Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Obscure Films or T.V. Shows that you know of

ultrairongorilla

In terms of movies, I'd go with Mary and Max, which is a claymation movie about a lonely Australian Girl who becomes pen pals with a Jewish man from New York. It's extremely heavy in it's themes of friendship, loneliness, and depression, but it's done more realistically, and more relatable than any movie I have ever seen. 

For TV shows I'd go with either Making Fiends, My Life As A Teenage Robot, or a live action drama called Huff. Huff is as obscure as it gets, and is one of Hank Azaria's most underappreciated roles.s592.thumb.jpg.749418ef70b46d49ad022a389d6dec3d.jpgp261278_b_v8_aa.thumb.jpg.88af1cbcd534bd72b6ff886adf5a43b7.jpgMyLifeAsATeenageRobot_S1.jpg.faaac2c6f3b5d76b441e3431af732cd1.jpg5a56aab3ed847_MaryandMax.jpg.a25a61daf831fa485a34ad922a2613b3.jpg

Edited by ultrairongorilla

One of my favorite movies is somewhat obscure, at least in North America. It's called Life is Beautiful. Basically, an Italian Jew meets the girl of his dreams and starts a family. But then the Holocaust begins and he is sent with his son to a concentration camp, where he comes up with a way to keep his son's spirits up as hell unfolds around them.

759_LifeIsBeautiful_Catalog_Poster_v2_Ap

It gets really sad, but it's a beautiful movie.

• Brohoof 3

I used to watch a couple of somewhat obscure cartoons when I was a kid:

Martin Mystery: To be honest, by my standards now, I'd consider it not as good as I did when I was 10 or so, but the show apparently wasn't that much worse than I remember. I've also heard zero discussion of it from cartoon-based countdown makers and reviewers. Even when they talk about obscure cartoons. Like another one I watched on the same channel (Nicktoons Network). The show is based on an Italian comic that centers around 2 sixteen year old siblings that solve mysteries together, along with a caveman. Trivia: Tabitha St. Germain voices a supporting character that comes up from time to time. 

Martin_Mystery_title.png

Kappa Mikey: I actually re-watched this one recently, and I don't think it's too bad. It is an anime parody centered around a 19-year old, somewhat egocentric,  American actor that gets an acting job in Japan after winning a scratch-off card contest. The show has a bit of a problem with melodrama, and of course occasionally not quite hitting the mark, but otherwise it's actually a good show. It also was marketed as the first anime made exclusively in the United States, because it kind of is an anime, but I mean it kind of isn't either, so...

Kappa_Mikey.jpg

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Duzzkey said:

I used to watch a couple of somewhat obscure cartoons when I was a kid:

Martin Mystery: To be honest, by my standards now, I'd consider it not as good as I did when I was 10 or so, but the show apparently wasn't that much worse than I remember. I've also heard zero discussion of it from cartoon-based countdown makers and reviewers. Even when they talk about obscure cartoons. Like another one I watched on the same channel (Nicktoons Network). The show is based on an Italian comic that centers around 2 sixteen year old siblings that solve mysteries together, along with a caveman. Trivia: Tabitha St. Germain voices a supporting character that comes up from time to time. 

Martin_Mystery_title.png

Kappa Mikey: I actually re-watched this one recently, and I don't think it's too bad. It is an anime parody centered around a 19-year old, somewhat egocentric,  American actor that gets an acting job in Japan after winning a scratch-off card contest. The show has a bit of a problem with melodrama, and of course occasionally not quite hitting the mark, but otherwise it's actually a good show. It also was marketed as the first anime made exclusively in the United States, because it kind of is an anime, but I mean it kind of isn't either, so...

Kappa_Mikey.jpg

Martin Mystery also did a cross over with Totally Spies if I remember correctly.

22 minutes ago, ultrairongorilla said:

In terms of movies, I'd go with Mary and Max, which is a claymation movie about a lonely Australian Girl who becomes pen pals with a Jewish man from New York. It's extremely heavy in it's themes of friendship, loneliness, and depression, but it's done more realistically, and more relatable than any movie I have ever seen. 

For TV shows I'd go with either Making Fiends, My Life As A Teenage Robot, or a live action drama called Huff. Huff is as obscure as it gets, and is one of Hank Azaria's most underappreciated roles.s592.thumb.jpg.749418ef70b46d49ad022a389d6dec3d.jpgp261278_b_v8_aa.thumb.jpg.88af1cbcd534bd72b6ff886adf5a43b7.jpgMyLifeAsATeenageRobot_S1.jpg.faaac2c6f3b5d76b441e3431af732cd1.jpg5a56aab3ed847_MaryandMax.jpg.a25a61daf831fa485a34ad922a2613b3.jpg

OMG I haven't seen Mary and Max in agessssss, all of those except huff I have seen and were good.
My Addition will be: Code Lyoko, and League of Super Evil

League of Super Evil.jpg

Code Lyoko.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Aveon said:

OMG I haven't seen Mary and Max in agessssss, all of those except huff I have seen and were good.
My Addition will be: Code Lyoko, and League of Super Evil

League of Super Evil.jpg

Code Lyoko.jpg

I used to love Code Lyoko when I was younger. I remember coming home after school, and watching it on the Miguzi afternoon block on Cartoonnetwork, back in like 2005 or so.

CLO_PR_SA_02_big.jpg.b205a50e2db004656b3a811f963dfd05.jpg

Clone High -- easily one of the best shows to have ever been created. It's too bad it lasted for only one season and ended on a cliffhanger.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Duzzkey said:

It was the source of a pretty funny meme a few years back.

If Clone High had debuted in this decade, it would have been the source of endless memes.

