Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming 70$ for....cardboard ? really nintendo?

Angle Alastor

This is easily one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. Look, I like creative things and pormoting creativity to young minds, but...cardboard? Seriously? What does the cardboard add? Just a DIY controller casing, for $70. That is purely horrendous. The Switch is still missing basic features. YouTube, messaging, a web browser, and Nintendo announces this??? I legit am now regretting my Switch purchase now. I know, this product is not made for me, I get that, but..It is the fact that Nintendo's priorities are clearly fucked. Instead of first putting basic features into their console, they focus on something that feels like a bigger gimmick than the Wii at least 1,000x over. Damn it I wish this entire thing was just a huge joke.

• Brohoof 6

7 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

This is easily one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. Look, I like creative things and pormoting creativity to young minds, but...cardboard? Seriously? What does the cardboard add? Just a DIY controller casing, for $70. That is purely horrendous. The Switch is still missing basic features. YouTube, messaging, a web browser, and Nintendo announces this??? I legit am now regretting my Switch purchase now. I know, this product is not made for me, I get that, but..It is the fact that Nintendo's priorities are clearly fucked. Instead of first putting basic features into their console, they focus on something that feels like a bigger gimmick than the Wii at least 1,000x over. Damn it I wish this entire thing was just a huge joke.

and if cardboard doesnt wook hey hello to Styrofoam XD

5 minutes ago, Qrow Branwen said:

I like the way you think @Sparklefan1234

It's a gift. ^_^

Also, does that add-on serve any real purpose or is it just cosmetic?

@Steam Control

The Styrofoam is for the winter season to make your Nintendo Switch festive. :P

Edited by Sparklefan1234

16 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Honestly, I still have no clue why the Switch has been so successful. It's so bare-bones. It went back to Friend Codes (WHY Nintendo, JUST WHY), and somehow they expect people to pay for their online service, which they're being completely silent about (they really should have been talking about that, by now, because Nintendo expecting people to pay for their online services is ridiculous).

It just shows that success isn't tied to quality.

But hey, at least this gimmick is a side feature. It's not like the Wii Remote and Motion Control which were forced upon us on the Wii. It really made me hate the Wii even more, in addition to the subpar games that Nintendo produced for it.

• Brohoof 2

Hmmm... I'm not sure what to make of this idea. On the one hand, it does possess potential especially if it gets marketed correctly. On the other hand, it could backfire resulting in negative marketing for the console.

• Brohoof 3

I like that they made this. I mean, obviously I wouldn't find it any fun at all, but it's not for me. It's "for the kids", and I'm far from that demographic. And even if it doesn't go over well with kids, I'm still glad Nintendo's being creative. That's how they stand out from others in the gaming industry, and not only survive but thrive.

This cardboard thingamajig is kinda odd, but it's also thinking so far out of the box that I'm excited to see what they do next.

1 hour ago, Kyoshi said:

The Switch is still missing basic features. YouTube, messaging, a web browser, and Nintendo announces this??? I legit am now regretting my Switch purchase now. I know, this product is not made for me, I get that, but..It is the fact that Nintendo's priorities are clearly fucked.

Umm. Seriously? It's a console, not a PC.

• Brohoof 3

2 minutes ago, Totally Lyra said:

The PS4 has a web browser & I think there's a Youtube app as well.* 

*I'm not sure about the second thing.

• Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Totally Lyra said:

I have been dealing with people all day telling me this. The Xbox One has those features. The PS4 has those features. The 3DS has most of those features. The Switch doesn't even have basic messaging to people on your friends list. Something that has been around for over a decade. This is a portable console with a touch screen. Apps and media functions make more sense on this sytem than any other console, yet it is one of the only systems that doesn't have it, besides Hulu and that took a while to get. And to say the Switch doesn't need this stuff because it is a 'console', I can get a bunch of boxes from Walmart for free to use for crafting projects. I would take apps and things that actually give the Switch more functions over some stupid cardboard gimmick any day.

1 hour ago, Envy said:

So... Nintendo fans everywhere are calling this "Genius!".

4RrX5GJ.gif

Pretty much. If any other company wanted to do this, they would be laughed out of the industry.

• Brohoof 2

19 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

The PS4 has a web browser & I think there's a Youtube app as well.* 

*I'm not sure about the second thing.

That may be true, but what I'm saying is that those aren't priorities and shouldn't be. Sure Sony may have had some extra time on their hands and extra money to spend, but that doesn't mean those are necessary.

• Brohoof 2

That may be true, but what I'm saying is that those aren't priorities and shouldn't be. Sure Sony may have had some extra time on their hands and extra money to spend, but that doesn't mean those are necessary.

And cardboard controller casings should be priority? I don't think so.

• Brohoof 3

8 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

And cardboard controller casings should be priority? I don't think so.

As a result of being innovative and finding different ways to give people fun, yes, yes it is.

• Brohoof 1

As a result of being innovative and finding different ways to give people fun, yes, yes it is.

It is cardboard. Nothing about that is innovative. Crafting materials have been around for centuries. What about the Kinect, an actual piece of technology? That thing was actually innovative too and unlike this cardboard garbage, it provided people with an ACTUAL new way to play games but everyone hated it and thought it was casual shit. Yet, people are losing their shit over cardboard and thinking Nintendo is a god for thinking of it. 

What a sad day in gaming this is.

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Totally Lyra said:

As has been stated by other members, consoles nowadays regularly have multimedia functions, including web browsers, Netflix apps, etc. It has been this way for years. Even past Nintendo consoles including the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS all have these functionalities.

More functionality in consoles is good. Because of having Sony consoles, I have never had to think about really needing DVD players, Blu-Ray players, and now streaming devices. Having all in one is great.

Besides, lets talk about the Switch itself. The Switch is unique in that it can be played through the TV or it can be portable. This makes it a particularly useful device for things like Netflix. Not everyone is in a situation to be bothered by this, a lot of us do have tablets, our own TVs, etc., but not everyone lives like this. For someone having a Switch with Netflix could be their opportunity to watch what they want, while their family/partner/roommate does something else on the TV.

Plus, something that would apply to more of us: When going on trips, it might be nice to have a lighter load.

...But yes, let Nintendo focus on marketing cardboard.

• Brohoof 4

5 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

What about the Kinect, an actual piece of technology?

That too was a gimmick that was Microsoft's answer to Playstation's Eyetoy, which itself was a gimmick. (Or maybe it was the thing that came afterwards that I don't remember the name of, nor care about) The "game" it came with was OK for a few minutes of screwing around, but it was a tech demo at best and games that incorporated it as a feature was useless at best. Remember when the Kinect was forced on everyone at one time, and nobody liked it?

10 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

What a sad day in gaming this is.

h7683kkn1oa01.jpg

This is at a Microcenter. When nobody can buy a GPU because some cunt came along and ordered 50 cards for his bullshit cryptomining rig. It isn't just gamers like myself not being able to buy a GPU, it's the 3D modelers, the video producers, those who are a part of Folding@Home. Nobody likes this, and only those dickheads who buy every card for their mining rig are the ones that will profit from that.

This is what a real sad day in gaming looks like.

Semi-Relevant:

Real thoughts: Seems like a really goofy idea, but not one outside of Nintendo's usual

Edited by Prowl
  • Brohoof 1