Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

sports Baseball Hall of Fame Balloting 2018

Luigi

On January 24th, The National Baseball Hall of Fame ballots will chose their next inductees. I made a list of these candidates and sorted them into a few categories. I've also included how many years they've been eligible. No one on this list actually falls under this rule, but if you're not elected on your tenth year of eligibility, you automatically drop out.

First, the players I think will be in the Hall of Fame for sure

Vladimir Gurerro (2nd year)

Chipper Jones (1st year)

Jim Thome (1st year)

Next the candidates who I doubt will ever be elected.

Barry Bonds - Performance Enhancing Drugs (6th year)

Roger Clemens - Performance Enhancing Drugs (6th year)

Manny Ramirez - Performance Enhancing Drugs (2nd year)

Gary Sheffield - Performance Enhancing Drugs (4th year)

Sammy Sosa - Performance Enhancing Drugs, once used an illegal bat (6th year)

These are a few candidates that I think have a shot, but might not be in this soon.

Trevor Hoffman (3rd year)

Mike Mussina (5th year)

Larry Walker (8th year)

Johnny Damon (1st year)

Livan Hernandez (1st year)

Andruw Jones (1st year)

Carlos Lee (1st year)

Hideki Matsui (1st year)

And here are the rest of them, which I have no idea what the outcome will be.

Chris Carpenter (1st year)

Orlando Hudson (1st year)

Aubrey Huff (1st year)

Jason Isringhausen (1st year)

Jeff Kent (5th year)

Brad Lidge (1st year)

Edgar Martinez (9th year)

Fred McGriff (9th year)

Kevin Millwood (1st year)

Jamie Moyer (1st year)

Scott Rolen (1st year)

Johan Santana (1st year)

Curt Schilling (6th year)

Omar Vizquel (1st year)

Billy Wagner (3rd year)

Kerry Wood (1st year)

Carlos Zambrano (1st year)

So what do you think? Who has the best shot at making it in this year?

• Brohoof 1

@Baby Dashie

I know little to nothing about how Sports elections work. But for you, son, I'll give it a try.

Hmm...none of them are on Teams my family root for, so I'll just vote for Inney, Minney, Miny.....

Andruw Jones

Sorry if I had disappointed you.

• Brohoof 1

Agree with your first three selections, those guys should and likely will get in. I'm one of the few that would vote for Barry Bonds and Manny Ramirez as they were supremely talented and would have been stars under any circumstances (though I may have a little Red Sox bias with the latter hehe)

Edit: Forgot to mention him but Hoffman should get in as well. If he doesn't then you really can't elect any closer besides Mariano

Players like Andruw Jones and Johan Santana are interesting - they were quite possibly the best at their position for several years but sharply declined afterwards. Someone like Omar Vizquel is the opposite, as his case is built upon longevity, but I don't feel as though any of the three will be elected

Edited by Frostgage

Any of the first three players on your list will probably make it in. Not so sure about any of the others. I really want my hometown boy Larry Walker to get in (he was one of my favorite players as a kid), but there's too much of a stigma associated with Denver's high altitude. 

• Brohoof 2

I have a strong feeling four will make it: Vlad, Chipper, Thome, and Hoffman. Hoffman missed by five votes last year, but now has a +11 on Ryan Thibodaux's Hall of Fame tracker, and first-time voters have voted him near-unanimously. Vlad (+34 with no losses), Chipper, and Thome are polling well over 90%. Edgar Martinez is polling at 80.9%, Mussina at 73.2%.

If I had a vote (and didn't apply a strategic ballot, like what Ryan Fagan did), this would be my ballot:

1. Barry Bonds
  2. Roger Clemens
  3. Vladimir Guerrero (+1)
  4. Trevor Hoffman
  5. Chipper Jones
  6. Edgar Martinez
  7. Mike Mussina
  8. Scott Rolen
  9. Jim Thome
  10. Billy Wagner

Curt Schilling would be dropped off my ballot. Hell of a player marred by some really atrocious and disgusting comments the last few years.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Prospekt said:

Any of the first three players on your list will probably make it in. Not so sure about any of the others. I really want my hometown boy Larry Walker to get in (he was one of my favorite players as a kid), but there's too much of a stigma associated with Denver's high altitude. 

This is true. He'd be a nice addition, but I read he wasn't as good on the road. He also has a pretty nice sense of humor. Look!

• Brohoof 1