Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people hate bronies so much?

AveryGamerDude

This has been an ongoing thing ever since the beginning over the years I just don't mind it anymore. Trust me, friend as long as they aren't physically harassing you, they can say whatever but it wouldn't make a difference because you are doing nothing wrong for loving a wholesome cartoon. ;)

• Brohoof 2

Every fandom I have ever come across has its toxic people. Each has its own drama within. Each has people who can't take criticism of their show/game/book/movie/artist, or even a specific character, without being overly offended and melodramatic.

Bronies are no different. We have jerks. We have people who make a mountain out of every molehill they come across. We have melodrama. We have R34.

But unlike your average Nintendo, Star Wars, Stranger Things, etc. fan, we aren't mainstream. The older male and female demographic has never embraced a "girly" kids show quite like this before. Naturally, people are caught off guard by the idea of an adult male watching such a cartoon. That kind of sentiment is so ingrained into mainstream culture that many people really don't like it when they see something that violates their traditional perception.

So, naturally, you'll have people who sink really low in order to deal with what they believe to be an "error" in society. Low enough to come up with extreme stereotypes in order to depict a fandom as somehow worse than all the rest. It's extremely immature. But it's reality.

• Brohoof 6

7 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

The first two I know refers to the controversy around The Last Roundup and Magical Mystery Cure, but what's Equestrigate referring to?

My guess would be the "Equestria Girls" franchise.

• Brohoof 3

You shouldn't let the haters get to you because that will only fuel their hunger. Their opinions don't matter in the long term so long as you continue to enjoy being a part of this fandom, but I would be lying if I didn't say things weren't perfect. There are those in the fandom who do take their love of MLP too far resulting in the haters lashing back while others question their moral ethics whilst lumping everyone else into the same boat. These same haters are also the kind who dislike the thought of us defying gender stereotypes, something which has been a part of human culture since ancient times.

• Brohoof 2

58 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Mods and Admins do not remove this please. Thank you in advance. 

First off ... what?

Do you realize I have enough academic Psychology credits to just apply for a BS in Psychology. My late wife was a published PsyD in Psychology, my son has PTSD and my daughter has attempted suicide twice. Just had to clear it with @Salty Sweetness. I bring this up because anyone ... and I mean ANYONE that knows me personally knows I would never suggest anything like that. I move mountains and go through heaven and hell for complete strangers to help them, have taken in homeless families, and some of you on this very forum I have done pushed myself to the mental breaking point to help. Some I may even do so in the future. I will continue to do that ... because that is who I am and life is too damn short to not help. 

I do not look down on ANYONE ... save myself because I couldn't save the one closest to me. Whoever you think I am ... you have me completely wrong. I would appreciate since you pulled my name into this out of nowhere that @Fhaolan take a look at the communications you are referring to and clear the air. Or you can drop this now and we can simply let whatever issues you think we have be in the past and move forward. 

Yeah, Yeah you're a real Mother Theresa....in your head.   

Maybe then Jeric you can tell me that's why Ruhisu doesn't use the forum anymore? That's why other people who have asked me not to use their name (They rather not be pulled into this.) have told me you were one of the most thick headed mods on the server to deal with? That when you were staff and punished a few for simply disagreeing with you with site bans? There's as well not to mention you were a complete jerk to me when I extended an olive branch to you.  

My issues with the fandom is because of people like with your superiority complex and snobbish attitude that paint yourself as being kind and accepting when you present the type that looks down on the regular user or those who are a little imbalanced with cognitive handicaps. 

There would be less cases of people hurting one another if people like you would take that stick out of your butt and were actually kind to people..  I rest my case here will leave it as is because I think i've explained myself more then I need too.

Edited by Qrow Branwen

2 minutes ago, Qrow Branwen said:

Yeah, Yeah you're a real Mother Theresa

I'm not Mother Theresa

No, but I genuinely do give a crap about the people here. You were banned before I was even a Moderator here. You requested to be unbanned and the policy was a group discussion among the Admins would occur. If it wasn't unanimous we would not overturn the prior decision. One of the Admins would typically be the bearer of bad news. It was usually me communicating at the time. That was the policy the Admins were stewards of at the time. What you think you know, and what actually happened are two different things. In the end, you need to balance the concerns of others as well. 

I've fought for and successfully convinced Admins to give others a second chance. Shit, it was something I was known for on staff that I would occasionally get crap for. 

Hell, you realize that your initial post and calling me out like that was almost removed. I asked an Admin to keep this up because I honestly wanted to figure out what I did that made you despise me. And as you see ... I actually asked to put this (without knowing what it was) behind us. I'm off the mind that sunlight is a great disinfectant. 

As far as me having a superiority complex, I'm educated. Many people on here say I inspire them. The truth is that they have taught me more than I could have ever taught them. And yeah I have Ruhisu's PM's about him asking for your ban to be reconsidered. He was a good friend to you, and responsible for my favorite commission. 

Anyway, the hand is still extended should you ever wish to take it. 

And 

@Hieroklicious no ... to answer your question ... I would not. To do so would be to betray so much about me and the people I love. 

• Brohoof 2

Stereotypes.

I've been kicked from online servers in games many times for simply being a brony. However, I don't think that there is a particularly humongous chunk of people who hate bronies.

Look at it this way, you have bronies, people who hate bronies, people who aren't bronies, but that also don't personally hate them and people who just don't care.

Either way, some fandoms are hated more than others. While the MLP fandom may fall under that category, the internet is the internet. Just enjoy what you enjoy and don't let anyone say otherwise.

I agree that the majority of bronies are good people, if this forum is any indication.

