Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Excessive Video Gaming Will Soon be Recognized as a Mental Disorder by the World Health Organization

Courageous Thunder Dash

Isn't the keyword here "excessive gaming"?

I already had a debate with my sister, who comes from the academia of psychology and anthropology, about this yesterday. As she described it to me, "addiction" is a mental disorder which the DSM states (according to her). 

Jeric already provided the symptoms of such addiction. When it starts to impair your every normal day life, your social life, your ability to work, your ability to provide for yourself and interact. When you shut yourself away from the world when something else becomes the new real world for you. 

I'm sure that this WHO statement is not going after people specifically but is raising awareness to a particular issue that does exist. Sure some parents will use this as an opportunity to lessen some gaming for others who would not specifically qualify as being addicted, but that is not a bad or an unhealthy thing ;) Enjoy the sunshine :)

Gaming will be fine. 

• Brohoof 4

5 minutes ago, JonasDarkmane said:

Isn't the keyword here "excessive gaming"?

I already had a debate with my sister, who comes from the academia of psychology and anthropology, about this yesterday. As she described it to me, "addiction" is a mental disorder which the DSM states (according to her). 

Jeric already provided the symptoms of such addiction. When it starts to impair your every normal day life, your social life, your ability to work, your ability to provide for yourself and interact. When you shut yourself away from the world when something else becomes the new real world for you. 

I'm sure that this WHO statement is not going after people specifically but is raising awareness to a particular issue that does exist. Sure some parents will use this as an opportunity to lessen some gaming for others who would not specifically qualify as being addicted, but that is not a bad or an unhealthy thing ;) Enjoy the sunshine :)

Gaming will be fine. 

I dont belive it.

since i used to follow stuff like the who and politicians, they are masters of telling you "oh, its gonna be this, everythints going to be fine" and turn into a catastrophy the next month.

i mean, video games can be addictive. But i wont stand for is the constant scrutiny the industry goes over.

first we have "video games are satan" then we moved onto "video games cause violence!" And now we have "excessive video games are a mental disorder!"

you know whats a mental disorder? ADHD, schizophrenea, Dissosiative Identity, PTSD, Anxiety, anorexia. These are mental disorders.

just because a person has 20 hours in PUBG doesnt mean he had a disorder. I think WHO has overstepped some boundaries.

although wno knows i could be making something out of nothing.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Fennekin said:

first we have "video games are satan" then we moved onto "video games cause violence!" And now we have "excessive video games are a mental disorder!"

Yep, and what really came of it? :)

Just now, Fennekin said:

you know whats a mental disorder? ADHD, schizophrenea, Dissosiative Identity, PTSD, Anxiety, anorexia. These are mental disorders.

They are mental disorders as well, yes.

1 minute ago, Fennekin said:

just because a person has 20 hours in PUBG doesnt mean he had a disorder. I think WHO has overstepped some boundaries.

If it is 20 hours straight without pause, then it could be symptoms of addiction which would be a mental disorder. 

2 minutes ago, Fennekin said:

although wno knows i could be making something out of nothing.

That could be the case. All I am saying is, that we need not worry too much and should be more calm about it as to not provide any ammunition to those who would really like to see video gaming industry brought down. 

• Brohoof 2

9 minutes ago, Fennekin said:

These are mental disorders.

Addiction is also a mental disorder. Literally it is. You are compelled to continue doing something that is actively hurting you.

If hypothetical person has clocked hours and hours into a game, but is still getting enough food, sleep, not missing school/work, and generally taking care of themselves (and their kids/pets if they have them), then they are not an addict.

I played Breath of the Wild the other day for like 8 hours straight until 4 in the morning. I still got up, bathed myself, and got to work on time, and then came home and went to bed at a decent hour. That is not an addict.

Also honestly, some things in the gaming industry could use a little more scrutiny. LOOKING AT YOU GAMBLEFRONT II!!

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 6

Just now, JonasDarkmane said:

Yep, and what really came of it? :)

They are mental disorders as well, yes.

If it is 20 hours straight without pause, then it could be symptoms of addiction which would be a mental disorder. 

