent! I was afraid some of the tech I'd like to use was way to close to a particular RTS series with deadly green crystals XP I do love a good cyberpunk look for weapons and dangerous tech. 

I've also always been a fan of the idea of golems being more like how robots are usually portrayed. I imagine Ponyville Magitek wouldn't be too terribly upset with artificial constructs such as those. 

Okay, so we've got a rather robust foundation for your City State. Sounds perfect so far, a magically progressive society with altruistic intentions to improve the world around them. Helpful and more than willing to accept refugees, with precautions of course, and ever expanding to accommodate its growing infrastructure. 

Now... for the darker yet, unfortunately necessary side of the city... what of it's security and military? Canterlot's a pretty close source of infected... unless they've been dealt with in that city, they may attack en mass in an attempt to breach the city defenses from time to time. You also got the Black Shells in all their military might! Fortresses all along the eastern coasts... war machines... air power... I've figured they're more focused on the infected at the moment, but you never know when they might turn to Ponyville. 

As an addition, I was hoping it'd be okay for these changeligns (divided into several 'noble' houses) to have a heartland across the ocean on a nameless continent, and have since expanded into Equestria proper. The plague was more of boon for them it would seem...

Yeah maybe equestria would maybe now be in a massive war between the changelings and the nexis! Like they would be fighting for power and control over the land and the survivors would be right in the centre of it! Though they would have a partial mass effect program as they are programmed to just kill all enemies but they will infect enemies that they determin as highly valuable for battle and intellect abilities. :) 

• Brohoof 1

Crystals of different colors are used in enchanting for Magitek, not just the green of Final Fantasy. Artificial constructs like Sparky would exist, more or less advanced as necessary.

Crime rate is close to zero due to the initial screenings, but besides the shield there is a sizeable military that Lektra can lead into battle if things come to such. There are police of course, but mostly unnecessary as crime takes care of itself. One wouldn't really be compelled to ruin the lives of others, as Equestria in the show canon has been relatively crime free, and that's been preserved for the most part. You have to be taught to hate, and any crime that happens would be from badly screened refugees. Mistakes happen. Permanent residents would just like to enjoy their lives in efficiency and convenience, while enlisting in the military to defend their way of life.

Magitek is very rooted in show canon and expanded from the rich history of enchanted artifacts, and electronic technology like what Techno is introducing is mostly foreign. Electronic technology while not illegal would be discouraged, especially since it had caused a nanite plague. Infected are vaporized on sight without question.

If you don't mind, I'd like to have had Canter be absorbed into the expanded city, unless you had plans for that? So we have this highly advanced magical city state in the center, with mostly wasteland outside it

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

@Techno Universal

Hmm, well, I'd still say the Infected were still more interested in infecting everything rather than the actual land. That seems tertiary to survival and propagation. The virus wouldn't really care about the land or natural resources, unless it directly benefited the efforts. Plus, let's not forget about their functions and abilities. If we stay with the regional nexus and such, the other hordes wouldn't necessarily be working together (they don't know they should be while being essentially cut off). 

The changelings motivations are a little different as well. They have plenty of resources, being a full fledged Empire spread across multiple lands, though resources are always a plus. They expand so that they can integrate the survivors and those they capture into their Empire and cast system. So, they're looking for and in a way, defending the survivors from the infected. They'll destroy the survivors that resist though... that's a given. 

The nation states aren't entirely aligned together however. In other words, there really is no Equestria any longer, not as a kingdom. It's been fractured into various cities states that may occasionally serve a greater purpose and work together. 

So, there would still be a three way free for all, just with different goals in between them. 

@Lektra Bolt

Reasonable, I could see very little in the way of crime if they maintain that sort of society. I would still be concerned with smuggling though, if they have a robust trade economy with any other settlers outside the city and the other city states. Even good law abiding citizens sometimes want more than they're allowed to have. Well, that depends on what's illegal to posses and what isn't.

Also, there are always misguided decisions. You know, like bringing in an infected to secretly try to cure them, but ultimately having the infected escape? And let's not forget about those changeling infiltrators, no telling how many will try to break in and do so successfully. 

Speaking of changelings, depending on the 'Noble House', the big faction will share a similar technology philosophy as Techno's city. Well, to the extreme end of that spectrum. And don't forget, they're out to conquer all nations. You know, to protect them... that being said, they can be a powerful force to have nearby as they clean cities of infected and essentially defend settlements from raiders and monstrosities. 

• Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, GoldieS said:

@Techno Universal

Hmm, well, I'd still say the Infected were still more interested in infecting everything rather than the actual land. That seems tertiary to survival and propagation. The virus wouldn't really care about the land or natural resources, unless it directly benefited the efforts. Plus, let's not forget about their functions and abilities. If we stay with the regional nexus and such, the other hordes wouldn't necessarily be working together (they don't know they should be while being essentially cut off). 

The changelings motivations are a little different as well. They have plenty of resources, being a full fledged Empire spread across multiple lands, though resources are always a plus. They expand so that they can integrate the survivors and those they capture into their Empire and cast system. So, they're looking for and in a way, defending the survivors from the infected. They'll destroy the survivors that resist though... that's a given. 

The nation states aren't entirely aligned together however. In other words, there really is no Equestria any longer, not as a kingdom. It's been fractured into various cities states that may occasionally serve a greater purpose and work together. 

So, there would still be a three way free for all, just with different goals in between them. 

@Lektra Bolt

Reasonable, I could see very little in the way of crime if they maintain that sort of society. I would still be concerned with smuggling though, if they have a robust trade economy with any other settlers outside the city and the other city states. Even good law abiding citizens sometimes want more than they're allowed to have. Well, that depends on what's illegal to posses and what isn't.

