Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

We upgraded the forums! And broke things!

DDR

58 minutes ago, Mirage said:

What I would really like to see is someone demonstrate why this reaction system is better for this forum.

They create the same subtle benefit that emoji do. They add flavor within their natural granularity. For instance, if I made a joke that someone found hilarious, a laugh react adds additional context than a standard like. If I say something amusingly absurd, a crazy reaction also adds more context beyond the default. This creates a deeper connection between the respondent similar to the difference between a smile and a nod if you acknowledge someone. On Facebook they have the heart react. If someone used that it sends a signal that they were more affected by your post or reply, enough to warrant a higher degree of reaction. 

Ever seen something devastatingly sad, say a blog or post where a loved one passed away, and felt that hitting like or brohoof was somehow inappropriate? This is why the sad or crying reactions exist. It again creates a unique layer of communication between the communicator and respondent. 

• Brohoof 3

9 minutes ago, Jeric said:

They create the same subtle benefit that emoji do. They add flavor within their natural granularity. For instance, if I made a joke that someone found hilarious, a laugh react adds additional context than a standard like. If I say something amusingly absurd, a crazy reaction also adds more context beyond the default. This creates a deeper connection between the respondent similar to the difference between a smile and a nod if you acknowledge someone. On Facebook they have the heart react. If someone used that it sends a signal that they were more affected by your post or reply, enough to warrant a higher degree of reaction. 

Ever seen something devastatingly sad, say a blog or post where a loved one passed away, and felt that hitting like or brohoof was somehow inappropriate? This is why the sad or crying reactions exist. It again creates a unique layer of communication between the communicator and respondent. 

But again... what's the difference between "yay", "smiley", and "brohoof"? :confused: 

• Brohoof 4

After a few days, I'm starting to get used to the system. The only thing that annoys me is the fact that notifications refuse to specify how exactly the user reacted to your post, but I guess there's nothing wrong with getting up off your lazy flank and checking the actual post. :wacko:

6 minutes ago, SparkliciousSwirls said:

But again... what's the difference between "yay", "smiley", and "brohoof"? :confused: 

What's the difference between a fist pump and a clap? What's the difference between a nod and a smile? 

If someone posts good news, like they got accepted into a graduate program they applied to, a yay seems more affecting than a smile. It's a degree of celebration, and adds nuance. 

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Jeric said:

Thank you for that.

I would liken this to sending a card. There are neutral cards and then there are specific cards. Which is more meaningful - a neutral card with added, personal writing or a specific card with only a signature? Which feels more organic? This is similar to how I feel about the reactions being nuanced - tailored reactions seem like a good idea, but it replaces an organic, personal element that would be more fitting. I think it's worth thinking about how a culture turns from personal, rather laborious traditions to convey respect and admiration, to one that buys something out of convenience to ostensibly replace these 'old' traditions. Christmas 'Cards' used to be formal letters and works of art. Now they are just pictures with a stamp.

I have found that in topics and posts which are particularly serious, that using a brohoof is either too generic to be on point or inappropriate. In such cases I'm practically forced to tailor a response, as opposed to a one-click. I think this creates a more well received forum of communication - even if one's response is awkward - at least one can convey some effort it trying to relate and reach out.

Not to say that one can react AND respond, but there is this whole thing about routine and 'ease of use'. It could change the dynamics of communication in an even more distant, anonymous way, as illustrated above.

So, with all due respect, a brohoof is kinda like a plastic banana. Whether that banana is by itself or among a bowl of plastic fruit - it's all still just plastic.

3 hours ago, PinkiePie97 said:

It seems I can see how much money other people have donated to the site. Before, you could only see how much you donated. I remember people having an issue with that when the last upgrade happened.

I don't think that actually happened with the last upgrade (a handful of members mistakenly thought that seeing their own donations meant they could see everyone else's). In this case, though, you're right: I can see your donation numbers. That really shouldn't be visible for anyone other than mods. :blink:

• Brohoof 4

5 hours ago, Yellow Diamond said:

I don't think that actually happened with the last upgrade (a handful of members mistakenly thought that seeing their own donations meant they could see everyone else's).

Yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

• Brohoof 2

6 hours ago, PinkiePie97 said:

Yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

No worries! I just happen to remember being on staff at that time and addressing that exact issue. :)

• Brohoof 3

Great update! :D So administrators will always keep this website up-to-date to fix security issues. Also, when I visit the topic, the bro-hoof button is updated with an icon with a reaction system just like on Facebook and Twitter, so that's good. :)

• Brohoof 2

On 12/23/2017 at 7:17 PM, PinkiePie97 said:

It seems I can see how much money other people have donated to the site. Before, you could only see how much you donated. I remember people having an issue with that when the last upgrade happened.

Huh. Temporary glitch. Should be fixed now, thanks to @LadyMercury:unsure:

• Brohoof 6

On 12/21/2017 at 4:08 PM, LadyMercury said:

So I'm hesitant to let the new ones have any meaning beyond positive/neutral. Hence why the 'worst' is just a frown, and I've put that in just in so that there's a valid response in case someone posts something legitimately sad, or something that'd feel downright awkard having a smileyface attached to it.

That's fair. I have no problem with someone posting a frown reaction if someone purposely posts something sad. I would assume it's the kind of reaction they would want. 

What does the "Crazy" reaction mean, though? Is it an accusation that I'm crazy? If so, then that's far from neutral, and is not a positive reaction I would like to receive, especially if my post is serious.

Or am I misunderstanding the emote? 

• Brohoof 5

9 minutes ago, ChB said:

That's fair. I have no problem with someone posting a frown reaction if someone purposely posts something sad. I would assume it's the kind of reaction they would want. 

What does the "Crazy" reaction mean, though? Is it an accusation that I'm crazy? If so, then that's far from neutral, and is not a positive reaction I would like to receive, especially if my post is serious.

Or am I misunderstanding the emote? 

I personally don't think of it as a 'You're crazy" but more of a humorous "Your post's content is somewhat crazy" akin to someone irl saying "That's nuts man" or something along those lines. I do want to judge how the community does end up using these though and I'll remove them accordingly if they're being used for the stuff I really don't think is appropriate.

8 hours ago, LadyMercury said:

I personally don't think of it as a 'You're crazy" but more of a humorous "Your post's content is somewhat crazy" akin to someone irl saying "That's nuts man" or something along those lines. I do want to judge how the community does end up using these though and I'll remove them accordingly if they're being used for the stuff I really don't think is appropriate.

Basically every time I take the pulpit as the Prophet of Rarity and talk about her slaying giant enemy crabs in defense of Seaponies. A third of my posts are of similar nonsense and would warrant a wack-a-do emote since my goal when I make those is to invoke a laugh or a 'wat?'

• 1 month later...

So far I have noticed that I still cannot post a signature. It keeps giving me an error message. I don't want to bother Admins just to add my signature for me. I know they have better things to do. Does anyone know why it keeps giving a bunch of us errors on the sigs still?

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hm, I'll have to look into it. I'm working on an email link issue right now, I'll see about fixing signatures next.

• Brohoof 2

On 3/21/2018 at 8:52 PM, Ken said:

Why don't you switch over to another forum software already?

If you were here when they simply upgraded to IP.B 4.x, you wouldn't ask that question. There was a not so insignificant population of the forum community that didn't like the minor changes that came with IP.B 4

• Brohoof 1

I think it would be nice to have "Smiley," "Yay," and "Thanks" reactions count towards your reputation count, since they show just as big (if not bigger) signs of approval as a Brohoof.

Thoughts? :) 

• Brohoof 1

I understand that many of the older emojis were removed and phased out. Understandably, many of these reasons were likely due to limited site memory storage. image.png

Don't anyone worry though. image.png I'm keeping the ones I managed to find and rescue safe in my basement, where they have slumber parties and tea parties every day. image.png

They're on strict curfew and not allowed outside though. Don't want any stupid shenanigans. image.png

On 21/03/2018 at 5:52 PM, Ken said:

Why don't you switch over to another forum software already?

From my end, it would be a heck of a lot of work. There's a massive amount of meta-stuff we've got working right now that just wouldn't be able to be exported to a different piece of software - things like reactions, bans, e-commerce, email template customization, and so on.

I think there's been a few whacks at making something in-horse over the years, but nothing that's got anywhere. It's a surprisingly huge software engineering project.

5 hours ago, ChB said:

I think it would be nice to have "Smiley," "Yay," and "Thanks" reactions count towards your reputation count, since they show just as big (if not bigger) signs of approval as a Brohoof.

I'd be down with that. (I'm not really involved in that decision, though - that's more of a front-end thing. I just try to keep the software up to date and bug free.)

5 hours ago, Cwanky said:

I understand that many of the older emojis were removed and phased out.

Which older emojis? All the ones you posted still seem to be in the drop-down, just under the Emoticons category?

image.png

It could be that we just broke a permissions thing somewhere along the line, too. 🤔

• Brohoof 3

10 hours ago, ChB said:

4 hours ago, DDR said:

I'd be down with that. (I'm not really involved in that decision, though - that's more of a front-end thing. I just try to keep the software up to date and bug free.)

Okay. @LadyMercury, would you be able to implement this? 

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, DDR said:

Which older emojis? All the ones you posted still seem to be in the drop-down, just under the Emoticons category?

image.png

It could be that we just broke a permissions thing somewhere along the line, too. 🤔

I actually wasn’t aware they are still around until I saw you point out how to access them in categories. :crackle: Thanks! I will check them out for sure! :pinkie: