Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who do you think is eviler and is the better villain: Tirek or The Storm King?

AlicornSpell

Spoiler

I think Tirek is eviler and is a much better villain, because he had more screentime and he's completely serious. And also Storm King feels like a Tirek clone (because of him absorbing magic and because of him betraying Tempest Shadow).

I'm talking about the G4 (Friendship Is Magic) version of Tirek, and not the G1 (Rescue at Midnight Castle) version of him.

Edited by AlicornSpell

Tirek for sure, in the show he's definitely the one who only want to see the world burn; as for Storm King, in the movie he just like a stupid but bigger kid.

I haven't read the movie's comics yet, so maybe Storm King is a better villain than Tirek in the book. Anyway I go for Tirek now,

Storm King. Don't let that goofiness fool you, the worst Tirek has done is send three of the princesses in Tartarus, while Storm King is not above in gratuitous cruelty and willingness of cold blooded killing   

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 3:20 PM, Steve Piranha said:

Storm King. Don't let that goofiness fool you, the worst Tirek has done is send three of the princesses in Tartarus, while Storm King is not above in gratuitous cruelty and willingness of cold blooded killing   

He is still a weak villain, especially compared to villains like Tirek. 

30 minutes ago, AlicornSpell said:

He is still a weak villain, especially compared to villains like Tirek. 

Tirek usually leaves alone his victims once he stole his magic. What Stormy does after getting it? Outright attempted murder. That's like comparing Cell's cruelty with Frieza. Cell used to be much more powerful, but Frieza was, is, and will always be the cruelest of the DB villains

1 hour ago, Steve Piranha said:

Tirek usually leaves alone his victims once he stole his magic. What Stormy does after getting it? Outright attempted murder. That's like comparing Cell's cruelty with Frieza. Cell used to be much more powerful, but Frieza was, is, and will always be the cruelest of the DB villains

Well I read somewhere that the reason why Tirek left his victims alive is because he thought leaving them alive was a fate worse than death.

Yeah, the Storm King is bad. He kept most of Canterlot in chains while waiting for Tempest to bring back the Mane Six.

But Tirek isn't used as comic relief. He isn't immature. He's the smarter character and the more clever character. And he wants more than just magic for a scepter that creates cool thunderstorms. Tirek is out for blood, so he can pay back the ponies who imprisoned him in Tartarus. He has a more interesting motive, rather than "IMMA MAKE LOTS OF STORMS!"

• Brohoof 1

Tirek was the better villain, because he was more threatening. The Storm King (as you can see my rant on him in the "What did you think of the MLP movie" thread), we get no exposition on him, as in, we get no backstory. Why is he the bad guy? What choices did he make? Where did he come from? He just appears, makes some stupid jokes that establishes that only, "oh see look how much of a bad guy this bad guy is, he's laughing when he's doing bad things, isn't that awful?!" and you're just supposed to buy that.

Well I don't. Even the prequel story/comic gives no backstory, and in the comic (Which is poorly drawn IMO), he even jerkishly teases the readers, "oh did you want to know my back story? TOO BAD!" and just goes on stealing, pillaging, and burning. We get nothing even by personal insult by the character breaking the fourth wall. He breaks it just to insult us. I was extremely disappointed. I am not threatened by Storm King. He's laughable. And barely shows up in the movie at all. It's all Tempest, and even she has a very pathetic little backstory, but again, my grievances with that are in the other thread.

Again, IMO, Tirek was much more threatening, and would ultimately crush the Storm King. Because that pathetic little arctic monkey reject would not have the power, nor the bollocks to stand up to Tirek. The next threatening villain to me was King Sombra, and even Sombra would skewer that sad simian. 

• Brohoof 1

Tirek is a real monster and desires power all the time.

Storm King is more like an idiot who was told about magic, but doenst know what to do with it so just puts himself in power for a laugh. Tempest was the one who told him about the staff and Equestria in the first place, the guy was clueless.

• Brohoof 1

In terms of showcasing pure power and the desire for wanting it, Tirek is the superior villain and he takes his own ambition seriously. On the other hand, in terms of having a personality and interacting with characters, the Storm King takes it. In that sense, both of them have their good and bad qualities so whichever of the two is more evil comes down to how each individual views their overall effectiveness.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tirek was awesome because he wasn't so incredibly goofy. That was really what I disliked most about the Storm King. I never saw him as a serious threat, not even when he finally got the alicorn powers. Tirek, on the other hand, very clearly was a threat, one who even had a lasting impact by destroying the library. There's no question for me that Tirek is the better villain.

