Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Faeriefalls

Coming over from MLPArena, which is a lot more focused on collecting and real ponies from what I've seen, I've so far only tended to see ponysona OCs, not vast amounts of OCs in general. I even made my own ponysona, Sabina! But thats it. So if you are either an avid OC maker, or just happy with your own little ponysona (or both!) what are you reasons behind it either way? Why do you create characters, and what do you use them for? Art, stories? 

And who is your ponysona, if you have one? Do they reflect you as a person, or just a bunch of things you like! I'll add my ponysona, Sabina! She's a Sparkle Pony from the G1 line (and Ive decided a G4 Crystal Pony). 

witchy n bg.png

• Brohoof 5

@PathfinderCS has all of the characters in the world and a 'sona. 

I can't say mine is a 'sona so much as she's both a fan character and a role model. I wouldn't trust myself to be able to try and ponify myself without embellishing at least a few points in her personality or design, so I settled for what I wanted to be instead of what I was.

I actually have both a ponysona (Silver Note) and some OCs I've created, namely Día Rosetta, Lilac Snow, and Mint Berry. I like having a ponysona since it represents me and I can use her to insert myself into the pony world, but I prefer using my OCs to do one of my favorite things on these forums - to roleplay. Although I like my ponysona, I would rather use OCs that have flaws and talents that I won't personally be embarrassed about. It is much easier to roleplay as another pony than yourself.

• Brohoof 2

Oooh, @Witch, that's a lovely pony you got there! :ooh: I have a ponysona as well as one OC. My Ponysona being Straw Cherry, having her reflect me in hairstyle, eyeshape and personality wise. The colors are chosen because I feel like those colors, if I make sense? Orange and yellow are warm and bubbly colors to me, that reflects me. My OC being Mary Sue. I have yet to draw more of her, but I already love her so much. If it was up to my imagination, I'd have a bunch of characters already. But it's not. I have to create something I'm willing to get attached to, and that takes a long time for me. :twi: 

• Brohoof 2

11 minutes ago, Sunset Rose said:

@PathfinderCS has all of the characters in the world and a 'sona. 

I can't say mine is a 'sona so much as she's both a fan character and a role model. I wouldn't trust myself to be able to try and ponify myself without embellishing at least a few points in her personality or design, so I settled for what I wanted to be instead of what I was.

Pretty much what @Sunset Rose said!

To start, my 'deer-sona' represents me. Technically; he IS me! He represents my strengths, weaknesses, my faults, and so-on. He is just me; personified in a MLP deer; if you will. He has nothing to do with the show or characters, but was inspired by the deer from the MLP comics.

As for my OCs...well, my first one was the unicorn Pathfinder. As with Sunset Rose's case, Pathfinder represented me only slightly, but also acted as a role model. Granted that didn't make him the ideal personality, he was made to be something I could aspire to if ever possible in regards to career or whatnot. That said, with me now having a deer-sona, my OCs are pretty much their own characters. They are largely inspired by MLP (whether they be ponies, deer, gryphons, etc.) and still technically represent what I can aspire to. I also tend to use them the most in RPs, any potential stories, or what-have-you.

• Brohoof 3

I wouldn't say I'm an avid OC creator. I sort of end up creating characters as people for my ponysonas to have in his backstory.

I have two ponysonas. Steel Accord and White Belt. Both of them are supposed to reflect me but despite my sincere best efforts, there are some aspects between the two that are different despite both are supposed to be me. Maybe I've changed, since they were created some five years apart from each other. Or maybe both are slightly different exaggerations on my projected self-image.

In any case, my ponysona is supposed to be me or a close approximation if I existed in Equestria. (So I try to keep them grounded, neither are Alicorns and neither have interacted with the Mane Six.) I sometimes use Steel for RPs but it's mainly just for self-expression.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 2

I have ponysona and 11 OCs :please:
My Ponysona is the one in my avatar and he's hybrid between cat and Earth pony. And he's basically my face for online.

