Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

planning Fractured Futures: World Building OOC

GoldieS

Ever Free spreading out and everything just becoming the EF forest and desert mixed in sounds good. That's basically the wasteland here as I see it.

I had intended to not have the princesses dead and briefly mentioned this. Bolt Solutions are in charge of military, security, and architectural design. The sisters would be doing everything else, and I have an idea for miss purple

As the Element of Magic I don't think Twilight would be too far removed from the goings on in the city, with how magical it's become. But building Magitek is Lektra's thing. Perhaps we get a TwiLek pairing and they have a common law bond from having created Luster together?

Could have it like a running gag where Twilight is like, we're not married and Lektra is like sure, wink wink. Then they laugh about it 

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 2

@Lektra Bolt @Denim&Venom

I'd rather prefer the Ever Free expansion/adaptation idea. Want at least a little bit of variety in our environmental hazards. Don't get me wrong, i like the infected idea, but you know, variety. Plus, I like a little bit of greenery too. Can't have everything be all drab and depressing. 

As for the princesses, they are still around. At least three of them are, the sisters and Twilight. Both are in New Ponyville and Old Canterlot, but they aren't involved in the direct planning and more logistical things. They're more interested in their own projects at any given moment. 

• Brohoof 1

Yea I was thinking this also, logistics not having to do with what the corporation manages, which would keep them busy besides just controlling night and day. And you know, not being dead :)

We'll have enough of that outside the city.

Gold would you mind collecting what's been discussed so far into the first post please, and have a character list for everyone too?

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

@Lektra Bolt

Certainly, though you might have to give me a little bit. I'll try to capture what we've all discussed, and I'll double check with you guys to make sure I haven't forgotten anything, though I might leave a few minor details out. 

• Brohoof 1

@GoldieS @Lektra Bolt

Another idea I had could be that perhaps the surface of Equestria is uninhabitable, and the nation is divided between those who went underground and into the mountains for shelter, those who traveled to make life on or under the high seas, and those who built sprawling cities in the clouds above the wastes and chaotic surface. 

• Brohoof 2

Hmm I dunno how I feel about New Ponyville as a floating city and others as well. That might suspend disbelief a little bit much. Gold what do you think? 

We could just say Cadence is around and not dead either, but I'm personally not going to be involving her in anything. She could just be floating around, if the Crystal Empire is even still there in one piece 

• Brohoof 1

I'd prefer to keep most things where they are. Don't forget, we still have refugees and other assorted settlements spread across the countryside. That's basically an important resource for the different factions. If we make the surface completely hostile, and have all the cities hidden away, the conflict would drop quite a bit. Plus, we also want our characters and other players to be able to travel to unknown places and have experiences along the way other than pirate airship attacks and what not. 

• Brohoof 1

Looks good! Couple of things! :)

Bolt Solutions migrated from Manehattan originally, taking all their initial Magitek research with them. Perhaps something happened there to prompt the company migration. Minor detail really.

Twilight is involved in the city, as magic is just her thing and she can't not be where it's most active.

Pretty sure Techno wanted to be in charge of that city he designed, not have it abandoned and full of wandering robots. He talked like his character is fairly toned down, but he may be able to explain it better. I would really like to know how that city of his works. Hasn't been discussed much

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

He he, I'll adjust techno's city as we discuss it more. I think we really only mentioned it once or twice, but I'll update that as needed. Just thought that description sounded cool for the time being XP

For Bolt Solutions, did they leave before or after the plague? I can add that in, as well as what the Alicorn's are doing. I'll place them in the character section when I get that up and specify. 

• Brohoof 1

I figure after. With the starting basic background I work with Lektra has been a Ponyville resident for a good while, so it was just a matter of consolidating the branches due to the the calamity. I'm not really sure what would actually prompt this decision though. Ideas? 

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

@GoldieS @Lektra Bolt

What is the name for Lektra's grand order? The New Ponyville Consortium? The Ponies Republic of Equestria? The Magitechnocracy? The Imperium Of Mare? Or is it still the Kingdom Of Equestria? 

And are we still gonna call it New Poniville? Doesn't have that grand a ring to it. How about New Everfree City, after the settlement that predated poniville that would become the name sake forest?

• Brohoof 2

New Ponyville just seems like the most recognizable, as it's an expansion of the original city, but we could also name it New EF as it also includes Canter as a district.

Grand order though? I dunno. Do we need one? Equestria as a kingdom is broken, at least for now, but we could actually still use that as we're supposed to be reuniting it in peace by power. Do we need a grand order name?

• Brohoof 1

@Lektra Bolt

Well, I can see moving RND and HQ to Ponyville after the initial outbreak for a few possible reasons. Ponyville and Canterlot are centrally located. If lines of communication and shipping broke down, logistics falls apart to a certain region, it'd be pretty good place to head out from. Seeing disaster starting to engulf Mainhatten, maybe they just got the message and didn't decide to wait and seethe results? Seeing things only get worse with no sign of help might give them a hint its time to move somewhere that looks a little safer. Since they already had a branch there, it wouldn't be too difficult to move in. 

