Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming 70$ for....cardboard ? really nintendo?

Angle Alastor

46 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

It is cardboard. Nothing about that is innovative. Crafting materials have been around for centuries.

Yes, crafting materials have been around for decades, centuries, millennia even. But you know what? So has metal, plastic, silicon, electricity, the list goes on. It's not the fact that the material exists, it's how it's used that is innovative.

48 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

What about the Kinect, an actual piece of technology? That thing was actually innovative too and unlike this cardboard garbage, it provided people with an ACTUAL new way to play games

I didn't say it provided a new way to play games, I said it provided a new way to have fun.

50 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

What a sad day in gaming this is.

Then don't buy it?

I could go on, but the fact that I'm already repeating myself leads me to believe you're not actually listening.

• Brohoof 5

I think that things started going downhill after Iwata's passing... :( But IMO I don't really think that it's all bad. While it is overpriced in the end, it does serve a nice purpose and it teaches kids that they have the power to create and do impressive things out of almost nothing. Although, $70 doesn't really seem like nothing to me. :P 

Looks cute and is actually kind of what's hot right now for kids. Very hands on and interactive. 

I went to a tech startup thing last month and they sold small build your own computers for kids using cardboard, screen, wires, Minecraft, and raspberry pi as a base, and that was selling for $300!

I wouldn't buy it, but I get why.

• Brohoof 5

2 minutes ago, PiratePony said:

Looks cute and is actually kind of what's hot right now for kids. Very hands on and interactive. 

I went to a tech startup thing last month and they sold small build your own computers for kids using cardboard, screen, wires, Minecraft, and raspberry pi as a base, and that was selling for $300!

I wouldn't buy it, but I get why.

That would explain the price. I agree!

Plus, it must be specially made, so the cost of materials require more money in order to make a profit. Which is what ALL business NEED to do in order to STAY in business.

• Brohoof 1

$70? Sounds overpriced to me. I wouldn't buy it. And I think Nintendo has bigger priorities with the Switch still relatively new. But I could see why a kid might enjoy this product. Maybe it'll do well.

• Brohoof 2

10 hours ago, Totally Lyra said:

Yes, crafting materials have been around for decades, centuries, millennia even. But you know what? So has metal, plastic, silicon, electricity, the list goes on. It's not the fact that the material exists, it's how it's used that is innovative.

It doesn't actually DO anything though, that's the issue. Sure, it relies on imagination, I guess, but anything that can be done with it doesn't actually need the Switch for anything, nor does the Switch need it.

I didn't say it provided a new way to play games, I said it provided a new way to have fun.

Nintendo really has to convince me on this one.

Then don't buy it?

I could go on, but the fact that I'm already repeating myself leads me to believe you're not actually listening.

Oh I'm listening, definitely. You know who isn't doing that? Nintendo. Here's the thing, I would be 100% okay with this useless stuff IF Nintendo would address things that the fans have been wondering for a while. Where are the features that I mentioned? Where's the Virtual Console? My main issue is their obvious skewed sense of priority. They will gladly troll people on Twitter just because they are curious on when the next Direct will happen, but then they will flaunt some cardboard cutout nonsense as the next big thing. It feels like Nintendo isn't listening to the fans in any way whatsoever. If they would at least throw a bone to the many, many Switch owners that have zero interest in this cardboard stuff and not leave us in the dark on things, then I wouldn't care at all. I like the Switch, but it is not a perfect machine and it has many flaws. People want to know what's going on because people are curious and passionate about the system, I am too! I actually have a blog in the works detailing how I think the Switch is a resounding success with its concept, but because of that, I want to see it do more, because it can and the more they add to it, the better it gets, especially since it is a portable console. Instead, it feels like their priorities are not on that.

So yeah, I wouldn't care one iota if Nintendo would just be more clear on other things regarding this system and they simply haven't been.

You know, I almost suspect that this started as a Japan only thing since their market tends to embrace oddities like this. At some point someone thought it would be clever to bring it here and nobody told them ... "bad idea". 

It's the only thing that makes sense because this wouldn't interest teen and adult gamers, and American parents do tend to be a but more pragmatic than Nintendo thinks. My kids are almost adults now, but I can see myself easily saying the title of this topic out loud. 

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure what Nintendo was thinking. 

15 hours ago, Envy said:

Honestly, I still have no clue why the Switch has been so successful. It's so bare-bones. It went back to Friend Codes (WHY Nintendo, JUST WHY), and somehow they expect people to pay for their online service, which they're being completely silent about (they really should have been talking about that, by now, because Nintendo expecting people to pay for their online services is ridiculous).

It just shows that success isn't tied to quality.

They have the best third party support they've had since 1995? They already have great first party support and second party support with more to come? Bayonetta? Metroid? A great new Mario game? New IPs? And the fact that they have games like Skyrim and Doom on it now is proof that third party devs are taking them seriously now, even Sony considers them a threat. You know, the one who's sold over 60 million PS4s? The Switch has been selling for a reason. It has actual appeal, and it seems like you're ignoring that.

