Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

GlitterMoon

Hi, I'm just wondering how cruelty free everypony is!

If you don't know what cruelty free is, it's basically a term for products not tested on animals!

Also, you don't have to be into makeup to be cruelty free, because skincare and toiletries can be tested on animals!

I'm also asking this question because I think it's important people are aware of this!

• Brohoof 1

I try my best to go cruelty-free but I still have a ways to go to be completely cruelty-free.  I'm still guilty of getting soaps and shampoos that aren't cruelty-free because of convenience.  I'm pretty grateful that etsy has a lot of cruelty-free stuff but the shipping costs can be pretty deterring!

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
3 hours ago, Thuja said:

I try my best to go cruelty-free but I still have a ways to go to be completely cruelty-free.  I'm still guilty of getting soaps and shampoos that aren't cruelty-free because of convenience.  I'm pretty grateful that etsy has a lot of cruelty-free stuff but the shipping costs can be pretty deterring!

I myself have gotten non cruelty free shampoo and soap, because here in Denmark there's not that much variety for cruelty free shampoo and soap, and when there is it's normally very pricey, but I normally buy Schwarzkopf, which is cruelty free and also affordable! I've also gotten some stuff on Etsy, including a nail polish, but you're right about shipping prices! Another thing I have struggle finding cruelty free is toothpaste!

Edited by NightmareLuna1996
  • Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, NightmareLuna1996 said:

I myself have gotten non cruelty free shampoo and soap, because here in Denmark there's not that much variety for cruelty free shampoo and soap, and when there is it's normally very pricey, but I normally buy Schwarzkopf, which is cruelty free!, and also affordable! I've also gotten some stuff on Etsy, including a nail polish, but you're right about shipping prices! Another thing I have struggle finding cruelty free is toothpaste!

I wish there was something that made companies state on their products whether they're cruelty-free or not instead of just on makeup!  

• Brohoof 4

3 minutes ago, Rainbow-The-Brony said:

I don't know if I use anything that's creulty free because nothing is labeled so over here!

Here's two guides that can hopefully help you: 

Brands that test:

https://www.crueltyfreekitty.com/companies-that-test-on-animals/

Brands that don't:

https://www.crueltyfreekitty.com/list-of-cruelty-free-brands/

There's also a bunch of other good guides and tips on that website!

• Brohoof 3

That website is very helpful, most of these companies don't put a disclaimer on their products that says they test on animals, especially in my country where these regulations are falling behind. It's hard sometimes to be completely cruelty free when you live in a big city I've noticed. 

Here's a funny article on the subject. :P 

Anyway, I don't wear makeup; as for the other products, I don't see a whole lot of cruelty-free labeled options where I shop and those that I do see are usually too expensive for me. But I will keep a look out. :) 

Edited by SparkliciousSwirls
  • Brohoof 2

Sorry to be a bummer, but I'm not very cruelty free, honestly. :(

And I don't think I could really go cruelty free, unless it doesn't cost that much, because me and my family don't really have that much money, and we can't really afford a lot of things right now.

• Brohoof 1

17 minutes ago, iNachos10 said:

Sorry to be a bummer, but I'm not very cruelty free, honestly. :(

And I don't think I could really go cruelty free, unless it doesn't cost that much, because me and my family don't really have that much money, and we can't really afford a lot of things right now.

It's okay, I understand, but there are cruelty free brands out there that are affordable, you just have to look for them! Also, at least you try to be, which is already great!

I actually have some guides for affordable products here:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/elenamgarcia/the-best-cheap-cruelty-free-beauty-products?utm_term=.helg0JEwmq#.gsomD9WbEX

https://www.crueltyfreekitty.com/skincare/cruelty-free-skincare-brands/

http://www.sheknows.com/beauty-and-style/articles/1108311/drugstore-cruelty-free-makeup-brands

https://www.peta.org/living/beauty/cruelty-free-beauty-brands-at-walmart/

I hope these will do!

• Brohoof 1

I'm not really sure, I don't like animals being abused and exploited but I don't see a great alternative. In my eyes its us or them, I'd rather have animal testing than a significant number of humans having to suffer due to a lack of testing. There's also the issue that removing animal testing would reduce the companies profits which could lead to human workers being laid off and becoming unemployed.

It's a difficult question because even if you are completely humans>animals it's still not a nice idea knowing that animals are being treated the way they are.

2 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

I'm not really sure, I don't like animals being abused and exploited but I don't see a great alternative. In my eyes its us or them, I'd rather have animal testing than a significant number of humans having to suffer due to a lack of testing. There's also the issue that removing animal testing would reduce the companies profits which could lead to human workers being laid off and becoming unemployed.

It's a difficult question because even if you are completely humans>animals it's still not a nice idea knowing that animals are being treated the way they are.

who said creulty free ment no testing, hire people WILLINGLY to test.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Rainbow-The-Brony said:

who said creulty free ment no testing, hire people WILLINGLY to test.

You wouldn't get enough, barely anybody would volunteer to be tested on. That's why it's such a big issue, the lack of proper alternatives. Another idea is to use prisoners but that may also not provide enough subjects and has issues when it comes to the falsely accused, which is the same reason the death sentence was outlawed in so many countries. 

16 hours ago, Battenberg said:

You wouldn't get enough, barely anybody would volunteer to be tested on. That's why it's such a big issue, the lack of proper alternatives. Another idea is to use prisoners but that may also not provide enough subjects and has issues when it comes to the falsely accused, which is the same reason the death sentence was outlawed in so many countries. 

Besides human volunteers, there are other alternatives, like EpiSkin, which is a lab grown skin that's extremely similar to the human skin, and cells, some cells are actually imported from slaughterhouses! 

If you're interested in learning more, I suggest this article: https://www.crueltyfreeinternational.org/why-we-do-it/alternatives-animal-testing

I kind of get why medical testing is necessary, because medicine is vital for humans, but I'm fully against cosmetic testing, because animals should not suffer because of human vanity!

• Brohoof 1

20 minutes ago, NightmareLuna1996 said:

Besides human volunteers, there are other alternatives, like EpiSkin, which is a lab grown skin that's extremely similar to the human skin, and cells, some cells are actually imported from slaughterhouses! 

If you're interested in learning more, I suggest this article: https://www.crueltyfreeinternational.org/why-we-do-it/alternatives-animal-testing

I kind of get why medical testing is necessary, because medicine is vital for humans, but I'm fully against cosmetic testing, because animals should not suffer because of human vanity!

I think some people would volenteer if the companies gave discounts on all of the cosmetics in that the company ownes!

• Brohoof 1