Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Teen Titans Go: The Movie

Steve Piranha

1 hour ago, PinkiePie97 said:

He'll be in the movie. Instead of Ron Perlman, he's being voiced by Will Arnett.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2018/01/10/heres-your-exclusive-first-look-teen-titans-go-movies/1014527001/

Anyway, while I'm no fan of this show, I have no issue with this existing. It has an audience that does like it, and that audience is clearly big enough for Warner Bros. to want to do this.

Except for Ron Perlman not reprising his role, but........ we finally got Slade in TTG :squee: 

9 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

Except that Cow and Chicken was always just it’s own independent, irreverent goofy thing. Meanwhile TTG made the grave mistake of trying to be a spin off of a more sincere and heartfelt show about teenage superheroes and proceeded to make them all idiots.

Not to mention they have the nerve to constantly pull weak Take That’s on their critics, which wins them no goodwill at all.

Well, in their defense, the critics kinda deserve the jabs the show takes at them :dash: 

45 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Well, in their defense, the critics kinda deserve the jabs the show takes at them :dash: 

And in the critics' defense, the show definitely deserves their... criticisms -- ironically because of said jabs (among other things).

Edited by A.V.

5 minutes ago, A.V. said:

And in the critics' defense, the show definitely deserves their... criticisms -- ironically because of said jabs (among other things).

While it is OK to dislike and criticize the show for using the same old TTs to be more comedic, it's absurd the length many take to try to convince the world it's the greatest source of evil. I mean, for real, I thought the old Flash Sentry rants years back where absurdly over the top, but this takes the cake :dash: 

• Brohoof 3

46 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

I thought the old Flash Sentry rants years back where absurdly over the top.

19 minutes ago, A.V. said:

Personally, I've always been neutral toward him.

I'm neutral toward him too. Just hope he lives a good life amidst all the shenanigans that go on.

1 hour ago, Steve Piranha said:

Well, in their defense, the critics kinda deserve the jabs the show takes at them

Except not really, because their “jabs” are basically such dumb classic messages as “it’s a kid/comedy show, so it doesn’t have to be good”.

And honestly, screw that attitude.

• Brohoof 2

16 hours ago, Duzzkey said:

Then what isn't a dumb reason to dislike something...? 

How about something that has something to do with the actual show? 

16 hours ago, Duzzkey said:

Seriously, the show literally exists to riff the original series and that's not offensive to you in any way?

No, but then I'm mature enough to tolerate when something I like gets parodied.  Plus, some of the jokes are pretty funny. 

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Yamet said:

How about something that has something to do with the actual show? 

No, but then I'm mature enough to tolerate when something I like gets parodied.  Plus, some of the jokes are pretty funny. 

How about an argument that makes sense...?

It's not just parodied. It's downright INSULTED.

This movie will probably make 2-3x what the MLP movie did in theaters if not more. I can already hear the threads being typed up now from the future.

9 minutes ago, Duzzkey said:

How about an argument that makes sense...?

It's not just parodied. It's downright INSULTED.

What about it did not make sense? Although several people have very valid reasons for disliking the show... many just hate it because "It is not like that thing I liked!" which can be said about many cartoon shows/films that have multiple incarnations/sequels. A lot of people like the show because of its almost meme like nature and its simple plot of just throwing some gags at you for a few minutes until you are bored and go do something else.

For the record I don't like TTG. I do find it a poor substitute for what was a pretty good show, since I loved the story driven episodes, and the drama and emotion it invoked. They could do episodes with a wacky sense of humor one day, and then hit you right in the feels the next... to me there just felt like a passion to tell stories in the show for many different people and different types of fans. The new series is just bent on going in one direction and is less interested in any sort of story and just rushing from gag to gag. The humor to me is hit and miss, with some episodes being actually pretty funny, and others being horribly obnoxious. I solve this issue though by just not watching it and instead watching shows I do like and not spending my free time complaining about the ones I don't.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, GrimGrimoire said:

What about it did not make sense? Although several people have very valid reasons for disliking the show... many just hate it because "It is not like that thing I liked!" which can be said about many cartoon shows/films that have multiple incarnations/sequels. A lot of people like the show because of its almost meme like nature and its simple plot of just throwing some gags at you for a few minutes until you are bored and go do something else.