Also, there are always misguided decisions. You know, like bringing in an infected to secretly try to cure them, but ultimately having the infected escape? And let's not forget about those changeling infiltrators, no telling how many will try to break in and do so successfully. 

Speaking of changelings, depending on the 'Noble House', the big faction will share a similar technology philosophy as Techno's city. Well, to the extreme end of that spectrum. And don't forget, they're out to conquer all nations. You know, to protect them... that being said, they can be a powerful force to have nearby as they clean cities of infected and essentially defend settlements from raiders and monstrosities. 

Yeah like maybe the nexus just wants to populate and grow and they can only do that by inhabiting towns and cities so they have places to hide and live when they are healing their damage that they had sustained during battle. Plus the infected would probably all have red glowing eyes to.

• Brohoof 1

Smuggling is not out of the question, but as inspections for contraband are frequent (don't want the nanite plague in the city and discouraged electrical items that could also have nanites in them), it's unlikely ordinary citizens would be engaged in it with malicious intent to actually bring in things known to have previously caused the plague. I'm not putting it out of the question for players with a malicious intent to cause drama or bringing one in to attempt a cure, of course.

Alternatively, electrical technology could just simply be illegal in New Ponyville, with Magitek alternatives being offered. As electrical has no basis in the show and is being introduced entirely by Techno, it could be seen as too new and inferior. Should it just be illegal or would that be too silly? It would be the primary trade with Techno probably, so making it illegal might not be good.

Changeling infiltration is thoroughly screened, and only the greens are allowed in. With how much the world has changed, it's logical for security to advance the furthest.

I'm not killing off the Alicorn sisters, so they're still there in the district of Old Canterlot. The corporation has just taken over the military and security, as well as advancements

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

Don't have time to read through everything at the moment, but to throw in my two bits, what if instead of far future, this is the distant past?

What if this dystopia, this collapse leads to the equestria of today? Modern equestria is a strange mix of modern and ancient, technologies from various decades and centuries all clashing. We've got what amounts to a Roman legion protecting cities w/ movie theaters and dub step raves. Thatched cottages and horse drawn carriages clashing w/ zepplins and towering city scapes.

Maybe this blend of the classical, the midevil, the rennasince, the steam punk, the art deco-noir, and 70s/80s computer tech, is equestria picking up the pieces, whilst being careful of repeating the mistakes. 

Perhaps, from what I can surmize so far, this nano-plague is responsible for what we know as 'magic'. Notice how magic like cutie marks, weather, immortal sun and moon gods, and the EoH only work in equestria and only for ponies. Almost as if it was specifically taylored for them. What if this magic, is ultimately a highly advanced function of the nanites. Any sufficently advaced technology can be indistinguishable from magic. 

We could lay the groundwork from ponies progrssing from a Sci fi civilization, to a magical one. It could be fun trying to justify how the idylliac fantasy utopia and the magical creatures of the show, we're made by a technological apacolypse.

• Brohoof 1

@Denim&Venom

No worries, you can pop in and out as you like! Plus, we did kind of chew through a lot over the last 24 hours XD

I'm not so sure I'm sold on the idea of this taking place in a pre-history era though. Some stuff relies on the things that have happened previously in Equestria. Think of it as the foundation for a lot of this. We've referenced a few things already in that regard. Though, I'm not completely off the idea... 

@Techno Universal

Perhaps, though I did like the idea they were more mindless than that, like the typical horde type style race type. I figure the only one that wouldn't be moving much would be the Nexus, the others would constantly be running around trying to follow their directives. Wouldn't be enough initiative or time to find a 'home' of sorts. I suppose there could be a sort of nest, but it would be very limited in complexity, more makeshift than anything initially. 

Haven't talked much about your city... how does it fair during in the harsh environment of the new world?

@Lektra Bolt

Considering the plague and how it was created, I don't think many citizens would mind most tech being illegal. Illegal and taboo to the average pony, since the alternatives are 'safer' from their perspective. Not really any need to bring such things in except for the novelty of it.

And I wouldn't worry about not having any big city to trade with, there will be other city states and scattered settlements across the countryside. None quite as big as either Techno's or yours of course, but respectable at the very least. Mostly cities (former towns) that were more or less out of the way when the plague hit. The bigger ones didn't last long. 

New Hayseed might be a good trading partner... perhaps a more magically inclined city mixed with a little industrial (maybe steampunk?) Became experts at growing food stuffs in the swampy environment. Exotic stuff, not just the usual. Famed for their 'floating gardens' and purple bananas! XP

Haven't talked much about the alicorns a lot, have we? At the very least, three of them would be present in the city, and active members of the leadership I would imagine. Twilight would of course be busy in some sort of research capacity likely, but not sure what the sisters would be busy doing. Trying to unite the other city states perhaps?

• Brohoof 1

Yes @Denim&Venom I'm not too sold on it being in the past either. Usually love ♡ ♡ ideas you bring in, but I just don't think this one will work out with what else is going on.

That all seems logical @GoldieS, going to ban electronics in the city except for light novelties, with much better Magitek alternatives being offered.

I'd like to have Twi be involved in the the corporation with Lektra, as she has a lot of books to offer that could be transcribed into more permanent types of storage, but I'm not sure what the sisters would be doing either other than not being dead. Twilight and the Manes as well as characters associated with them would be under Temporal Fields, as it's been said that Twilight didn't gain immortality when she gained wings. Don't want her or her friends kicking the bucket, now

• Brohoof 1