For the other OCs, why I have so many? Well :please: I like creating characters :P But all of them are in a way me, some of them are versions with certain part of my personality exaggerated, some are what I would like to be, some are kinda like dark-personas etc. They are kinda like a way to personify my flaws, strengths and interests, and they are ponies because i can't draw humans :P  I use them in RPs and in my daydreaming. 

Edited by The Cerberus
  • Brohoof 3

My sona, the one in my avi, is just a visual representation of myself. No separate characterization, just me as a cartoon. I do however, have MANY MLP OCs.

There’s Fortune Flair, a lucky little Earth pony that works as an acrobat in a circus (who I desperately need to draw more of).

Spoiler

ask_fortune_flair_by_shadobabe-d89s210.p

And then there’s my many characters from my Next Gen universe (Next Gen referring to hypothetical kids of my favorite pairings). Some examples: Pax and Izel.

Spoiler

bipedal_pax_by_shadobabe-d9xy7oh.png

darizotl_child___izel_by_shadobabe-d8jb7

And I have other characters I use in my Next Gen universe that are NOT shipping babies, like Pahtli here, who is Ahuizotl’s adoptive mother in the ShadOVerse.

Spoiler

shadoverse___pahtli__ahuizotl_s_mother__

And then here’s my take on Daring Do’s family. The brown unicorn, Gallant True, is actually from the Daring Do chapter books and is her uncle, but those books only describe what he looks like. The other two, Daring’s parents, are completely from my own mind. They’re Gilded Rune and Precious Mettle (he hates his full name XD).

Spoiler

daring_do_s_family_by_shadobabe-d9lo355.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 4

I have one of each :)

My OC is Starshine. She's a weather pegasus who can break the fourth wall. :P I wanted to have an OC for people to draw art of, and to use as an avatar (though my avatar now is an anime version of her).

I also have a ponysona! Her cutie mark is a map because I love to travel.

Ponysona.png.d8e580725fe92864ff23f5cddde85704.png

Edited by SparklingSwirls
  • Brohoof 4

Ooh so many replies! Thanks so much guys! I’m so nosy and I just love knowing about ponysona a because they fascinate me. As a character concept artist, I’m used to developing visual characters to inform people of their abstract character. I find visualisation to be one of the most important things in relation to developing successful characters. My ponysona is as much me as I can tolerate, and I tried to steer clear from making her devoid of flaw because I’ve seen so many Mary Sues in my life to find them generally a little dull (of course we all love our own Mary Sues because that’s kind of the point). I think even the most Mary Sue ponysona though shows you interesting insights into their creators own character, and they all still fundamentally have flaws. I love flaws. If you haven’t figured out yet you can probably tell I’m a very passionate character creator, and I’m excited to apply that passion to the mlp world now that I’ve rejoined it. Mlp never felt quite and enormous and lively as it does now. I guess back when I was younger, it was always harder to find mlp people online and now it seems we are everywhere! 

Not a great role player, weirdly. At least it makes me feel a bit exposed, but at the same time I do enjoy reading good role plays and would like to eventually participate. I’m probably better suited to drawing than writing though - so if I ever do join a role play I’d love to draw a scene or two if I’m allowed to. 

Show me pictures of your sonas and favourite OCs! I just love them! 

On another note, while I still get used to drawing the g4 style (I’m fair rubbish right now) if anyone wants to do a pony art swap for g4 art and my style, hit me up! I’d love to see my ponysona as a proper g4. 

• Brohoof 3

9 minutes ago, Witch said:

I find visualisation to be one of the most important things in relation to developing successful characters.

Man, me and you are gonna be great buddies, I can feel it. :D

Oh, I’d love to do a trade with you sometime.

• Brohoof 3

@ShadOBabe yes!! I love your g4 style, you actually nail it! A trade definitely needs to happen!

Yay another character enthusiast! I even dedicated my honours year to studying character design. My thesis exegesis query was “How can an artist convey decisive character using visual language?” And I loved it! 

Send me a message when you can do a trade! I’m working this weekend but I can still work on it nights. 

