Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ways the movie DIDN'T disappoint you?

Luna the Great of all the Russias

As there are many threads here about criticizing the movie, about disappointments, and about what people would change about the movie if given the opportunity, I'm interested to know the other side of this. Are there aspects of the movie that didn't disappoint you? Did you have certain expectations of failure that were [thankfully] not met?

For myself, I did as much as I could to avoid any information about the movie until its release; I didn't have any specific expectations (didn't watch the trailer until after watching the movie). However, on a more general level, I was delighted to see that they took a radically different approach to the animation; it is not like Equestria Girls where its quality is more or less the same as the show, its quality was definitely superior for the movie.

• Brohoof 2

Tempest Shadow was a character that going into the movie, I wasn't really feeling confident about, however I ended up being pleasantly surprised with her and ended up really enjoying her character.

• Brohoof 7

The songs, for the most part, were a lot better than I could have expected. Open Up Your Eyes in particular, is fantastic and one of my favorite songs from this show in general. Tempest herself was also better than I expected, minus her backstory.

• Brohoof 4

Other than CGI, the animation. Not only that, but the art style made cute poneh look more cute  :wub:. While cliche, specially in the 90s, I'm a sucker for movies of cute animals attempting to overcome a challenge that seems over their heads, with much darker characters as enemies. Scenes that made me connect emotionally, like the now legendary Pinks and Twi scene, when everyone thought Twi died in the storm, when they almost drowned, and seeing ponies in slavery. While I feel underwhelmed by most of the celebrity characters, Tempest is definitely one of best ponies, ever. The songs, specially Ponies got the Beat, Open Your Eyes, and Rainbow 

• Brohoof 3

I quite liked the art style and the music. The art style truly captured the feel of MLP and the music was great, with songs perfectly placed here and there. Capper's song and Tempest's song were two of my favorite songs throughout the entirety of MLP. (Also Sia being in the movie was cool)

The music was superb. Been listening to the soundtrack a bunch actually. I liked the new places and characters they introduced especially the Hippogriffs/ sea ponies. 

Tempest did not disappoint as a villain. I could go into detail as to why i loved her but... this says enough 

4f3.gif

• Brohoof 1

- The animation was GLORIOUS. 10/10. Highlights include: the windmill blades rolling through Klugetown, the pirate ship spreading its wings, and the animation and design of the Seapony Mane 6.

- Capper was amazing and I love him.

- The world building was fun, and it was interesting to see parts of the world outside of Equestria where life is far more harsh and the people are far more dangerous and untrustworthy.

EDIT: Oh, yeah and Tempest was scary awesome.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 5

I really wasn't disappointed by any facet of the film. Granted it was FAR from perfect, but I wasn't expecting perfect or ground-breaking cinema. I expected ponies on the big screen, and that's what I got.

But yeah; loved the animation & music. most of the new characters were great (with Tempest and Capper being standouts), and it was great seeing realms outside of Equestria. Just...love it. ^^

• Brohoof 3

1. Tempest Shadow. Need I say more? :P
  2. The 2D animation and set designs. Beautifully done and absolutely gorgeous.
  3. The songs. All of them are really good, but Open Up Your Eyes is queen here. :D
  • Brohoof 4

I love that it's just a fun little road trip to stop evil. Nothing ground-breaking. But I had fun with the characters and the settings they go through. Sure there were some disappointments, but to me the fun stuff is more important than complaining about the disappoints. Wouldn't some of you agree?

• Brohoof 1

The voice acting was absolutely top-notch and most of the celebrity voice talent brought on board did a fantastic job. I also enjoyed the villains though I will be different from everyone else here and say that the Storm King was more memorable than Tempest despite her having a much bigger impact on the fandom.

• Brohoof 1

Tempest Shadow.

I thought she was awesome from the moment I first saw her in the previews &

she's the only character besides Twilight Sparkle, who kept me entertained during the movie.

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

- Capper was amazing and I love him.

3 hours ago, PathfinderCS said:

But yeah; loved the animation & music. most of the new characters were great (with Tempest and Capper being standouts), and it was great seeing realms outside of Equestria. Just...love it. ^^

@ShadOBabe @PathfinderCS

Thank you for agreeing with me!

Obviously, I liked Capper. I also loved the animation style, 11/10. I thought the plot was good mostly. Basically, I got what I wanted. 

Edited by Capper
  • Brohoof 1

Without a doubt, the animation. The opening scene gave me goosebumps and it makes me wish I could actually fly like a pegasus.

Tempest Shadow was also a super interesting and very threatening character, as everybody has already mentioned, and I really want to see more of her! She was fantastic.

I can appreciate them for trying to move away from the mainstream and trying to make the movie fit for anyone, brony or not. So that's is a good start. 

• Brohoof 1

14 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

Tempest Shadow was a character that going into the movie, I wasn't really feeling confident about, however I ended up being pleasantly surprised with her and ended up really enjoying her character.

Agreed. Tempest was a really, REALLY solid character, and one that I'd enjoy seeing again.

Good design, great voice work, an incredible song and I found her child self to be adorable.

14 hours ago, Tsaritsa Luna said:

As there are many threads here about criticizing the movie, about disappointments, and about what people would change about the movie if given the opportunity, I'm interested to know the other side of this. Are there aspects of the movie that didn't disappoint you? Did you have certain expectations of failure that were [thankfully] not met?

For myself, I did as much as I could to avoid any information about the movie until its release; I didn't have any specific expectations (didn't watch the trailer until after watching the movie). However, on a more general level, I was delighted to see that they took a radically different approach to the animation; it is not like Equestria Girls where its quality is more or less the same as the show, its quality was definitely superior for the movie.

Honestly, I was pretty damned happy with the movie.
the Characterization felt good, I found the animation incredibly with lots of cute faces and mannerisms, I enjoyed the plot, and I REALLY enjoyed that they managed to make it feel like it was a mane six adventure where its not just a "twilight only" plot and the others are important and contribute.

Are there some problems? Sure, and I WAS dissapointed that this wasn't aimed at fans and felt toned down in action than the show (the storm beasts and storm king seem like the weakest villains so far, power wise), but Overall I was VERY happy and impressed.

The way Twilight proved that she could lead the group out of trouble and without the assistance of the other princesses, without her, I doubt any of the other members would've handled the journey and situation quite well especially Pinkie and Rainbow.

• Brohoof 2

• Tempest shadow. Definitely one of the best characters in the movie. Her backstory was well executed and she give a lot of intimating vibes that makes her truly a threat.
  • The animation was visually appealing and nice to look at 
  • The music was catchy and memorable. Not disney-quality, but nice to listen to and well executed

With those points, I'm satisfied when I watch the movie and didn't feel disappointed at all :P   

DAT RAINBOOM AHHHHHHHHH

Also most of everything else.

I'm not a hard man to please.

Notably, 'Open Up Your Eyes' was amazing, Twilight's emotional conflict was spiffily on-point, animation was intensely shinykewl, and introduced characters were very well-rendered in terms of personality and memorability. :D

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

1. Tempest is an amazing character despite being a bad OC design template.

2. I read the movie art book first and adore the hippogriff stuff, but Im happy that the "gate" to Seaquestria was the best deisgn that was featured in the book.

3. After 2 viewings, the animation is actually rather good, bit naff in place, i still hate how the mane 6's faces look, but the movements and expressions Twi and Tempest are stellar

Like everything.
I know that sounds fanboyish, but aside from gripes like Grubber and the pussification of most of the mane 6, I thought the movie felt like an epic ride comparable to what the show has done at it's best.

• Brohoof 1