Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I'm making Sunburst's cloak to wear. [WIP]

Toastypk

Hey all. I haven't been on this board in some time, but I wanted to post something I've started to work on and get ideas and input.

EDIT: Does this thread go in Photo Finish's Magics if I'm just looking for input? If so please move this.

sunburst.png

This guy. <3

I've been having a growing adoration of Sunburst in recent months. He and Starlight actually really speak to me a lot, what with their personalities and stories. Plus Sunburst is a serious cute dude. I started to get the idea: I should make his cloak!

I did a lot of looking in fabric stores and such, and I bought the right material for what I want to do.

sunburstmaterial.jpg

A dark teal fleece fabric, which I was pretty particular about finding the right color.

For the border, I originally wanted to use a light blue ribbon, but I found something even better that's specifically made for blankets and things. "Satin blanket binding."

Light blue threads to sew with.

Not pictured, but I got printable cotton that I'm going to make the stars out of.

cloak.png

The fabric I got is a yard long, and like about 5 feet wide.

Here's my idea: The most basic thing I can do, and the one that I wanted to do in the first place, is pretty much a throw blanket thing that I can wrap around me. But then I realized that if I do this, I might want to go all the way and make a for real cape or something, one that would have the popped collar and his symbol as a clasp, I could probably make that with wood or something. I don't know how to do a popped collar, or even if I want to.

Not to mention this is being made for a biped, not a quadraped like Sunburst. As such I don't need it to match his body type and positioning in a perfect way. His doesn't have arm holes, it's just a drape, which would be best for me.

Issues and questions:

I wanted the stars to be iron on vinyl at first, but I learned that you really can't do that with the fabric I chose, so I found one that you don't need to iron on. You need fabric glue, which I don't have yet, I should know which one to get.

I have practically zero experience using a sewing machine, I have a tiny one that I experimented with with the intent of making plushes, though that went nowhere, but I have an absolute basic basic knowledge of how to use a super basic one. And sewing a border like this onto fabric is a lot less complex than plushes.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments?

As far as I'm aware, this is the one of the only times this has been attempted. I've seen a couple of Sunburst cosplay images, but I don't think they have the stars. If I make this, I can't wait to show you!

Edited by Toastypk
  • Brohoof 1

Given that this piece is a craft/cosplay, I believe the topic should be moved from this sub-section. Furthermore, given that you seek input, it shall be relocated into Trixie's Tricks.

Have a lovely day now!