Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc FRACTURED FUTURES: Crystal Expedition (closed/OOC)

GoldieS

16 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

And having Hippogrifs and Griffons in the force?

They could be endangered everywhere else since the plague with enough having migrated to the city

6 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

That looks very impractical. 

How so? Starcraft uses it. The bridge is in the middle. The wing parts don't have personnel in it. The manned area is in blue

Think space ships, but highly scaled down

Carriers in Starcraft have served as flagships. They're very big in comparison to what's actually in them

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

@Denim&Venom

You also have to think about the mechanisms that make it function. Some of it may seem impractical, but we don't know if they serve some unknown function to us cus, well, it's magitek. That's the great part about fantasy, you can make anything serve a reasonable purpose and still make things look cool XP

• Brohoof 1

Just now, GoldieS said:

@Denim&Venom

You also have to think about the mechanisms that make it function. Some of it may seem impractical, but we don't know if they serve some unknown function to us cus, well, it's magitek. That's the great part about fantasy, you can make anything serve a reasonable purpose and still make things look cool XP

Exactly this. High technology through magical progress. Magical enchantments can make the RL impossible possible. It's like the entire philosophy of MLP and what Magitek is extrapolated from :)

1 minute ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Exactly this. High technology through magical progress. Magical enchantments can make the RL impossible possible. It's like the entire philosophy of MLP and what Magitek is extrapolated from :)

3 minutes ago, GoldieS said:

@Denim&Venom

But at the same time, all that rather jars with the feel of the RP were trying to establish. A post apocalypse should be more grounded and gritty. Having space ships w/ perpetual energy reactors pretty much contradicts that. Characters should be aiming for the practical, not the idealistic.

Think, why would a city state that has barley managed to cobble itself together in the century following a caticlysm, ever want, need or dedicate the limited resources needed to build what amounts to a space worthy vessel? Or even better, would our own militaries ever build something like that in a time of crisis and ruin? 

• Brohoof 1

@Denim&Venom

hmm, you're definitely not wrong. Precious resources after all. I doubt our version of the same airship would be space worthy, or with never ending energy, just with a more significant power source compared to past vessels. Believe me, I thought the same thing about the Prydwin in fallout 4... but, who's to say these airships aren't extremely expensive and one of only a small fleet that the city has managed to create over the years for defensive purposes and ranging out to outlying settlements? 

Perhaps the fleet is only a small thing with no more than twelve or so of these ships, the rest being traditional easy to make airships used for trading? Certainly adds a bit of risk to using them, that's for sure. 

Edited by GoldieS

8 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

But at the same time, all that rather jars with the feel of the RP were trying to establish. A post apocalypse should be more grounded and gritty. Having space ships w/ perpetual energy reactors pretty much contradicts that. Characters should be aiming for the practical, not the idealistic.

Think, why would a city state that has barley managed to cobble itself together in the century following a caticlysm, ever want, need or dedicate the limited resources needed to build what amounts to a space worthy vessel? Or even better, would our own militaries ever build something like that in a time of crisis and ruin? 

Whoa whoa whoa. Cobble itself together? Limited resources? What ever gave you this idea? Inside the city our residents enjoy a very high standard of living in an almost utopian society that they don't want to leave, with many conveniences.

Not only has it been 300 years so much progress to occur, but Magitek is very possible in the time of the show right now, in much smaller capacity. Food is just enough and constantly expanding, but Magitek is perpetual.

We have highly advanced magical technology with no pollution (only waste from the residents, and a lot if recycled).

The ships aren't space worthy, that part is right

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

@Lektra Bolt

I see where @Denim&Venom is coming from. A lot of it has to do with keeping things from becoming over powered. Giving ourselves limit and risks for our actions instead of there being no real consequences. 

I look at it this way. Everfree City is in a single location, with limited inorganic resources. The ships and weapons are made via magitek, using composite materials and what not created once again, by magic. They're pretty strong, but they won't compare to things like iron and steel, which are an extremely limited resource. Basically, while New Everfree is self sufficient, it sacrifices some aspects of quality for quantity to fill the needs with the lack of actual mineable resources. 

Thoughts?

I promise you, regardless of your guys' decision, I will make things desperate for the city. Believe me, once this RP really gets started. 

Edited by GoldieS
  • Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, GoldieS said:

@Lektra Bolt

I see where @Denim&Venom is coming from. A lot of it has to do with keeping things from becoming over powered. Giving ourselves limit and risks for our actions instead of there being no real consequences. 

I look at it this way. Everfree City is in a single location, with limited inorganic resources. The ships and weapons are made via magitek, using composite materials and what not created once again, by magic. They're pretty strong, but they won't compare to things like iron and steel, which are an extremely limited resource. Basically, while New Everfree is self sufficient, it sacrifices some aspects of quality for quantity to fill the needs with the lack of actual mineable resources. 

Thoughts?

I promise you, regardless of your guys' decision, I will make things desperate for the city. Believe me, once this RP really gets started. 

Magitek inherently needs alloys and metals to place enchantments onto, but replicators aren't a thing. The absolute basic concept is Enchanted Metallic Objects. The limited resource is the necessary alloys for this process and mining would still be very much necessary. We need to go out and actually obtain the iron to make into steel and other alloys.

