Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Unable to upload images on PMs

Foxy Socks

I have noticed that for some reason you can't upload images in private messages, even though everywhere else, including status updates, you can. The only thing available is to post previously uploaded images, but it is both a pain and limiting. I have to upload an image on another place, such as on the testing forum, just so I can post it. Is there any way to resolve this?

You should be able to link images just fine by linking off site yes, but not uploading. Using attachments in messages is a paid perk for subscribers by design. 

• Brohoof 2

28 minutes ago, Foxy Socks said:

I see, but why can it be done for status updates?

Attachments in PM's were an established perk on the old version of MLPF (IPB v 3.x). Status updates in that version never allowed attachments for anyone. It wasn't a possible feature for any user since the old system was significantly limited. No attachments, no images, no emotes, and a simple text box with no format options. 

When they upgraded MLPF to the new version of the software, the new status update system had an attachment feature. It was applied universally. Basically, if the attachments in statuses were a thing back when Feld created the perks ... they would probably be part of them. Instead, we can all enjoy them. 

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Attachments in PM's were an established perk on the old version of MLPF (IPB v 3.x). Status updates in that version never allowed attachments for anyone. It wasn't a possible feature for any user since the old system was significantly limited. No attachments, no images, no emotes, and a simple text box with no format options. 

When they upgraded MLPF to the new version of the software, the new status update system had an attachment feature. It was applied universally. Basically, if the attachments in statuses were a thing back when Feld created the perks ... they would probably be part of them. Instead, we can all enjoy them. 

I see, that makes more sense now. At least we can keep the status update uploader.

4 hours ago, Jeric said:

That's not quite right. The reasoning for attachments in PM's being a subscriber feature is mainly because PM's are hidden away from the public. We're happier to foot the bill (read: spend subscriber money subsidizing a feature for everypony) for attachments in public content because great public content helps attract new users to the site. This property does not hold for personal conversations, so getting a subscription pays for the resources your attachments there will use.

• Brohoof 3

14 minutes ago, Feld0 said:

This property does not hold for personal conversations, so getting a subscription pays for the resources your attachments there will use.

Then I respectfully stand corrected on my guess of you-from-the-past's financial motivation centered around a hypothetical status update system. 

I'm curious though. Did MLPF ever store off-site images that individuals linked in their private messages?

• Brohoof 3