Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

We upgraded the forums! And broke things!

DDR

Hello, everyone! We've just upgraded the forums to the latest and greatest version of IP.Board. This update has fixed several security issues, which we wanted; it has also introduced some new features, which we didn't want. For example, our likes system seems to have been replaced with some sort of reaction system, which we don't want either. :sunny: We also need to fix our theme now.

We hope to get it all sorted out quickly. If you notice anything broken, please let us know below.

Thank you!

• Brohoof 28

I can't seem to view replies to status updates or reply to them myself like usual. I'm usually able to do both just fine from the New Status Updates page, but now doing either takes me to the status on the user's page.

• Brohoof 2

@DDR 

You guys may not want the reaction system .... but ... this was discussed in Feedback a little over six months ago ... and there was some positive feedback about it. 

I would like to keep the system and tweak the images and names to something maybe pony like. 

I also like the theme. 

• Brohoof 5

27 minutes ago, PinkiePie97 said:

I can't seem to view replies to status updates or reply to them myself like usual. I'm usually able to do both just fine from the New Status Updates page, but now doing either takes me to the status on the user's page.

:okiedokieloki: That is… troublesome. Very troublesome.

23 minutes ago, Nature Tune said:

I can’t paste anything. How woukd I post a video? 🤔🤔

That absolutely shouldn't be. What browser are you using? What field are you trying to paste things in to?

----------------

Also, just a heads-up, but I'm going to update all our addons now because updated things are nice and hopefully not broken.

• Brohoof 3

3 minutes ago, DDR said:

That absolutely shouldn't be. What browser are you using? What field are you trying to paste things in to?

----------------

Also, just a heads-up, but I'm going to update all our addons now because updated things are nice and hopefully not broken.

Im on safari , and im trying to paste a video on my status update. I used to be able to but now not.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Mirage said:

@Nature Tune Have you tried logging out, then logging back in? I can embed a video on my profile, but that was after I logged out cuz things were wonky.

Ill try. One second

edit: i just tried that, it doesnt work

Edited by Nature Tune

32 minutes ago, Nature Tune said:

Im on safari , and im trying to paste a video on my status update. I used to be able to but now not.

Strange. I'm on Safari as well and I don't have that issue.

54 minutes ago, DDR said:

That seems to be fixed now.

@Nature Tune Could up attach the video? I'll try it here.

-----

4 minutes ago, PinkiePie97 said:

That seems to be fixed now.

Yay! I'm glad to hear it's working, because I had absolutely no idea how to fix that one. :muffins:

• Brohoof 1

I still can't code my formatting the old fashioned way. Will this ever be a thing?

Character pages still broken. Is this even being worked on?

Vertically the amount of posts and when it was posted is squashed together on the mobile site.

I can't hoof on mobile, only see who added hooves.

New rep system is ok but I would recommend taking out any negative options. Negative reactions make people feel sad

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 2

And here I thought my browser exploded. :muffins: Any major changes, other than improved security?

Also, I like the new (or rather, old) theme and the new brohooves. I think it would be neat if we kept the new reaction system, but tweaked it with ponified options.

@Lektra Bolt I don't think I was around back then; I don't know the formatting style you're thinking of. If it's gone, I doubt it's coming back - we're largely at the whims of IP.Board for that sort of thing, and I haven't heard of news around that. Sorry.

14 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Character pages still broken. Is this even being worked on?

It can be, now that we're back on a proper update track. :) I don't know what character pages are - I'm kind of new here, and my predecessor didn't leave very many notes I've been able to find.

@VengefulStrudel Nothing too big. Some minor bugs should be fixed.

The reaction system is getting a pony theme, and will be back. (tbh we assumed it would be off by default, and it enabling itself sort of took us by surprise.)

23 minutes ago, DDR said:

@Lektra Bolt I don't think I was around back then; I don't know the formatting style you're thinking of. If it's gone, I doubt it's coming back - we're largely at the whims of IP.Board for that sort of thing, and I haven't heard of news around that. Sorry.

It can be, now that we're back on a proper update track. :) I don't know what character pages are - I'm kind of new here, and my predecessor didn't leave very many notes I've been able to find.

Heya DDR, the formatting Lektra is referring to is allowing BBCodes in the text reply box, I think. It was a popular item back then because the WYSIWYG editor that existed then was rather buggy and had some weird ideas on how it works. IP.B took that away when they replaced the entire reply system so it was consistent between posts, status, and blogs. I don't think we can put those back without replacing IP.B's editor. :(

And the character pages are the various RP-related things, the two Character Databases and the Lore Articles. The format for both of them kinda exploded during the last upgrade, Lavo started to fix the regular Character sheets, but didn't get them completely working before he left.

