Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How long did it take you to feel at ease during your first con?

ggg-2

While I have yet to visit an MLP convention, I have been to many anime conventions. The entire convention structure remains the same, regardless of its audience. I felt a bit awkward at my first convention but became totally comfortable after that point. It always helps to go with friends!

I guess once I finally got out of line with my family for my first Star Trek convention way back when over. Heck, didn't even know ti was a convention at the time. To me, we were just driving around in Vegas and "Oh hey, we're doing soemthign Star trek related!"

Oh wait. We're talking pony conventions aren't we? Well not very long. I was already a veteran of many an Anime convention by the time Bronycon 2013 rolled around. After a long road trip, I was very excited. Just the whole atmosphere, the experience up to that point were just so surreal. 

I've been to lots of different cons, as a general con-goer as well as a merchant, and as a performer. And honestly, I never really feel at ease. I get tired very quickly when I'm around a lot of people, and I suffer from stage fright (which I can ignore once I'm on stage, but taking that first step out there is always a struggle). It's just something I have to deal with. It's never going to go away, and I'm not going to give in to it and stay cooped up at home all the time.

• Brohoof 2

I'm an extrovert, so I may not be a good example here. But the first con I went to, I was feeling comfortable within the first hour of arriving the day before events began, and was already engaging in conversation by the following morning. Didn't seem to really bother me, though I was leery of certain con-goers – usually the ones too eager to start (and continue) in rambling conversation, and those who seemed interested in making money outside the merchant hall.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

cant say I remember ever feeling nervous at a con. Ive been to so many in general its just a normal thing.

I suppose the only nerves I ever got were singing in front of strangers and the first few hours of nervously smiling and greeting people at my table not knowing if they like my art or not. Im pretty conifdent in person now though. Heck I want to be performing.

• Brohoof 1

I went to only one con in my life (NYC ponycon 2016) and felt uncomfortable the whole time. The only time I felt in my element was in Inrid Nelson's yoga class, voice actor training seminars and the interviews of the voice actors...which is why I went to begin with. In fact, even joining this site was originally to find YouTube VA opportunities. I'm an alumni of an acting school run by David Mamet and William H. Macy with an unsetellar professional acting career 

Needless to say I loved the hell out of it and it helped cement my love for this bronidom.

• Brohoof 2

Like @Fhaolan I've been to my share on other conventions before becoming a Brony. My first MLP convention was Babscon in April 2015. I was rooming with three fellow MLPF staffers and working a con table with several others, so I had the luxury of familiarity with others before even showing up. Outside of an awkward moment where I met up with two people and realized I didn't know who was who ... I didn't feel uncomfortable at all.

The following year was a different story, but that was because I had my two teenage kids with me. Dad nerves! XD

• Brohoof 3

I attended two conventions, and never felt uncomfortable at all. I thought I fit in quite well with everyone else, even though I never cosplayed.