Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

We upgraded the forums! And broke things!

DDR

It may be somewhat annoying or confusing now because (I'm assuming that) only brohoofs count towards reputation. This may disappoint some people when they have people react, but it isn't a brohoof. Personally I don't mind the new reaction system. I think its better, but I understand why people have issues with it.

• Brohoof 2

That's what can happen when you make an upgrade. Some things get better, other things get worse, and some things don't even change. I'll admit that I was taken by surprise when I first noticed what had been changed but I think I can get used to it. But, I do understand where people are coming from with regards to both sides of the problem.

• Brohoof 2

I am pleased to see reaction options that aren't labeled "Brohoof". I hope we keep non-Brohoof options around, so I can actually react to people's posts for the first time in years. Although, I would like clarification as to what some of these reacts are supposed to mean, as they can be too vague, and can be taken as attacking people's posts when that's not their intention.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Jeric said:

I think the frown descriptor might be changable to something more empathy driven, the sad face is still salvageable, especially useful if someone posts something rather poignant or sad. 

Fair enough. I’m glad we at least don’t have an angry face, like they do on Facebook.

• Brohoof 3

As far as I've thought about the implementation I'm a bit nervous about attaching more numbers to the system as I've watched brigading happen on reddit far too often. So I'm hesitant to let the new ones have any meaning beyond positive/neutral. Hence why the 'worst' is just a frown, and I've put that in just in so that there's a valid response in case someone posts something legitimately sad, or something that'd feel downright awkard having a smileyface attached to it. I'm hoping what I have added so far is used in the right light as I'm giving the community a chance to prove we're good people :D 

• Brohoof 7

3 minutes ago, LadyMercury said:

I'm giving the community a chance to prove we're good people

An optimist after one's own heart! Yo you aren't allowed to go anywhere M'lady. 

• Brohoof 4

I'm also not a fan of the list of reactions. I agree with the previous concerns that the reactions can be confusing and frustrating. To give perhaps the most obvious example, if someone reacts "Teacup" to a post, what is that supposed to communicate to the poster, or to other readers? Is it just wacky and random, with no further meaning? If so, I'm also not really a fan of adding wackiness and randomness just for the sake of it.

Furthermore, I would rather the forums focus on encouraging discussion and explanation among members. And I would be concerned that having an expanding list of wordless reactions will result in more cases of people just clicking a reaction and doing nothing else - potentially leading to the above-mentioned confusion or frustration when engaging posters in a back-and-forth process could, in many cases, be more informative and prevent misunderstandings.

• Brohoof 6

42 minutes ago, Music Chart Fan said:

Is it just wacky and random, with no further meaning?

Yep, that's the purpose. Just like the scene in the show it came from. At the end of the day this is a My Little Pony fan forum, and it should embrace the occasional whimsical elements. It's also why I'm a proponent of the Awards system. 

As far as cultivating more engagement -- check my post count and my brohoof count. The sheer volume of users here that react to my posts with the old system far outnumbers their post response engagement. I would never assume that their interaction was somehow less than adequate. There are many ways to engage others on MLP, and not everyone here is conferrable in engaging in discussion. 

The best way to increase textual engagement is something the staff can't do through software modifications. Fear not, because while they lack the power, you can weird it yourself ... and so can I. Create threads. Contribute more in posts. Create new interesting topics. You are one of the more seasoned and interesting members here. 

If creating a great conversation topic is a big concern, turn them wheels!

• Brohoof 2

As it is, I've fixed the CSS preventing us from seeing the brohoof image, for some reason it was filtered out with a grayscale and over saturation. That's been dealt with so please continue to bring us your issues!

• Brohoof 5

5 hours ago, LadyMercury said:

As it is, I've fixed the CSS preventing us from seeing the brohoof image, for some reason it was filtered out with a grayscale and over saturation. That's been dealt with so please continue to bring us your issues!

So all reactions should give rep now and everything reaction related works on mobile too? Not on mobile right now sorry

Are the the issues in the screenshot fixed? This is how I saw it before.

Screenshot_20171221-135953.jpg

What's wrong?

1. Below the person's Role (SparklingSwirls is a User like me for example) in non-horizontal mode (not sideways mode) the post count smushes with the date. This didn't used to happen before the upgrade

2. As of that posting, Teacup and Yay were broken images on mobile mode

No, I've already made it clear that brohoofs will be the only ones actually counting towards the reputation count going up. We weren't actually intending to implement this feature but IPS was kind enough to introduce it in this patch so I figured I might as well give the community some more icons to play around with in the meantime. 

As for the issues you've listed, the missing icons should be fixed, that was a CDN issue so it could be cached incorrectly in your browser so clearing your cache might help. 

