Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people hate bronies so much?

AveryGamerDude

I really needed to ask this. I'm a Brony just like you guys, but everywhere I go, I see people saying that Bronies are some of the worst people ever. They always rant about how Bronies are "intolerant", "horse rapists", and "cringe cancer". Everywhere on the internet, they say that we're are one of the worst fanbases on the web. (Notable example being IHE's Top 5 Worst Fanbases video, seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIT_RMpbSRI) I personally have been attacked on the web for having a MLP profile pic (But I don't have one anymore) and they have called me these horrible things and they claimed that I would "Rape every horse on Earth". Not to mention MLP content is very prominent on r/cringeanarchy. I honestly don't see any valid reasons why they would hate us, other than maybe us having a lot of stuff on R34 and the abundance of sexual content on Derpibooru. (I even thought Derpibooru was an MLP clop site at one point. I do honestly feel like the male fans of MLP may like Fluttershy just a little too much. Heck, I even feel like I do. Even though I prefer Rarity. One of my co workers used to work at Build a Bear, and she claimed that guys who got MLP plushes made really lewd comments about stuffing them, which sadly didn't surprise me.) But other than what I just mentioned, I feel like the vast majority of Bronies are really nice. Our policy is even to love and tolerate! So please... WHY DO THEY HATE US SO?! ;_;

(If this is too NSFW, then I'll edit the post to make it more appropriate.)

• Brohoof 6

They use the 'horse rapist' insult a lot, but that's just them trying to argue. For the most part, people hate bronies because they dont understand us. Most of them haven't watched the show, and assume it's a super girly show, and they automatically assume we are creepy. They also tend to dislike the overwhelming amount of pony content around the web. Most of their insults are terms they know piss us off. Most bronies (myself included) dislike being called 'horse rapists' or 'fat neckbeards'. They know that gets us worked up, because many of us are called these things daily. While there are definitely bronies who may be on the creepier side of things, most of the fandom is no different from any other group. It's just that small group of people that gives the fandom a bad reputation. 

I mean, people call me 'horsefucker' online frequently, and I don't clop at all. I actually find clop disgusting. When I tell them this, they keep dropping insults on me. So basically yeah, they know it annoys us, so they keep doing it. Typical bully things.

Ive found if you ignore their comments, they will give up trying to insult you.:)

Edited by Rhythm Red
  • Brohoof 7

Wellllllll it's hard to say why individual people hate on us, but in general I would say that because this is an internet based fan base, and considering pretty much any fan base on the internet has a group of dedicated haters, I would say its pretty much unavoidable that we gather some hate from certain people. I also believe that some of the more nasty sides, or minority groups of people in this fandom who into such things such as clop and get triggered very easily are greatly stereotyped as being rampant throughout the entire community, and therefor become the face of the community, greatly damage our outlook to outsiders and they may decide to criticize us based only on those stereotypes. It's really a combination of many things, along with the fact that it is kinda weird to outsiders that teenage/grown men watch a show filled with magical talking friendship ponies, that fact alone is very odd and probably very easy to hate on by outsiders. 

If I get any hate from someone, I usually just try my best to ignore it, or sometimes I just laugh at it because of how crazy the things they are accusing me of doing when they've never even actually met me before. I think the best thing anyone of us can do is to simply just ignore any hate we get from haters, most of them are just trolls anyway and by not responding they don't get any reaction out of you, and more than likely they'll just go away.     

Edited by King of Canterlot
  • Brohoof 3

Well I just spent a good 10 minutes typing only to have it deleted. So now I have to remember all my points... again

First IHE's channel is suppose to be nothing but comedic hatred, nothing you should take personal. Second those who harass you are nothing but a bunch of losers who only wish to ruin your day, don't give them the satisfaction. And third every fandom has a lot of R34, we just have a bunch of it because of how massive our fandom is... hell the furries no doubt have 10x the amount we do.

Just remember we're only humans, as long as something exists there will always be at least one person who hates it. Liking something as innocent as My Little Pony doesn't make you a bad person, regardless of reason. Just ignore the haters, they aren't going to jump out of your monitor... or what ever you own, to harass you. As for real life, simply ignore them, though if it becomes a constant thing it doesn't hurt to teach someone respect.

• Brohoof 2

MLP has been carrying a negative stigma since it's beginning, and it's a worldwide tradition by now, so it's unsurprising people hate a fandom of grown dudes liking cute cartoon horses. I rarely bring ponies outside MLP sites, and I don't go to many of them, so I rarely fall victim of anti pony douches. Everyone advice that it's best to ignore them, advice rarely applied, but experience taught me it's best  (and more fun :D) to be a smartass. It's kryptonite for edgy 13 yrs old :D. Being a smartass it's art, but it's not that hard if you just chill and play with their minds without directly insulting them. If you insult them, or go on the defensive, it's their victory, but if you are smart in playing them, you win. 

• Brohoof 1

I haven't had anyone bear me ill will as a result of liking MLP. Maybe they think I'm a bit strange, but then they already think I'm strange (and they're not wrong.) Indeed, after it came out that I took the afternoon off to go and see the MLP movie, one of my colleagues actually bought me one of those small pony models to put on my desk. 

• Brohoof 3

I've yet to experience this outside of the fandom. It could be that I tend to present myself fairly maturely in all of my online participation, and rarely come across as overly emotional or sensitive about any given topic I'm discussing. 

Usually, the stronger your opinion is on something you comment on, the brighter the beacon of your presence is, and the tastier you look to people. ;)

• Brohoof 1

My issue with bronies are the ones with superiority complexes (Jeric) who act like jerks to those instead of just being friendly.  After the Season 3 finale and when people were threatening to shoot DHX staff as they left the building to go to their cars..I kinda just gave up on the fandom.  These days I observe, play forum games and chat but the show is pretty much ruined for me.

2 minutes ago, Qrow Branwen said:

After the Season 3 finale and when people were threatening to shoot DHX staff as they left the building to go to their cars. I kinda just gave up on the fandom.

They did? I never heard anything about that. :blink: That's kind of sad.

Just now, Hieroklicious said:

They did? I never heard anything about that. :blink: That's kind of sad.

Twilight getting wings and the wave of drama following the first Equestria Girls movie.

Just now, Qrow Branwen said:

Twilight getting wings and the wave of drama following the first Equestria Girls movie.

Oh dear, that convirms that we all are human I guess. :scoots:

But do you think Jeric would do that, or am I mistaken?

A year before I came back from a site ban it was Jeric who thought I was " Too dangerous." for the community despite having gotten professional help for my psychosis and had made amends where I broke fences..his smug attitude and looking down on others drove some good friends of mine from the fandom too.  On the way back I offered an olive branch only for the same attitude he had before then to bite me in the butt.

Mainly the fandom I thought was about accepting all people from all walks of life...I guess in Jeric's opinion is that those with mental health don't count.

Edited by Qrow Branwen

Every fanbase is going to have people making jokes about them in some way, and every fan base has those who take their obsession with the show or piece of entertainment a bit too far. Usually it's whatever's popular at the moment. (Like Friendship is Magic, Steven Universe, and currently Rick and Morty with their recent sauce pandemic.) 

I never discuss the show with anyone in real life, unless it's on this site, so I've never had any problems with it personally. Everyone I've come across on this site seems pretty nice so far.

Edited by ultrairongorilla
  • Brohoof 3

5 minutes ago, ultrairongorilla said:

Every fanbase is going to have people making jokes about them in some way, and every fan base has those who take their obsession with the show or piece of entertainment a bit too far. Usually it's whatever's popular at the moment. (Like Friendship is Magic, Steven Universe, and currently Rick and Morty with their recent sauce pandemic.) 

I never discuss the show with anyone in real life, unless it's on this site, so I've never had any problems with it personally. Everyone I've come across on this site seems pretty nice so far.

There's even RWBY fans who have gone as far as wanting to beat up other people for disagreeing which ship is better..you're not wrong that there's a fringe group that are militant on stuff that ruin the fun for everyone.

• Brohoof 2

6 minutes ago, Qrow Branwen said:

There's even RWBY fans who have gone as far as wanting to beat up other people for disagreeing which ship is better..you're not wrong that there's a fringe group that are militant on stuff that ruin the fun for everyone.

I try not to let either type of group ruin stuff for me. Because if I let that happen, I wouldn't have given stuff like Friendship Is Magic, Mass Effect,  Steven Universe, Cuphead, Rick and Morty, or The Loud House a chance. But I totally understand the point of view of people being turned off by a show or series with a fanbase that is too obsessed with it. 

• Brohoof 2

Just now, ultrairongorilla said:

I try not to let either type of group ruin stuff for me. Because if I let that happen, I wouldn't have given stuff like Friendship Is Magic, Mass Effect,  Steven Universe, Cuphead, Rick and Morty, or The Loud House a chance. But I totally understand the point of view of people being turned off by a show or series with a fanbase that is too obsessed with it. 

It just seemed like the stupidest reason to get mad..then again R n M fans sperged about a out dated dipping sauce from a 1999 Disney film.

• Brohoof 2

Probably a part of it is how the worst parts of a given group tend to get the most attention, due to being so shocking in their behavior.  This isn't not confined to fandoms, either.

I mean, the Trump supporters you hear about aren't the mainstream republican voters, but supremacist groups.  Because those supremacists are the most shocking, they are the ones you hear about, and they end up making all Trump supporters look bad.  And it's not the well-thought-out goals of the New York chapter of BLM that you hear about, but the most inciteful and least-reasonable goals of other chapters that make the news, and that gives people the wrong idea about BLM in general.

Probably the same thing is happening to the Brony fandom, too.

• Brohoof 2

It's because of 5% of the fandom! 5 mother£<#\ing percent of the fandom that got just a bit too €>,#ing vocal and ruined our reputation permanently! And with how abundant this 5% is you'd think that they are the main fandom! They are everywhere! One of my main concerns joining this site was that it would be full of poison. Thank you 5% of the fandom! +*>,ing thank you for ruining things for the rest of us! We just wanted to enjoy our show about cute ponies in peace! Why couldn't you just keep quiet so we could $)((ing do that!

oh, did I go on a rant. I'm sorry. It just... Really ticks me off.

• Brohoof 1

18 hours ago, Lore Finder said:

It's because of 5% of the fandom! 5 mother£<#\ing percent of the fandom that got just a bit too €>,#ing vocal and ruined our reputation permanently! And with how abundant this 5% is you'd think that they are the main fandom! They are everywhere! One of my main concerns joining this site was that it would be full of poison. Thank you 5% of the fandom! +*>,ing thank you for ruining things for the rest of us! We just wanted to enjoy our show about cute ponies in peace! Why couldn't you just keep quiet so we could $)((ing do that!

oh, did I go on a rant. I'm sorry. It just... Really ticks me off.

Let's not forget the fact that we've bitten the hand that feeds us more than once.

-Derpocalypse
-Twiligeddon
-Equestrigate
-Bunch of other stuff where fans have attacked DHX when it's a Hasbro call.-

People look at this and get a bad idea off the bat.

Edited by Qrow Branwen
  • Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Qrow Branwen said:

Let's not forget the fact that we've bitten the hand that feeds us more than once.

-Derpocalypse
-Twiligeddon
-Equestrigate

People look at this and get a bad idea off the bad.

Well, that first one was justified but, yeah, the misblame of DHX was a problem. (Stupid hasbro. Stupid "moral guardians")

Edited by Lore Finder

I to wonder sometimes why it's such a big deal that some makes out in the world like a show initially directed towards little girls. Just because we watch it doesn't mean that all bronies are little cringy girls! Us bronies need to stick strong against these people. But I've been lucky the past few times I told my bestest friends that I was a broney. Out of the 8 or so people, only one of them back fired. They of course said stuff like "Who watches that shows that's above four years old?!" For that guy, I had to lie that it was all a prank and I was just kidding around, sadley. Then, to seal the deal, I actually had to insult bronies! :(

There is one meme I like to keep in mind though that I honestly think is very true and funny: 

IMG_20171130_222944.jpg

• Brohoof 2

8 hours ago, Qrow Branwen said:

A year before I came back from a site ban it was Jeric who thought I was " Too dangerous." for the community despite having gotten professional help for my psychosis and had made amends where I broke fences..his smug attitude and looking down on others drove some good friends of mine from the fandom too.  On the way back I offered an olive branch only for the same attitude he had before then to bite me in the butt.

Mainly the fandom I thought was about accepting all people from all walks of life...I guess in Jeric's opinion is that those with mental health don't count.

Mods and Admins do not remove this please. Thank you in advance. 

First off ... what?

Do you realize I have enough academic Psychology credits to just apply for a BS in Psychology. My late wife was a published PsyD in Psychology, my son has PTSD and my daughter has attempted suicide twice. Just had to clear it with @Salty Sweetness. I bring this up because anyone ... and I mean ANYONE that knows me personally knows I would never suggest anything like that. I move mountains and go through heaven and hell for complete strangers to help them, have taken in homeless families, and some of you on this very forum I have done pushed myself to the mental breaking point to help. Some I may even do so in the future. I will continue to do that ... because that is who I am and life is too damn short to not help. 

I do not look down on ANYONE ... save myself because I couldn't save the one closest to me. Whoever you think I am ... you have me completely wrong. I would appreciate since you pulled my name into this out of nowhere that @Fhaolan take a look at the communications you are referring to and clear the air. Or you can drop this now and we can simply let whatever issues you think we have be in the past and move forward. 

• Brohoof 3

6 hours ago, Qrow Branwen said:

-Derpocalypse
-Twiligeddon
-Equestrigate

People look at this and get a bad idea off the bad.

The first two I know refers to the controversy around The Last Roundup and Magical Mystery Cure, but what's Equestrigate referring to?