Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Forums App

SoberStarlight

I'm not sure if this has been posted before (it probably has) but I was thinking, I log in to the forums from my phone a lot, and it is for the most part fine, but what if there was an MLP Forums app on the app store and google play store? That would be so awesome! it would run smoothly for logging in purposes, and it could even send notifications to my phone! I don't know how to go about making the forums into an app, but if someone out there knows how to, then please, talk to an admin, and make it happen! Thoughts?

• Brohoof 4

Yeah, I feel like an MLP Forums app for the Google Play Store, App Store and perhaps even the Microsoft Windows Store would be a very good idea, I'd definitely download it for all my mobile devices...

Though, I'm not quite sure how the app could work with the Invision Power Boards software, I feel like that could be a problem, but, maybe not. Who knows what kind of wizardry the admins are capable of?

• Brohoof 2

I'm going to just quote myself here, since this is a request that pops up often enough.

On 11/3/2017 at 0:45 PM, Jeric said:

There is no mobile application. Creating an application based around an IPS created platform is not only challenging and possibly a waste of time (you only have a few active third party offerings, none good  ... and there is a reason for that), but there is a financial consequence that this site likely could not afford. When you have a site that is financially driven by ad revenue creating a mobile app is the worst solution out there. Equestria Daily found that out the hard way. Ad revenue fell off a cliff when their mobile app became popular. Add dwindling traffic and Google screwing with the metrics for AdSense in to the equation ... bad idea. 

Also, creating multiple new platforms that need to be maintained is never a smart idea when your organization is volunteer driven unless you have a deep well of development resources. 

This site is also run by several talented CS Students and Professionals. I believe the best use of their time would be to identify how they could make the site even more mobile friendly instead. 

That said, if you are talented in web development, perhaps talk to @tinker or @Feld0 to see if there is a fit for you on the team. 

Personally, a mobile app for Pony.FM and Equestria.TV would be far more useful and value added. 

• Brohoof 7

• 2 months later...
(edited)
On 12/19/2017 at 8:03 AM, Jeric said:

I'm going to just quote myself here, since this is a request that pops up often enough.

Sadly I have to agree here. Apps are only useful if you're NOT looking for ad support. Apps are more towards that UX and providing content that isn't supported by third-parties. The only way it could work is to charge a high price ($4.99) for the app and put all the revenue towards supporting said content shown in the app. Still won't be able to match Google Adsense revenue tbh.

Then again, adBlock, adBlock Plus, and uBlock have almost 60 million users combined across the top 3 web browsers...

Edited by Shabb3r
  • Brohoof 2

13 hours ago, Shabb3r said:

l if you're NOT looking for ad support. Apps are more towards that UX and providing content that isn't supported by third-parties. The only way it could work is to charge a high price ($4.99) for the app and put all the revenue towards supporting said content shown in the app. Still won't be able to match Google Adsense revenue tbh.

Is the revenue from ads that run inside the app that much worse when compared to the ads that run on the website?

6 hours ago, Y'ffre the Singer said:

Is the revenue from ads that run inside the app that much worse when compared to the ads that run on the website?

Yes. Not only is there generally a revenue difference, there is a dramatic UX difference between ad supported mobile applications and a website with AdSense. 

• Brohoof 1