Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

web Last chance to save Net Neutrality (ACT NOW!)

Nightfall Veilwing

46 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Nope. Net Neutrality needs to die.

Image result for why net neutrality is bad

There are ways to keep the internet open and free, but net neutrality was never it. 

Image result for ajit pai net neutrality

So, what's the difference between having and not having NN?:confused:
Seems like you're saying that there's little-to-no difference, and that NN is but a security blanket or something like that.

Lets just see what happens. I personall think both sides have a point.

and @Denim&Venom i do agree with you, but if the whole NN goes away and i start seeing "sorry, you cant go on youtube because you dont have the youtube package! Pay $5.99 to get the youtube package!" I will NOT be a happy pony.

Edited by Fennekin
  • Brohoof 2

34 minutes ago, Millennium Shadow said:

So, what's the difference between having and not having NN?:confused:
Seems like you're saying that there's little-to-no difference, and that NN is but a security blanket or something like that.

NN was never needed in the first place. The internet was fine in the year 2014 and prior. 

Keep NN, the ISPs stay in check, but big companies like Google, Amazon and Facebook pay the same as all other internet users. And when you're a multi-billion dollar media company that uses exorbitant amounts of data, that is a gigantic steal. In a system where everyone pays the same, only the rich get to profit. Also, the cost of entry is raised for start up ISPs. They now have to support the drastic infrastructure needed to support Youtube and Netflix, but can't profit off of it or adjust prices to fairly compete. So the big regional monopolies remain. Ultimately it's a bad idea cause government controlled economy practices rarely work. 

Scrap NN, and the big internet companies now have to pay fairly for their custom infrastructure too.  The ISPs can now offer options to customers. Money from customers can be used to improve internet experiences for those willing to pay, rather than distributing the same money for a substandard experience for all to enjoy. New ISPs can now start up and force the big regional monopolies to change their strategies. Competition can now foster growth. And not just int he world of providing internet, but also Google and Amazon can now be challenged, as start ups can now find a niche market and pay for what they need, instead of trying to pay to be on the same level as big google.

17 minutes ago, Fennekin said:

Lets just see what happens. I personall think both sides have a point.

and @Denim&Venom i do agree with you, but if the whole NN goes away and i start seeing "sorry, you cant go on youtube because you dont have the youtube package! Pay $5.99 to get the youtube package!" I will NOT be a happy pony.

If for example Comcast are the ones doing that, then it'll be say Verizon who will go "Sign on. Get Youtube free!"  The ISPs will have to watch what they're doing, for the opportunity exists to either gain or loose customers. 

Besides, they won't go that route. If you think this is causing an uproar, just wait for the firestorm that makes headlines when a universal service like Youtube gets locked behind a subscription wall. The negative publicity alone would shake investor confidence. Just look what happened when EA went a step too far in locking too much of their content behind monitization. 

Companies want to keep their customers. 

But most likely, little if anything, will change. 

Edited by Denim&Venom

I already contributed with the link and the petition. Let's hope for the best.

As for me, I don't know what scarier, the idea that I would have to pay extra just to keep my usual business and pleasure internet stuff or the fact that my wisdom tooth will need to be removed on January 16, 2018. Either way, I'm going to remain hopefully optimistic that things will sort themselves out.

• Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

NN was never needed in the first place. The internet was fine in the year 2014 and prior. 

Keep NN, the ISPs stay in check, but big companies like Google, Amazon and Facebook pay the same as all other internet users. And when you're a multi-billion dollar media company that uses exorbitant amounts of data, that is a gigantic steal. In a system where everyone pays the same, only the rich get to profit. Also, the cost of entry is raised for start up ISPs. They now have to support the drastic infrastructure needed to support Youtube and Netflix, but can't profit off of it or adjust prices to fairly compete. So the big regional monopolies remain. Ultimately it's a bad idea cause government controlled economy practices rarely work. 

Scrap NN, and the big internet companies now have to pay fairly for their custom infrastructure too.  The ISPs can now offer options to customers. Money from customers can be used to improve internet experiences for those willing to pay, rather than distributing the same money for a substandard experience for all to enjoy. New ISPs can now start up and force the big regional monopolies to change their strategies. Competition can now foster growth. And not just int he world of providing internet, but also Google and Amazon can now be challenged, as start ups can now find a niche market and pay for what they need, instead of trying to pay to be on the same level as big google.

If for example Comcast are the ones doing that, then it'll be say Verizon who will go "Sign on. Get Youtube free!"  The ISPs will have to watch what they're doing, for the opportunity exists to either gain or loose customers. 