• Brohoof 1

Tirek is both more evil and a better overall villain. He wasn't simply intimidating, but cerebral, too. He knew how to emotionally manipulate the naïve in order to achieve his goals. Discord's true reformation wouldn't have the proper impact had Tirek not wager an offer too good to be true and then double-cross him at his most vulnerable.

• Brohoof 3

Tirek was both a much better villan & way more evil than The Storm King, IMO.

I felt like Storm King suffered from two problems:

1. He wasn't in the movie enough.

2. He wasn't shown to be very intimidating villain while Tempest Shadow was pretty much straight faced & serious

throughout the entire movie which made her feel like more of a threat.

Storm King was basically Hades-lite, IMO. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234

Tirek is much more threatening than Storm King, he's smarter, he's stronger, and even get a proper backstory. Tirek is just as ruthless as his G1 counterpart, and he has one redeeming quality too, he keep his promise to Twilight, take her magic and release her helpless friends, if it was Storm King, he would kill all of them, i think Tirek used to be a honorable but after being betrayed by his brother, he become more manipulate. Storm King's personality is more funny, but we got Discord for that, and Discord is much more powerful. Storm King is the weakest villain of the series he is one of the weaker parts of the movie, he is just a lesser and goofy version of Tirek, hell, even Imaginary Daybreaker is much more threatning and entertaining than that guy.

Edited by Lambdadelta
  • Brohoof 1

I would say storm King, he literally destroyed kingdoms after savaging them for wealth and in a search for magic. Let alone almost conquering the world if he had succeed taking over equestria. The whole world had been affected by him and his colony. Tierk in the other hand, sure take up all the power but didn't do a slightest in destroying kingdoms, except in destroying twilight's tree house and some landscape. 

And also I think Storm King is more sophisticated than tirek. Overall though, I think both make a good villian equality in some exceed. 

Tirek, all the way. I am sorry but the Storm King felt to goofy to really be threatening, I mean, Discord was goofy, but he did not let that goofieness, distract him from his goal, and can prove to be truly threatening when angered. I mean the fact I feel more intimidated by someone who makes clouds rain chocolate and turns grass into soap then the bad guy that turned people into chrystal statues is saying something.

I'd go with Tirek. I liked the Storm King when he appeared, but he didn't exactly have as much screen time as I would've like him to have had. Tirek was a threat all the way through, while the Storm King was more of a greater scope villain than anything else and Tempest was the main focus. Though I did get a kick out of the Storm King's goofiness.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Storm King was too much of a mixed bag. He was plenty evil, but so much of it got sugar-coated by his apparent arrested-development. He seemed very much a blundering idiot with the emotional capacity of a five-year old, which made it hard to believe he was capable of being a tyrant who could maintain control of a vast empire. Indeed, it seemed like Tempest would have had NO problem overthrowing him just on charisma alone, to say nothing about the fact that she's clearly a FAR better leader. For all I can see, it seems like Tirek would make for a more charismatic leader too though.

How scary the Storm King really is doesn't reveal itself until gets himself buffed up with Alicorn power. He smashes Twilight through a solid wall just to test-fire his new toy. Normal pony Twilight. Not Alicorn Twilight. That is probably the sickest thing I've ever seen a villain do in MLP. Then he goes even madder with his power and wipes out the majority of his own forces while dropping a tornado right on top of Canterlot.

The Storm King is almost definitely more evil. While Tirek might be a power-hungry wannabe ruler, he doesn't seem like he really wants to kill or torture anyone.

But as for who is a "better" Villain, I have to give that to Lord Tirek. Tirek demonstrates that he understands diplomacy and has at least 'some' etiquette that reflects his royal lineage. Even as an enemy, he addresses Twilight as Princess. He is also a negotiator, has a good amount of charisma, and is very cunning. Even when he's at his weakest, he can turn his bad situation into a good one.

Comparitively, the Storm King doesn't appear to have anything going for him without a ridiculous amount of magic at his disposal. It's hard to say whether this extends to his usual royal duties, but it seems pretty clear that most of the credit for his success is owed to those closest to him. Grubber and Tempest are the ones doing all the work, while the Storm King tries to figure out how to operate a magical cellphone. I kind of suspect that he inherited the throne at a very young age, possibly due to the early death of his father, but that's just the head-CANON that makes most sense to me, based on his behavior. Becoming king in his early teens and having a thousand servants waiting on him, he never really had to grow up, and just lets others do the adulting for him.

• 2 weeks later...

It's Tirek. Storm King didn't have much of a presence in the movie to begin with, not to mention if felt like they wanted someone goofier like Discord, but nowhere near as effective. Tirek was a legitimate threat who would constantly escalate