Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How did you react to Twilicorn

Moonstarleader101

7 minutes ago, Celli said:

I didn't and still don't care. Especially since that was right after I got into the show.

I see this attitude a lot about fandom drama, newer people never seem to get why it’s a big deal to begin with. Which proves it really is just drama for the sake of drama. 

• Brohoof 3

Considering Magical Mystery Cure was the sixth episode I saw (after MMMystery, ACW, Just for Sidekicks, and Games Ponies Play and saw Equestria Girls immediately afterwords) when I took a chance with the show in the summer of 2013, I can firmly say I felt no reaction other than "cool the show is willing to change its characters." I'd have to say seeing Equestria Girls immediately afterwards was actually a really nice follow-up to Twilicorn having her react to the change and take charge of a challenge on her own. It definitely made me like her as a character and a princess. Still it probably wasn't ever going to feel to drastic as I didn't officially get into the show until mid Season 4 and didn't even get into the fandom until during the Season 4-5 hiatus where they were already content with Twilicorn thanks to Twilight's Kingdom.

• Brohoof 1

I thought the Princess celebration with the pomp and choir was incredible. Hear me out - you just don't see that kind of stuff, unless it's parody. It was counter-intuitive - here's this kid show acting like medieval England. I thought it was amazing.

'Behold, behold! Princess Twilight Sparkle!'

Yeah it's funny, and kinda unsettling, but so freaking bold! Awesome!

• Brohoof 2

That’s funny I just recently started rewatching old episodes and then when I went to season four for a second just like, a brief moment I thought “wtf twilight has wings that’s sooooo weird!” But that though passed, twilight will always be twilight no matter what, I love her 

Edited by Jade The Pegasister
Typo

I felt real excitement. I actually stood up while watching her transformation for the first time. It made me love my adorkable Twilight even more! I still feel like it's a natural part of her growth since learning the magic of friendship. I still get a little misty eyed when I rewatch "Magical Mystery Cure". I've watched it over many times, since it's one of my favorite episodes. It gets me every time, when Celestia BOWS to Twilight!

• Brohoof 2

Well, I've joined the fandom mere months back, and watched some of the most important episodes until then. But I was excited, never expected the cute, asocial, nerdy poneh would become a princess. It was pretty exciting because I used to see much of myself on her. When it happened, the excitement, later the more depressing "I Have to Find a Way" song, and the heartwarming A True True Friend (to the point of tears), and the coronation. I was left with a sense of melancholy at the end however, because I felt it was time to say goodbye to a show I loved more than ever, after so little time. Thankfully, the subsequent announcement of EG and S4 was news that my beloved cartoon horses weren't going anywhere yet (funny, now it feels like I've missed an insignificant fraction of the show :D )

• Brohoof 2

Under the influence on other people's opinion, I thought it was a bad thing. But having watched every episode up to Twilight's transformation a while back made me think otherwise. She absolutely deserved it and I love her as a princess. It just fits her and makes the whole thing complete.

• Brohoof 1

I used to be really active on the MLP Wiki, and when I first saw the pic (the one Denim&Venom posted), I thought it was fake since people were always posting fan-made images on that site. :wacko: 

I would have preferred for her to stay a unicorn but nowadays it doesn't bother me.

• Brohoof 1

I am in love with Twilicorn 😍😍😍 Twilight is best pony after all😋

10 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I felt real excitement. I actually stood up while watching her transformation for the first time. It made me love my adorkable Twilight even more! I still feel like it's a natural part of her growth since learning the magic of friendship. I still get a little misty eyed when I rewatch "Magical Mystery Cure". I've watched it over many times, since it's one of my favorite episodes. It gets me every time, when Celestia BOWS to Twilight!

yasss! Go TWILIGHT!!!

• Brohoof 1

47 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

I thought it was super freakin stupid. I got over it.

Honestly, I kind of like the idea these days, but I still think they rushed it.

That's something I have to agree. I loved the episode for what it did in my life, but objectively speaking: it was rushed, and had too much stuff in one single episode 

1 hour ago, Steve Piranha said:

That's something I have to agree. I loved the episode for what it did in my life, but objectively speaking: it was rushed, and had too much stuff in one single episode 

Not just the episode. I think they could have at least given Twilight another Season or two as a unicorn before her ascension.

• Brohoof 1

Alicorn Twilight... Bad, bad memories! I had just joined the fandom a year prior, and after the news started to break, I felt like it was already coming to an end.

You see, I had always thought the show was about the Mane 6 as equals. The shift in focus, to me, seemed jarring. It gave the impression that Twilight's friends were really just a stepping stool for becoming a princess.

If the show was to continue (which wasn't a sure thing at that point), it was definitely going to be different from the one I loved.

Now, there were certain criteria that needed to be met for me to accept the change. The thing is, those criteria weren't met until much later. As I like to say, Twilight may have become a princess in season 3, but she didn't earn it until the end of season 4 with "Twilight's Kingdom".

Season 5 started with Princess Twilight fulfilling a role that now made sense for her, and the transformation, at that point, definitely seemed justified.

So if you asked me now... "MontagnaMagica, do you approve of our pretty purple pony princess overlord?" I would have to say, "yes*".

*It just happened too soon in the series and "Magical Mystery Cure" was way too short for its own good.

• Brohoof 1

On 12/14/2017 at 1:10 PM, ShadOBabe said:

Not just the episode. I think they could have at least given Twilight another Season or two as a unicorn before her ascension.

I'm pretty sure they would have done that, if not where for the fiscal 65 episodes for cartoons or something. You see, it was originally meant for FiM to end with S3, but it's success allowed it to continue. The scrip for MMC, which was meant to be the series finale, was already done long before they thought ponies could continue beyond it's fiscal 65th episode

Edited by Steve Piranha
  • Brohoof 1

I was... very confused, to say the least. I remember that, when I first saw it, I thought there must be something else it was building up to. Twilight's declaration at the end that "everything was going to be just fine" just felt so on the nose, that I thought it was tempting fate or something. Mostly, I just had no idea where this came from. Got pretty angry when I realized that episode was supposed to stand on its own, because it all felt so rushed and arbitrary and unwarranted. Why does Twilight alone get to be a princess? Didn't the others do just as much? It never made sense to me. It still doesn't, and frankly, I was really unhappy with her depiction for a long while. Being a princess seemed like it was limiting the stories which could be told with her, and I found the things she struggled with significantly less relatable, especially because the writers have always been so hesitant to depict any downsides to her new status. She was better in season 7, though. 

• Brohoof 3

It was a very shocking moment for me what I saw the Season 3 finale and saw that they turned Twilight into an alicorn. While I was not nearly as upset at the idea of it as the fandom very loudly displayed after it, I was honestly very confused and curious overall about where they would take Twilight's development afterwards. With that particular season being shorter than the other two before it though, I was disappointed to think that maybe it would be the end of MLP:FiM. I am glad to say that it wasn't, obviously, but I have to agree that her development did feel like it chugged much slower now because of it and it wasn't as easy to relate to our purple equine hero.

Though, with time, it does appear to be getting better and it does feel like they are moving her in a direction that is satisfying and exciting to watch.

It wasn't a big deal for me, I'd already seen pictures of her with wings because I didn't start watching until season 5. I also binge-watched seasons 1-4 to catch up which meant I had only known twilight without the wings for about two weeks before she got it. I do remember thinking she looked odd because her neck got longer and her chest changed shape, her new alicorn base, and that bugged me a little bit for a while, way more than her having wings did, but then I got used to it.

Edited by Battenberg

It is my understanding that episode 65 Magical Mystery Cure was going to be the series finale. For that the only real complaint I've got is that it really should have been a 2 parter. Hasbro changed their mind at the last second & the show continued. IMO, it wasn't fair that Twilight ascended but none of the others did.

I thought it was cool to see her being given a destiny to be more than just a student. The controversy didn't made me change my minds about the idea and I was proud of Twilight. She definitely earned that tiltle.

• 4 years later...