Also, goanna separate factions and cities into two categories shortly. 

And, if you guys are looking for some names, might I suggest the order name of Grand Equestrian Republic (GER for short)?

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

New Ponyville just seems like the most recognizable, as it's an expansion of the original city, but we could also name it New EF as it also includes Canter as a district.

Grand order though? I dunno. Do we need one? Equestria as a kingdom is broken, at least for now, but we could actually still use that as we're supposed to be reuniting it in peace by power. Do we need a grand order name?

I think it'd be more symbolic if it was the city of Canterlot and town of poniville represented as one city, the two seats of power untied as one. A sea of sky scrapers connecting the hamlet and the crystal castle w/ the spires of the mountain palace. Calling it new poniville indicates it as just one of the two, and describes it as just that, a village, not a sprawling megacity. Can't really think of any city's that end in -ville. 

Having a grand order name will actually be for opponents to Lektra and her regime. They need to be called something? We can't have them going "Oh no! it's the Kingdom Of Equestria!" 

• Brohoof 2

Good idea for the reason Gold, let's go with that :)

I rather like New Everfree City, and I figure we can just continue to use the company name as a grand order. Bolt Solutions employing a join or likely die mentality. No one necessarily has to die, but there will be some stubborn that would rather be as such and not give up their ways. We're not above such things anymore, given the state of the world otherwise

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Good idea for the reason Gold, let's go with that :)

I rather like New Everfree City, and I figure we can just continue to use the company name as a grand order. Bolt Solutions employing a join or likely die mentality. No one necessarily has to die, but there will be some stubborn that would rather be as such and not give up their ways. We're not above such things anymore, given the state of the world otherwise

Bolt Solutions Incorporated. Governing the city state of New Everfree. Reminds me of the anime Big O, where domed cities were ruled by the Paradigm Firm, which as the lead hero coins it "Is considered both god and state." 

With that settled, I'd still like to find a reason why the princesses aren't doing their job. Perhaps Luna & Celestia fell victim to the nano-virus? Their balance in power was passed on to Twi and Cadence. Cadence could have just locked the Crystal Empire away under quarantine. But that still doesn't explain whats going on with Twi. 

• Brohoof 2

Yeah that name sounds good.

Nah the sisters should be fine. They're moving the celestial bodies and approving laws not having to do with security, architecture, or military. Like basically the same as in the show, when they're offscreen. Do we care what else they do when we don't see them?

Twilight is deeply involved in the magical city, designing new spells and adjusting old ones to incorporate into Magitek. She's also likely doing PR as that's basically what friendship is all about, making sure everyone is happy and getting along well while Lektra is building.

They made Luster together, so she can't really be far away. As I said I'd like to have a running gag that they have a common-law marriage cause they basically had a kid together, which I'd like to explore what happens when Twi doesn't reject Luster as just a project. Kinda like an open relationship, cause Twi is straight regardless of what the fanfiction likes to say.

No comment on Cadence. I don't know where she would be honestly, nor Shining either

What do you think? 

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

@Denim&Venom

Celestia and Luna are still in Canterlot, though they're busying themselves with other work. Along with raising and lowering the sun and moon, they're still doing their usual jobs. Even in Equestria as a kingdom they mostly left governing to local governors, mayors, and city counsels. They just settled disputes. Giving Bolt Solutions more authority gives them more time for other pursuits, like attempting to reunite the other city states through negotiation (I've added several in the initial post) while discussing mundane things with Bolt's board of directors. 

-- what you said XD @Lektra Bolt, updated while I was writing this out. 

Twilight is working alongside RND in the corporation I imagine. Flurryheart (older at this point) and Cadence are absent, werebouts unknown at the moment. Does all this sound okay? I'd agree with Lektra's assessment thus far. 

• Brohoof 1

@Lektra Bolt @GoldieS

I dunno. It doesn't sit well with me. Equestria has collapsed and millions have died, yet it's business as usual for the diarchs? I'd expect them to be struggling for years on end, working around the clock to save as many as they could, or they throw themselves into research while maintaining the delicate balance.

I don't think we can have the sisters in a post apocalypse, as they would be a force to unify Equestria, a lasting symbol of the way things were. They would be the strands keeping Equestria from having fallen apart completely. They just offer too much hope, and it's out of character for them to do nothing. 

As for Twi, I don't think she'd be so calm about this either. She's a ruler and her subjects are dying out there. This woudl devastate her. A problem that can't be solved through the magic of friendship. There's no way she'd have a cozy relationship with Lektra or anypony for that matter. She'd be obsessed with taking things back to the way they were. Think how she was during the movie, but 1000 times worse. Her country is in ruins, the families of her friends are dead, and the very race she's sworn to protect are now fighting each other for scraps. 

New Everfree maybe a haven, but I don't think any of the princesses will find peace, even within it's walls. 

• Brohoof 2

@Denim&Venom

You're certainly not wrong, but it's not quite business as usual. After many years passing with little success doing things themselves, options are really limited. I would say they had a hand in the cities policy of accepting any refugees coming to their doorstep. Additionally, now the to sisters busy themselves trying to unite what's left, after having failed actually protecting everyone. Twilight on the other hand, might be constantly working on a cure, but unable to find one increasingly becomes disillusioned with the prospect and tries to distract herself by working on projects to improve the lives of those that already live in the city. Perhaps she even gets out from time to time to try and bring in refugees?

