Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music What type of radio stations do you like?

Kaneki

So, what radio station types do you like? (I know I prefixed it "Music" despite there being non-music radio stations).

I like rock (alt, hard rock) and NPR stations. I haven't listened to NPR recent (here it's WFYI 90.1 FM), but I found a new radio station recently (105.1 FM in Indianapolis) that plays most of the stuff that our harder rock station (X103) played before they changed brandings and started playing more indie and low-key alternative. I like it, but it's a low powered station out of the south side of Indianapolis, so it doesn't come in well! :(

I haven't been able to find a stream of it either. Hopefully that comes soon!

• Brohoof 1

I mainly prefer internet radio and within that, I love mainly metal and aggro tech stations. There was one in particular that I really enjoyed before, called ChroniX Radio, which specialized in metal/aggression music. Spent a lot of time listening to that station, found some good bands too from it.

• Brohoof 2

I personally listen to a lot of different types of music. My favorites, however, are rock, metal, hip-hop, and country. Especially those first two. Can't beat rock n roll.:P

Edit: you're an Indy brony too? That's awesome!

Edited by Rhythm Red

I'm an NPR fan too. I often listen to it when I'm driving; I don't use it for news but I like the funny/interesting stories. It's WKSU 89.7 here :) 

I don't really like the music that gets played on most radio stations :/

Edited by SparklingSwirls

I am a rock and country music listener. Where I live, there's a bunch of stations for both genres. For country, I listen to US 103.5, 97 Country, 99.5 QYK, K92.3 and 103.1 The Wolf. For Rock music, I listen to 97X, 98 Rock and 101.1 JRR for the newer rock music and Q105, 107.3 The Eagle, 105.9 Sunny FM, Max 98.3, 102.9 WBF, and 98.9 WMMO for the older, classic hits/classic rock stuff. 

When I used to live in Indiana, 95.5 WFMS and Q95 were the two radio stations I listened to a lot. 

I like Oldies stations. Sadly, they don't really exist anymore. All of the Oldies stations disappeared or turned into generic "Classic Hits" stations that play mostly 80s pop and rock. My favorite stations from the years are gone in entirety.

The Classical station we have is neat to listen to sometimes.

Generally, the radio is just for me to sleep to nowadays. I don't go there for good music anymore unless it's the Classical station. Every other station is either Country, 80s/90s, or modern pop/rock.

We don't really have any radio stations I particluarly like. The bands I really like and similar don't seem to have enough appeal for these stations and besides I prefer listening to music on my phone or mp3 player. 

I mostly listen to rock'n'roll, though, so if I listened to any stations, it'd be one for that, most likely.

Edited by The Starchild

1 hour ago, Twisted Cyclone said:

I am a rock and country music listener. Where I live, there's a bunch of stations for both genres. For country, I listen to US 103.5, 97 Country, 99.5 QYK, K92.3 and 103.1 The Wolf. For Rock music, I listen to 97X, 98 Rock and 101.1 JRR for the newer rock music and Q105, 107.3 The Eagle, 105.9 Sunny FM, Max 98.3, 102.9 WBF, and 98.9 WMMO for the older, classic hits/classic rock stuff. 

When I used to live in Indiana, 95.5 WFMS and Q95 were the two radio stations I listened to a lot. 

Haha yeah, Q95. Don't listen to them much, but I know they're owned by the same company that butchered X103 a few years back.

I found a stream of 105.1 an hour ago. It's apparently based off the third HD signal of Radio Now 100.9 (WNOW) and is relayed on a low-power translator:

https://www.radionomy.com/en/radio/1051indianapolis/index

The only radio station I ever listen to is MPR News because they have a ton of different news programs on at different times of the day. From "Morning Edition" in the mornings, to the BBC evening news and late night comedy shows. My favorite program on MPR is called "This American Life" hosted by Ira Glass, by far they have the most interesting stories of the day on at that time.     

• Brohoof 1

I like oldies and classic rock, but I also listen to NPR (National Public Radio) quite a bit as well, along with country music as well. I try to stay away from urban stations as much as possible (which is hard, because the school I go to has a Urban/alternative station on campus).

Due to an iTunes library of near 13,000 songs, radio listening has become redundant for me. It didn't help that the only station I listened too, Planet Rock, isn't picked up by DAB radios where I live. Whenever I'm in the car I always switch it onto the nearest alternative, either Absolute Radio or Radio X to give me a rock boost when on the move.

KBPI, but I just feel they are doing more music loops recently than in the back days.. But I still like the people there and the stories they tell are interesting, despite of having uncle nasty being gone.

Madison solid rock 94.1 JJO and 95.1 will rock. I wake up to one of those every morning before work.  102.9 the hog if I can't get a clear signal of the other two. 

Other than that I just go to Youtube or my own extensive, ever growing library. 

99% of the time I just plug my phone into my AUX cable... though there is an alternative rock station I use to listen to... but they have a nasty habit of play modern pop garbage. Meaning I could go from Fallout Boy or Blink 182 to some crap like Justin Bieber or Lorde. I often joke about that station saying it plays the alternative to alternative rock. So when my phone is dead and I can't use my AUX cable I set the station to this rock/metal station. Its not alternative, but at least they don't play stupid music.

I listen to NPR for news, and CD102.5 (WWCD-FM) for alt rock and indie music. It's one of very few independent radio stations left in the country, and it's pretty great.

Honestly, other than that Columbus radio is terrible. There are about a half dozen stations in the city that are all owned by the same conglomerate and all have pretty much identical playlists. It's not unusual to change the channel and hear a different part of the same song.

• 10 months later...

My mom likes listening to 80s stuff on 94.5 Kool FM, so we have to put up with it. XD Kidding lol... I usually enjoy it a lot, seeing how my favorite radio announcer is usually on the station. <3

Oh boy have I used YouTube and Spotify as my go-to for music a lot. If I ever was in my parents’ car, I’d be listening to the mainstream songs from 102.7 or 92.7 stations. But I’d prefer to just keep the radio off if I get my own car. I don’t have a huge preference for music, so as long as the beat of a song is catchy, I’ll put that song on my list.