Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are most Bronies conservative?

ShadowSJG

One's priority is to make a working, interesting character that is more than a sum of their parts. SJWs have demonstrated time and time again their inability to create characters that are anything more than distasteful insert minority stereotypes oozing leftist propaganda. See, SJWs are not fighting for minorities or freedom. They are just fascists under a different name.

Now, I could write a whole bunch of reasons as to why AJ would not be a good urban black girl. Am I a Nazi? SJWs probably think so. I'm just too pale and heteronormative not to be one.

• Brohoof 5

Well, I seem to be one of the most centrist people as on every test I take I am either directly left or right of the line (usually a bit left, just depends on the test I guess), but I do usually tend to find more left leaning ones. Personally, I think your situation is more of one used against SJWs. I think MLP is very diverse and continues to be so in subtle ways without forcing it.

Though, while I find forced diversity in historical movies very annoying (because it's factually incorrect and basically lying), I think you should be allowed to do pretty much anything with diversity, I'd even go as far as saying if you're making a show with the main target audience being young, it should be diverse (including everyone, not just minorities) aslong as it doesn't insult a child's intelligence through hammering it in or pushing an agenda.

(Note: I don't know the exact context of what they were angry about)

4 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

One's priority is to make a working, interesting character that is more than a sum of their parts. SJWs have demonstrated time and time again their inability to create characters that are anything more than distasteful insert minority stereotypes oozing leftist propaganda. See, SJWs are not fighting for minorities or freedom. They are just fascists under a different name.

Now, I could write a whole bunch of reasons as to why AJ would not be a good urban black girl. Am I a Nazi? SJWs probably think so. I'm just too pale and heteronormative not to be one.

Alright, after hearing that example I'll need to read up some because that sounds like a forced minority which is dishonest to anyone that cares about the storyarch and the minorities themselves as it just finds a random spot to throw them in rather than actually being genuine and putting care into the character themselves.

12 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

Hmmmm, all this talk of forced diversity by conservatives just seems like whining to me.

You can also flip this around as 'whining about Conservatives' ;)

As for the topic itself in question, I ask, would it be a problem if most bronies were conservatives? 

I don't think most bronies are conservatives, but I don't think it matters even the slightest for a fandom. People can like the same thing yet have a completely different mindset. I like a puffin, another man likes a puffin. I like it grilled, the other guy likes it boiled. But in the end, it is the cook (Hasbro) who decides how it is cooked. Political ideology is not something that really defines this fandom. 

Does it really matter to you that others don't share your own opinion? I ask because I doubt their complaining will be taken up by Hasbro, even though I don't think their complaints are necessarily invalid (haven't seen leaks and won't look at leaks until the official release of episodes, so that I can judge for myself). 

Right winger btw ;)

Spoiler

mynd.jpg

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Twisted Cyclone said:

I think it's more half and half. Half of the people I see in the fandom are conservative and half aren't. And then you have those, like me, who could honestly care less about politics as a whole. 

When it comes to sitting down and enjoying a show, I think it is the right mindset to have :D 

• Brohoof 2

52 minutes ago, JonasDarkmane said:

You can also flip this around as 'whining about Conservatives' ;)

As for the topic itself in question, I ask, would it be a problem if most bronies were conservatives? 

I don't think most bronies are conservatives, but I don't think it matters even the slightest for a fandom. People can like the same thing yet have a completely different mindset. I like a puffin, another man likes a puffin. I like it grilled, the other guy likes it boiled. But in the end, it is the cook (Hasbro) who decides how it is cooked. Political ideology is not something that really defines this fandom. 

Does it really matter to you that others don't share your own opinion? I ask because I doubt their complaining will be taken up by Hasbro, even though I don't think their complaints are necessarily invalid (haven't seen leaks and won't look at leaks until the official release of episodes, so that I can judge for myself). 

Right winger btw ;)

*claps* Agree with all of this. Bravo mah dood.

