Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

sports Who does/has done Karate or any Martial Art.

BrawnyCharger

I was thinking back to my days as a kid when I took karate classes at the local mall. I was influenced to do it by my being a fan of Power Rangers and Street Fighter. I really had fun with it and made it to blue belt. The school was very well structured, and the instructors were very good. It had classes based on belt level. I didn't partake in the tournaments. I did it just for fun. Although I never made it to black belt, I'm pretty proud of how I did there. 

Have you ever taken karate or any other martial arts? If so, what were some of your experiences doing it?

• Brohoof 2

I had made it to Blue Belt in Taekwondo, went to a couple tournaments and found they were not at all something I really liked to attend, the class was fun and overall alright (forms were a bit weirdly taught sometimes, but I was sparring vs. adults which was cool) Overall it was a good experience except it was like 50$ a month

I was taught a hodgepodge of different self-defense moves from different disciplines, but never anything structured like specific martial arts. I would like to learn it and probably will in the near future. 

I did Karate from age 7-11 and got up to Blue belt in rank. I then switched to Tae-Kwon-Do and did that for 6 years. Me and my 2 brothers all received our 2nd degree black belts before quitting back in 2012.

So in total, I did martial arts for about 10 years. I learned great life lessons that I still implement to this day. 

My brother took karate when he was younger, but he was dissatisfied because he was the oldest, and he felt he wasn't learning anything. I've wanted to partake in one martial art a year after pony, an made it into a life project, and joined in a jiu jitsu about three months ago

• 5 months later...

Took a year or two of Tae Kwon Do, cause my parents wanted us to do a sport. Wasn't all that into it as a kid. I just wanted to go home after a school day, not stay after, run laps and practice fighting techniques. Managed to get to orange belt, before parents took us out when we moved. Grandma also enrolled us in a few karate classes, which basically was the same thing. 

Wouldn't mind making a more serious go at it presently. Though i'd try something more practical, like Aikido, Bujinkan, or Krav Maga. 

I do and have been doing for over a decade! (I'm 18, so i started around age 7 I think?) 

I joined in order to learn how to defend myself and I am now 2nd Dan Blackbelt :)

25 minutes ago, Steel Accord said:

My base style is Kenpo Karate but I've been branching into Kung Fu as well. My experience has been more than positive, the study of the martial arts feels outright affirming for me.

My base style Is Shukoki but I'm branching into a Korean Martial Art called Tang Su Do, I always wanted to try Kung Fu, Whats it like? 

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, AJ2489 said:

My base style Is Shukoki but I'm branching into a Korean Martial Art called Tang Su Do, I always wanted to try Kung Fu, Whats it like? 

HEY! I also did Tang Su Do but I was like eight or something so I don't really count it. Well what are you asking exactly? What's the atmosphere? The techniques?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I did some karate when I was younger and then learned some Wing Chun online when I got older. That's pretty much all the martial arts I've done. Oh wait, I'm also starting Taekwondo this year.

Edited by Sondash Studios

2 minutes ago, Steel Accord said:

HEY! I also did Tang Su Do but I was like eight or something so I don't really count it. Well what are you asking exactly? What's the atmosphere? The techniques?

The techniques, Shukoki is very light on your feet, more for speed and technique rather than power ya know? 

On 6/14/2018 at 4:14 PM, AJ2489 said:

The techniques, Shukoki is very light on your feet, more for speed and technique rather than power ya know? 

(Sorry for the late reply.)

Keep in mind, "Kung Fu" is an umbrella term that covers a wide variety of different schools and styles. Broadly speaking there is Northern style and Southern style. My own Wah Lum technique draws its lineage from Northern Praying Mantis, for instance. (And again, neither are unified in technique or philosophy.) Northern style tends to favor kicks, quick stance transitions, and acrobatics. Southern style is more rooted, favoring close combat and hard strikes. If you watch Avatar at all, a good delineation is that fire and airbending have more in common with northern style while earth and water bending have more in common with southern.

• Brohoof 1

I used to do kickboxing from 2010-2013 and in the end, I got a black belt in it :twi:

Sadly I remember getting quite bored of doing kickboxing eventually, I just didn't want to do it anymore but I kept going since I wanted to.. impress my Dad who I knew would of been upset if I just stopped. I of course did eventually stop though after I got my black belt which I think was a great place to stop.

• Brohoof 1

I did, when I was 11.  My dad was active in it at the time and signed me up.  I didn't have the discipline or the desire to really get good at it and I eventually viewed it as a chore until I  dropped it about a year later.

On 6/17/2018 at 6:17 PM, Longhaul said:

I did, when I was 11.  My dad was active in it at the time and signed me up.  I didn't have the discipline or the desire to really get good at it and I eventually viewed it as a chore until I  dropped it about a year later.

Why is that exactly? Why was it a chore and why did you lack the discipline?

I ask because my practice is a passion of mine I could never grow bored of so I’d like to see the other side of that coin.