Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Features you would alter or remove entirely in specific games

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

Sometimes good games are tainted by a bad feature or one that isn't up to its full potential. Depending on what it is and how badly it is implemented, it can bring down the gaming experience a few notches. What owuld be some examples of features you would either change for the better or simply remove entirely form specific games?

The thing that inspired this thread for me, is the 'Freshness system' from Splatoon 2. This feature, to me, is garbage. How it works is simple: You use a weapon, it has a freshness rating. As you use it, getting wins will take it up by 1 point. Losing takes it down by 0.5. Getting it to increments of 5 will grant you a lot of bonus XP. Here's why this idea sucks: It relies on consistent wins. You have to keep getting wins or else it is pointless. The least you can do is 1 win 1 loss, but any subsequent losses in a row will impact the rating. This not only seems incredibly stupid because it depends on your entire team to obtain wins, but it also makes losses more frustrating. It is bad enough that you get the shitty music and the animations of your character signifying that you suck, and with this system, you also get to lose progress on something too. How fun. After several losses in a row, I just give up on the game for the rest of the day. This system is shit and rather than altering it, I would get just omit it from the game entirely.

• Brohoof 2

the drop mechanic in kingdom hearts 3D.

basically, you have two characters (Sora and Riku) and during the course of the game, you have a certain amount of time for each character before you "drop" to switch to the next character.

heres why it sucks: If you happen to drop during a boss, and switch back to that character, said boss will regain ALL OF HIS HEALTH, so if you get the boss down to his last bit of hp, and drop, BANG he has all his health again. The only way to mprevfent this is to waste one of your precious command slots for drop me nots/drop me nevers.

In GTA V, if your Stamina isn't 100/100, you'll lose Health (and eventually fall down) from Sprinting too much.

At worst, you should just be unable to Sprint until you recover.

Edited by Orcus on His Throne

Just now, A.V. said:

Losing Health (and eventually falling on your face) from Sprinting too much (unless your Stamina is 100/100) in GTA V.

At worst, you should simply be unable to Sprint until you recover.

Wait, that happens? O_o I guess I forgot about it, but that sounds as stupid as the tripping 'mechanic' from Smash Bros. Brawl. To quote AVGN, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

6 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

@Kyoshi

Hmmmmm.....

Does it have to be REMOVED? Can it be an Anti-frustration feature that should be added instead?

I am not entirely sure how to could be altered for the better. I saw one suggestion elsewhere that making it a point requirement per match would work, but I am still not sure. I get what they are going for with the feature itself, but for a game that doesn't emphasize hardcore competition outside of its ranked mode, I really don't see the point to the features existence as it is now.

Just now, Kyoshi said:

I am not entirely sure how to could be altered for the better. I saw one suggestion elsewhere that making it a point requirement per match would work, but I am still not sure. I get what they are going for with the feature itself, but for a game that doesn't emphasize hardcore competition outside of its ranked mode, I really don't see the point to the features existence as it is now.

My first post was asking in general, not a specific game. So sadly your response makes no sense to me. Honestly, I don't play competitive multiplayer, so I wouldn't be able to come up with a good answer. What about games intended for single-players? Have any suggestions there?

On 2018-01-01 at 2:51 PM, Fennekin said:

the drop mechanic in kingdom hearts 3D.

basically, you have two characters (Sora and Riku) and during the course of the game, you have a certain amount of time for each character before you "drop" to switch to the next character.

heres why it sucks: If you happen to drop during a boss, and switch back to that character, said boss will regain ALL OF HIS HEALTH, so if you get the boss down to his last bit of hp, and drop, BANG he has all his health again. The only way to mprevfent this is to waste one of your precious command slots for drop me nots/drop me nevers.

On top of the story already sucking, courtesy of shark-jumping everything into "Xehanort's Excellent Adventure."

Just now, A.V. said:

On top of the story already sucking because it shark-jumps everything into "Xehanort's Excellent Adventure."

Oh, i forgot the plot is basically JoJo's bizzare adventure Kingdom Hearts version.

"oh look were dreams"

it was kinda understable, then xehanort is "BUCK YOUR LOGIC I HAVE TIME TRAVEL"

On 2018-01-01 at 3:05 PM, Fennekin said:

then xehanort is "BUCK YOUR LOGIC I HAVE TIME TRAVEL"

Not just that, but probably the most-complicated kind I've ever seen.

Especially compared to KH2's simple, interesting version. (Remember Timeless River?)

Just now, A.V. said:

Not just that, but probably the most-Complexity Addiction-y kind I've ever seen.

Especially in contrast to the interesting, simple version from KH2 (Remember Timeless River?).

i LOVED KH2 sora. Especially the personality he employed.

On 2018-01-01 at 2:57 PM, Kyoshi said:

but that sounds as stupid as the tripping 'mechanic' from Smash Bros. Brawl.

What was even the point? They already had Items for that (e.g., Banana Peels).

• Brohoof 2

On 2018-01-01 at 3:44 PM, Tacodidra said:

Blue shells in Mario Kart. I'm all for challenge but those are just unfair and frustrating. :glimmer:

They're also useless unless you're already in 2nd or something. In which case, you might as well just use a Red Shell anyway.

