Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler I Would be OK with a Chrysalis Reformation if this Happens...

MontagnaMagica

There's been a lot of talk lately about the rampant villain reformations in this show lately. Although I do love a great, truly evil villain as much as the next fan, I can also see how reformation is just a natural part of Friendship is Magic's progression. That said, we are running out of villains, and fast! We already know Queen Chrysalis and Tirek are returning in season 8.

Then, I saw this posted on My Little Pony's Facebook page: 

The clip they chose to use, along with what Megan McCarthy had to say about how "No one’s bad, they’re just broken”, and reforming all the villains, much to our dismay. The implication is strong... I think she's getting reformed.

At first, my knee-jerk reaction was dismay. Chrysalis is an awesome menace, and I'd hate to see that end. However, I did imagine how this reformation could come about in a way that would be believable, and, dare I say, awesome.

We know that Chrysalis has vowed revenge on Starlight Glimmer and escaped. While it is possible she has another hive, I don't think that's the case. Instead, I imagine she will need to team up with a more powerful ally to exact her revenge. Who is one of the most powerful villains we've seen thus far? Tirek.

Chrysalis, needing an ally, would free Tirek and as a tag team, begin to steal all the magic they can. Let's say that they're pretty successful. Again, the goal here is to get back at Starlight; I don't suppose Chrysalis thought ahead to what happens after that. Tirek betrayed Discord the last time he formed any kind of alliance. Discord, of course, was completely caught off-guard by this, and put up no fight. Chrysalis, however, might be able to put up a fight. That is, if she gets an assist from a certain army. Perhaps being overwhelmed with Tirek's growing powers, Chrysalis would need to work together with her former Changeling hive, Thorax, and perhaps even Starlight and the Mane 6 too. Somehow, in this process, I could totally imagine her seeing the light, and giving up her revenge plot for the greater good.

In short, Chrysalis' reformation would have to be preceded by her reluctantly allying with the "good guys". I think this would be pretty sweet, and definitely not a reformation that feels unrealistic or pressed for time.

What do you think? How else would you reform her? Or do you still think she's a baddie forever?

If anything, Tirek's the one with more of a foundation for redemption, given his family (Scorpan, and their parents from FIENDship).

By contrast, they seem to be trying to make Chrysalis less and less sympathetic (FIENDship seemingly disproved the headcanon of her having a tragic backstory, and the S6 finale unambiguously disproved her supposed good intentions for her people).

Edited by A.V.

6 hours ago, A.V. said:

If anything, Tirek's the one with more of a foundation for redemption, given his family (Scorpan, and their parents from FIENDship).

By contrast, they seem to be trying to make Chrysalis less and less sympathetic (FIENDship seemingly disproved the headcanon of her having a tragic backstory, and the S6 finale unambiguously disproved her supposed good intentions for her people).

What is this FIENDship you keep mentioning? I know what a fiend is, but it seems like you're referencing something more specific.

Edited by MontagnaMagica

Chrysalis is an arrogant hothead who starts wars just to maintain her own power and deliberately starved her own people to keep them subservient. I honestly think it would take a lot of effort to "fix" her, and for the life of me I have no idea how she'd do it. I still haven't watched that McCarthy interview, but if Chrysalis's evil comes from something broken deep inside her, it's been buried and internalized so much that it seems like a miracle would be needed to fix it. 

Tirek betrayed Discord. This story is old and moldy. Besides, it doesn't matter how redemptions are made anymore. They have been done too many times already, they are expected, and they demand a constant stream of new antagonists. It has to stop.

Chrysalis should become an irredeemable minion to a far greater irredeemable overlord. This way you can show the competence of big bad, and by turning failed villains into minions you can begin carrying episodes with villains in main roles without the need of two-parters. Some hate pies, some hate ponies. Friendship and cooperation should not be exclusive to those who love ponies.

There has been at least one character redemption every season other than two. Luna, Discord, Discord again, Gilda, Diamond Tiara, Starlight, Thorax, the rest of the changlings, Stygian. At this point it’s more than a recurring theme, it’s one of the core messages of the show. I can’t think of any other children’s cartoon with such an emphasis on redemption, forgiveness, or understanding, certainly not when I wasn’t growing up, so I’m more than willing to give this show a pass on that, especially since I don’t watch the show particularly for its adventure episodes, theyre just a nice addition to the show I enjoy as well. If this was an action/adventure show I’d be more against the idea.

If Chrysalis gets reformed, I’ll only be mildly peeved. If she gets a decent backstory, I won’t even be that. Many of my favorite characters like Luna and Starlight are reformed villains, and even those that aren’t, I can’t think of a redemption that was a bad idea in the long run.

How about no? How about show that not everyone in the world can be magical fixed? Nah not this show, right?! I dont know why i have a feeling they gonna reuse Tirek and Discord dynamic for Chrysalis, like they used them for Tempest and Storm King. Can the staffs surprise me once more?

Writting redemption story require amount of effort to make it believable which is the show's limitations. Blowing up irredeemable villains always provide a decent amount of entertainment in any medium without even trying at all, because people enjoy to see bad guys get their ass kicked (video game exists so you can kick bad guys asses legally) and it wont get old. 

Anyway.

Give Chrysalis a decent backstory and not magically change her personality then have her kill Tirek by herself, i will give that finale a 10/10, everyone will be satisfied.

Reforming Tirek is unacceptable, thats the last line.

The only way I would kinda maybe accept a Chrysalis reformation if it involves her realizing that she has far gone and kills both Tirek and herself in a similar manner to what happened in the season 1 Korra finale.