Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Earl Grey Ghost

We have all know, that Twilight is now an Alicorn. Yay's all around, she has been made a Princess. It has also been established that Princess Celestia and Princess Luna are thousands of years old. Which makes sense that now Twilight has the ability to live longer, and her longevity is thanks to her newfound/given Alicorn powers/magic.

So that begs the question:

What will happen to her friends? Obviously she will outlive her friends, so what does that mean for the Princes of Friendship? What will happen when the rest of the Mane 5, and holders of the remaining Elements of Harmony, die? She became the Princess of Friendship not only by her own merit (of course) but by the aid of her friends. So as she grows in power as an Alicorn Princess, and outlives the other Element holders, what happens?

My theory is that after the other 5 pass away, she will sort of... absorb them. Not their souls per say, but the Embodiment of their Element, so she is able to use all the powers of the Elements herself without the others. Makes sense as she grows more in power and again, outlives the other 5. They are the ones who helped her reach her transformation to Princess-hood, but after their passing will continue to serve her in the form of their spiritual embodiment of the Elements. Which in turn would logically make sense that Twilight Sparkle would reach the zenith of her Princess Alicorn magical powers, and thus be on the same level as Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. At the very least, the level of Princess Cadence. She could continue to serve as the Princess of Friendship and (IMO) Diplomacy, now able to access each Element now stored within her from the souls of her passed-on friends.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Momento Mori
  • Brohoof 2

This is a very intriguing headcannon that instantly made me think about the other princesses, particularly Celestia's (and Luna's) ability to use the elements by herself/themselves.  This theory would also bring new depth into Nightmare Moon and how Luna was affected by the corruption.  This is definitely something to think on.

I am not sure that the premise is necessarily true.

Of the Alicorn princesses in the show, we knew two were extremely long lived if not immortal from the very first episode. Cadence was introduced later, but if we are to believe the comics, is around Shiny's age, and of course Twi's ascention and the birth of Flurry Heart are even more recent (a couple of years at most)

We also know that the six Elements, while originally wielded by Celestia and Luna, are actually represented by and bound to the mane 6; further, we know that the only symbols on the Tree of Harmony other than the six Elements are... Celestia and Luna.

So an alternate formulation would be that the Tree itself is sustaining the Sisters, and will do so for the Mane 6 also; that is bad news for Cadence, in one respect (in that she isn't on the tree, so will have a normal pony lifetime) but isn't so bad in another (in that she won't have to watch her husband age and die while she remains unchanged, not to mention any future children she has that may not be born Alicorns)

NOWHERE in the show did they ever say Alicorns are Immortal. I'm getting sick of that seeing that belief everywhere like it's fact. If Alicorns can be born like Flurry Heart, then they have to be able to die eventually. Even in mythology, creatures that can be reborn like phoenixes have things that can permanently kill them. If Everyone was immortal, eventually the universe couldn't hold all of us who are born.

3 minutes ago, Brony Wannabe said:

In the comics, Cadence was already an Alicorn when she was in high school with Shining Armor. So maybe Celestia and Luna are exceptions because they have to raise the sun and moon?

Yeah, and in a chapter book, Twilight and the Crystal Heart Spell, it's revealed that Cadance started out as a Pegasus, but gained an Unicorn horn by doing something incredible.

Also, remember that there WAS a time when the sun and moon had to be raised by a group of Unicorns long before Celestia and Luna took the job. Rewatch "Heartswarming Eve" from Season 2.

Edited by WiiGuy2014
Added more

Yes, I personally do not believe Alicorns immortal, they just live a very long time. We again, already know that Celestia and Luna are over 1,000 years old, so one is to assume that Alicorns can reach a great age. However , I was always curious about how Cadence got her ascension. I am not as up-to-date on the comics as I would like to be. But I digress---on the subject at hoof, I would say that logically it would make sense for Twilight to live much longer.  As for FlurryHeart, while I despise the character, I believe she was created to sort of 'shake up' the mythos. If Alicorns can be born, but are very rare, then again they must be imbued with a lot of magical power that, again, lengthens their life. Some are born Alicorns, some have to attain it by great power and deed.

