Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Most over-hated episodes?

Sovereign Leader Rarity

Over the course of the series, there have undeniably been quite a few episodes which have not been up to par with the rest. Episodes that inevitably fail for one reason or another, be it unlikable characters, poor story, bad pacing, you name it. But are there any episodes that you feel are the subject of too much disdain among the community? We all think at least somewhat differently on the matter.

For example, personally I'd say that "Magical Mystery Cure" gets far too much hatred from MLP fans who judge the episode more on what it represents and not what the episode is from an analytical standpoint.

What episodes of show get unfairly bashed in your opinion and why?

• Brohoof 6

I agree with you & @Vulon Bii@Rarity the Supreme.

"Magical Mystery Cure" is my favorite episode in FiM & the fact that it's *still* getting disliked so much is really quite sad.

I would also say "Spike at Your Service",  another Season 3 episode that isn't really that bad &

certainly isn't deserving of all of the hate it gets, IMO.

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 8

6 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I would also say "Spike at Your Service",  another Season 3 episode that isn't really that bad &

I immediately thought of "Spike at Your Service" when I saw the thread title. I wouldn't consider it one of the best episodes in the series, but I think it has many funny moments:

• Rainbow Dash's reaction to the rock tower
  • Pinkie Pie's mustache
  • Spike's dragon song
  • Applejack playing the damsel in distress (my favorite moment in the episode)

While there are no MLP episodes that I actually hate, I can think of several that I've enjoyed less than "Spike at Your Service".

• Brohoof 5

1 minute ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I agree with you & @Vulon Bii@Rarity the Supreme.

"Magical Mystery Cure" is my favorite episode in FiM & the fact that it's *still* getting disliked so much is really quite sad.

I would also say "Spike at Your Service" which is another Season 3 episode that I rewatched recently that isn't really that bad &

Spike At Your Service gets a lot of hate because of how bizarrely Spike is written. Spike is always portrayed as capable and snarky, while also being level headed. Spike at Your Service turns him into a clueless clutz for the sake of the plot.

Princess Spike is a better example of an overhated Spike episode to me, since Spike was more in character. It just gets a lot of hate since it involves Spike messing up again, which always seems like a silly complaint to me in a show that’s key formulae is to have a character learn a lesson.

Party Pooped is another episode I don’t get the hate for. We have Twilight trying her hoof at diplomacy, which was something I really wanted to see her do. We have two of my favorite jokes in the series, Pinkies secret party planning cave and Twilight is scared of quesadillas. The moral was a bit awkward, but that wasn’t enough to ruin the episode for me.

• Brohoof 5

5 minutes ago, ShootingStar159 said:

Party Pooped is another episode I don’t get the hate for. We have Twilight trying her hoof at diplomacy, which was something I really wanted to see her do. We have two of my favorite jokes in the series, Pinkies secret party planning cave and Twilight is scared of quesadillas. The moral was a bit awkward, but that wasn’t enough to ruin the episode for me.

I really like this episode, TBH. 

Another episode I just thought of is my favorite episode from the 1st Season "Look Before You Sleep" which, a lot of people hate for being "Too girly."

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 3

Everyone who knows me knows I would say the episodes I think are getting too much hate are (at the top of my head)

Flutter Brutter: Yes I agree that Fluttershy's brother was a jerk in the first part, but unlike worse jerks, he actually realizes he needs to get better and becomes more identifiable as the episode goes on, at least for me. There's even a fanmade video called "Pushing Rainbows" with Rainbow Dash and a Fanfic called "Never Made Much of Myself" co-staring Sunburst that both show that his character development is sticking. Plus the lesson of "Sometimes, You have to do things, even though you might fail" and the song is something I bet a lot of people can and should be able to relate to.

Fame and Misfortune: First of all, I'm okay with the background ponies being jerks only because to me, as background ponies they can play the role or jerk or innocent bystanders that everyone comes across in their real lives. They played their parts well of showing the negative Fan Dumb that exists in EVERY Fandom, not just MLP.  Second, this episode does give me an opportunity to want to add a little more positivity at the end. Maybe in addition to the two fillies at the end, I as Will Guide could show and tell the Mane 6 how their Friendship Journal and the "episodes" they've been through has made me a lot more positive than negative. Such as the aforementioned episode with Fluttershy's brother. And third, that song about not being flawless was most excellent.

