Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

researching Unable to Add Image in Signature

Rikifive

Whenever I attempt to edit my signature, it throws an error when trying to save changes. To be more specific, it starts to load--- loads--- loads--- loads---- and throws the famous 504 gateway error in the end. --- Or if you're lucky, you'll get this cute image instead:

*tried to copy the link and paste it here, but it's soooo long, that it froze this editor*
Wow, didn't expect to get a wall of random letters from an image link.. :sunbutt:
- downloading image...
- uploading image...
- pasting its link...

ngN6qyX.png

There, much better. :derp: 

Further investigation has shown, that trying to put an image causes the problem, because when I've removed it from signature, it worked.

The image itself is not a problem - I'm sure it's "legit". Besides, I had that image in my signature here for ages, but now I can't put it back, nor any other image I've tried. I'm hosting my images on Imgur, so their links are correct; properly ended with .png etc., that is.

I tried changing my signature few days ago; I tried doing this today. It still doesn't work.

By the way, there's a thread in this section titled:
Unable to add image in signature? READ THIS

Buuuuuuut it seems to be corrupted. :twi: 

Sorry, there is a problem

There are no posts to show

Error code: 2F173/L

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

141412447553.gif

The issue still persists. :(

Adding attachments seems to be working, but it's not as effective as putting the image directly via URL. :twi:

• Brohoof 2

OK, I'm editing my post because I now realize that you can't just edit the source, so my bad :P 

However I am able to just post the link to add it like you've said, so I will do further investigation.

As it is, please make sure that  you're only using one image in your signature as that's all that's enabled thus far for users.

• Brohoof 3

Hi Rikifive,

Would you please be able to tell us what image specifically you are trying to insert into your signature? (or, ideally, the entirety of your intended signature?)

Cheers,
tinker

• Brohoof 3

15 hours ago, LadyMercury said:

As it is, please make sure that  you're only using one image in your signature as that's all that's enabled thus far for users.

Yep, I'm aware of the image limit, but even if I'd be putting too many, I'd get an error saying, that I've exceeded the limit. I'm getting the endless loading followed by "Something went wrong." page instead, which basically means, as is written there, that "This is a problem on Poniverse's end, not yours.". :derp: The editor doesn't even get to the point, where it calculates amount of images put and compares that to settings - it seems to break before that point. 

15 hours ago, LadyMercury said:

However I am able to just post the link to add it like you've said, so I will do further investigation.

If it does work for you, then it most likely has something to do with group privileges - namely their signature settings. There is something members have, that administrators not. Also from what I've discovered, retired staff group also seem to have that setting, that makes them unable to update signatures when there are images in them. Information based on what I caught while messaging with a member from that group; May be inaccurate

Now the question is- what exactly it is? :ooh:

If I could suggest anything, then that would be applying exactly the same signature limits to the administrator group and see if the error will occur for you. :muffins: 

Personally I'm suspecting, that the image size limit setting (retrieving image dimensions) is what causes the problem, but it's a pretty wild guess. If the admin group doesn't have any size limit, try setting any and see what happens. :rarity:

That's all I can tell at the moment - no other ideas. Not that you'd have to listen to me in the first place. :twi: 

2 hours ago, tinker said:

Hi Rikifive,

Would you please be able to tell us what image specifically you are trying to insert into your signature? (or, ideally, the entirety of your intended signature?)

Cheers,
tinker

Hello,

To be honest I can't put any image, whether there's additional text or not. :twi:

To be sure that there's actually an issue, I waited around a week before reporting the issue and I waited another two weeks before bumping the thread, checking if anything has changed in meanwhile. I've tried many images, few ways of posting these (automatically and manually using BBcode), but nothing worked.

For example, let's take this one from my recent works -
ZZZxfFY.png

It is uploaded on my Imgur account, so I'm 100% sure the link is properly formatted, as it never gave me any problems before (2,697 images uploaded there; no problems so far). Trying to put that image alone in the signature causes it to load forever and throw the 'something went wrong' page in the end. :muffins: 

I've also tried that tiny image: H4uzzEG.png , but the same result.

And now, there's the image, that @Totally Lyra has in signature as seen in this post-
img-37989-1-img-37989-1-sig-4657732.img-

This is the image I used to have in my signature before it broke. Now when I copy&paste the image directly to my signature, it still throws that error, even if the image clearly worked before.

I hope that will help to exclude few possibilities. :rarity: 

Thank you for help. :) 

Just now, Rikifive said:

If it does work for you, then it most likely has something to do with group privileges - namely their signature settings. There is something members have, that administrators not. Also from what I've discovered, retired staff group also seem to have that setting, that makes them unable to update signatures when there are images in them. Information based on what I caught while messaging with a member from that group; May be inaccurate

Now the question is- what exactly it is? :ooh:

Indeed, I figured looking at that last night would be good, so I'll get to it when I'm not exhausted, I'll work with Tinker when he's not dying to try and fix this one :)