I still wonder though. It makes you think.

• Brohoof 1

@Momento Mori

Why do you despise Flurry Heart? I always believe she has a ability to tell if ponies have good intentions or not. After all she showed no fear to Thorax the Changeling both when he was in disguise and as himself.

Edited by WiiGuy2014

1 hour ago, ggg-2 said:

Twilight will not outlive her friends. The writers have been saying this for years.

Have they? Where at? I'd love to read it.

3 hours ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

@Momento Mori

Why do you despise Flurry Heart? I always believe she has a ability to tell if ponies have good intentions or not. After all she showed no fear to Thorax the Changeling both when he was in disguise and as himself.

I mean the abilities are handy, but overall the character is just a big pain in the tail. Like, overly so. There's nothing cute about her. Not her look, not her attitude. And I get it, she's a baby, but PoundCake and PumpkinCake are a bit of a handful sure, but a lot more likable. Mostly because they are just not as horridly destructive and annoying.

@Momento Mori

Give her time! She only had two episodes. And in Flurry of emotions, she actually tries to do the right thing with the Cakes twins fighting over a toy by getting Spike and Twilight's help and she genuinely tried to stop the twins arguing herself, even if it backfired. Please give her at least some credit for actually doing something instead of nothing at all.

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 1

Oh I've seen that episode. Sorry, I just don't think I'm a fan of her. I didn't care for her in that episode either, especially after all the mayhem she caused. I hope she grows up a bit in the next season and she won't be so hard like. It probably doesn't help that I'm also not a fan of children in general and don't particularly have the patience to understand the weird, silly stupid things they do. Lol.

8 minutes ago, Momento Mori said:

Oh I've seen that episode. Sorry, I just don't think I'm a fan of her. I didn't care for her in that episode either, especially after all the mayhem she caused. I hope she grows up a bit in the next season and she won't be so hard like. It probably doesn't help that I'm also not a fan of children in general and don't particularly have the patience to understand the weird, silly stupid things they do. Lol.

Thanks for being calm with your reply. I was worried that I might have started an Avalanche of Angry Arguing with you. Your reply explains a lot. 

So no hard feelings?

It's a good and well-thought out theory. I like it. When you say she "absorbs the embodiment of their elements," does that mean she absorbs the elements entirely? 

It makes me wonder if Twilight, sometime in the future, will pass on the Elements of Harmony to a new generation, a new group of ponies like the Mane 6. 

Edited by JH24

It wasn't stated in-show, but it has been mentioned that alicorn-born ponies aren't immortal, just long lived. The same doesn't seem to apply with ponies not born alicorn, as it has been denied the theory of Twi out-living her friends, and Cadance being a teen in a flashback while being an adult in the present. Supplementary media mentions Cadance being born pegasus, which wasn't stated in-show, but it was clear she wasn't born alicorn in the Crystaling 

• Brohoof 1

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:39 PM, Momento Mori said:

She is under 2 years old. Since she can't talk yet, possibly under 1. Give her time. There's a reason they're called "the Terrible Twos" IRL

Hmm.

I kinda don’t like to think about this, but when I do, I like to approach it thematically. Celestia and Luna are both tied to celestial objects, so perhaps their lives are intertwined with those, whereas Cadance and Twilight are instead tied to ever-shifting relationships. That could support the idea that they will outlive their friends and spouses, but alternatively it could also support the idea that these roles are instead passed on, with other ponies to prove themselves worthy of the titles later. 

Nonetheless, I do believe the Elements are passed on, because they’re powered by friendship, so I dunno if it makes sense for Twilight to just take them all for herself. There’s something to be said about harmony within oneself, but it just seems more appropriate for the Princess of Friendship to always find new friends. That is, if she’s longer-lived at all.