Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Episodes which you find off-putting

PonyMage

I tend to hate most of the 2-parters of the show for one reason or another, but "The Cutie Re-Mark" really takes the cake for me for stupidly exaggerating the importance of the Mane 6. Even two-part episodes I don't flat-out hate have parts that I hate.

And "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?" is a single-part episode I really hate for doing nothing with Luna.

5 hours ago, Celli said:

This may sound rude, but if an episode of a cartoon show triggers you, maybe you should find another interest.

I think this could apply to pretty much any form of entertainment since they're not needed for survival, so I agree for that reason even in spite of what I said.

• Brohoof 1

Every Little Thing She Does for teaching the worst moral in the entire show.

That being you never have to take consequences for your actions, and that you can continue to keep on making the same terrible mistakes over and over again, and all you have to do is give a halfhearted apology and you are free to continue doing them over and over again.

• Brohoof 3

A Friend in Deed because Pinkie Pie just kept harassing the donkey.

Wonderbolts Academy was an inconsistent mess. There was the inconsistency on the rules and operations of the Wonderbolts compared to other episodes. Rainbow Dash couldn't beat Lightning Dust so she had to be ousted on a technicality to allow Rainbow Dash to advance. The Mane 5 coming to the Wonderbolts Academy unannounced which added to the mess. Rainbow Dash gives a speech about recklessness then reverts to be reckless in future episodes. 

Edited by Singe

I don’t hate anything, just lemme see which I dislike. 

I forgot the names

the two episode one when flurry heart made the heart shatter by her crying:okiedokieloki: i mean, how lame is that?

I can’t say im a very big fan of the rules of rarity one, or the 100ty episode, it was just so...confusing.

On 12/2/2017 at 2:29 PM, PonyMage said:

that truly trigger us

I don't think this is a proper use of the term "trigger." Seems kinda inappropriate to use a specific psychological term for regular, everyday anger. 

On 12/2/2017 at 2:29 PM, PonyMage said:

For me, the first episode that always comes to mind is "The Best Night Ever." This episode and its "moral" triggers me on so many levels. What even was it? Never look forward to anything? Don't go to parties? Always stay with your established friends and don't branch out? On a logical level, I understand the idea was "don't overhype anything", but it was executed so questionably.

I always saw it as "good friends can save a disappointing experience," or at least "a disappointing experience can be fun to share afterwards."

Usually, when I don't enjoy this show, it's just because I'm just bored or kinda irritated. Those episodes generally make me unhappy while watching them, but there's only really two which have left a lasting negative impact on me, and I've mostly made my peace with them at this point. 

To wit: "Magical Mystery Cure" tries really hard to make me feel something, but the emphasis on "destiny" is always unnerving to me, and I've never felt Twilight's ascension was justified, so it all felt unearned and dismissive. "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?" is action-oriented in a way which I felt ignored everything the show does well, and I found its ultimate moral to have some very dubious implications regarding mental illness. 

And I guess "Fame and Misfortune" made me viscerally unhappy, but I'm still not sure how reasonable that is on my part. 

• Brohoof 3

16 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

I don't think this is a proper use of the term "trigger." Seems kinda inappropriate to use a specific psychological term for regular, everyday anger. 

This entire thread is an abuse of that word and further contributes to the degradation of earnestness people have towards those actually suffering from PTSD.

If you want an example of an episode of MLP triggering someone, take the instance of a friend of mine.  When he saw "Make New Friends but Keep Discord", the way that Discord jealously competed for Fluttershy's attention, going so far as to treat Tree Hugger with the utmost contempt for daring to steal her attention from him, reminded him of his jealous ex who stalked him and accused him of cheating on her when he wasn't available to talk to her 24/7.  He ended up attempting suicide after breaking up with her, but he thankfully survived.

I forgot to add: He was driven into a rage after watching that episode, mostly with how Discord got off with just a stern talking-to despite nearly "killing" Tree Hugger.  To this day, he cannot/will not watch that episode or acknowledge its existence.

Edited by Hazard Time
  • Brohoof 5

Well I prefer to not  be triggered by cartoons as I have better shit to worry about. However, Winter Wrap Up kind of triggered me when I first saw it. The episode itself is pretty standard with the song being the thing that makes it stand out. But I never liked to watch this episode because of the moral. How do I say it? The moral is "Way to close to home." for me. You might think a moral that relates so much to my own personal struggles would  only enhance my enjoyment, but strangely, it doesn't. I just watch it, end up getting sad due to the feeling of never contributing  anything, or never being outright amazing at stuff. I typically enjoy episodes that have morals that are real struggles I have (Make new Friends but Keep Discord and Amending Fences are great examples of this), but this one just makes me feel a  mix  of despair and anger.

Oh I remember the one episode that made me mad beyond belief in MLP.

‘Putting Your Hoof Down’ from Season 2. Remember kids, quiet and shy characters in general are deep down emotionally unstable sociopaths. So make sure you stay faaaaaaaaaar away from the quiet ones. It’s always the quiet and shy ones *paranoia intensifies*.

Also, what’s with all the fuss about the usage of the word “Trigger”? I’m pretty sure that’s not what the OP intended. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

On 12/7/2017 at 1:48 AM, ZethaPonderer said:

Oh I remember the one episode that made me mad beyond belief in MLP.

‘Putting Your Hoof Down’ from Season 2. Remember kids, quiet and shy characters in general are deep down emotionally unstable sociopaths. So make sure you stay faaaaaaaaaar away from the quiet ones. It’s always the quiet and shy ones *paranoia intensifies*.

Also, what’s with all the fuss about the usage of the word “Trigger”? I’m pretty sure that’s not what the OP intended. :lol:

It's funny. I kinda liked this episode because she acted like a sociopath. What tripped me is that they tried to make it iron will fault and make it okay to get out of paying someone. Eitherway... i think 28 Pranks is my most disliked episode. 

Edited by Kadeda

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that people misunderstood this topic a bit.

First of all, when I say an episode triggers me, I don't mean it sends me into a rage or anything of te sort. I mean I find it off putting to an extreme degree.

Secondly, I'm not attempting to degrade, take advantage of, or abuse anything. I thought "trigger" had many meanings, not just the actual medical term.

I'm sorry.

I wouldn't say an episode has "triggered" me, though I admit a few have really gotten me worked up. For example, not long after I joined this forum I went off on a big rant about "The Super Squeezy Cider Easy 6000" because I despise that episode so much. (Except for the song, which is the only good thing about it.)

And the crazy thing is, it was at least a year or more before I wrote the post that I saw that episode! When an episode gets me riled up enough after all that time that I still felt the need to vent, you know it's pushed my buttons in the worst way.

Fluttershy Leans In. I had to make a rants right after this ep, it's the dullest episode of the show that pissed me off.

Daring Done. The episode looks fine until RD get captured without any resistence (why!?)

Cutie Remark. The episode is fantastic, except Starlight backstory, it made me feel disappointed so much that i need months to recover. I am OK with it right now but back then, i just see a great episode ruined by a single moment.

Magical Mystery Cure- Honestly, this episode was poorly structured, poorly paced, and just a downright travesty. The season was pretty horrible as it was in my opinion (there was probably only one decently good episode in the entire season), but this episode put the nail in the coffin. Literally HALF of it was filled with songs that were cringy at BEST and "I'd rather listen to nails on a chalkboard" at worst that had little meaning within the context of the episode, and the other half was about Twilight suddenly being turned into an Alicorn for little reason. Probably the poorest writing in the entire series, even over the next episode I'll mention, which is surprisingly absent from this thread.

Hard to Say Anything- This is the worst ship-fiction ever. All that's really necessary honestly. It's basically your average fanfiction involving shipping Big Mac with anything, except even worse. Worst of all, THIS WAS AN ACTUAL EPISODE. The writer should have raised eyebrows, but it would STILL have disappointed.

On 12/20/2017 at 6:05 PM, PonyMage said:

It seems that people misunderstood this topic a bit.

First of all, when I say an episode triggers me, I don't mean it sends me into a rage or anything of te sort. I mean I find it off putting to an extreme degree.

Secondly, I'm not attempting to degrade, take advantage of, or abuse anything. I thought "trigger" had many meanings, not just the actual medical term.

I'm sorry.

Thank you for changing the title. 

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 2:29 PM, PonyMage said:

Let's have a nice little thread to talk about the episodes that we find truly off-putting. These aren't episodes we dislike; these are episodes we hate, and we want the world to know, dangit.

For me, the first episode that always comes to mind is "The Best Night Ever." This episode and its "moral" annoys me on so many levels. What even was it? Never look forward to anything? Don't go to parties? Always stay with your established friends and don't branch out? On a logical level, I understand the idea was "don't overhype anything", but it was executed so questionably. Seeing the Mane6 have their hopes and dreams dashed isn't particularly enjoyable (even if there are funny moments), and them making total jerks of themselves by ruining the gala for everyone isn't fun either. Oh, but don't worry; according to Celestia, that doesn't matter because the gala is always "boring!" Let's all laugh about it! Seriously... what? It's especially jarring since this was a season finale that was (somewhat) built up throughout the season.

Enough about me though. I want to know which episodes upset all of you.

Really? IMO, that episode had some of the best scenes in S1.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mlp+s1+best+night+ever+rarity&&view=detail&mid=74EEF25DAEDB68DEDEE274EEF25DAEDB68DEDEE2&rvsmid=ECD856C7E4ACC9EA15A3ECD856C7E4ACC9EA15A3&FORM=VDQVAP

There are some episodes that I dislike, but the way I think that you mean it, really only 1. The Mysterious Mare Do Well. What, they can't even TRY talking to Dash first? Public humiliation is the only way to go?

• Brohoof 1

"Simple Ways" is one that comes to mind right away. I've only ever seen it once, and once was one time too many IMO. The thing is, most Rarity-centric episodes are a little boring to me with an exception here and there ("The Saddle Row Review" being one of them) but this one was just cringe-worthy beyond belief.

Any number of scenes that depict Fluttershy caring for so many animals on screen or the inside of her cottage showing so many animals living in there, it says animal hoarding to me. Need an episode okay, It Ain't Easy Being Breezies.

Edited by Singe

I mentioned the various Wonderbolt episodes in a previous post here, but I forgot to mention what is perhaps my least favorite episode of all time: Applejack's "Day" Off. Applejack is so dumbed down in that episode that I can't help but cringe so hard just thinking about it. I can't see myself ever re-watching it again after my last run-through of Season 6. What an insult to her character. We know she's stubborn. We get it. That has been drilled into our heads since the first season.

The other episode I dislike that way would be Ponyville Confidential.  Most of the episode is excellent, but the way the Mane 6 over react to things..... Instead of dealing with their sisters. AJ & Rarity just throw them out? Totally Out Of Line.