Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A Problem with OC ponies

Diamond Dynamite???

This.  

58 users have voted

1. 1. Do you think your OC looks like it could be in the show?

• Yes!
    • Honestly, I don't care
    • No!

3 hours ago, Mystic Brush said:

THIS

Thank Celestia that wont happen next gen.

Also, people dismiss bat pony oc's with pastel colours can't be "real" ones. When in reality, we know almost nothing about them. I had to make my oc part pegasus so people wouldn't complain. Who even made that a rule anyway? *shrug*

Well, so far the 7 only seen bats in the show have darker shades of colors, but I don't why there can't be bats with brighter shades of colors like their non nocturnal counterparts. I mean, there ARE ponies with darker shades, there's nothing preventing for 'em bats to be brighter. Speaking of bats, isn't about time for them to get a major role in the show by now :unamused: ?

Exactly but, i dont think Gen 4 will ever touch on the bat pony subject. Which is sad.

Spoiler

In season 8, Twilight has a school of her own that accepts every race. Yet ironically no bat ponies in sight. It would be the perfect opportunity for them to be introduced this season since they apparently explore Equestria. 

Silica wouldn't be out of place as a minor one-shot character. Her appearance l isn't exactly all that interesting, but she has substantial Pie blood in her (which explains the gray) so she could be written into the show as Pinkie's cousin or something. Kind of like the multitude of Apple family members who debut in Apple Family Reunion and never appear again. :wacko:

• Brohoof 1

41 minutes ago, Mystic Brush said:

Exactly but, i dont think Gen 4 will ever touch on the bat pony subject. Which is sad.

Hide contents

In season 8, Twilight has a school of her own that accepts every race. Yet ironically no bat ponies in sight. It would be the perfect opportunity for them to be introduced this season since they apparently explore Equestria. 

Yeah, it's sad they went to one of the biggest fan demands, to actually forget they are canon. I mean, we got at least two lunar guards, and all of them sans Dashie  (you can tell by the tip of their ears) in Nightmare Moon's timeline. Man I think I've read glow in the dark toys somewhere, they better give me bats then :unamused:

• Brohoof 1

I personally find it too hard to make a good-looking show-accurate OC when basing it off a real person (like myself) so I opt for ponifying a personality or gimmick instead. So basically, don't make an OC of yourself, make a pony that would be interested in one or two things you're into, then imagine how a pony like that would dress up, or what colors match that feeling/aesthetic, and it might come out better.

If certain OCs look good, then its possible, though even Hasbro doesn't want to get seriously swamped with endless requests by their fans by shoving their OCs, good and bad, to be featured in MLP. And if it does happen, then the main plot gets seriously derailed and fans will start to grow tensions against one another.

• 2 years later...

Not really. I think the show doesn't allow too unique looking OCs. They need to look bland, recolored, and not be Alicorns, then they will fit right in! At least into the background.

• Brohoof 1

Pencil Pouch: Yes, she would fit perfectly

Granite Rose: Maybe, but he wouldn’t be allowed to have any visible scars

Thorns: Probably not. His motifs are a bit too mature for the show.

I have quite a few others but I won’t list them all. They would probably all fit cause I don’t try to make my characters look extreme or anything.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, I would say almost all of my OCs could totally be in the show. Both their designs and stories would work in the grand scheme of the show. I find OCs along these lines way more interesting and overall, easier to follow. Therefor, I try to keep almost all my OCs fun and relatable.

I personally much prefer pony OCs that look like they could appear in the show. I think it shows lots of creativity when somebody can make a unique OC that still fits the scope of the show. Color scheme, mane and tail designs, and clothing/accessories are three great ways to make a pony OC creative while still making sense. Plus, you can add unique little things like coat splotches and multicolored wings and still be show-accurate; since we've seen ponies with those little details in the show. I would just steer away from eye-straining color schemes and definitely steer far away from alicorns.

Same can be said about story. Don't get me wrong, you can have a detailed, vast, even a little wacky at times backstory for your OC. It's not to hard to believe that there is some wackiness going on in the magical land of colorful horses. I would just tell one to make sure the story could still be in the realm of the possible for Equestria. Now, if you'r OC is from an AU, that's a whole different story, but if your OC is meant to take place the show universe, or something close to it, then keep it somewhat structured.

An OC is about creativity

Having dark OC or whatever doesn't bother me. And anyway the villans can get pretty dark can't they. 

Even having an Over powered OC doesn't bother me so long as you can give a reasoning some ppl use them kinda like furries use fursona an idealised version of themselves and therefore go over the top or add things they like and not unnecessarily reflecting the show. And i gotta say I love the variety of OC. 

Plus too simple an OC and ur character looks exactly like an already existing one lol 

Just try not to make the colours to eye burning ;)

• 8 months later...

I honestly don’t really understand why the fandom decided to force rules upon OCs. I mean, yes. There are a few.. questionable and over the top ones, but I don’t get the whole thing with telling others what they can and can’t do. Especially when it comes to species we haven’t seen any others of.

I personally can’t see any of my characters (theoretically) ever making an appearance in the show, but that could just be me?

Spoiler

3C92EC54-0DB9-4EDF-841C-C189FCD52ED0.png.8df43a4b33e2f79b0e00aa30c3e0805f.pngA7A5EBCB-F8B5-4BB0-9087-ACB2FBA1F532.png.7bcab35f7e029bb20fe7fe0c6b3a4ffe.png

Fossil (the lilac one) looks like they’d fit in as a background character, but I. My personal opinion, I don’t think we should base the entire existence of an OC around whether they’d fit in or not.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

I did create a dark Alicorn while fooling around but I don’t like to go over the top with my creations. The one is Pony-Wash indulging my Firefly love but I like it better too when they fit in with the show characters. 

94DAEA8B-BDCA-4073-92AD-EC68FD337800.jpeg

AE7788CE-841F-4D8A-BDF8-03C0C17F382A.png

82F9BE1A-04CB-4F32-83C0-3245BF1DF460.jpeg

B01ACB3F-412D-42C3-A5E6-7BF0EA9E1B4F.jpeg