Desperate? Ok sounds fun, we'll see how that goes

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

Then... well... I'm afraid if they wish to continue their way of life... they need to start reaching out for more resources... mu ha ha ha! I can already see another RP in the future involving a little bit of civil strife... 

anyways, your guys' call. I'm just here to bounce ideas back at you to help find a comfy compromise. 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, GoldieS said:

Then... well... I'm afraid if they wish to continue their way of life... they need to start reaching out for more resources... mu ha ha ha! I can already see another RP in the future involving a little bit of civil strife... 

anyways, your guys' call. I'm just here to bounce ideas back at you to help find a comfy compromise. 

As I've said we do do this, and an RP about it is not out of the question 

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Whoa whoa whoa. Cobble itself together? Limited resources? What ever gave you this idea? Inside the city our resident enjoy  a very high standard of living in an almost utopian society.

Not only has it been 300 year so much progress to occur, but Magitek is very possible in the time of the show right now, in much smaller capacity. Food is just enough and constantly expanding, but Magitek is perpetual.

We have a highly advanced magical technology with no pollution (only waste from the residents, and a lot if recycled)

What gave me the idea is that we're playing in a world where most of the population has died, entire nations and societies have collapsed, and the continent has become a dangerous no pony's land.

That is way too idyllic for a post apocalypse world. No place on earth short of a government bunker should enjoy a high standard of living. Compared to the outside, it would be idyllic, but life inside NE should not be perfect, especially compared to the show.  

6 minutes ago, GoldieS said:

@Lektra Bolt

Thoughts?

I can't imagine the area between Ponyville and Canterlot being very resource rich, nor the residents mining where they live. So unless NE has managed to secure a quarry and are heavily defending it, they might be closer to imperialist Japan, being conservative w/ what they build and how much metal they use due to their isolation and the metal they have to work with having significant impurities. Or having mass production follow the Soviet model of utilitarian design while maybe citing a few corners. 

• Brohoof 1

@Denim&Venom

@GoldieS

The limited resource is the necessary metals, and food to a certain extent. Power consumption is unlimited though, as is golem and vehicle storage space. They're stored below the city, and once we decide how many Carriers we're taking I'll do a reveal of them appearing from underground chambers. It's gonna be epic B)

4 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

What gave me the idea is that we're playing in a world where most of the population has died, entire nations and societies have collapsed, and the continent has become a dangerous no pony's land.

That is way too idyllic for a post apocalypse world. No place on earth short of a government bunker should enjoy a high standard of living. Compared to the outside, it would be idyllic, but life inside NE should not be perfect, especially compared to the show.  

Fair enough. We just go out mining and collecting metal often enough that we have enough with recycling efforts.

We're definitely conservative with what we get as you mentioned to Gold but impurity isn't much of a factor

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

@Denim&Venom @Lektra Bolt

Oh yah, you're totally right there. Most of the pop has died, and there is indeed a wasteland or wild lands as the case may be. But... perception is reality in this case. Resource issue aside for now, I compare the city kind of like the Institute from fallout 4. Not in the literal sense, but in that they have a functioning society where things are relatively stable. 

However... I know I've barked up this tree before about people and what not, but the perception is reality thing applies to this place for sure. I still don't think the city's residents are as happy as they seem, more of it's all they really know so why risk it? Plus, we all know what directions good intentions can lead to. Doesn't mean it applies here, this is all more or less a conspiracy theory on my part, so don't take it literally! But it looks too much like a brainwashed society for me... XD Err... I mean! Don't tell the director I said that!!

All about perception ladies and gents... 

• Brohoof 2

I buy that @GoldieS. We're not without issues, but it's not bleak at all.

Pic of one of the streets as I see it. Notice the flying. I see that as a mix of constructs and transportation vehicles, both public and private

Spoiler

3.jpg

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

Gah!!! I keep saying it!! DYSTOPIA!!!!! No one believes me!! No one's free! We're all just puppets for the Director!!! Why won't you believe me!?!?!

XD

Also, I imagined it was at least a little more... open? Oh well, just more reason for Zephyr to hate it in our other RP...

Edited by GoldieS
  • Brohoof 1

Well it's open but only visible from the outside. Yes you can see the sky just fine, so Zephyr shouldn't feel cramped. Basically we're inside this, but higher and wider with nothing extending outside the shield and obviously isn't in space

Spoiler

S9000161-Futuristic_cities_in_an_alien_l

No dystopia :P The dystopia is outside

Notice the ruins and harshness outside as a comparison 

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

@GoldieSis right. How many Carriers for each 250 are we taking @Denim&Venom? Let's lay out the numbers in total.

How many of of the 250 should be each type of division? How many golems?

I say one or two should fit all of them, with the reinforcements following in the same setup. Carriers are really big so they need a lot of metal to have been mined so there's probably like 20 max made right now

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Pic if one of the streets as I see it. Notice the flying. I see that as a mix of constructs and transportation vehicles, both public and private

Hide contents

3.jpg

Jeeze louise. That looks way to thriving to me. 

