Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Do you like Christmas music?

Barpy

Just a thought I got, since we bronies like the happy music from the show, how do you like the Christmas music that's all around us in December? I personally like it, at least in December the world around us is more positive than in other months :pinkiecutehat: But I know a lot of people that hate it (bronies)

• Brohoof 6

I love Christmas music, personally, although I can see how it would be annoying to people who don't celebrate it. I think some people also just have less tolerance for repeating songs (which Christmas music does quite a bit).

• Brohoof 5

I don't mind it. I'm generally not very happy around this time of year so I don't really listen to it. I'm trying to make an effort to get back into the Christmas cheer this year though so I've had the Christmas radio station on in my car and I've been enjoying it a fair amount

• Brohoof 3

Oh yeah totally. Gets me into the spirit of the holiday. I do like certain songs more than others. Jingle bells is overly simple and kind of annoying, for instance. Whereas “What Child is this?” can drive me to tears it’s so beautiful.

• Brohoof 3

no:scoots:no no no...well not anymore but after my sister kept play "all i want for Christmas is you" for 6 hours straight in her room with the volume all the way up.....well you can guess why i hate that now.

• Brohoof 2

I am okay with most of them, though Jingle Bells is the most overdone holiday song and that one gets on my nerves. The rest are fine though. One in particular that I especially love, even though it is not exactly a classical song, is Very First Christmas from the first Spongebob Christmas Special. Above all others, that song always gets me in the holiday mood. :3

• Brohoof 5

Christmas music annoys the hell out of me as it's overplayed to death. Sure, there are some great Christmas songs out there, Wham's Last Christmas can be listened to any time of year, Fairytale In New York is fun, Reuben's Christmas Is Awesome is the best metal/Christmas mash-up ever while The Nostalgia Critic's I F**king Love Christmas is arguably the best of the bunch.

However, the fact that we start hearing the stuff longer than the 'season' is on for really irritates me... there should be a law in place that if it's not December, songs of their ilk shouldn't be played at all; at least on public broadcast systems anyway.

Edited by Vocal Analyst
  • Brohoof 2

No, I don't like Christmas music very much at all. The songs are too overplayed and I feel like I can't go outside of my house without hearing them :dry:. And a lot of them are really annoying.

That being said I like some instrumental versions, and I can enjoy Christmas songs in other languages too... since if I can't understand them I won't know that they're about Christmas :lol: 

• Brohoof 4

8 minutes ago, SparklingSwirls said:

No, I don't like Christmas music very much at all. The songs are too overplayed and I feel like I can't go outside of my house without hearing them :dry:. And a lot of them are really annoying.

That being said I like some instrumental versions, and I can enjoy Christmas songs in other languages too... since if I can't understand them I won't know that they're about Christmas :lol: 

The snow is falling, all around me... :P

• Brohoof 4

I used to love all Christmas music when I was a kid. However, in recent years I find some of the songs irritating. Most certainly not all of them, though. I especially love the old Christian carols like O Come O Come Emmanuel and the like. A number of them use melodies originating from Early Music, and they're just gorgeous either way. They're much more interesting than contemporary Christian music.

I do like some secular Christmas music, too, but it's probably mainly because brings me back to my childhood.

13 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

No. No I don't. Not in the least. 

Let me make it perfectly clear as to why:

Work retail during holidays hate christmas music forever | Retail Robin

Working retail did not have this effect on me.

Considering I worked somewhere where in the end they had a limited playlist they played of the same songs over and over again every single night, I actually became much more irritated with the music they played outside of Christmas season, which was usually a mix of country and the worst hits from today, the 80s, and 90s. When Christmas season came around they were forced to actually play something different and it was refreshing (although some of the particular covers they chose were abysmal, I kind of expected that given the music they choose the rest of the year is so terrible).

Christmas music is only forced on retail workers for a short period of time. The rest is forced on retail workers the rest of the year. So I never understood this hatred. Working in retail made me more irritated with country music and some pop from the 80s/90s/00s/10s, but didn't really effect my opinion of Christmas music.

• Brohoof 2

43 minutes ago, Envy said:

I used to love all Christmas music when I was a kid. However, in recent years I find some of the songs irritating. Most certainly not all of them, though. I especially love the old Christian carols like O Come O Come Emmanuel and the like. A number of them use melodies originating from Early Music, and they're just gorgeous either way. They're much more interesting than contemporary Christian music.

I do like some secular Christmas music, too, but it's probably mainly because brings me back to my childhood.

Working retail did not have this effect on me.

Considering I worked somewhere where in the end they had a limited playlist they played of the same songs over and over again every single night, I actually became much more irritated with the music they played outside of Christmas season, which was usually a mix of country and the worst hits from today, the 80s, and 90s. When Christmas season came around they were forced to actually play something different and it was refreshing (although some of the particular covers they chose were abysmal, I kind of expected that given the music they choose the rest of the year is so terrible).

Christmas music is only forced on retail workers for a short period of time. The rest is forced on retail workers the rest of the year. So I never understood this hatred. Working in retail made me more irritated with country music and some pop from the 80s/90s/00s/10s, but didn't really effect my opinion of Christmas music.

Oh don't get me wrong. I despised the regular set list too. But that had more variety than the seasonal one that lasted from thanksgiving to christmas eve. As you said, it was filled w/ terrible covers. Play silent night. Play cover of silent night. Play rerecording of silient night. Play jingle bells. Play live version of jingle bells. Play old timey recording of jingle bells. Re-play all I want for Christmas. 

Not like I was the biggest fan to begin with. Seasonal music is rather simplistic, unengaging and safe. Not very energetic. Lacking clever or thought provoking lyrics. You get very little deviation or innovation when it comes to yule tide listening, and the inner music critic in me cannot take any of it seriously. 

Unless you're TSO. Then you get a pass.

• Brohoof 1