Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How to change career when you have no Idea what you're doing

burlynide

Here's a couple pieces of advice I have for anyone in the same situation...

1) Start with making a summary of all the things you can and like to do.

Even everyday things, like cooking or sewing or driving, might be helpful in landing a job (household service or delivery, for example). But it's still best to focus on what makes you stand out from the crowd; meaning skills you're very good at and/or that're uncommon.

2) Then look for whatever jobs are most in need of those things.

You're bound to find several of them, each one more or less suitable for you, so be ready for some extensive selection work.

(Uhh, I gotta confess, I'm stumped at this stage. I did extensive studies and traineeships in molecular biology, but nobody seems to be looking for someone as inexperienced as I am. Every job offer that seems to suit my background, is either asking for 2+ years experience or requires semi-related skills I don't have.)

3) For some careers, you may need to learn new skills or knowledge.

Don't hesitate to do that - look for schools or universities that teach things you don't know. Even if you don't get the particular position you're aiming for, it'll provide you ammo to tackle other jobs later.

(Then again, I've tried this and got turned down without an accurate explanation, so be mindful about that.)

4) I'm assuming you know how to get an interview, but one tip I've read in an article (could've been via LinkedIn, I forgot) is to treat your job interview like a professional reunion.

Whichever company or small group you're looking to join, act as if you were already an employee. Present them with practical solutions to problems, for example, or suggest an improvement. Make them realize you're a good asset and they'll take you as seriously as you took them.

Edited by Feather Spiral

• 5 months later...