Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler A Friendship to Remember book. Future web episodes adaptation?

Steve Piranha

Well, a new EG book called "A Friendship to Remember" was released earlier today. while this is normally belongs to Comics and Books forum, I think there's good discussion for the EG brand as a whole, namely: if it's a stand-alone story, or it's an adaptation of one or more upcoming webisodes. Our Pal Toon4Thought already mentioned it has some big stuff in there....

but I'll bring the word of mouth spoilers that I've found in the comment section of EQD

POTENTIAL BIG SPOILERS AHEAD :angry: 

-Well, the plot seems to be about the Humane6 forgetting that Sunny was reformed, and threat her as the old bully, whose synopsis makes NO EFFORT TO EVEN MENTION

-Trix gains Equestrian magic, teleportation to be more specific

-Sunny, on her quest to find out what's wrong, not only she goes to Equestria, BUT MEETS CELESTIA AT LAST

Well, you think it's an adaptation? or a stand-alone story? 

Link, and it has spoilers as well

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2017/12/equestria-girls-friendship-to-remember.html

Edited by Steve Piranha
  • Brohoof 2

The thing about the junior novels is that most of the stories that were original to them (for both MLP and EqG) were very low in stakes, making this one stand out like a sore thumb. In fact, the way the plot is paced and executed feels very much like a TV movie, to the point where I wouldn't even be surprised if the story was originally thought up as one. It's like this was originally going to be a fifth film but was scrapped or something.

Heck, for all we know, this still might end up being an animated project. I mean, I don't think its a coincidence that an early chapter takes place at the beach, which just so happened to have a themed minis set announced not long ago. But assuming they aren't doing a movie anytime soon (considering we would've heard something about it by now), how in the world would they even insert this into the shorts? Even assuming the later ones ARE much longer, this feels like it would require a multi-parter at the very least.

It's just very confusing to think about.

Just read it. Not bad. I am a little dissapointed that its fully 100% a Sunset/Trixie plot with the other 6 as little more than cameos, but its a good link to sunset's reformation and also acts as a Text dump for the newbies to the Series (since there's probably going to be people who just start watching the series without having seen the movies before).

Wallflower has decent feeling motivation and feels like a better and more relateable villain than Juniper montage stumping around like a giant retard, and the plot feels tight due to the villains more low key and understandable goal.
This Plot feels like it'll be 2 22 minute episodes IMO, as it doesn't feel like there's enough substance there for 3 episodes unless they really pad it out.

That being said, I hope there's more REAL episodes (get those 120 second pieces of garbage out of here) than this, as this is fully a sunset episode with the others as cameos, and while that's FINE if there's some REAL episodes dedicated to the other 6 too, I'm going to be highly nonplussed if the ONLY legitimate meaty episodes for this series are a couple dedicated to sunset/Trixie.

One thing, I do hope that we have that sorceress that got chased into the human world show up as a future villain, as the book doesn't address what happened to her, only that clover got the memory stone back from her. She could act as a good future arc villain due to being an equestrian refugee there. I kind of hope they explain why Trixie was able to randomly teleport with smoke bombs as well, maybe that some magic whisps hit her smoke bombs when she wasn't looking in the episode.

4 hours ago, A.V. said:

Given the 2 milestones you mentioned, it definitely needs to be a future-episodes adaptation, IMO.

I don't see it NOT being an episode; they usually make the books as adaptions of movie or special plots after all, like the legend of everfree or the dance magic stuff. There are a couple original plots (Like the sunset time to shine one), but this seems pretty on the money as a Special/episode adaption.

12 minutes ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

Reveal hidden contents

Just read it. Not bad. I am a little dissapointed that its fully 100% a Sunset/Trixie plot with the other 6 as little more than cameos, but its a good link to sunset's reformation and also acts as a Text dump for the newbies to the Series (since there's probably going to be people who just start watching the series without having seen the movies before).

Wallflower has decent feeling motivation and feels like a better and more relateable villain than Juniper montage stumping around like a giant retard, and the plot feels tight due to the villains more low key and understandable goal.
This Plot feels like it'll be 2 22 minute episodes IMO, as it doesn't feel like there's enough substance there for 3 episodes unless they really pad it out.

