Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler What's your opinion about season 8?

FirePuppy

If anything; season 8 is currently showing up to be a solid season overall. With only one meh episode and arguable to sub-par ones; the writing has largely been consistent AND entertaining. While it hasn't reached the level that 7 & 5 reached for me; it's still solid like 2 & 4 were, and probably even better. :)

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
4 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

It's not bad. Although, some people compare it to Season 6. Personally, I don't see it, many because... Starlight wasn't the leading character in School Daze.

Agreed, and for a few more reasons.

1. Josh Haber's skills as an editor have vastly improved, even though other people help him now. The episode quality's a lot more consistent now than S6.
  2. Fake It and NCC are S8's worst episodes so far. Neither of them come close to S6's worst.
  3. Nowadays, the show treats SG as part of the mane cast, whereas she in the show when the plot demanded it then.
Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's alright so far. I'm enjoying it way more than I enjoyed season 7, though not quite as much as season 6 yet. Batting average right now is 6/10, though even "Surf and/or Turf" wasn't necessarily bad. For this show that's not a terrible average, and this season has already offered up one of my all-time favourite episodes in "Horse Play," which has earned it a lot of goodwill from me. Alas, the characterization of the mane six - the characters I actually watch this show for - remains spotty, "School Daze" and "Horse Play" aside, and it's really starting to wear down my patience. I guess we'll have to see how the season progresses. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 12/26/2017 at 5:27 PM, Dark Qiviut said:

I saw the leaked episodes, too, and it's way too early to tell, but…

Reveal hidden contents

If the quality keeps up, it may end up being the best season of the show.

The worst episode, Non-Compete Clause, is nowhere nearly as awful as Fame, Owl's Well, or To Where. It's only a bad episode at the lowest. The other six are good.

In almost all seven leaked episodes, the biggest strength is the dialogue. It's a lot snappier, more organic, and more full of personality. Even the exposition isn't so bad, because clever dialogue masks it so well. In addition, there's a lot of visual storytelling, which really rounds out the characters more. The Parent Map, which I went after pretty hard partially for clumsy dialogue, was way better than I thought the second time around. The dialogue was way better than I originally thought and had many good moments.

To list the leaked episodes in order, from best to worst:

1. The Break Up Breakdown
  2. The Mean Six
  3. Surf and/or Turf
  4. Horse Play
  5. The Parent Map
  6. Molt Down
  7. Non-Compete Clause

Well, time for an update.

Is it better than S5 or 7? No. The slow start and NCC hurt it. But my compliments for the dialogue and visual storytelling remain. Does it doesn't have any of S7's or S5's highs yet? No. But none of the lows of S6, Fame, and Princess Spike, either. It's very consistent with many great episodes, more so than the first half last year. The Break Up Break Down is among my top-10 for the series.

So far, it's my third-favorite season (behind 7 & 5). But that may change for the better or worse in the upcoming months. We'll see. ;)

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's been middling to low for me. Not quite season 6 level bad, but definitely lower tier. I loved the Horse Play Episode, and a couple others were mostly solid, but it's mostly been forgettable and a bit frustrating.

• Brohoof 2

Not as strong as season 7. With the follow-up of the Movie, I supposed the show would be riding on gained momentum for now usually recalling the events of the Movie. The School of Friendship, new students and new characters(which the latter occurrs at almost every episode now) and of course Spike's huge accomplishment. The show feels more opened which is good in a world building aspect. Consistency wise, some episodes are good while others don't do it for me. Mane characters are a mix bag of reception and the lack of songs this season just feels void compared to earlier performances. 

The show is wrapping up as a whole so I can't expect more but that depends on what happens later or not. I'm still holding out for Season 9 to maybe rekindled the interest I originally had. Season 8 so far had its ups and downs but I personally think it's weaker by far. Time will tell on how well it ages. 

It's been decent so far, but not as good as Season 7. None of the episodes were unforgivably bad, but generally it's been kinda meh. It's had a few great episodes though, not as high as Season 7, but still really good. 

• 3 years later...

Quite a promotion for the MLP The Movie 2017. Quite a odd direction with the whole School of Friendship thing.

:oh_golly::kirin:

Cozy Glow and Sounds of Silence made the season okay I guess.

• Brohoof 3

While I don’t hate it as much as other people do because I think there are still some beautiful episodes in there, the biggest letdown for me was the School and the Student Six who are the only characters on the show that I absolutely despise and wish they got banished to the Everfree Forest and turned into logs! 

You never should have taken the Mane Six away from their jobs that they have taken eight years to work up to. They clearly didn’t want to be teachers so why did you force them?

• Brohoof 3

I don't hate season 8, but I think it's the weakest season of them all. With the weakest episodes from this season like Non-Compete Clause and The End in Friend but also wonderful episodes like Sounds of Silence or The Washouts. So I really don't hate season 8, but it's a mixed bag.

I think all of bad stuff in this seasons originates in the way the School of Friendship is structured. I also don't hate the School idea in principle, but the way it is presented to work doesn't really work well in my opinion. Instead of this 'real world' shaped school it would have been better to let the mane six do what they have done before and put the students among them. This could also be used as a kind of School and makes much more sense then what have been shown in season 8. This would have allowed to fresh everything up by introducing new characters and interactions. Especially it would have made easier to give to give the new characters some shining moments without damaging well established characters (see e.g the two bad episodes I mentioned earlier)

• Brohoof 2

Bottom half of the show but for the most part I actually enjoyed it. Share's a lot of the same problems S6 and S9 had. However, unlike those two though the problems don't annoy me as much here as they did those two seasons and the highs are strong enough for me to prefer it

• Brohoof 2

My opinion on Season 8 is that I did not like the School of Friendship or the new characters & the Season 8 finale

School Raze lowered my excitement for Season 9 dramatically.

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 2

On 2021-12-05 at 9:42 PM, TomDaBombMLP said:

You never should have taken the Mane Six away from their jobs that they have taken eight years to work up to. They clearly didn’t want to be teachers so why did you force them?

Yeah, the school felt too much like a gimmick to keep things fresh. I think Season 8 tried to have the cake and eat it too. It had to balance the Mane Six, CMCs, Spike, Starlight, Student Six, The School and the other characters like Big Mac, Celestia/Luna, Discord and The Pillars, which just way too much.

I like Season 8, but that's always kinda bugged me. :adorkable: