Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rainbow Rocks or My Little Pony The Movie?

ultrairongorilla

Which Did You Like More Rainbow Rocks or My Little Pony The Movie (2017)  

42 users have voted

1. 1. Rainbow Rocks Or My Little Pony The Movie (2017)

• Rainbow Rocks
    • My Little Pony The Movie

Since Rainbow Rocks seems to be a fan favorite of the Equestria Girls series myself included, and people seem to like the My Little Pony The Movie a lot, which one did you like more?

This one is tough, so I'd say I like both about the same, but I'll lean more towards Rainbow Rocks right now, because I thought it took a few more chances, and I've seen it more times. But at the same time, I really liked the My Little Pony Movie a ton, despite some of the flaws it had.

Edited by ultrairongorilla
  • Brohoof 3

For me, it's close. I adore Rainbow Rocks. But I'm leaning toward the MLP Movie. In my opinion, it has the better soundtrack and it provides a better look at what the franchise as a whole has to offer. Whereas Rainbow Rocks is a spinoff that doesn't really relate to FiM at all.

• Brohoof 3

In my opinion, "Rainbow Rocks" was a better movie from both a villain & song standpoint.

I thought Tempest Shadow was awesome in the MLP Movie but that The Storm King wasn't all that intimidating.

On the other hand, I thought The Dazzlings were awesome & they even almost won in the end. (From my perspective, anyway.)

Also,  the only song I liked in the MLP Movie that I liked was "Open Up Your Eyes" while I liked every song in Rainbow Rocks.

• Brohoof 4

I don't think rainbow rocks comes close actually.The villains aren't layered at all and are all basically 3 different basic tropes. Tempest may not be unique, but at least there is more to her than her initial personality.

I'm RR, the mane 6 are made i to bickering idiots and twilight is made clueless because sunset meds to learn a lesson, I think it was handled well but it is something at the back of my head when I watch the movie. Moo the movie features all of the mane 6 positively, with maybe the exception of fluttershy, though she still isn't made an idiot, she just doesn't get enough screen time.

This one is more subjective, but aside from the siren songs, the music in rr is all very good but simple fim musoc, hard to distinguish at first glance. In mlp, we get one classic fim song and all the other ones are quite unique to the franchise and so we l done, open up your eyes and under our spell are both excellent songs, but Open has a strongest impact on the plot where as Under just reiterates what the sirens are all about and shows them get stronger.

Personally I find the no movie funnier, Sonata and Grubber are both pretty annoying but at least sonata made me chuckle. Aside from that though, I laughed more at ml p the movie.

Obviously the movie has much much better animation

• Brohoof 1

Well Rainbow Rocks was the peak of my excitement for FiM and seeing it in theaters is one of my all time favorite memories of the show and fandom.

As much as I enjoy the 2017 MLP movie, and would be willing to watch it again, I would say that I enjoyed Rainbow Rocks a little bit more.

• Brohoof 2

Rainbow Rocks and MLP The Movie have decent music in general, but overall I enjoyed the pony movie more. RR had the Dazzlings as new characters, but I think in the end, it was the variety in the new locations and characters that edge out the second EqG film for me.

• Brohoof 3

I dunno, I think the MLP Movie nudges it out a bit, though I feel RR had better villains and RR had a better use of the mane 6 as opposed to the Movie(which didn't do much with AJ, and practically forgot Fluttershy existed)

Edited by Prowl
  • Brohoof 2

While both suffered from being underbaked narrative and antagonist wise, the visuals and music in the latter of the two is a MILLION times better and I enjoyed the Movie a lot more than Rainbow Rocks. Actually, for me Rainbow Rocks is the weakest of the EQG films for me, so of course I wasn't going to pick it regardless of what was against it.

Edited by Vocal Analyst

Between the two, I prefer Rainbow Rocks as I was able to relate to what was going on as opposed to My Little Pony: The Movie where I cringed quite often. Granted, the movie does have its good merits and that can't be denied, but again, Rainbow Rocks just appealed to me better on a personal level.

• Brohoof 2

While I enjoy both films, I find the MLP movie to be more enjoyable than Rainbow Rocks. The main things that Rainbow Rocks can boast are the Dazzlings, the characterization of Sunset Shimmer, and the music, while the MLP movie has great locations, even better music, superb animation, the mane 6 being generally more likeable than the huMane 5, and a general sense of fun and adventure. Neither film is perfect, but in the end I'd watch the MLP movie first before RR.

• Brohoof 4

6 hours ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

I don't think rainbow rocks comes close actually.The villains aren't layered at all and are all basically 3 different basic tropes. Tempest may not be unique, but at least there is more to her than her initial personality.

I'm RR, the mane 6 are made i to bickering idiots and twilight is made clueless because sunset meds to learn a lesson, I think it was handled well but it is something at the back of my head when I watch the movie. Moo the movie features all of the mane 6 positively, with maybe the exception of fluttershy, though she still isn't made an idiot, she just doesn't get enough screen time.

This one is more subjective, but aside from the siren songs, the music in rr is all very good but simple fim musoc, hard to distinguish at first glance. In mlp, we get one classic fim song and all the other ones are quite unique to the franchise and so we l done, open up your eyes and under our spell are both excellent songs, but Open has a strongest impact on the plot where as Under just reiterates what the sirens are all about and shows them get stronger.

Personally I find the no movie funnier, Sonata and Grubber are both pretty annoying but at least sonata made me chuckle. Aside from that though, I laughed more at ml p the movie.

Obviously the movie has much much better animation

Those phone texting errors :P 

When I watched RR, it exceeded my expectations. When I watched MLP the movie, it went a bit below my expectations.

Even then, I like MLP the movie more because it has more action-thrilled scenes. 

• Brohoof 3

I found Rainbow Rocks pleasant to watch. I found My Little Pony: The Movie shrill and tedious. Rainbow Rocks is arguably more simplistic, and it’s less ambitious in style, but I think those are all reasons why I find it tolerable and the 2017 movie not; all of that ambition led to a film (MLP: The Movie) assembled from dreary visual and aural cliches. And the storytelling is sharper, more inventive, and more character-driven in Rainbow Rocks. 

• Brohoof 1

Rainbow Rocks for me. The Dazzlings are far better antagonists than Tempest purely because they aren’t apart of that annoying last minute redemption trend. In addition, Rainbow Rocks manages to salvage Sunset’s character by making her a likeable protagonist and worthy of filling Twilight’s role as leader. On the other hand, the MLP movie wasn’t horrible but I don’t think it’s very impressive either. It was on par with most of the 2 parters, with a pathetic redemption, basic story and lackluster antagonists. 

Edited by RulesofRarity
  • Brohoof 1

In my opinion, it is unfair to compare a would-be-for-DVD-movie like Rainbow Rocks [that also depends of EQG1 for continuity]; with the longer teathrical "pony movie" (that was in principle ment to be seen independently from the FiM mother series).

-> Maybe if you compare the combo EQG1&2 as a whole then... (ignoring the visual/music money update, storywise...)