Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do You No Longer See Ponies as 'Ponies'?

TS Lightner

To What Degree Do You See Ponies from the Show as 'Ponies'?  

47 users have voted

1. 1. To What Degree Do You See Ponies from the Show as 'Ponies'?

• I think of them as people like us.
    • I think of them as people like us, but I do remember/remind myself that they're talking animals.
    • They're people like us, but it's hard to look past them being 'ponies'.
    • To me, they're talking animals.

As the title says, have you become so used to seeing ponies, that you don't even think twice about them being ponies?  Obviously you still understand that they're ponies, and can clearly identify that, but I mean when you think of them, do you think of them as talking animals, or ponies like us?

Personally, I no longer think of them as animals, and do think of them as ponies like us. the fact that they're ponies doesn't even phase me anymore.  (Heck, I don't even think you can compare the show itself to other cartoons anymore, and probably should compare it to prime-time shows on the mane networks.)

Edited by Superplay64
  • Brohoof 1

@Superplay64

I always saw them as people you can learn something from since the very beginning of me watching FiM.

Shouldn't there be a poll option that say, "Nothing's changed. I'd always saw them as people" Please add that if you can.

I can sympathize with them (like I would with otherwise similar human characters) and wish I could befriend them. But it's not a completely unique case for me. Having watched a lot of cartoons, I'm familiar with many anthropomorphic animal characters. I actually prefer such characters to cartoon humans in many cases, as I feel non-human characters allow for more fantasy elements and require less realism. With the ponies, it's sort of a best of both worlds case, as their personalities are more human-like than many other animal cartoon characters and as such more relatable.

But do I see them as ponies? When watching the show, I don't really think of the characters' species (though I'm obviously aware of it). And they don't remind me of real horses very much, as they're quite cartoonized versions of them.

• Brohoof 4

When it comes down to it...Aren't we really just a bunch of talking animals ourselves? I don't see the ponies as any different than us, they're people, simple as that. It doesn't matter if those people are hairless apes or magical ponies or mutated turtles, people are people. Calling them "Just animals" feels kinda offensive...or, it would if they were real, anyway.

Edited by BasementSparkle
  • Brohoof 2

They are indeed person-like, but one of the things I like most about them is that they are also very equine-like as well. They pull carts, kick and rear-up to express themselves, gallop and trot and shake their tales. They even snort and whinny like ponies! They are extremely adorable when they revert to being pony-like - I love it so much.

I choosed "To me, they are talking animals" because:

For me they are talking animals, like us on the other.
We human beings ARE talking animals with a conscience, mammals, but simply evolved talking animals on a mental (and physical) level.
The ponies on the show are the same thing, they are talking animals, ponies, but still talking animals with a conscience like ours.
So, we humans are talking animals as well as ponies are equally talking animals but both with the same consciousness, I do not know if I have explained myself. :b

(IMHO obv, and I'm talking about conscience)

Edited by Alex2002ita

To me, the ponies are basically just a bunch of humans in colorful four-legged bodies. Yeah, there are plenty of horse references, but I can relate to these characters enough to really not care about their species.

Apart from a few different words, like everypony, somepony, etc, they talk like people. Apart from the consequences of having cutie marks, wings, and/or horns, they act like people. Despite being somewhat naive and living in a fairly peaceful world, they think like people. They experience human emotions.

They might as well just be humans in an alternate universe.

• Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, Alex2002ita said:

I choosed "To me, they are talking animals" because:

For me they are talking animals, like us on the other.
We human beings ARE talking animals with a conscience, mammals, but simply evolved talking animals on a mental (and physical) level.
The ponies on the show are the same thing, they are talking animals, ponies, but still talking animals with a conscience like ours.
So, we humans are talking animals as well as ponies are equally talking animals but both with the same consciousness, I do not know if I have explained myself. :b

(IMHO, obv and I'm talking about conscience)

Yes, I do understand. Philosophers would say it this way: Like us, ponies possess a consciousness that is united to their bodies. However, their physical nature differs from ours, in that we are humanoid, and they are pony.

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Mirage said:

Yes, I do understand. Philosophers would say it this way: Like us, ponies possess a consciousness that is united to their bodies.

Exactly! :D

6 minutes ago, Mirage said:

However, their physical nature differs from ours, in that we are humanoid, and they are pony.

In fact I did not talk about their nature, on this it is obvious that our nature is very different from our and I totally agree on what you say ;)

Edited by Alex2002ita
  • Brohoof 1

I think EqG Twi is instructive on this too (not SciTwi :D) - As the FiM pony AND as the more human-shaped (if not human-coloured) EqG, she is still Twi.

Therefore, her Twi-ness is independent of her shape - she is Twi, regardless of being a pony, a breezy, or an EqG...

I will always see them as talking animals. And to tell you the truth, I can't understand how anybody can think differently on the subject. It doesn't matter how intelligent these ponies are. We don't see the characters from Animal Farm as anything but talking animals. In fact, horses like Boxer would feel right at home in Equestria. So what makes the ponies from FIM any different (besides magic)?

Well for some reason I've always automatically thaught of the ponies from MLP as my future creations like I actually created them in real life in the near future as a project that would attempt to save humanity from their own destruction. So I don't know why I think of them this way but maybe it's true that I created them in the future if I'm feeling it deeply now. :)

I see them as an alien civilization (think Star Trek, Mass Effect, etc.), basically.

So yeah, people instead of animals; in fact, we see Ponies (capitalized on purpose -- like the name of an official alien race) like Fluttershy taking care of actual animals.

Edited by A.V.

On 12/26/2017 at 3:20 PM, BasementSparkle said:

When it comes down to it...Aren't we really just a bunch of talking animals ourselves? I don't see the ponies as any different than us, they're people, simple as that. It doesn't matter if those people are hairless apes or magical ponies or mutated turtles, people are people. Calling them "Just animals" feels kinda offensive...or, it would if they were real, anyway.

Well, no, we’re animals, but we’re also people. 

All people are animals, but not all animals are people.

The irony of calling us “just a bunch of talking animals” is as offensive as calling ponies animals.

4 hours ago, ShootingStar159 said:

Well, no, we’re animals, but we’re also people. 

All people are animals, but not all animals are people.

The irony of calling us “just a bunch of talking animals” is as offensive as calling ponies animals.

I never said we weren't people. I was making a comment on how we humans are really animals too, just like the ponies are, but clearly we aren't the same as other animals, just like the ponies aren't the same as a normal real life horse. There's no real difference between us and them in that regard.

23 minutes ago, BasementSparkle said:

I never said we weren't people. I was making a comment on how we humans are really animals too, just like the ponies are, but clearly we aren't the same as other animals, just like the ponies aren't the same as a normal real life horse. There's no real difference between us and them in that regard.

I know what you were saying in full, but what you said, “aren’t we all just a bunch of talking animals ourselves?” is breaking your argument down too far. Many different animals can “talk”, humans and ponies are not people just because we can talk, it’s a lot of more complex issues that determine personhood. Gorillas, for example, can learn to communicate basic ideas through sign language. That doesn’t mean they are people.

I don’t disagree with what your saying, I just don’t think it was the best way to say it.

• Brohoof 1