For the record I don't like TTG. I do find it a poor substitute for what was a pretty good show, since I loved the story driven episodes, and the drama and emotion it invoked. They could do episodes with a wacky sense of humor one day, and then hit you right in the feels the next... to me there just felt like a passion to tell stories in the show for many different people and different types of fans. The new series is just bent on going in one direction and is less interested in any sort of story and just rushing from gag to gag. The humor to me is hit and miss, with some episodes being actually pretty funny, and others being horribly obnoxious. I solve this issue though by just not watching it and instead watching shows I do like and not spending my free time complaining about the ones I don't.

I said I hated it because the show literally sits and insults its source material constantly, it was right there in the post for anyonne to see, and that  has everything to do with the show, because that's what the show is. An insult. Though some people just decide not to read an entire post before attacking it, either that or just decide to be obstinate for the sake of protecting their hurt feelings.

They wanted a kid/little boys show. The kids like it, they buy toys, CN and DC make money. An upset fanbase of the original isn't and shouldn't be their concern. The target audience isn't complaining and that's the bottom line.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, PiratePony said:

They wanted a kid/little boys show. The kids like it, they buy toys, CN and DC make money. An upset fanbase of the original isn't and shouldn't be their concern. The target audience isn't complaining and that's the bottom line.

Well that's a shame that they don't care about their own channel then. Absolutely no way that it is so profitable that it literally takes up half of the schedule when everyone but a very young audience hates it. Pretty obvious they just don't care.

1 minute ago, Duzzkey said:

Well that's a shame that they don't care about their own channel then. Absolutely no way that it is so profitable that it literally takes up half of the schedule when everyone but a very young audience hates it. Pretty obvious they just don't care.

I don't see how it doesn't. That's got to translate to enough advertisers to pay on TTG over other programming. The advertisement money drives a lot of what's on TV.

Just imagine how much they have to shill to Tara Strong and company on residuals alone if they're airing it so much. Mrs. Strong is probably swimming in a pool of Teen Titans Go money like Scrooge McDuck right now.

Just now, PiratePony said:

I don't see how it doesn't. That's got to translate to enough advertisers to pay on TTG over other programming. The advertisement money drives a lot of what's on TV.

Just imagine how much they have to shill to Tara Strong and company on residuals alone if they're airing it so much. Mrs. Strong is probably swimming in a pool of Teen Titans Go money like Scrooge McDuck right now.

This should make you see exactly how it doesn't.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/228934/cable-tv-networks-cn-cartoon-network-watched-within-the-last-7-days-usa/

They've been losing viewers for a long time now, seemingly because of TTG, and there's no way that a transition that causes this in any way gives them more viewership. I understand that TV has shifted online and to mobile devices, but there's no way it could cause a change this steep within a matter of only a few years.

7 minutes ago, Duzzkey said:

This should make you see exactly how it doesn't.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/228934/cable-tv-networks-cn-cartoon-network-watched-within-the-last-7-days-usa/

They've been losing viewers for a long time now, seemingly because of TTG, and there's no way that a transition that causes this in any way gives them more viewership. I understand that TV has shifted online and to mobile devices, but there's no way it could cause a change this steep within a matter of only a few years.

In addition to the fact that ratings on all of TV have fallen in recent years, I think at least another part of it is from them not focusing on linear ratings as much as they used to. They're focusing more on stuff like On Demand (which they're doing well in) and have been doing a lot of early releases on there and online.
http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/bringing-cartoons-to-tv-and-everywhere

TTG still remains their highest rated show on the live feed.

Edited by PinkiePie97

Just now, PinkiePie97 said:

In addition to the fact that ratings on all of TV have fallen in recent years, I think at least another part of it is from them not focusing on linear ratings as much as they used to. They're focusing more on stuff like On Demand (which they're doing well in) and have been doing a lot of early releases on there and online.
http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/bringing-cartoons-to-tv-and-everywhere

TTG still remains their highest rated show on the live feed.

It can't really account for a drop of that magnitude, or the fact it's even being beaten by Adult Swim as of 2 months ago.

That can easily be because of their schedule and the fact that most of their audience has so little exposure to their other shows. The network for the past few months has been airing Teen Titans Go almost constantly, with few other shows getting even half of the airtime TTG gets in a week.