34 minutes ago, DDR said:

@VengefulStrudel Nothing too big. Some minor bugs should be fixed.

The reaction system is getting a pony theme, and will be back. (tbh we assumed it would be off by default, and it enabling itself sort of took us by surprise.)

I mean using BB Code to do formating instead of using the controls. I was used to it before the upgrade. Will raw code ever work?

Not sure what character pages are? Please heck out the links to my character for RP on the forum. All the forum html is visible and doesn't activate. It can only be seen as it's supposed to look when in edit mode but then breaks. You can fix this? :)

Edit: Yes as what was said by Fhao

@Fhaolan sorry I can't hoof you on mobile until that function is put back

Edited by Lektra Bolt

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

@DDR 

You guys may not want the reaction system .... but ... this was discussed in Feedback a little over six months ago ... and there was some positive feedback about it. 

I would like to keep the system and tweak the images and names to something maybe pony like. 

I also like the theme. 

i respectfully disagree. A post doesnt need a reaction system. It will just invite more room for people to spam troll frown reactions and frankly, i dont see a need to why a post needs 12 different emotions. The brohoof system worked out just fine.

• Brohoof 3

5 minutes ago, Fhaolan said:

Heya DDR, the formatting Lektra is referring to is allowing BBCodes in the text reply box, I think. It was a popular item back then because the WYSIWYG editor that existed then was rather buggy and had some weird ideas on how it works. IP.B took that away when they replaced the entire reply system so it was consistent between posts, status, and blogs. I don't think we can put those back without replacing IP.B's editor. :(

And the character pages are the various RP-related things, the two Character Databases and the Lore Articles. The format for both of them kinda exploded during the last upgrade, Lavo started to fix the regular Character sheets, but didn't get them completely working before he left.

Ah. Thank you. Yes, that makes sense.

7 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

You can fix this? :)

Honestly? Maybe. 😬 I'm not that familiar with the forum software yet, but we'll see what can be done.

8 minutes ago, Fennekin said:

i respectfully disagree. A post doesnt need a reaction system. It will just invite more room for people to spam troll frown reactions and frankly, i dont see a need to why a post needs 12 different emotions. The brohoof system worked out just fine.

You raise some good points. Thank you.

One solution to the frown reactions problem we were considering was to simply remove the negative reactions entirely. It is a blunt yet effective approach, don't you think? ^_^

-----

Anyway, I'm going to have to get some rest now. Catch y'all later!

• Brohoof 2

4 minutes ago, DDR said:

Ah. Thank you. Yes, that makes sense.

Honestly? Maybe. 😬 I'm not that familiar with the forum software yet, but we'll see what can be done.

You raise some good points. Thank you.

One solution to the frown reactions problem we were considering was to simply remove the negative reactions entirely. It is a blunt yet effective approach, don't you think? ^_^

-----

Anyway, I'm going to have to get some rest now. Catch y'all later!

How about we just make it back to only brohoofs?

the system worked perfectly fine when it was in place, i dont see any reason to change the formula.

• Brohoof 3

@DDR I mentioned this in a status update reply but I'm not a fan of the frown reactions either. I don't think I would want to see people frowning at my posts or at others' posts, especially if the frowner doesn't give a reason for why they don't like the post. I can easily see people getting upset at having their posts frowned.

It would be a good idea to get some more members of the community to weigh in on this though.

Edited by SparklingSwirls
  • Brohoof 6

The reaction thing is invisible atm for some reason, and due me not memorizing its exact position, it takes few seconds of moving my mouse around to find it. Just a minor nitpick. 

And though I think the whole adding reactions is rather unnecessary, if it's gonna stay, it would nice for notifications to difference between them because seeing "This user reacted to a post" is just...disappointing, it makes this place lose the...ponyness a little. 

• Brohoof 10

How exactly do I react to something? I don’t see a button anywhere that gives me the reaction button, at least with replies. I think I was able to do it with status updates.

• Brohoof 3

Just now, WWolf said:

How exactly do I react to something? I don’t see a button anywhere that gives me the reaction button, at least with replies. I think I was able to do it with status updates.

On the bottom right of the post.

But yeah I agree that it should be made more visible, especially for new users.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, SparklingSwirls said:

But yeah I agree that it should be made more visible, especially for new users.

Absolutely, it's kind of inconvenient not to be able to see it. Also a few of the reaction images seem to be broken, at least for me. :ooh: