Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Favorite video game visuals

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

Gamers these days tend to obsess a little too much about graphics. While a truly immersive experience is something I can understand wanting, sometimes it goes beyond that and it makes gamers forget about the game itself, or the game's actual visual style or artistic vision.

So let's take a step back from pure 'graphics' and instead focus on what our favorite visuals are in gaming. Basically, any and all graphical styles in a game that you really like.It can be an art style, visual effects, or just the graphics of a game in general. Most visuals in games can be appreciated to some extent regardless of its age or platform, though some are better than others, looking at you Ride to Hell Retribution with your ugly look.

One game that has some of my favorite visuals in any game is Child of Light. This game simply looks spectacular and beautiful. The artistic design and seeing it all in motion is a dazzling experience. It is amazing art in motion.

child_of_light-7.jpg

Damn that game is amazing. It was easily my game of the year for 2014.

Another game that I love the visuals for is a game I got recently, and that is Splatoon 2. It is a game that caught me by surprise with its visuals as they look fantastic. The colors are incredibly vibrant and have a huge pop to them. For comparison sake and to show just how much a visual style can make the difference, Splatoon 2 in 1080p looks better than Call of Duty WW2 does in Native 4K.

Splatoon-Gets-a-Colorful-and-Action-Pack

This screenshot doesn't quite do the game justice.

• Brohoof 2

okami_hd_new.jpg

Okami was always a good one, the did a beautiful putting the tradition Japanese water-color artstyle to work in motion

59fe9a66b9e44.image.jpg

Same with Okami, Cuphead does a fantastic job emulating the early 30's/40's cartoon artstyle

81qZH176yZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Odin Sphere is one of the prettiest 2D games I've ever played and suits the fairy-tale/storybook storytelling(bleh)

404537_scr9_a.png

Transformers Devastation is one of the better Cartoon-to-Game transitions I've seen, properly bringing the G1 artstyle to life with a hint of the comic's influence

ec7ybbfae8754mvrgx7o.jpg

Dragon Ball FighterZ looks like you're directly controlling the anime

• Brohoof 2

Cuphead definitely has a very good visuals. Not many games are are styled like it, with the animation being done with hand-drawn individual frames.

And it's very unique compared to most indie games which tend to stick to a pixel art style that's kind of over-used.

Edited by Celli
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

I love the fairly childlike yet expressive 2D visuals of Night in the Woods. To me, they really compliment the game's themes of coming-of-age and not quite wanting to let go of one's youth.

Night-in-the-Woods-Dusk.jpg

And I will always love the breathtaking visuals of Super Mario Galaxy and its sequel. Imagine these screenshots in HD as part of a hypothetical Switch remake of either game. That would be heavenly. And honestly, they already look pretty great on a standard def console.

galaxy2.jpg

forget-nx-its-time-for-nintendo-to-go-so

• Brohoof 3

Gotta agree with the stuff @Prowl posted before me. Transformers: Devastation was gorgeous and FighterZ blows me away. My sister says it looks like trash, she's crazy I swear. 

SaveTheLight_StrawberryBattlefield.png

3314136-steven+universe_+save+the+light_

Steven Universe: Save the Light was not a very good game, but it had some great visuals. Very simplistic yet colorful. Unfortunately, it also had very limited visuals that made the best part of the game feel samey after awhile.

0.jpg

hqdefault.jpgy5Li1Zr.jpg

Phantasy Star IV is an older game, but I love the way it does cutscenes. Very cinematic for the time with classic, 80s/90s style anime portraits. The game has aged incredibly well, way better then I, II and III so I suggest checking it out if you want to enjoy great JRPG fun.

• Brohoof 3

• 3 weeks later...

TF2's visuals are really good, actually. The cartoonish, unique style is rather creative for the FPS genre, and fits this game really well.

14238d1203801123-official-post-your-team

I've also been a fan of the visuals of the Borderlands series, with their interestingly gritty look they have. Apparently other people think it would look better without all of the lines, but I disagree. The visual style would lose half of what I like about it.