That being said, I hope there's more REAL episodes (get those 120 second pieces of garbage out of here) than this, as this is fully a sunset episode with the others as cameos, and while that's FINE if there's some REAL episodes dedicated to the other 6 too, I'm going to be highly nonplussed if the ONLY legitimate meaty episodes for this series are a couple dedicated to sunset/Trixie.

One thing, I do hope that we have that sorceress that got chased into the human world show up as a future villain, as the book doesn't address what happened to her, only that clover got the memory stone back from her. She could act as a good future arc villain due to being an equestrian refugee there. I kind of hope they explain why Trixie was able to randomly teleport with smoke bombs as well, maybe that some magic whisps hit her smoke bombs when she wasn't looking in the episode.

I don't see it NOT being an episode; they usually make the books as adaptions of movie or special plots after all, like the legend of everfree or the dance magic stuff. There are a couple original plots (Like the sunset time to shine one), but this seems pretty on the money as a Special/episode adaption.

From what I can tell, most of said original plots are either very low-stakes or hastily cobbling multiple unrelated elements together.

This is neither of those.

3 hours ago, Toon4Thought said:

From what I can tell, most of said original plots are either very low-stakes or hastily cobbling multiple unrelated elements together.

This is neither of those.

That's what I mean, this one seems too well designed to be a original plot so its pretty clearly an adaption of an upcoming episode/special/whatever.

• Brohoof 1

Remember when it was announced that some episodes of the shorts would vary in length?

Well assuming this is an adaptation and not an original story, I think this might actually be one of the longer episode.

Or at the very least I am hoping that is the case.

I have been enjoying the EQG digital series the way it is right now, but this only makes me crave more fleshed out stories from it even more.

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

Remember when it was announced that some episodes of the shorts would vary in length?

Well assuming this is an adaptation and not an original story, I think this might actually be one of the longer episode.

I have been enjoying the EQG digital series the way it is right now, but this only makes me crave more fleshed out stories from it even more.

I also have suspicious that this may end up being part of the digital series (particularly because of the beach minis, which an early chapter just so happens to take place at). But I'm curious as to how they even would, even assuming longer shorts. Because keep in mind, the book is about the same length as the 70-minute adaptations.

It sounds....like a pretty big deal for them to leave it simply as a book, the story is pretty big on stakes, and those milestones are really big for them to simply leave it in the books

Spoiler

Though even if it remains stuck in the books, as far as milestones go it'll still be a better milestone than Newbie Dash

9 hours ago, Toon4Thought said:

The thing about the junior novels is that most of the stories that were original to them (for both MLP and EqG) were very low in stakes, making this one stand out like a sore thumb. In fact, the way the plot is paced and executed feels very much like a TV movie, to the point where I wouldn't even be surprised if the story was originally thought up as one. It's like this was originally going to be a fifth film but was scrapped or something.

Heck, for all we know, this still might end up being an animated project. I mean, I don't think its a coincidence that an early chapter takes place at the beach, which just so happened to have a themed minis set announced not long ago. But assuming they aren't doing a movie anytime soon (considering we would've heard something about it by now), how in the world would they even insert this into the shorts? Even assuming the later ones ARE much longer, this feels like it would require a multi-parter at the very least.

It's just very confusing to think about.

I was wondering, does the beach thing happen before or after they finish the yearbook?

1 hour ago, ShadowSJG said:

I was wondering, does the beach thing happen before or after they finish the yearbook?

It happens in the book.

The mane seven are planning a Beach get together, and when sunset runs up to join the other 6, none of them remember her and basically are like "what the Hell are you doing here?" because their memories of her basically only go up to the end of the first movie.

the beach is a very, VERY small part of the story. Incidental really. And since the Yearbook's not finished till the very end of the book, that means the beach happens before it.