@Nightfall Gloam he is really beautiful! Lovely expression. 

• Brohoof 3

10 minutes ago, Nightfall Gloam said:

I guess you could kinda consider Nightfall Gloam to be my ponysona, since we share much of the same hobbies and interests...

OMG... Gloam... there’s a black dot in the top right corner of that drawing...

It is driving my OCD up the WALL... *stares intensely at the dot* :sunbutt:

• Brohoof 3

LektraBolt.png

This is Lektra Bolt, credits in messed up profiles if you feel like searching that hot mess. Pretty much in the same boat as @Sunset Rose. An OC and role model, not an avid OC maker here. You can say a ponysona but there's some embellishments and idealistic things. We're all guilty of this kind of embellishment to some degree.

Without going into too much detail most would consider nonsensical, let's also call her a tulpa and a voice on my head. Yea we're a couple of nuts short of a basket, what of it? :umad:

Anyway the purpose of the character in-universe is to explain how Equestria has seemingly advanced technology without electricity, electrical appliances, or computers. The Apples have a fridge, stoves and kitchens have been around since Season 1, and the ponies had fans that blew manes in It's Not the Mane Thing about you. We never see wires or electrical outlets to plug into!

The theory is that in a magical world, magic is the technology and enchanting is how this is all accomplished

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 3

Interesting observation @Lektra Bolt! I can imagine magic is quite easily on parr with electricity in terms of having raw energy make up its fundamental core. Magic seems super complex even in FiM. Isn’t beyond the borders of likelihood that they use it to emulate electronic power.

• Brohoof 2

@Witch

5a12712fb1481_MLPForumsAvatar.jpg.3d14233bb7105c9625312ada1f950d0e.jpg

Unicorn Will Guide is me whenever I'm in Equestria. Also, since I'm a huge Disney fan in RL, his magic specializes in all things Disney, especially the animated stuff.

596ec9aa4b2e0_ChangelingWillGuideFinal.png.4ad5f707ddd607cd515a760bc0570346.png.c15b842069358e59a11dd4f15daedb8f.png

Changeling Will Guide speaking here. I was originally born in the Changeling Hive like most other Changelings, but shunned for being the rare kind that feeds on homosexual love rather than heterosexual. After nearly dying in the Ever free Forest, my Unicorn counterpart met me and made a wish to help me. The wish made my soul a part of him, and so now we're literal soul mates who work together to share the stories of Disney with the inhabitants of Equestria.

• Brohoof 4

I just made my ponysona recently, right when I joined these forums! He's so new to the point where I haven't decided what to name him (It will either be rhythm red or red rhythm, I don't know what order it should be:please:). He likes music, of course, and he plays the guitar, even though ponies don't have fingers:P. He's basically me in pony form. If I ever did any role plays, I don't know if I'd use him or make another OC.

• Brohoof 2

14 minutes ago, Rhythm Red said:

I just made my ponysona recently, right when I joined these forums! He's so new to the point where I haven't decided what to name him (It will either be rhythm red or red rhythm, I don't know what order it should be:please:). He likes music, of course, and he plays the guitar, even though ponies don't have fingers:P. He's basically me in pony form. If I ever did any role plays, I don't know if I'd use him or make another OC.

Make him a Unicorn or Pegasus and fingers aren't necessary :)

It's also quite possible he's just trained himself to pluck with the side of his hoof, but that really suspends disbelief.

Hopefully this helps you ;)

• Brohoof 1

@Witch Hi again :grin: Lovely OC you got there I really love the design !
Personally I only have a ponysona, my one and unique OC, his name is Trotteur Sauvage and excepted for the colour of his mane and fur, the pony is just me in a pony body ! That's why he's just a regular earth pony, no magic no wings he's just me, with all my personality trait, same character, same passion and hobbies, same voice same everything EXCEPTED that he's comming from Equestria and not earth so we don't actually have the same history :D

For all the other : your OC and Ponysona are really looking great ! Love ya !

• Brohoof 1