• Brohoof 3

5 minutes ago, GeekySonic said:

Slice of Life, if you ask me. My favorite episode of season 5, one of my favorite episodes overall. It perplexes me that it's hated so much. Oh well. I still have fun when I watch it.

If you don't mind me asking this, why do you like it so much? 

16 minutes ago, ShootingStar159 said:

Spike At Your Service gets a lot of hate because of how bizarrely Spike is written. Spike is always portrayed as capable and snarky, while also being level headed. Spike at Your Service turns him into a clueless clutz for the sake of the plot.

Portraying characters differently for the sake of the plot seems to happen a few times in the series (such as a lot of ponies suddenly being jerks towards Fluttershy in "Putting Your Hoof Down"). Though FIM has a lot of continuity for a cartoon, I think this might be an effect of the show still being episodic.

Maybe Spike was just having a bad day (sometimes even the simplest tasks are inexplicably hard to do). Though he did manage to do the things he wasn't supposed to do (counting grass and building a rock tower). :wat:

17 minutes ago, GeekySonic said:

Slice of Life, if you ask me. My favorite episode of season 5, one of my favorite episodes overall. It perplexes me that it's hated so much. Oh well. I still have fun when I watch it.

For some reason, "Slice of Life" seems to be a really divisive episode (possibly more than any other). A lot of people consider it either one of the best episodes or one of the worst. It's surprising considering how popular the background ponies are in the fandom. I like it myself (it's one of my favorites in season 5).

• Brohoof 2

I would say "Just for Sidekicks". A lot of people hated it for how annoying/immature Spike was being, but I thought it was awesome to get an episode that focused on the pets of the mane 6. The pets have their own unique characteristics which was pretty fun to see.

Though I guess people don't talk about it as much these days since it was all the way back in season 3 (and didn't significantly change the show's direction like Magical Mystery Cure did). :mustache: 

49 minutes ago, Yamet said:

Mysterious Mare Do Well. 

I've never understood why everyone hates it so. Sure, it wasn't the best episode ever but it's not even close to the worst. 

People hate it because of how hypocritical the rest of the mane 6 were being: they tried to tell RD that showing off is bad by showing off themselves. That being said, I enjoyed the episode the first time I watched it. :) 

• Brohoof 4

2 minutes ago, SparkliciousSwirls said:

People hate it because of how hypocritical the rest of the mane 6 were being: they tried to tell RD that showing off is bad by showing off themselves. 

If I recall correctly the mane six say something along the lines of "it's okay to show off as long as you don't overdo it" though. So I don't really see how they were being hypocritical.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Tacodidra said:

For some reason, "Slice of Life" seems to be a really divisive episode (possibly more than any other). A lot of people consider it either one of the best episodes or one of the worst. It's surprising considering how popular the background ponies are in the fandom. I like it myself (it's one of my favorites in season 5).

The ones who hate Slice of Life so much are people who either never cared for the background ponies, or self-proclaimed critics who haven't learned to enjoy something that was made purely for fun.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Yamet said:

If I recall correctly the mane six say something along the lines of "it's okay to show off as long as you don't overdo it" though. So I don't really see how they were being hypocritical.

I think it's more along the lines of how the only reason they wanted to help out so much was to show off to RD (and not help for the sake of helping). I mean some people might consider that "overdoing it", but I dunno.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Yamet said:

If you don't mind me asking this, why do you like it so much? 

I just thought it was funny. Plus, I didn't actually know most of the Brony jokes stuffed in there, so it was like a treat for me to discover them later.

• Brohoof 2

14 hours ago, Tacodidra said:

I immediately thought of "Spike at Your Service" when I saw the thread title. I wouldn't consider it one of the best episodes in the series, but I think it has many funny moments:

• Rainbow Dash's reaction to the rock tower
  • Pinkie Pie's mustache
  • Spike's dragon song
  • Applejack playing the damsel in distress (my favorite moment in the episode)

While there are no MLP episodes that I actually hate, I can think of several that I've enjoyed less than "Spike at Your Service".

I agree those four scenes are worthwhile to see, but it's just too painful for me to see Spike act like a subservient buffoon for the sake of the plot. Spike is much better when he's a bit stubborn, especially when the stubbornness is exemplified by a cynical attitude. I admit he's stubborn in a way in this episode because he won't give up his Dragon Code, but we don't understand why he's so stubborn about it either because the episode fails to explain where it came from in the first place.

