Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's the Worst Holiday You've Ever Been On?

Reecejackox

The worst holiday ever? uhhhhhhh well I suppose it would be the time my family went out to Colorado, the trip started out pretty rough because my dad scheduled the limo to pick us up at our house at the same time our flight was taking off from the airport 40 mins away. So obviously we ended up missing our flight, and then when we did finally get to Denver, our hotel was under a renovation so the whole building was covered in scaffolding. This also meant that every time we were in our room there was always loud pounding and banging from the construction workers right outside the window. My brother was also pretty young at the time, so he wanted to ride in a stroller everywhere, and when your climbing up steep mountain side slopes, you can't really bring a stroller. Needless to say he was throwing temper tantrums about not being able to sit and be rolled everywhere quite often during the trip. So yeah, probably my families worst holiday ever.   

Are you talking about holiday holiday or vacation "holiday"?

I'll just answer both...

For the holiday(s), it would be work day. 

For the vacation it would be wedding day. 

My family and I went to New Jersey expecting a fun-filled week of swimming in the ocean.

A "nor'easter" hit the very second day: it was completely unexpected too. So we pretty much had to stay inside the whole time.

Edited by SparklingSwirls
  • Brohoof 1

Went to Mexico for a long vacay and it sucked. Okay, I know English isn't the native tongue and that's okay. But there were none of the basics I look to for peace, comfort or relaxation. There was nowhere to go and I didn't feel safe anyway. Most people regarded me like I was some blob in a petri dish, and every time they saw an American approaching they 'adjusted' their prices for goods and services accordingly. 

We went to a camping in The Netherlands twice and the second time was just boring and familiar. As a child I wanted to explore and that is hard if you already know the place. ^_^

It was practically a family tradition that things would go wrong on our vacations when I was younger.

It started with easily the worst, but I was too young to remember. My family went down to Florida to Disney World. At some point they dropped me off at a daycare. I climbed up some stairs and fell several feet on my head and almost died. It really should have just happened.

Much lesser bad things that happened in later vacations:

We traveled over to South Carolina and North Carolina. On the way a tire flew off of our van into a swamp. I saw it roll into the swamp, but wasn't sure it was ours and I'm not sure what made us stop. In retrospect this one seems rather silly, but I remember thinking it was a huge deal back then!

I remember another time our camper got a flat tire. Again, not such a big deal, but it certainly felt like it!

Then in between fifth and sixth grade my family took a trip down to San Antonio, Texas in the heat of the summer... In that same van, which didn't have air-conditioning. It was a miserable ride.

Flash forward a few years, my family went camping in Branson, Missouri during the summer. At this point we either no longer had that van or it didn't work very well anymore, so instead of the camper, we had a tent. Branson is, of course, a mountainous city... One night it rained heavily and the water came running down the hills and flooded our tent.

Ooh, that reminds me of one more incident! This one was before the above and I think the very weekend before 9/11. We went camping in central Oklahoma (nothing good can come out of that!). My parents set up a tent. But for some reason or other we decided not to stay in the tent and stayed in the van instead. This was for the best, we would find out the next morning. A storm came through. We woke up and found that the tent had blown off its foundation and got ripped up into a tree near a lake.

That campsite was also pretty miserable altogether. I remember the grass being full of stickers and flies being everywhere.

...I really, really, really hate camping and never intend to do it again. Do you see why? lol

Cayton Bay back a few years ago. Went with my father and his ex. My father didn't do anything wrong, it was his ex that ruined it for everyone, even her own kid. Acted like a damn kid herself and she was what, in her 50's at the time?

She'd berate my dad for not spending EVERY SINGLE second with her and her family. Was ridiculous.

Total psycho that one was. 

Edited by Gideon

• 1 year later...

About four and a half years ago. First family reunion in 7 years. And first Christmas spent with them in 17 years.

Problem is we had to drive from Milwaukee to San Diego to make it happen. We were gonna go non-stop, but it was an exhausting traveling in a car for the better part of a day, that day being spent driving through the barren wastelands of Iowa, Kansas and Oklahoma. Most of the towns we went through looked like they were ripped straight from Fallout. We ended up adding a night to the trip by spending it at a motel in Doll Heart, TX. A glorified truck stop if there ever was one. Once we resumed it was more travelling through wastelands, desserts this time. Drove through a sand storm. Lost, found, then lost our wifi signal, my FiMFiction account the only thing attaching me to sanity. After 48 hours we finally made the 619 and grandma's house. 

Like to say that I was smooth sailing from there, but no plan survives contract with the enemy, that enemy being colds and the flu, general grouchiness and being in a mad rush to get things done. Didn't really have any time to relax because we were jumping from point A to B to C. Took a tour of the U.S.S. Midway, fitting since my brother was going into the Navy the next month. Had to cut it short. Had dinners with both halves of my extended family. Had to cut those short. Cut short our traditional Christmas eve shopping game. Cut short Christmas day. Rush back onto the road. Visit grandpa and step grandma and their wolf dogs. Rush out of there too. Then more travel. Stop by the grand canyon for a cup of coffee, then high tail it out of there. Spend the next two days travelling. Half the vacation was just traveling.

And all this rushed travel just frayed the nerves of everyone in my family, me included. We argued about something or another and I was about at my wits end. Dad told me if I wasn't happy that I could walk back to Wisconsin. Came very close to doing just that. He had to talk me back in order to try and keep his family together. It was an awkward and quiet trip till we got to our next hotel, which smelled awful cause the rodeo was in town.  Had to just power through the last day to end a stressful trip.

We all needed a vacation from our vacation.  Next time, I'll take the plane.