Speaking as a pretty big fan of teen titans (and everything DC related), I fail to see how teen titans go insults it. Care to enlighten me?  

If  making the whole cast dumb idiots who ;literally sit and talk about waffles and butts for 11 minutes isn't insulting to the original hsow it's based on, I don't know what is.

Edited by Duzzkey

2 minutes ago, Duzzkey said:

If  making the whole cast dumb idiots who ;literally sit and talk about waffles and butts for 11 minutes isn't insulting to the original hsow it's based on, I don't know what is.

So because the show doesn't take it self too seriously and makes some silly jokes it's an insult to the source material? I don't really see how that makes any kind of sense.  

1 minute ago, Yamet said:

So because the show doesn't take it self too seriously and makes some silly jokes it's an insult to the source material? I don't really see how that makes any kind of sense.  

There's a pretty big difference between making a few self-deprecating jokes and making the characters complete morons, and I don't understand how you can say that making them like that isn't an insult.

Just now, Duzzkey said:

There's a pretty big difference between making a few self-deprecating jokes and making the characters complete morons,

Yeah, and your point is? I never claimed that all the show did was making a couple self-deprecating jokes. 

3 minutes ago, Duzzkey said:

, and I don't understand how you can say that making them like that isn't an insult.

As I said earlier, I'm mature enough to tolerate when stuff I like gets parodied. 

Just now, Yamet said:

Yeah, and your point is? I never claimed that all the show did was making a couple self-deprecating jokes. 

As I said earlier, I'm mature enough to tolerate when stuff I like gets parodied. 

Really? So what HAVE you been claiming? That it gets parodied? Because that's what parodies do. They don't turn everyone into complete morons with as much brainpower as a stick of chewing gum. I have never seen anything do that with it's source material aside from TTG. Not even once. At least they show RESPECT, ad that's what I've been saying. There's a difference between a parody and an insulting spin-off whose creators have zero respect for the show.

Just now, Duzzkey said:

Really? So what HAVE you been claiming?

That the show doesn't take itself too seriously and makes silly jokes. Heck, I'll fully admit that every character is a complete moron, but that doesn't mean it's an insult to the source material. I mean, it's all in good fun. 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Yamet said:

That the show doesn't take itself too seriously and makes silly jokes. Heck, I'll fully admit that every character is a complete moron, but that doesn't mean it's an insult to the source material. I mean, it's all in good fun. 

I've been saying that there's a BIG difference between not taking itself seriously and downright insulting itself. I don't think you''ve been reading my past few posts. Constant butt/fart jokes (that aren't really funny to anyone aside from 5 and 6 year olds with the most juvenile sense of humor). Here's a ridiculously long DeviantArt post about the subject. 

https://neonblobfish.deviantart.com/journal/Teen-Titans-Go-and-why-it-s-so-insulting-477751246

It's not all in good fun. It's done belligerently with zero respect.You can't just say a show with constant fart jokes is good just because "it's Teen Titans," which is what you're trying to do. I bet you don't treat shows with the same low-quality humor with the same respect.

18 minutes ago, Duzzkey said:

I've been saying that there's a BIG difference between not taking itself seriously and downright insulting itself. 

But I don't see where it's insulting itself. Yes, the characters are complete idiots but to me it looks like it was all done in good fun though that is probaby because I view the show as something completely separate to the old one rather than a direct spin off. 

As for the Devianart post, all it does is comparing the old show and the new one which I think makes as much sense as comparing The Dark Knight trilogy to Adam West's Batman (I mean, the two shows are trying to do two completely different things). 

Seriously, anyone who complains about how the show doesn't focus enough on the action despite being a super hero show has clearly missed the point of the show. 

26 minutes ago, Duzzkey said:

You can't just say a show with constant fart jokes is good just because "it's Teen Titans," which is what you're trying to do. 

That's not even close to what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to explain why hating a show with this passion because "it's not like the other show I used to watch" is at best stupid and at worst downright pathetic (though I admit that I might have gotten off track). But I've never given the show a pass simply because "it's Teen Titans". 

Also, dismissing a show because it has a couple fart jokes without even considering the other jokes in it is just silly. 

• Brohoof 2