Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is there an order to read the comics ?

Le Trotteur Sauvage

Well as the title says, I want to read the comics but I've seen that there are many of them in different collection, FIM, Friens Forever etc etc...

So is there a marticular order ? Are the stories in the continuation of the TV show ? A lot of question are poping in my head about this :D

The different series are separate. You should read them in order. For example, Twilight is not an alicorn in the early ones. Also, some of the stories come in multiple parts and it's not obvious from the cover. So if you randomly pick one you might pick the 2nd part of a story.

• Brohoof 1

@Trotteurliciously Sauvage

Just remember: The comics should be treated as separate canon. The comics can borrow from the show, but the showrunners do their best not to let the comics control the continuity and direction of the show. Heck, there will be a few comics that are universally hated that thank goodness the showrunners decided to override in the show.

I personally stopped buying and reading them as it was becoming impossible and impractical to wait 3-4 extra months just for the 4-issue volumes to come up on Amazon. I just wished every issue could be bought in digital form at a more inexpensive price. I mean the Pony of Legends issues, I got a hold of them for my smartphone for just a few dollars each instead of $7 each. Now if they could just applied that to all the previous issues.

• Brohoof 2

Most comics are rather standalone. Some of them may directly follow-up another previous comic arc, but they usually don't go beyond a mere mention just for the audience to keep-up. Regarding the show, the comics usually keep-up with the major changes as they are released

• Brohoof 2

I could give the sarcastic answer that's already been given, which is that there is an order: numerical, but I'm actually sensing that you're asking the actual reasonable question: where do the comics fit into the overall canon?  My response is that it's self-explanatory when you're reading them.  The first 12 issues and the Micro Series are pre-Twilicorn but issue 1 clearly takes place after the season 2 finale, so that gives you an idea as to where all those issues fit in.  Beyond that, there will be signs in the comics themselves that you can use to gauge where they fit in, such as Twilight having her wings, then her castle instead of her library, then Starlight starting to appear, although it took her long enough.  They're all individual stories and side stories at that, so it's not like you will be canon locked regardless, as long as you have a basic familiarity with the show and its progression.  I would still recommend checking out the comics in order though.

I think the comics are a great companion to the show and well worth checking out.  Sure there are a few duds, but not every episode of the show is the greatest so my philosophy is c'est la vie.  When the comics are at their best, I think they're up there with some of the best episodes.  When they're at their worst, well...again, there are episodes I'm less fond of too, so I can cut them some slack...I mean the comics as a whole, not those particular issues/arcs as I'll rip into them.

• Brohoof 1