That could be the case. All I am saying is, that we need not worry too much and should be more calm about it as to not provide any ammunition to those who would really like to see video gaming industry brought down. 

Just now, ShadOBabe said:

Addiction is also a mental disorder. Literally it is. You are compelled to continue doing something that is actively hurting you.

If hypothetical person has clocked hours and hours into a game, but is still getting enough food, sleep, not missing school/work, and generally taking care of themselves, then they are not an addict.

I played Breath of the Wild the other day for like 8 hours straight until 4 in the morning. I still got up, bathed myself, and got to work on time, and then came home and went to bed at a decent hour. That is not an addict.

Also honestly, some things in the gaming industry could use a little more scrutiny. LOOKING AT YOU GAMBLEFRONT II!!

youre right. Im overreacting. Addiction is a problem. Im just sick of people coming from the woodworks and saying "oh, you like to do something a lot? Congratulations, you officially have a mental disorder!"

I am mentally stable, i dont want people to call me mentally ill because of this.

• Brohoof 4

Just now, Fennekin said:

youre right. Im overreacting. Addiction is a problem. Im just sick of people coming from the woodworks and saying "oh, you like to do something a lot? Congratulations, you officially have a mental disorder!"

I am mentally stable, i dont want people to call me mentally ill because of this.

I understand the feeling, but even then they might not be doing so out of bad faith. Could be quite the contrary in the fact. A mental disorder does not necessarily have to be very stigmatized. For instance, I have ADHD and I am quite sure I also suffer from paranoia or some form of that. My family is rife with mental disorders ranging from bipolar to depression to addiction and OCD. 

Sometimes it can be good to know what you are dealing with so you can better handle it and work with it ;):)

1 minute ago, JonasDarkmane said:

I understand the feeling, but even then they might not be doing so out of bad faith. Could be quite the contrary in the fact. A mental disorder does not necessarily have to be very stigmatized. For instance, I have ADHD and I am quite sure I also suffer from paranoia or some form of that. My family is rife with mental disorders ranging from bipolar to depression to addiction and OCD. 

Sometimes it can be good to know what you are dealing with so you can better handle it and work with it ;):)

I understand.

but my fear is ill end up being sent to the loonybin just because i spend ten hours on roblox. (It kills time, okay?)

however excessive tv isnt a mental disorder, gotta catch up on those game of thrones episodes (thats a joke, dont worry about it)

• Brohoof 2

You should probably read more than the headline before making a thread next time. 

If you had done that then you would have know that WHO doesn't care about gaming in and of itself. What they want to be recognized as a mental disorder is playing so games so much that you start having serious problem in real life because of it. 

• Brohoof 5

23 minutes ago, Fennekin said:

but my fear is ill end up being sent to the loonybin

You don’t understand much how mental illness is actually regarded, do you Fen?

The “loonybin”, aka. a mental hospital, is exclusively for people who are at immediate risk of hurting/killing themselves or others. In other words, rare, extreme cases. And they aren’t like friggin’ Arkham Asylum. That’s comic book fantasy. Most mental illness is treated with self management and therapy and occasionally medications.

Please stop having over the top freak outs about things that will never happen. People don’t get sent to “loonybins” (gross term, btw) for addictions. And unless you’re letting your life fall apart so you can play Roblox or video games, you don’t even have an addiction.

• Brohoof 4

Wait.... WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, C. Thunder Dash said:

So while watching the news this morning, I witnessed possibly the most I don't know what to call this news of all time. The World Health Organization will soon recognize "excessive video gaming" as a mental disorder. For me, as an avid gamer, this is a major insult to the gaming community. By doing this, the WHO will essentially cause a huge storm of discrimination and bigotry on the gaming community. We like to play video games simply because it's entertaining and it helps us de-stress. Others argue that it "keeps us away from society" and that "it always becomes an addiction", and other sort of Starlight Glimmer philosophies. I bet you this thread is gonna blow up sooner or later...

Links: https://www.usnews.com/news/health-care-news/articles/2017-12-26/excessive-video-gaming-to-be-named-mental-disorder-by-who

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/excessive-gaming-could-become-a-mental-disorder/article/2644377

Who is The Who anyway? 