Besides, they won't go that route. If you think this is causing an uproar, just wait for the firestorm that makes headlines when a universal service like Youtube gets locked behind a subscription wall. The negative publicity alone would shake investor confidence. Just look what happened when EA went a step too far in locking too much of their content behind monitization. 

Companies want to keep their customers. 

But most likely, little if anything, will change. 

I honestly hope to god you are right. However, ive been hewring a lot of nasty stuff involving comcast.

9 minutes ago, Millennium Shadow said:

I know the benefits have having NN, but what are the benefits of not having NN? :confused:

Err, being able to download and buy high quality po- I MEAN MUSIC, HIGH QUALITY MUSIC. ALL THE BANDS, ALL OF THEM

(Im just joking, no one take this seriously)

Yeah removing Internet neutrality will literally be the next step towards an imperialised society were everyone is living in poverty and in enslavement under the control of the world's richest people. That's a society we would seriously want to avoid at all costs and removing Internet neutrality would allow all the big ISPs to literally have quite a large level of control over society as they would literally have the government level power to censor out certain news programs that they don't want people to know about plus they could prioritise certain people and things in the media that they want to world to follow. Plus this would definitely effect the whole world as over 70% of all existing websites are based in the USA. :)

• Brohoof 3

8 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

I already contributed with the link and the petition. Let's hope for the best.

As for me, I don't know what scarier, the idea that I would have to pay extra just to keep my usual business and pleasure internet stuff, or the fact that my wisdom tooth will need to be removed on January 16, 2018. Either way, I'm going to remain hopefully optimistic that things will sort themselves out.

For the past 2 week, I've been praying (not in a religious manner) that net neutrality will survive and live. I'm still gonna have hope that that it does, even though that the final vote will be tomorrow. 

As for the wisdom tooth thing, I was under anesthesia for that. :P But earlier this year, one of my fillings fell out, and it had to be replaced. So, my dentist gave me something to numb the area. Yes, they had to inject (with a needle) it into my gums, but they first numbed the area with some gel. I only felt some slight pressure where the needle was, but, after that, I literally felt nothing! :love: The rest only took about 15 minutes. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Nope. Net Neutrality needs to die.

Dude, I don't think anyone is sure what will happen without Title II. Don't jump to conclusions. 

By the way, you guys should watch this. Don't skim anything, watch the full video.

12 hours ago, Techno Universal said:

Yeah removing Internet neutrality will literally be the next step towards an imperialised society were everyone is living in poverty and in enslavement under the control of the world's richest people. That's a society we would seriously want to avoid at all costs and removing Internet neutrality would allow all the big ISPs to literally have quite a large level of control over society as they would literally have the government level power to censor out certain news programs that they don't want people to know about plus they could prioritise certain people and things in the media that they want to world to follow. Plus this would definitely effect the whole world as over 70% of all existing websites are based in the USA. :)

If NN stays, then that very future will be guarenteed. Just swap ISPs for Web based companies like Google, amazon and facebook. They'll be the rich and powerful, as they only pay a fraction of what they should to support their data heavy infrastructure, leaving the rest of the cost to tax payers. Only the money doesn't go to improving the system. Just maintaining a substandard one. 

You're afraid of ISPs having government level control. You know who already has that type of influence under NN? The government. The FCC now controls the Web, and the media giants amazon and Google are in their ear. Now they get to censor and influence the Web. 

All while stifling competition w/ gov intervention. Like control economies have worked so well in the past.

2 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

If NN stays, then that very future will be guarenteed. Just swap ISPs for Web based companies like Google, amazon and facebook. They'll be the rich and powerful, as they only pay a fraction of what they should to support their data heavy infrastructure, leaving the rest of the cost to tax payers. Only the money doesn't go to improving the system. Just maintaining a substandard one. 

You're afraid of ISPs having government level control. You know who already has that type of influence under NN? The government. The FCC now controls the Web, and the media giants amazon and Google are in their ear. Now they get to censor and influence the Web. 

All while stifling competition w/ gov intervention. Like control economies have worked so well in the past.

You don't know that.

@Denim&Venom did you know broadband investment has gone up since the title 2 rules were put into place?

http://www.businessinsider.com/broadband-investment-up-after-new-net-neutrality-rules-2017-5

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/09/in-anti-net-neutrality-push-fcc-downplays-data-that-contradicts-narrative/?amp=1

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/05/title-ii-hasnt-hurt-network-investment-according-to-the-isps-themselves/

https://www.wired.com/story/the-fcc-says-net-neutrality-cripples-investment-thats-not-true/amp

Yeah, I guess your claim that net neutrality stifles competition is wrong, huh?

Seriously dude, back your claims up before making them. Please.

• Brohoof 3