I was imagining something like this:

Related image

Related image

Related image

14 minutes ago, GoldieS said:

@Denim&Venom @Lektra Bolt

Oh yah, you're totally right there. Most of the pop has died, and there is indeed a wasteland or wild lands as the case may be. But... perception is reality in this case. Resource issue aside for now, I compare the city kind of like the Institute from fallout 4. Not in the literal sense, but in that they have a functioning society where things are relatively stable. 

However... I know I've barked up this tree before about people and what not, but the perception is reality thing applies to this place for sure. I still don't think the city's residents are as happy as they seem, more of it's all they really know so why risk it? Plus, we all know what directions good intentions can lead to. Doesn't mean it applies here, this is all more or less a conspiracy theory on my part, so don't take it literally! But it looks too much like a brainwashed society for me... XD Err... I mean! Don't tell the director I said that!!

All about perception ladies and gents... 

Perhaps it's something Twi and the city's older residents have observed. Newer generations lacking that curiosity, that exuberant spark, that diversity is lacking. the need to experience life and the devotion to ideals of love and friendship have been replaced by a devotion to duty, efficiency and nationalistic zeal. The wild stallions as it were, have been replaced by work horses. Work to keep the city running and expanding, or else we'll all die. That's probably the mind set that Twi and Leks have unintentionally cultivated. Sorta like starlight's village, except instead of equality, it's collectivism. Everything is done for the betterment of society, rather than the individual. 

2 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

@GoldieSis right. How many Carriers for each 250 are we taking @Denim&Venom? Let's lay out the numbers in total.

How many of of the 250 should be each type of division? How many golems?

I say one or two should fit all of them, with the reinforcements following in the same setup. Carriers are really big so they need a lot of metal to have been mined

No, the carriers won't be big because where is all that metal coming from?

There's no way a city state in a devastated wasteland remains only such, while possessing dreadnought sized air ships at their disposal. That'd be like the city of Baltimore constructing it's own fleet of air craft carriers. With what? 

We're not proceeding to the crystal empire on war ships. That's too OP. Equestria isn't gonna go from early 20th century levels of tech to Star Trek in 300 years, especially after the near extinction level event that had transpired. 

Air ships the size of our largest air craft make the most sense. Probably 125 Earth Ponies. 75 pegasai. 50 unicorns. Probably 4 mini-tank golems. 

• Brohoof 3

17 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Jeeze louise. That looks way to thriving to me. 

I was imagining something like this:

Related image

Related image

Related image

No, the carriers won't be big because where is all that metal coming from?

There's no way a city state in a devastated wasteland remains only such, while possessing dreadnought sized air ships at their disposal. That'd be like the city of Baltimore constructing it's own fleet of air craft carriers. With what? 

We're not proceeding to the crystal empire on war ships. That's too OP. Equestria isn't gonna go from early 20th century levels of tech to Star Trek in 300 years, especially after the near extinction level event that had transpired. 

Air ships the size of our largest air craft make the most sense. Probably 125 Earth Ponies. 75 pegasai. 50 unicorns. Probably 4 mini-tank golems. 

Thriving is the idea. We're not going to be using real life or real life partly destroyed buildings. We're a thriving futuristic society, maybe not Star Trek but futuristic and looking nothing like IRL. It's a domed futuristic paradise, at least compared to the harsh outside world that threatens everything. We use our resources wisely and efficiently, because we need metal to make alloy for the vehicles, golems, armor, as well as roads and buildings. Everything is made of a type of metal, as Magitek is based on needing metal that is either conductive or magnetic, for balance purposes. We only use rock for parts that aren't enchanted, but if something is enchanted it needs to contain metal. There's alloy in everything.

Though we're not quite a utopia, we're very far from dank and horrible dystopia.

And I never said they were the size of actual spaceships. No space travel for anyone remember. They're definitely the size of the largest of our aircraft, but not shaped like anything of ours. That's the point here

So we have our company layout. Just need to draft the new document and pull the airships out of storage 

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Thriving is the idea. We're not going to be using real life or real life partly destroyed buildings. We're a thriving futuristic society, maybe not Star Trek but futuristic and looking nothing like IRL. It's a domed futuristic paradise, at least compared to the harsh outside world that threatens everything. We use our resources wisely and efficiently, because we need metal to make alloy for the vehicles, golems, armor, as well as roads and buildings. Everything is made of a type of metal, as Magitek is based on needing metal that is either conductive or magnetic, for balance purposes. We only use rock for parts that aren't enchanted, but if something is enchanted it needs to contain metal. There's alloy in everything.

Though we're not quite a utopia, we're very far from dank and horrible dystopia.

And I never said they were the size of actual spaceships. No space travel for anyone remember. They're definitely the size of the largest of our aircraft, but not shaped like anything of ours. That's the point here

You say that, but not say where this is all coming from. Maybe that can be the skeleton int he closet of NE. They've become so thriving by effectively strip mining Equestria and destroying the surrounding environment just to sustain their little city. 

And while they're not the size of space ships, why do they have to look like them at all? What purpose does it serve? What aero-dynamics engineer would green light their air craft looking so alien? Other than to simply look the part? 

• Brohoof 2