• Brohoof 1

The feature where I'm bad at it, every game

XP was changed in WWE 2k career mode to just having you buy your stats with in-game money that counts for every part of the game. It doesn't feel like I'm working on that specific character anymore if I have my money from everything else available to buy my stats.

Edited by memelicious

I think that's a good question. For me, well these are the games I would alter, remove, and/or change the features

Maple Story - Definitely events, exp bonus coupons, kanna's skill kishin, and frenzy totem equipment to be removed. some overpowered bosses, party play, and security measures needs to be altered. Seriously this game has no endgame contents and it's not even up to par as other MMORPGs and some bosses are overpowered and it's most likely that there are no lifers in this game and i'm pretty sure that nexon is just turning players into them like that. Party play is highly needed because there are supporting classes like beast tamer, bishops, phantoms, and kannas that are too fragile to grind with.

Yo-Kai watch wibble wobble - I would say that decreasing the drop rate on Rank A and below yo-kais and increasing drop rate on S, SS, and items from lucky / oni crank-a-kai, and increasing befriending rate needs to be changed. I'm really getting sick and tired with all the same and useless Rank A and below yo-kais and I haven't gotten anything good. Using treats and yo-kais with charm isn't letting me befriend the yo-kai I wanted to get and the befriending rate isn't enough to get the yo-kais I wanted.

Pokémon Duel - I would say that the timed boosters, drop rate on EX pokemon figures need to be altered, and certain overpowered pokemon needs to be altered. The reasons? well I hate to do league matches every time when I open 1 timed boosters even in team matches. As of overpowered pokemon goes, well it's just that tapu koko, combusken, blaziken, mega blaziken, mew, and rhyperior are hard to deal with. Tapu koko, well that melemele wish is what's making it hard to KO without rowlet or terrakion. Combusken, blaziken, and mega blaziken well it's that cyclone kick that's making it hard to KO without any good dmg on gold attacks like zapdos. if wheel size on gold attack, then that would be mew although X attack plate has to be applied. Mew is a lot harder to deal with because of hyper Sonic's effect which it prevents from being KO if the dmg is 100 or higher. Looking at the featured duels, there has been people using the same pokemon regardless of forms and evolutions so I would add a restriction on the same type of pokemon species regardless of forms and evolutions since I'm getting sick and tired with dueling opponents that has overpowered pokemon. AI tickets needs to be changed too. I'm carrying 999 AI tickets and it's useless for me to use them also it's a cheap way to win. It's only useful for beginners or people that are not on ultra rank or higher.

Edited by KirbyFluttershy

I can't stand the combat system in Ace Combat Assault Horizon. They should have stuck with what worked in the previous games, rather than tearing the combat mechanics + physics apart and starting from scratch. That was rectified in Assault Horizon Legacy, since it was a remake of Ace Combat 2, but I want a full-on current-gen console game with the classic combat mechanics. And I haven't played Ace Combat Infinity so I don't know how different it could be.

As for other games? Scrap EA's DLC-focused business model in Star Wars Battlefront 2 and instead take inspiration from the campaign and multi-player modes of the original Battlefront series from the mid-2000s.

I would rework the last couple of Paper Mario games to take place in more of an open world and to have the charm of the first 3 games in the series. They just feel a bit bland in comparison. Whereas the Mario & Luigi RPGs have instead been the ones to carry on that legacy.

I'd change how money is exchanged in GTA V. Players would get more money for completing jobs, and every in-game item is significantly reduced in price. A shirt for example, should not cost $10,000. A Vietnam era army helmet should not cost $50,000 I would also change how players obtain DLC content. Clothing can be bought with in-game money and is downloaded for free, but cars, houses and all that other shit can be bought as DLC packs. I would rather pay $7, give or take, for a bunch of cars that are given for free, than pay $2 million for a car that takes the rest of my life to save for.

Edited by Vulon Bii

Microtransactions!

As for something less obvious, in GTA I would remove explosive weapons, or at the very least make them extremely rare. Car chases are ruined by sticky bombs, shootouts are ruined by RPGs, flying is ruined by homing launchers and explosive snipers. It's just a mess that could easily be fixed.

The Stamina Gauge in Skyward Sword. Depleted way too quickly, and made basic movement an almost-chore.

At least it makes sense in Breath Of The Wild, not to mention that you can actually upgrade it this time.

The "Hollowing" mechanic in Dark Souls 2, where every time you die, you lose a fraction of your max health unless you consume a Human Effigy. Does it make sense in-universe? Yeah, since every time you die you lose a bit of yourself. Is it frustrating to incur a penalty for every death in a series with the tagline "Prepare To Die?" Also yes.

• Brohoof 1

Aside from loot boxes, micro transactions, the need for day one patches and locking in game content behind pay walls? 

I'm not a fan of any game that requires co-op or online play to progress or unlock certain features.

Also not a fan of how Dead Or Alive 5 required you to do move combo's in precise order for you to unlock characters, and did so in the middle of the story campaign.