• Brohoof 3

55 minutes ago, Lore Finder said:

An important thing to remember: no matter how many fans are messed up and no matter how many people hate us, at least we are not the sonic the hedgehog fandom.

Eh I've never met anyone that likes Sonic the Hedgehog.

• Brohoof 1

Some fans can be pretty in your face and overbearing. And honestly a lot fans can just be downright unpleasant people to be around

• Brohoof 3

28 minutes ago, Crystal Peppermint said:

The only hate i ever encounter was from the fandom it self and ended up with people who left the fandom and became haters.

Same for me, I have only encountered people inside the fandom that don´t follow or understands the Friendship message. There are sadly a number of people that call them Bronys, I say people because calling them ponies would be right out wrong.

• Brohoof 1

Not going to continue this for a second day...I know what Jeric is and that's a snake in the grass and the reason why people like him made me turn on the fandom. 

Im only here for @Taiyang Xiao Long and the community..otherwise I got no interest in mlp.

On another note..I kinda think there's the cultural shock of it being aimed at pre-pubesent girls and..i'm sorry if this insults anyone but most bronies are mid-20 to late 30 dudes.   

To normies or people who aren't net savy that kinda raises alot of red flags and questions.  

12 minutes ago, Qrow Branwen said:

Not going to continue this for a second day...I know what Jeric is and that's a snake in the grass and the reason why people like him made me turn on the fandom. 

That's fine, ultimately it's your choice. Though this interaction definitely gave me additional inspiration to cover various topics on mental health in my blog. Salient since it will go up on the anniversary of @Just Jessi's death and it was her professional calling after all. She definitely saw her share of teens struggling with suicide over cyberbullying, PTSD, anxiety, depression, self harm, etc. 

I see no better way to honor her memory. Hell, she actually helped guide me when engaging some of the fans here after they would post suicidal status updates. My PM box overflows with them.

Anyway, bitterness is not a good thing for anyone to carry around with them Colt. In my experience there is far more good in this fandom than bad, and more than just a handful of individuals to help people with they need it, and protect those who feel they can't fight their own battles. 

And yes, these will be my final thoughts on the matter. On to happier things. 

• Brohoof 4

There are just as many reasons as there are haters. Some hate for good reasons, and some bad. Some hate because a toxic part of the fandom has the ruined the show for them. Others just don't understand and are quick to make judgements and generalizations.  

The way I see it: No matter who you are, there's always someone who is going to dislike you, so why let haters affect me?

• Brohoof 2

41 minutes ago, ChB said:

There are just as many reasons as there are haters. Some hate for good reasons, and some bad. Some hate because a toxic part of the fandom has the ruined the show for them. Others just don't understand and are quick to make judgements and generalizations.  

The way I see it: No matter who you are, there's always someone who is going to dislike you, so why let haters affect me?

Sounds like a moral straight out if the show.

First and foremost...Jeric and I came to a conclusion. I'm man enough to say I was wrong and we agreed to disagree about other underlying issues. That being said the dog has been put to rest and I ain't gonna wake it again.  

I'm going to play the devils advocate for both sides of the argument..the good and the bad.

Good - The community really came through for Ami Havivy and his daughter in her final days on the earth..still to this day people make sure he's taken care of and looked after.

Bad -  There's alot of stupid stuff that Bronies have done that have given the community a black eye. I won't go into details on what but a google search will give you a good idea on what I mean.

Good - Broke stereotypes, made many types of people comfortable with whom they are. (I've seen alot of transgender bronies actually find acceptance.)

Bad - People sexualize the cartoon and the over abundance has made it easily searchable on search engines even for the most innocent of things.

Good - Connected many people from all walks of life and built bridges where bridges couldn't have been built.

Bad - Massive waves of freak outs, drama over silly things

Good - The community made the world a tiny bit more tolerant to new things.

Bad - Over exposure and forcing people to watch the show where people became fans by assimilation not by an organic interest.

For some parents..I have to agree that if a fully grown adult was wearing children's merchandise was arguing with a clerk at a toy store over a cartoon horse not being in stock ( I've seen it happen before.)  or a mass of grown men all packing a theater with small children being noiser then the kids themselves..that creates a stigma/image for the community.

One bad apple spoils the orchard as it's said..however not every brony is like this but the small that are well this is why we have people looking down on bronies.

Edited by Qrow Branwen
  • Brohoof 4

Actually the demographic (according to Lauren fausts original vision (or maybe not. I might be misinterpreting this)) is all kids ages 4-10. That lessens the creep factor a bit.

19 minutes ago, ChB said:

Which episode(s)?

None. I'm just saying it sounds like it wouldn't be out of place in the show.

10 minutes ago, Taiyang Xiao Long said:

Cause if you look at it from an outsiders standpoint, it is pretty fuckin weird for 18-35y/o males to be so into a show aimed at a demographic of 4-10y/0 girls. 

This is what I have never understood. Sure, I admit the first time I heard about bronies, I was surprised about it. But what's with the hate? I think people care too much about what others do; I don't see the harm in someone watching a TV show. There are real problems in this world and that's not one of them.

• Brohoof 3

Just now, Tacodidra said:

This is what I have never understood. Sure, I admit the first time I heard about bronies, I was surprised about it. But what's with the hate? I think people care too much about what others do; I don't see the harm in someone watching a TV show. There are real problems in this world and that's not one of them.

Culture shock..it's no different from what Rock n Roll was in the 60s/70s to what MTV was in the 80s to what Marilyn Manson was in the 90s.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Tacodidra said:

There isn't any harm in enjoying a TV show. It's the other err...unfruitful things that irk people.

• Brohoof 1