Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Do you remember the time when you were excited about looking at a computer monitor

Lumos31

Like just the sheer amazement of turning it on. Seeing it come to life.

Before you knew about internet trolling, political religious fundamentalist extremeism online. Was pretty much easier time in the early 2000s, i had no idea about those. Now i see it all the time on the internet. Even on YouTube.

So yeah. It is kind of nice to be nostalgic or well the more simpler ways of dealing with it. But it is also good that it doesn't create echo chambers either. To sort of be open to adapt to new environments and stuff. But yeah i do love to be nostalgic about the more simplistic ways sometimes.

But considering not all here is born in 1991. I am just curious to your first experience?

I recall being curious about these new really thin LCD screens, but the old CRT screens had 'always' been around when I was young so they weren't as new and exciting. I remember when we got a new computer with Windows '95 on it - you'd just press the on button and it would boot up in under one minute; that was incredible.

3 hours ago, Lumos31 said:

Before you knew about internet trolling, political religious fundamentalist extremeism online.

I still don't find too much of that. It's a bit like having noisy children in the room - if you're in the wrong frame of mind you get the urge to shout at them, but for the most part ignoring it works best. 

• Brohoof 1

My first experience with computers was, I believe, for games and fun.

I remember my sister and I would play with the voice recorder for quite a while; record something, slow it down, speed it up, reverse it... Or we'd type nonsense stories on WordPad, or I'd play Super Mario World on floppy disk.

I still remember the dial-up noises from when we first got internet. I never coulda guessed we'd become so dependent on them in our private and professional lives, much less that it'd happen before I reached adulthood.

• Brohoof 1

I am still amazed at my Windows Tablet. 

It's no Surface, but being able to do anything (anything it can't handle directly, I can do with a remote connection to my desktop PC) with a device that takes the same space as a normal sized book is amazing. Combine that with touch-optimized UWP apps from MS store and it brings glee to my face every time I do someting like playing youtube while typing this message. 

• 9 months later...

I remember the smile I had on my face when I got my first computer when I was 10. It had a CRT monitor.

Even dial up internet was amazing to me, till I started using it for a while. :laugh:

Yes/no, my earliest memories are of devices plugged into the TV rather than a standalone monitor :)

A Vic20 appeared at school (In '80/'81) I remember a Space Invader-a-like game on it.

vic20_ad.jpg

Dad, dad, dad, let me play Household Accounts, pleeeeeease

Edited by Dawnchaser

• 1 year later...

Not really a monitor, but the first time I hooked my Xbox 360 up to an HD TV, I thought it looked incredible. I'd used old box TVs up until that point, and being able to actually read text was so cool. I remember quite a few names in games that I'd gotten wrong because I couldn't read them on my old TV (the RPK from Black Ops comes to mind. I'd always thought it was the RPX :lie:).

Edited by BOOker_laugh_at_my_pun
  • Brohoof 1

On 1/10/2018 at 2:22 PM, Lumos31 said:

I am just curious to your first experience?

My first experience with a monitor was very sexual.

But then, I realized that when it was turned on, Internet trolling and all that other stuff you were talking about, turned me off.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Computer monitor? No not really.

The computer itself? Yes. The satisfying click of the power button, the revving of the fans, the hard drive spinning up and the disk drives going through their start up, then the hard disk "searching" sound, then the post screen, that was exciting to me.