Memes aside, the show was funny on its own merits.

Just now, Yellow Diamond said:

If Clone High had debuted in this decade, it would have been the source of endless memes.

Memes aside, the show was funny on its own merits.

It was a shame from what I know of the show that it had to go so soon.

I'd say it's impressive enough it had one meme, particularly one of the notoriety of the "Say What" meme.

49 minutes ago, Prospekt said:

One of my favorite movies is somewhat obscure, at least in North America. It's called Life is Beautiful. Basically, an Italian Jew meets the girl of his dreams and starts a family. But then the Holocaust begins and he is sent with his son to a concentration camp, where he comes up with a way to keep his son's spirits up as hell unfolds around them.

759_LifeIsBeautiful_Catalog_Poster_v2_Ap

It gets really sad, but it's a beautiful movie.

That won an Oscar and had the best Oscar speech ever. It's still considered obscure? That's insane!

Anyway. Here's one that is absolutely insane and insanely bad that may give The Room a run for it's money. 

Meet The Hollowheads

mthposter.jpg

It has some well known B and C listers in the cast, yet it's almost completely forgotten. I can only explain the film as Tim Burton meets The Jetsons meets a stroke.

The whole film is on YouTube I think. This never got a DVD release. 

• Brohoof 1

My favourite non-animated film has to be Swimming With Sharks, starring Kevin Spacey and Frank Whaley. It seems that not a lot of people know about this gripping film production drama... despite it containing one of Spacey's finest performances. It's worth checking out.

swimming.jpg

Bellflower Bunnies is a really cute & sweet cartoon it started in 2001 and has 52 episodes , it is one of my most favorite cartoons it is about the life of the bellflower family 

01.jpg

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

That won an Oscar and had the best Oscar speech ever. It's still considered obscure? That's insane!

From my experience, people don't know it. It's bizarre. Probably because it's a foreign language film.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Here's a show I still love to this day called The Oblongs. The network killed this show way too quickly, and it's such a shame because I always thought it was one of the more unique Adult Swim Cartoons. Creepy Susiedinky.jpg.35ddc124ad1acc06b9ce1d74e27c10d4.jpgoblong.jpg.7fa2069d7bae285273fa1bd4438e63c9.jpgBoosh.jpg.f6206e5d62d36b5b0727e099fdc5105e.jpg, Helga, and Milo easily make this show. 

The Drinky Crow show, I I honestly thought was a fever dream I had until I found it again the other day.

The Mighty Boosh is a British comedy series, that the only thing anybody remembers from is Old Greg. Somehow kids in my school found out about this show, and decided to dress up as Old Greg for the Halloween Trick or Treating trade. So we just had a bunch of  students dressed up as Old Greg, walking around giving out candy and acting really creepy to the other kids.

Edited by ultrairongorilla

I grew up on Nicktoons, tons of Nicktoons shows have gone forgotten. People already mentioned Mr. Meaty, Martin Mystery, Making Fiends and Kappa Mikey (all four of those shows were my jam as a kid, and they still hold up, even Mr. Meaty if you're into weird crap like me). Some other super obscure ones areVoltron: The Third Dimension, Speed Racer: Next Generation, The Secret Show, Edgar and Ellen, Wolverine and the X-Men, Iron Man: Armored Adventures, Three Delivery, Catscratch, Tak and the Power of Juju and Back to the Barnyard. Not all of them were winners (I remember liking Edgar and Ellen, Three Delivery and Catscratch and Three Delivery, The Secret Show and Back to the Barnyard holds up quite well), but man Nick had so much variety back then. 

Mid to late 2000s were a weird time, when Dragon Ball Kai was considered a Nicktoon.

Edited by Galaxian Darkanine
  • Brohoof 1

I don't watch movies all that much so I can't answer to that but I can answer to the television shows. A lot of cartoons/television shows that I watched with great enthusiasm come from the 1980s--specifically from England--and include but not limited to:

The Poddington Peas
Superted
The Family Ness
Count Duckula
Avenger Penguins
Victor and Hugo: Bunglers in Crime
The Raggy Dolls
Art Attack
Fun House
Knightmare

These are just a small handful mind you.

The 90's Johnny Quest reboot/sequel. 

JQ was the epitome of campy 60s/70s action adventure cartoons. But the 90s version had the cast aged up, tackle real world myths and conspiracies and fight some more serious villains. It was also rather dark at times, with villains implied at having some gruesome off screen deaths.  It was the Nolan treatment before Christopher Nolan. 

And go figure, in the recommended section, I found Swat Kats. I only remember a little of this show, but I do remember it was awesome. Consider it Ninja turtles meets Top Gun.  

Oh and on the subject of more shows that probably inspired a generation of furries, here Road Rovers, made by soem of the same crew that did Animaniacs. Lots of action and lots of comedy. 

Long before Deadpool was the 4th wall breaking hero of choice, there was Freakazoid. Basically taking the piss out of every Super hero cartoon not named Batman. 

As for non animated fare, there was a show called Wolf Lake. It was about a detective searching for his missing fiance, when clues lead him to Wolf Lake, a town that, unbeknownst to him, is full of Werewolves. A well received supernatural mystery that was ahead of it's time, the show was pulled after one season, due to being mismanaged by it's network and airing right after 9/11. 

Last one I can think of, a show that really shouldn't be this obscure, is Babylon 5. If you've ever played Mass Effect, than that game borrowed heavily from this show.  Better than Firefly. Better than Star Trek (so much better that they copied it's premise and made DS9). A show with a diverse cast, in depth story arcs, and probably the best space combat of any sci-fi series.