I'll look into the post count colliding with the post date, it shouldn't be that hard of a fix. 

Thank you everyone for bringing forward some of the issues, it's been very helpful in getting us through this upgrade :D 

• Brohoof 5

When I scroll through the unread posts, the content of the post doesn’t cut off at a certain point like it did before. I didn’t mind that at first, but I just scrolled past a pretty long one. Would it be possible to fix this?

1 hour ago, LadyMercury said:

No, I've already made it clear that brohoofs will be the only ones actually counting towards the reputation count going up.

Since the list of reactions is apparently staying for the time being, then I'm glad for this, at least. If the non-brohoof reactions are just supposed to be whimsical/wacky/random, then I think it makes sense for brohoofs to remain as (and to be incentivized as) the strongest signal of agreement, with the most long-term impact.

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, LadyMercury said:

No, I've already made it clear that brohoofs will be the only ones actually counting towards the reputation count going up. 

If that's the case, then I'm sure members would like to know when their reputation count is going up vs when someone is just using a "wacky" reaction. Any chance the "So-and-so brohoofed a post" could be brought back for when people give brohoofs?

Plus, as Cerberus said, it makes the place feel more pony-like :) 

• Brohoof 3

Just now, SparkliciousSwirls said:

If that's the case, then I'm sure members would like to know when their reputation count is going up vs when someone is just using a "wacky" reaction. Any chance the "So-and-so brohoofed a post" could be brought back for when people give brohoofs?

Plus, as Cerberus said, it makes the place feel more pony-like :) 

Unfortunately I don't think so, since it's now the reactions module, and anytime anyone 'reacted' it'd just tell you that they brohoofed you, which isn't exactly true.

I did just check the configuration for the module, and it does not allow for each reaction to have specific notification verbage unfortunately. 

• Brohoof 4

2 minutes ago, LadyMercury said:

Unfortunately I don't think so, since it's now the reactions module, and anytime anyone 'reacted' it'd just tell you that they brohoofed you, which isn't exactly true.

That's a bit of a bummer but I understand.

• Brohoof 2

Sadly I am admittedly not a fan of the changes that have been made to the forums recently. I can commend them for attempting to improve things and to keep the site fresh, but it did more harm than it did good in my opinion. It's only that all of these new "react" features are a somewhat deterrent from giving people brohoofs, but none of the other reactions actually do or mean anything in the long-run. It feels like an idea that has potential, but that potential was never realized and the feature feels somewhat only half-finished as a result.

I don't want to come across as ungrateful, and I realize that quite a lot of work and effort must go into whatever alterations are made to the forums, but it honestly seems to me like whoever is in charge of this area jumped the gun slightly and broke something that was never broken to begin with.

• Brohoof 3

2 minutes ago, Rarity the Supreme said:

Sadly I am admittedly not a fan of the changes that have been made to the forums recently. I can commend them for attempting to improve things and to keep the site fresh, but it did more harm than it did good in my opinion. It's only that all of these new "react" features are a somewhat deterrent from giving people brohoofs, but none of the other reactions actually do or mean anything in the long-run. It feels like an idea that has potential, but that potential was never realized and the feature feels somewhat only half-finished as a result.

Thank IPS, not us :please:

We were not prepared for this and the only reason it's been enabled is to provide something a bit more than what we had to play around with. More changes will come in the future as we figure out what we want to do with the feature and how it effects user engagement. 

To clarify, we were not the ones to make the new reactions system, this is a part of the new update and one of the several changes that came with it.

• Brohoof 4

1 minute ago, LadyMercury said:

We were not prepared for this and the only reason it's been enabled is to provide something a bit more than what we had to play around with. More changes will come in the future as we figure out what we want to do with the feature and how it effects user engagement. 

To clarify, we were not the ones to make the new reactions system, this is a part of the new update and one of the several changes that came with it.

That's why I never used any specific names or occupations. I'm a little inept when it comes to the technical inner-workings of the forums and therefore I'm unfamiliar with who makes all the technical adjustments. 

To clarify, I am not thanking or blaming anyone in particular.

6 hours ago, LadyMercury said:

The CMS allows you to control this rather easily. So perhaps this is then a 'social experiment' to see how it is received. That's fair, as long as the leadership is considerate of members who make a good case.

So here is mine:

The brohoof system is a sort of social reward for posting content that others enjoy or agree with. This reward system alone can be very effective in influencing how people post and what they post. And like any social reaction, it can enable good or poor behavior, depending on one's goal, whether it be seeking attention or genuinely offering positive/useful content. In consideration of this, it's important that we all realize that any reaction system has the potential to cause emotional stress, and bliss. Studies show that notifications and 'likes' release dopamine in the subject - that happy chemical that also happens to be addictive. The upside is it makes you feel really good to get likes, the down side, it is makes you feel really bad if you get nothing. Now, everyone is different and I don't want anyone to think that what I'm presenting here is black and white - it isn't. Some people don't care at all, while others care more than we think - we just don't really know. However, over time, we learn about the sorts of things other like and don't like, and this hopefully aids us in becoming more sociable and genuine, rather than exploitative.