71dl7s9IbXL._SL1024_.jpg

Borderlands-1-PC-Crack.jpg

As can be told, I'm not the biggest fan of realistic visuals, and prefer styles like these. Didn't mention some others I like for similar reasons, but some of them are already here so there's not much of a need.

Edited by Duzzkey

I really like the graphics from paper mario 64.

image.png.962682ede3348ec06cbce2d6b2304cd9.png

I don't know what it is specifically about this style that I like; there's just something about 2D characters in a vibrant 3D world that I can't help but enjoy. However, I think sticker star and colour splash go way too far with the paper theme and it just falls flat and feels unrealistic.

Wind Waker, Skyward Sword, and Breath of the Wild are some of my favorite looking games. You could play these games 20+ years from now, and visually they will never age a day. I really hope Skyward Sword, and Wind Waker get ported to the Nintendo Switch, because I would buy that in seconds. 

MadWorld on the Wii is incredibly stylistic, and incredibly over the top, much like playing an actual comic book.

Cuphead has so much love and attention put into it, I would feel bad if I didn't give it a mention. 

5a73c7278bb49_Windwaker.thumb.jpg.664bd3fe5ba93a7a1d7aab98a101f7aa.jpg5a73c7b2b65a2_skywardsword.jpg.00564ab746a7e53aa054bac249c9e1f8.jpg

5a73c821cf231_breathofwild.thumb.jpg.d9e73eb9ed61ea9f864c6d42ad53c715.jpg           Madworld.jpg.9050733d0a15d528eef2afea05c2af24.jpg

cuphead.jpg.c63fa686ad32f8e1a365b420d436a523.jpg

On 1/28/2018 at 7:59 PM, Cash In said:

The crayon colour style of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is great and I find it pleasing to look at.

images.png.c4219b4c71ca6bc6d7aa28cb48b4109f.png

5a6e9bd15a0a3_images(4).jpeg.9dda78ed5f086a0c4ec2c65d99cfba14.jpeg

5a6e9bd218006_images(5).jpeg.babedf3f927bdbc19aa23141c087feae.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Celtore said:

I really like the graphics from paper mario 64.

image.png.962682ede3348ec06cbce2d6b2304cd9.png

I don't know what it is specifically about this style that I like; there's just something about 2D characters in a vibrant 3D world that I can't help but enjoy. However, I think sticker star and colour splash go way too far with the paper theme and it just falls flat and feels unrealistic.

1 minute ago, ultrairongorilla said:

Wind Waker, Skyward Sword, and Breath of the Wild are some of my favorite looking games. You could play these games 20+ years from now, and visually they will never age a day. I really hope Skyward Sword, and Wind Waker get ported to the Nintendo Switch, because I would buy that in seconds. 

MadWorld on the Wii is incredibly stylistic, and incredibly over the top, much like playing an actual comic book.

Cuphead has so much love and attention put into it, I would feel bad if I didn't give it a mention. 

5a73c7278bb49_Windwaker.thumb.jpg.664bd3fe5ba93a7a1d7aab98a101f7aa.jpg5a73c7b2b65a2_skywardsword.jpg.00564ab746a7e53aa054bac249c9e1f8.jpg

5a73c821cf231_breathofwild.thumb.jpg.d9e73eb9ed61ea9f864c6d42ad53c715.jpg           Madworld.jpg.9050733d0a15d528eef2afea05c2af24.jpg

cuphead.jpg.c63fa686ad32f8e1a365b420d436a523.jpg

I agree with all of you there! Nintendo games are like the Disney of Video Games!

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Star Wars:  Jedi:  Fallen Order had a scene where the main character, Cal, took a ride on a Giant Shyyo Bird.  The bird shows Cal countless landscapes:wau: of Kashyyk.  Telling us that :odespite the damage and suffering the Galactic Empire is causing, all is not lost;) to the beloved Wookie homeworld:(