However I am a bit puzzled about the eating of puffins bit. XD

• Brohoof 1

I'm center-left, but I'm actually not that far left from center and lean right on some subjects.  It took me a while to figure this out as the vocal right likes to come across as jerks and/or ignorant in a lot of cases for reasons unknown, but some research revealed that they're generally quite reasonable in their perspective on some issues.  For example, I'm adamant that climate change is a thing and there are a lot of scientific studies to back that up, but the right doesn't think introducing more and more carbon taxes is the solution and neither do I.  I just wish more people on the right would come out and say that instead of trying to come across as thinking science is wrong.

When judging certain industries for being "too SJW", the right isn't actually speaking out against those industries for having women and minorities work in them.   They're speaking out against incentives that make it easier for anyone but white guys to occupy those positions.  They would even support having a female president if they think that candidate is the right person for the job and not just to check that off of some arbitrary checklist, and yeah, fair enough. They just choose not to explain their position and are ok with the uninitiated thinking they're discriminatory jerks.

Also, after listening to "anti-SJWs" talk for a while, I've come to accept them as being the same as the feminists and race activists they criticize.  They're pushing back against issues that I think are very much real, but can take things too far at times and sometimes suck the joy out of the room and/or attach issues of identity to discussions where it isn't warranted.  Sound familiar?  So, I hope they can advance their cause, but now I think I understand what it feels like to be a female who doesn't identify with the feminist crowd, or a minority who doesn't identify with race activist groups, as anti-SJWs can't count this white guy among their ranks.  Instead, I'll approach them like any other activist group and treat them as no better or worse in that regard.  My philosophy is that activism is a tool that should only exist so long as there is need for it, and I think there is need for it here even if some cross the line (as the case often is with activists of all kinds).

• Brohoof 3

49 minutes ago, AlbaTross said:

They just choose not to explain their position and are ok with the uninitiated thinking they're discriminatory jerks.

From my personal experience, many of my fellow conservatives explain exactly what they think just fine. It’s just very often that liberals choose not to believe them. It’s a lot easier to feel superior when you think the person you disagree with is just stupid or a bad person, rather than a perfectly rational person with a different perspective.

Eventually, when everything you say and do is raged at for being “discriminatory”, you really just stop caring what they think. I mean, honestly, why should you care what these strangers that know nothing about you say when their knee jerk reaction is to label you as hateful?

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, ShadOBabe said:

From my personal experience, many of my fellow conservatives explain exactly what they think just fine. It’s just very often that liberals choose not to believe them. It’s a lot easier to feel superior when you think the person you disagree with is just stupid or a bad person, rather than a perfectly rational person with a different perspective.

Eventually, when everything you say and do is raged at for being “discriminatory”, you really just stop caring what they think. I mean, honestly, why should you care what these strangers that know nothing about you say when their knee jerk reaction is to label you as hateful?

I see, so people just stop explaining their position because the other side just won't get it no matter how much effort they put in to explain themselves?  Seems legit enough.  Whatever the reason though, that doesn't lesson the fact that the right is often misrepresented to neutral parties who may actually be on board with some of their perspectives on things.  

Heck, I was even under the impression for a while that people on the right wanted notions of equality to revert back to those of the 1960s, because it legitimately seemed that way, and I could not for the life of me figure out why there was so much momentum behind that movement, even here where we're fans of a show that advocates for equality.  

That's what prompted me to look into it further.  It turns out the far-left is really good at convincing the uninitiated that those on the other side are the bad guys.  Though they make mountains out of molehills wherever they can, they're really good at selling their conclusions to anyone who will listen.  I mean, the right does it too, but they failed miserably to convince me of equally ridiculous and untrue notions such as that the left supports communism.  For whatever reason I bought the story the left sold me though, and I think it comes down to them having an easier time looking sympathetic.  I'm still slightly left of center and stand by that, but I don't agree with everything the left spouts, especially now that I know the wool was pulled over my eyes for a while.

• Brohoof 4

I tend to be center-left, though I also try to be open-minded as I live in a very conservative area. From my experience with other fandoms it will always seem like 'one side' (whether liberal or conservative) is louder than the other, but that tends to be based on perspective. I'm also a fan of motorsports, and there's a similar thing there where (and I'm being general here) conservatives accuse liberals of hating racing, while liberals will make conservatives wound like they're backwards and hate things like safety improvements and alternative energy solutions.

It's everywhere, and it really shouldn't matter what we think. We're just pony fans in the end. We all have different opinions, but that's one of the beautiful things about this fandom. Even through the arguments and the like bronies of all types have generally been MUCH more conciliatory than other fandoms in my experience.

• Brohoof 2

I'm a bit complicated. And I'm just going to be honest with all of you. I'm a conservative, so yes, I support Trump. Yes I'm a Christian. No I do not support LGBT. BUT that does NOT mean I can't get along with people who don't believe the same as me. I am in no way racist or sexist. I respect people's opinions, and I can be friends with you no matter what your gender or race, even though I choose not to support LGBT myself. And kinda off-topic here, I do not support kneeling against the American flag, as many NFL players are doing. I respect them wanting to protest, but during our national anthem? I believe it's wrong. But anyway, relating to the show and diversity, I'm ok with it, as long as it doesn't start getting over the top forced on us, which I'm pretty sure won't happen. The show has kinda always symbolized diversity in a subtle way. I guess what I'm trying to say is, while I tend to lean right, most if not all, of the time, I also kinda lean left with a couple topics. I agree that the majority of bronies and pegasisters are liberal though. 

11 hours ago, King of Canterlot said:

I'm definitely more right-leaning, I can't really stand people on the left and democrats in general constantly whining about dumb shit

I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings, but I agree with you there. 

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 3

The fringes tend to be more vocal. If you want real answers, you're going to have to do anonymous polling. One anecdote I can bring up is this polling EqD had about how liked Starlight Glimmer is. Turns out people were surprised that Glim-Glam was generally well-received despite all the bad-mouthing going around.

Going on purely from memory, there was this political compass polling done a few years back and it showed most consistently people leaning Libertarian on the Authoritarian-Libertarian axis but there was more variation on the left-right side of it.

Edited by Liquid

There's SJW and then there's liberal and I don't think it's really fair to equate the two :wacko:

Personally I'm pretty liberal (not an SJW though -_-) but I've been in this fandom for awhile now and I've seen plenty of bronies on both sides. And I think both sides tend to be pretty tolerating of the other, at least for the most part.

And although I'm liberal there are some things I'm a bit more conservative on. Like this:

4 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

I do not support kneeling against the American flag, as many NFL players are doing. I respect them wanting to protest, but during our national anthem? I believe it's wrong. 

I also personally disagree with what those players are doing. There is a time and a place for protesting, and the national anthem/flag at the NFL games should be a sign of unifying the country. Is that really where we want to bring up social justice issues.

Edited by SparklingSwirls
  • Brohoof 2

I doubt the majority of bronies are conservative, it would appear that bronies span a rather wide range of ideological beliefs on the political spectrum.  As others have pointed out, there are multiple political spectrum quiz threads on this very forum and if anything they seem to be left libertarian leaning.  What people are likely criticizing are SJWs and their associated identity politics, which while generally considered part of the left are sufficiently distinct from the rest of the left that people are willing to criticize them without necessarily criticizing the left as a whole. I think people are just getting plain tired of identity politics in general, and I could see even moderate liberals being critical of the more extreme SJW elements.

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, BronyNumber42licious said:

I think people just don't want "diversity" beating them over the head. Like we are idiots and freak out if we see someone different.

Some people actually are that way, in fact there are whole groups of people dedicated to being an idiot in that fashion.

Judging by the people I've seen HERE a lot of them are not only right leaning but also surprisingly prejudiced. That's not indicative of the entire community but it's still incredibly frustrating being a part of this community.

On 1/12/2018 at 3:32 AM, Annie said:

Judging by the people I've seen HERE a lot of them are not only right leaning but also surprisingly prejudiced. That's not indicative of the entire community but it's still incredibly frustrating being a part of this community.

I could say a few of them that would make me think that way too, but those people are just an extremely aggravating minority.