We hope.

Therefore, what will various reactions do? Already, some have revealed they just don't like it. Complication seems to be the most obvious shared concerned, and I have to agree. They are like frosting on top of frosting - brohooves already have the power of sugar, no reason for more. Forum interactions are complex as it is. For those that are effective at getting their point across, maybe less so. But even during my short experience here, I've noticed many are quite sensitive to how they are reacted to. And so I personally believe that whatever can help people communicate is a good thing, as long as those tools are used for that intent and are easily understood. And so we have emoji's. :D

Do I like emoji's or not? Apparently I like them because I gave a big smile at their mention. So emoji's already work. They are effective, and for the most part, almost never cause stress because they assist words. Sometimes they can be effective alone, it all depends on the context and familiarity of those involved. I tend to use more emoji's with people I don't know because it helps them understand where I'm coming from (hopefully). What would a one-click reaction do? I have no idea...and that's kinda the problem.

The conclusion is this. Are multiple reactions necessary since we already have emoji's? And which is more effective in communicating - emoji's or reactions? Which is more readily received and understood? Will multiple reactions complicate an already emotionally charged apparatus?

Would anyone know where I stood about this issue if I just reacted to the posts in this thread or if I took a little extra time and explained it? Do you see the danger here? Providing reactions could take the place of genuine, revealing and dynamic communication. Already I've seen posts with several different kinds of reactions and I have to say, I don't care to examine what they are. I've even posted some obtuse reactions like the 'confused' and the 'crazy' just to see what would happen and...nothing. Nothing happened. I don't even know if the receiver understood what I meant. At least I can brohoof a reply with an emoji or a short sentence like 'duh! :scoots:' just to acknowledge that I 'get it'. And so reactions feel like feedback that get no feedback - and they do almost nothing to incentivize good communication. Kinda awkward if you ask me.

In short, communicating is more important than reacting.

• Brohoof 9

3 hours ago, Mirage said:

The CMS allows you to control this rather easily. So perhaps this is then a 'social experiment' to see how it is received. That's fair, as long as the leadership is considerate of members who make a good case.

So here is mine:

The brohoof system is a sort of social reward for posting content that others enjoy or agree with. This reward system alone can be very effective in influencing how people post and what they post. And like any social reaction, it can enable good or poor behavior, depending on one's goal, whether it be seeking attention or genuinely offering positive/useful content. In consideration of this, it's important that we all realize that any reaction system has the potential to cause emotional stress, and bliss. Studies show that notifications and 'likes' release dopamine in the subject - that happy chemical that also happens to be addictive. The upside is it makes you feel really good to get likes, the down side, it is makes you feel really bad if you get nothing. Now, everyone is different and I don't want anyone to think that what I'm presenting here is black and white - it isn't. Some people don't care at all, while others care more than we think - we just don't really know. However, over time, we learn about the sorts of things other like and don't like, and this hopefully aids us in becoming more sociable and genuine, rather than exploitative.

We hope.

Therefore, what will various reactions do? Already, some have revealed they just don't like it. Complication seems to be the most obvious shared concerned, and I have to agree. They are like frosting on top of frosting - brohooves already have the power of sugar, no reason for more. Forum interactions are complex as it is. For those that are effective at getting their point across, maybe less so. But even during my short experience here, I've noticed many are quite sensitive to how they are reacted to. And so I personally believe that whatever can help people communicate is a good thing, as long as those tools are used for that intent and are easily understood. And so we have emoji's. :D

Do I like emoji's or not? Apparently I like them because I gave a big smile at their mention. So emoji's already work. They are effective, and for the most part, almost never cause stress because they assist words. Sometimes they can be effective alone, it all depends on the context and familiarity of those involved. I tend to use more emoji's with people I don't know because it helps them understand where I'm coming from (hopefully). What would a one-click reaction do? I have no idea...and that's kinda the problem.

The conclusion is this. Are multiple reactions necessary since we already have emoji's? And which is more effective in communicating - emoji's or reactions? Which is more readily received and understood? Will multiple reactions complicate an already emotionally charged apparatus?

Would anyone know where I stood about this issue if I just reacted to the posts in this thread or if I took a little extra time and explained it? Do you see the danger here? Providing reactions could take the place of genuine, revealing and dynamic communication. Already I've seen posts with several different kinds of reactions and I have to say, I don't care to examine what they are. I've even posted some obtuse reactions like the 'confused' and the 'crazy' just to see what would happen and...nothing. Nothing happened. I don't even know if the receiver understood what I meant. At least I can brohoof a reply with an emoji or a short sentence like 'duh! :scoots:' just to acknowledge that I 'get it'. And so reactions feel like feedback that get no feedback - and they do almost nothing to incentivize good communication. Kinda awkward if you ask me.

In short, communicating is more important than reacting.

I could not agree any more. Reactions i feel like are more invalidating emojis and communication. Reactions are more or less a hinderance to communication. Id rather have a 50 page essay id have to read then a simple "reaction" whidh makes things confusing. The older system worked amazing, mirage. Why cant we bring that back?

• Brohoof 2

6 hours ago, Mirage said:

Studies show that notifications and 'likes' release dopamine in the subject - that happy chemical that also happens to be addictive. The upside is it makes you feel really good to get likes, the down side, it is makes you feel really bad if you get nothing.

A study in 2014 Titled One click, many meanings: Interpreting paralinguistic digital affordances in social media found that only 16% reported a motivation related to likes on Facebook. It rises slight with women. 

As far as dopamine, you have to understand that their release is dependent on shifting perception. There is inherently nothing chemically intrinsic about a button on the internet other than how interpret it. Over time the same effect would apply to reactions if the person interprets reactions positively. 

To be completely fair, the only way to avoid the negative effect related to likes/reactions would for staff to remove the brohoof counter and remove any ability to 'like' a post. This was something discussed by an Admin back in 2014, though it was under less than honest posturing. 

I actually would not be inherently opposed to the idea of elimination of the counter and likes, though it would invalidate the contributions interactions that some active users take who tend to prefer to read and not respond. Those who respond and create content are not the only members of this site who are extremely active. 

The biggest root cause of any complaints may be the underlying principle regarding the psychology of an aversion to many things which are dynamic. The reaction system is based on the current implementation of popular chat and social media platforms, which remained popular after their implementation. 

• Brohoof 2

@Jeric I think the main issue here is that some members will just use "smiley" or "yay" and assume that it increases reputation, since it means pretty much the same thing as a brohoof - that you like the post. And most members here aren't going to read this thread to find out that these reactions don't make their friend's counter go up. So how do we get the word out about this new reaction system...?

Maybe I can try to make it the next meme 

Personally I think we should remove these duplicate options, since... well they're duplicates :wacko: 

• Brohoof 1

17 minutes ago, Jeric said:

A study in 2014 Titled One click, many meanings: Interpreting paralinguistic digital affordances in social media found that only 16% reported a motivation related to likes on Facebook. It rises slight with women. 

As far as dopamine, you have to understand that their release is dependent on shifting perception. There is inherently nothing chemically intrinsic about a button on the internet other than how interpret it. Over time the same effect would apply to reactions if the person interprets reactions positively. 

To be completely fair, the only way to avoid the negative effect related to likes/reactions would for staff to remove the brohoof counter and remove any ability to 'like' a post. This was something discussed by an Admin back in 2014, though it was under less than honest posturing. 

I actually would not be inherently opposed to the idea of elimination of the counter and likes, though it would invalidate the contributions interactions that some active users take who tend to prefer to read and not respond. Those who respond and create content are not the only members of this site who are extremely active. 

The biggest root cause of any complaints may be the underlying principle regarding the psychology of an aversion to many things which are dynamic. The reaction system is based on the current implementation of popular chat and social media platforms, which remained popular after their implementation. 

First I would like to clarify my intent with the psychology of 'liking' and reactions - my intent was to illustrate that it is an important matter, not to box anyone into a statistic. That is why I concluded with a disclaimer that 'we are all different'. Of course it depends on perception. But like so many other things, the apparatus has a deliberate, if not always obvious intent, as with advertisers using bikini girls to sell beer. So my point is to urge thinking about this - from as many angles as possible.

As far as dopamine and the social media culture, consider this Article. I first realized the dopamine effect in social media after listening to Simon Sinek, a business consultant who expounded on why millennials tend to be selfish brats who seek instant gratification in just about everything. They are the Social Media generation, and so much of their identity it drawn from the social structures of the internet with its 'click for thrills' strategy. 

I don't agree with removing a social reward system - but I do promote that people educate themselves on what it means - both to themselves and to others.

Of course it's natural to resist change, and to form skepticism of things which were not conceived of on one's own terms. I would hope therefore that we can simply discuss this before writing off opposition as 'simple minded' people who can't handle complexity (re-written as 'dynamic').

So we should implement this reaction system because it's popular in other places? Makes me even more suspicious... :huh: 

What I would really like to see is someone demonstrate why this reaction system is better for this forum.

• Brohoof 5