14 hours ago, ShootingStar159 said:

Princess Spike is a better example of an overhated Spike episode to me, since Spike was more in character. It just gets a lot of hate since it involves Spike messing up again, which always seems like a silly complaint to me in a show that’s key formulae is to have a character learn a lesson.

This one has issues deeper than Spike messing up again, though. Instead of Spike being the incompetent one like he was in "Service", it is all of the delegates (and to some extent, Princess Cadance) who are all incompetent, helpless ponies for the sake of the plot. It's also painful for me to see this one because of all the garbage Spike has to put up with, and that terrible last-minute swipe at him at the very end really put an exclamation point on why this episode is disliked so much.

I agree though that "Magical Mystery Cure" and "Slice of Life" get way more hate than they deserve, especially considering the extenuating circumstances involving their geneses.

Edited by Truffles
  • Brohoof 1

If we just count initial reactions to than I would go with the first Equestria Girls movie.

I know it is a movie and not an episode, but in my time in the fandom nothing compares to the scathing hatred and intense drama that came about as a result of it.

And to be honest, I don't think I will forgive the fandom for their actions during this time either, given how the show staff called people out for sending death threats to them due to the movie's announcement, yet people have still continued to harass and send death threats to the staff members of a show about pastel colored horses designed to sell toys to children even afterwards.

I would also have to say that even if it isn't the best thing in the world, I would still rather watch it again over several episodes that came from FiM.

• Brohoof 3

15 hours ago, Rarity the Supreme said:

But are there any episodes that you feel are the subject of too much disdain among the community

No, because I don't care if a group hates an episode I like, or loves an episode I hate. I don't mind being an audience of one if need be since I require no validation, save my own conclusion, on that I enjoy or don't enjoy. 

• Brohoof 2

28 Pranks Later. I feel like part of a very small minority who likes that episode and thinks of it as an improved version of Mare Do Well rather than an even worse rehash. Yeah, we see Rainbow Dash regress back to her more immature self, but I find the whole episode more fun and entertaining than Mare Do Well. Would've been an awesome Halloween episode.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Prospektlicious said:

28 Pranks Later. I feel like part of a very small minority who likes that episode and thinks of it as an improved version of Mare Do Well rather than an even worse rehash. Yeah, we see Rainbow Dash regress back to her more immature self, but I find the whole episode more fun and entertaining than Mare Do Well. Would've been an awesome Halloween episode.

I think the reason why me and so many others hate it is because for most of us it tries to be a fast paced funny episode and it just isn't funny at all. In my opinion at least.

Spike at your Service is one of the funniest episodes in the show

Honestly never really got why Rainbow Falls was hated as much as it was. I mean it's not that good of an episode, it's heavily flawed, but it had good intentions, and there are much much worse out there...Speaking of which

On 2017-12-27 at 12:34 PM, Ryanmahaffe said:

I think the reason why me and so many others hate it is because for most of us it tries to be a fast paced funny episode and it just isn't funny at all. In my opinion at least.

I hate because it blatantly bastardizes the whole cast for the sake of its crappy zombie gimmick

Edited by Megas

23 hours ago, Yamet said:

Mysterious Mare Do Well. 

I've never understood why everyone hates it so. Sure, it wasn't the best episode ever but it's not even close to the worst. 

I think it had to start with Boast Busters. Similar lesson concept about boasting. That had its own problems and fans who didn't like the way some of the Mane 6 heckled Trixie.

29 minutes ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

Honestly never really got why Rainbow Falls was hated as much as it was. I mean it's not that good of an episode, it's heavily flawed, but it had good intentions, and there are much much worse out there...Speaking of which

I never really got why the writers purposely had the Wonderbolts look bad in front of Rainbow Dash. It seemed rather convincing Rainbow Dash should no longer continue to try to join them if they're terrible ponies. Another thing is that Rainbow Dash was digging her own hole but she didn't need Twilight Sparkle was reminding her of the obligations but came off as guilt tripping to me.

Edited by Singe

Most of Newbie Dash is okay with me. The sequence where Dash imitated all her friends' mannerisms was the funniest and best part

Honestly, the only problem I had with Newbie Dash is why didn't Rainbow Dash just tell the Wonderbolts about how she hates the nickname Rainbow Crash within the first act? If she did the Bolts could have told her that they ALL have embarrassing nicknames from their first day, then the rest of the plot that everyone is angry about could have been more what they wanted to see.

Personally, I'm fine with how it is. But now, I also know how it could have been better. 

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 1