1 minute ago, GoldieS said:

@Denim&Venom

You're certainly not wrong, but it's not quite business as usual. After many years passing with little success doing things themselves, options are really limited. I would say they had a hand in the cities policy of accepting any refugees coming to their doorstep. Additionally, now the to sisters busy themselves trying to unite what's left, after having failed actually protecting everyone. Twilight on the other hand, might be constantly working on a cure, but unable to find one increasingly becomes disillusioned with the prospect and tries to distract herself by working on projects to improve the lives of those that already live in the city. Perhaps she even gets out from time to time to try and bring in refugees?

I guess I can see them working in a sorta missionary sense. Trying to bring peace between town to town, unifying little by little in a grass roots movement akin to the olden days, instead of ruling a nation. Perhaps they don't work as princesses anymore. Just charitable souls and peace makers in a world gone mad. 

And yeah, I can see Twilight trying to distract herself by working over board on inventions, constantly studying the nanite plague, pooling over every book left in existence. Every delve into research, every invention, she convinces herself that it's one step closer. She's so obsessed and distracted, she's blind to the world Leks is cultivating. 

Speaking of a world gone mad, where's discord in all this? 

• Brohoof 1

I'm going to go with what Gold said and just say I agree with that, as it's about what I would have said as well if I hadn't gone and taken a RL break.

The city is trying to maintain a sense of normalcy, magical progress, and efficiency, but the world did end and a lot died. This did indeed happen and they're trying to recover, and if you want we could run it by numbers and have Twilight come out of her shell a bit to see what's been happening. You will be playing her @Denim&Venom, yes? I've always liked your portrayal. Mine always feels too pre Alicorn and less mature.

She probably wouldn't even realize she's wearing a Temporal Field herself, as well as most of the show characters. Except for the ones that were children back then, like the Crusaders are probably adults now, and might be old enough to need one as well. Gold never actually said how much time has passed.

As for Discord, good God, personally I totally forgot about him. Why not ask my favorite Totally Random Fungi (fun guy) Lord of Chaos person to show up and see if he's interested.

Paging @Randimaxis

I sacrifice a rubber chicken (No it's not Boneless, that's cruel even for a toy) to you in a grand but totally off screen fashion! Appear! Please? :wacko:

Hopefully he doesn't have too much on his plate, or would at least be able to give us an idea of what Discord is doing 

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 2

8 hours ago, GoldieS said:

hawt dawg, I leave to make some lunch for a few minutes and there's like a dozen responses XD he he lol

@Techno Universal @Denim&Venom @Lektra Bolt

Okay, to the resources collection with Techno's machines: You could think of it like this; they aren't merely scavenging resources, that could only yield so much. Think mining and cultivating, that sort of thing. Even with hundreds of workers working a particular strip mine the impact on the world at large would be negligible. So, consider the resource collection more like modern mining efforts. It takes a lot of work for just a little bit (comparatively speaking that is). Plus, the world has already been taken through the wringer, so resource collection is even more difficult and time consuming now. In fact, a few hundred workers probably wouldn't be all that helpful, but too many would draw too much attention from the changelings and the infected hordes (like Lektra mentioned).

@Denim&Venom @Lektra Bolt

So, Denim, you're interested in taking up a sort of counter faction against New Ponyville (Lektra's lads)? One that's strictly machine to their magitek, if I understand correctly. 

Hmm... I'd be okay with that if Lektra and Techno are okay with another faction. Though, I think I'll change up my changelings to accommodate. They are essentially of the same mindset, where they are attempting to conquer the world in order to 'protect' all the other species. Perhaps you might be interested in joining one of those factions? Scorpio being Tech/Industrial heavy, and Pices being Bio Mechanical/Heavy Genetic Engineering. They're a work in progress.

You also have to remember there are more city states out there as well, not just ponyville. (New Hayseed, Shadow Glade, Lost Pegasus) all that already might not like the more Tech oriented factions due to the plague and all that. 

BUT placing our characters within each faction, doesn't necessarily we HAVE to play them or have them in any RP we do. Just that they are cannon to our universe in their respective positions. Does that make sense?

Yeah like I was thinking that the resource gathering would primarily be mining for metals as really the metals they find are used for the manufacturing of more bots and infrastructure in the city. So there would be a few tank sized drilling machines that would go out every day to strip mine quite quickly and efficiently to then return to the city to drop off their resources and to prepare for the next trip. But still because of the size of the machines they leave behind tunnels that are around three meters in diameter plus they drill so quickly that they always leve a ton of lose stones of resources behind so the survivors would often search the tunnels after the machines have been through them. Though the drilling machines would be very noisy so they would always attract attention from the infected and the changelings. The machines are heavily armoured to deal with them but occasionally a large enough horde of infected or changelings would attack and destroy the massive robotic mining machines. :)

• Brohoof 1