Edited by Unlikeable Pony

On 12/6/2017 at 6:29 PM, cmarston1 said:

Well, it's leaning more into being an adaptation. So far, we got 11 episodes of under 3 minutes each, but we are still over 30 episodes left, and some of them could hit a milestone and make it not only longer, but make bigger stakes like Sunny going back to Equestria. I think the beach scenes help the argument even more, as I doubt Hasbro would be launching a toyline for the girls on the beach and leave it only in the books :dash: . Plus Trix has a doll in that line, and she seems to be a main character in the book, enough to have her own powers :huh: 

22 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Well, it's leaning more into being an adaptation. So far, we got 11 episodes of under 3 minutes each, but we are still over 30 episodes left, and some of them could hit a milestone and make it not only longer, but make bigger stakes like Sunny going back to Equestria. I think the beach scenes help the argument even more, as I doubt Hasbro would be launching a toyline for the girls on the beach and leave it only in the books :dash: . Plus Trix has a doll in that line, and she seems to be a main character in the book, enough to have her own powers :huh: 

Kind of curious if they'll ever explain that, or if there's just going  to be a bunch of other characters at canterlot high developing magic as the series goes on.

7 hours ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

Kind of curious if they'll ever explain that, or if there's just going  to be a bunch of other characters at canterlot high developing magic as the series goes on.

I doubt Trix will get her magic out of thin air. She may find her geode in the beach, or something else powered by leaked magic. But it's curious and unexpected for human Trix to have magic. It is because her pony self is Starlight's friend, and thus got closer to be a main character? Who knows? But that opens the possibility of more students getting magic abilities as well

1 hour ago, Steve Piranha said:

I doubt Trix will get her magic out of thin air. She may find her geode in the beach, or something else powered by leaked magic. But it's curious and unexpected for human Trix to have magic. It is because her pony self is Starlight's friend, and thus got closer to be a main character? Who knows? But that opens the possibility of more students getting magic abilities as well

I would laugh hard if this lead to Flash Sentry getting magical abilities of some kind.

Besides that, having other students gain magic would be an interesting direction to take the series, one that I would be all for.

Edited by cmarston1

I am considering the possibility that the geodes are transferrable - that instead of being specific to each EqG, any geode in the hands of any EqG activates their latent ability - so Fluttershy, wearing SunShim's geode, would still talk to animals rather than read minds; they are a power source for a latent ability.

That would imply that if any OTHER students had latent abilities, they could be activated by wearing one of the six existing geodes, without needing to craft new ones. Downside there is... if that were true, why did no other students at the camp show growing abilities while the mane six did?

11 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

I would laugh hard if this lead to Flash Sentry getting magical abilities of some kind.

Besides that, having other students gain magic would be an interesting direction to take the series, one that I would be all for.

9 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Oh boy, you DO read minds :D

Flash sentry, the impossible thief: His power? The ability to steal anything, including Conceptual ideas such as waifus and love.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

Flash sentry, the impossible thief: His power? The ability to steal anything, including Conceptual ideas such as waifus and love.

Isn't Persona 5 about stealing intangible stuff inside people's mind :huh: ? I just happen to know a Persona/EG crossover with Flashy as the main character :D 

Well given that Hasbro has released some new teasers for episodes of the EQG series, two of which actually showcase episodes that haven't been released yet even from Discovery Family's app, I think one of them might actually be from an adaptation of A Friendship to Remember.

Edited by cmarston1

6 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

Well given that Hasbro has released some new teasers for episodes of the EQG series, two of which actually showcase episodes that haven't been released yet even from Discovery Family's app, I think one of them might actually be from an adaptation of A Friendship to Remember.

We got the girls at the beach, which matches with at least one chapter in the book. Now we have to wait if Trix gets powers and Sunny reconciles with Celly

On 12/15/2017 at 6:55 PM, Steve Piranha said:

We got the girls at the beach, which matches with at least one chapter in the book. Now we have to wait if Trix gets powers and Sunny reconciles with Celly

Wait, the beach thing happens during the yearbook thing right?

On 10-12-2017 at 3:26 PM, cmarston1 said:

Oh, that would be perfect. :lol: What kind of power would he get?

The students I'm most interested in with magical powers are Trixie, Flash, Derpy, the CMC.