And I agree with ya 100%

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Mlppotterwhoovian said:

Who is The Who anyway? 

And I agree with ya 100%

WHO is acronym for World Health Organization!

To be fair, I don't think the gaming addiction should be seen as a disorder, but rather the term *addiction* should be considered a disorder more because people can get addicted to so many things, don't get me started on how I can get addicted to daydreaming.

But then again, we should also consider on what level of addiction, like some of you said, not every level can be considered an addiction, I personally do see myself to a somewhat computer addict.

11 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

You don’t understand much how mental illness is actually regarded, do you Fen?

The “loonybin”, aka. a mental hospital, is exclusively for people who are at immediate risk of hurting/killing themselves or others. In other words, rare, extreme cases. And they aren’t like friggin’ Arkham Asylum. That’s comic book fantasy. Most mental illness is treated with self management and therapy and occasionally medications.

Please stop having over the top freak outs about things that will never happen. People don’t get sent to “loonybins” (gross term, btw) for addictions. And unless you’re letting your life fall apart so you can play Roblox or video games, you don’t even have an addiction.

Fennekin was just making a joke, right, @Fennekin.

29 minutes ago, Mlppotterwhoovian said:

Oh... I thought it was an insult to me 

still agree with @C. Thunder Dash 100%

You should probably read the other comments in the thread. Many of us have already covered why the impotent shaking of our fists in rage is silly and unnecessary.

28 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

Fennekin was just making a joke, right, @Fennekin.

It’s a tacky joke, if that’s the case.

It’s not the end of the world for a person to have a mental disorder. I have one, and I’m doing just fine.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Gestum said:

You should probably read more than the headline before making a thread next time. 

If you had done that then you would have know that WHO doesn't care about gaming in and of itself. What they want to be recognized as a mental disorder is playing so games so much that you start having serious problem in real life because of it. 

You have said the words of wisdom, now all we need to do is walk into Mordor X3

You guys realize that if you are American you have nothing to worry about anyway. The only current DSM-5 diagnosis for non-substance addiction disorder is gambling. Anytime a specific thing is considered, the APA usually passes on adding it. Anything like a general addiction usually goes through a specific treatment plan based around CBT and PDA based behavior concepts, with some anxiety meds that would help someone deal with changing patterns.

The APA is looking at research for other items like internet and gaming addictions, but again that only will happen when a satisfactory treatment efficacy is shown. Beyond publications in PLOS, clinicians are left to try various approaches based around behavior modification. Oh, and many actually use gaming for treatment for some disorders unrelated to addiction. 

Here is a fun study. Just saying, there isn't a lot of attacking of gaming from mental health professionals. 

• Brohoof 1

I realize when the other side starts to sound like extremists themselves. 

To keep this short, don't worry and don't freak out. This also extends to those who DEUS VULT their way to try and convince others of not freaking out. There are better ways. 

Spoiler

687474703a2f2f70696e6b69652e6d796c697474

• Brohoof 1

25 minutes ago, JonasDarkmane said:

To keep this short, don't worry and don't freak out. This also extends to those who DEUS VULT their way to try and convince others of not freaking out. There are better ways.

If this is directed towards me, then spare me. I’m not going to go easy on someone who is says they fear going to a mental hospital because they really like Roblox and video games.

That’s simply nonsense and I’m not in the mood for it.

1 hour ago, Mlppotterwhoovian said:

Who is The Who anyway? 

And I agree with ya 100%

Question, what exactly is wrong with classifying gaming addiction as a mental disorder? Surely, you can't think that gaming so much that your normal life suffer as a result is healthy? 

• Brohoof 1

13 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

If this is directed towards me, then spare me. I’m not going to go easy on someone who is says they fear going to a mental hospital because they really like Roblox and video games.

That’s simply nonsense and I’m not in the mood for it.

Directed at everyone. 

As nonsensical as it is, it is nothing to get riled over either. No one is ever "in a mood" for anything though, are they? Formalities do go a long way.

No one ever has to go easy on anyone though, that is your choice of approach in the end.