• Brohoof 3

6 minutes ago, Celli said:

They have the best third party support they've had since 1995? They already have great first party support and second party support with more to come? Bayonetta? Metroid? A great new Mario game? New IPs? And the fact that they have games like Skyrim and Doom on it now is proof that third party devs are taking them seriously now, even Sony considers them a threat. You know, the one who's sold over 60 million PS4s? The Switch has been selling for a reason. It has actual appeal, and it seems like you're ignoring that.

I don't own one, but two of my close friends do and they love the games that have come out. Personally, I've always been a supporter of the experience over the technology, so if the fans love what they are getting then the developers are doing something right. 

This new .... add-on ... is strange, but it shouldn't really be an indictment on the system and games themselves. 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Jeric said:

I don't own one, but two of my close friends do and they love the games that have come out. Personally, I've always been a supporter of the experience over the technology, so if the fans love what they are getting then the developers are doing something right. 

People seem to miss that people care more about games on a game console before crap like Netflix and YouTube. If you don't have the games then people won't care about those additional apps.

• Brohoof 7

8 minutes ago, Celli said:

People seem to miss that people care more about games on a game console before crap like Netflix and YouTube. If you don't have the games then people won't care about those additional apps.

Well, considering that just about everything including my refrigerator* can stream Netflix, I don't see that being an important factor anymore considering most households have numerous ways to get Netflix on a myriad of devices. And that's a Netflix issue anyway, something that some overlooked in complaints about that lack of a feature. Netflix needs to make an app. Nintendo gets a pass on this one. 

*My fridge can't do that but it seems like Netflix and YouTube streaming have become that ubiquitous. 

• Brohoof 3

Here are my thoughts on the Nintendo Labo:

I find this to be another neat innovative idea as Nintendo likes to find more ways for players to have fun. I bet when it's launched the Nintendo Switch has many more ways to plays. It's like WarioWare Smooth Moves with all the different ways of using the Wii Remote.

I think it will be better if the price goes down to a suitable price as $69.99-$79.99 for each kit is a bit over the top in my opinion. Still, let's hope this idea performs well. It might even surprise us with how it plays depending on the creations. Don't forget, the Nintendo Labo includes software that goes with it.

Edited by Photon Jet
  • Brohoof 3

For the record, the pricing is listed as $69 and the release date is 4/20.

Make of that what you will.

18 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Well, considering that just about everything including my refrigerator* can stream Netflix, I don't see that being an important factor anymore considering most households have numerous ways to get Netflix on a myriad of devices. And that's a Netflix issue anyway, something that some overlooked in complaints about that lack of a feature. Netflix needs to make an app. Nintendo gets a pass on this one. 

*My fridge can't do that but it seems like Netflix and YouTube streaming have become that ubiquitous. 

This, 100%

• Brohoof 2

Besides the pricing, my main concern is the durability. How long would it last without breaking, considering the way kids generally handle toys?

• Brohoof 2

53 minutes ago, Celli said:

So they have a few (really old, by the way, because the Switch is WEAK, and that will hurt it) 3rd party ports, and that's all that seems to be coming in. Let me know when they get a brand new 3rd party title released alongside PS4/Xbox/PC. The Switch is not viable as a machine to play third parties until it can do that. I mean, the one big third party title I want which would fit perfect on a Nintendo console - Kingdom Hearts III, I still have to have a PS4 for because not even that can be released on the Switch.

"Great first party support"? There are not too many titles on the Switch worth noting that are not Wii U ports or a Wii U game that got duel released on the Switch (Breath of the Wild). I mean, there's Super Mario Odyssey, which is the only really megaton first party Switch exclusive at this point, and is still the only one that not only has been released but is still the only one that we have any actual solid info on (Metroid Prime 4 is still only known by a title screen, and could be years out. Pokemon has only been mentioned). Otherwise, you have B-tier first party games. Games that you really have to question even spending $60 on. And if you don't want to spend $60 on them, you're not going to get to play them for five years because Nintendo overprices everything and never has sales.

56 minutes ago, Celli said:

Well, some people do care about them. I listed a couple of circumstances. At the very least it's nice to have these functions on all of your devices so you have all kinds of options.

Besides, I think the reason that this ever got brought up in this topic to begin with is because this venture of Nintendo looks to be barely producing any games either. It's more of a side feature with apps, and what looks to be maybe one robot game? So I think that's why people are claiming that Nintendo needs to fix the Switch as a system first. And you can't deny its infrastructure is very lacking. Even Switch owners want something more, which is why that fake update video was circulating so widely around a week ago. Switch owners don't want cardboard, they want this.

• Brohoof 2

While it's a cute idea, I think it'll fail because it's unnecessary for starters. Second, it seems to be only for these kinds of Wii Sports type games. Third, the current competition of mobiles don't allow innovations like WII was in it's time to flourish like it did. Fourth, the price

• Brohoof 1

16 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Seriously? What does the cardboard add? Just a DIY controller casing, for $70.

15 hours ago, Totally Lyra said:

like that they made this. I mean, obviously I wouldn't find it any fun at all, but it's not for me. It's "for the kids", and I'm far from that demographic. And even if it doesn't go over well with kids, I'm still glad Nintendo's being creative. That's how they stand out from others in the gaming industry, and not only survive but thrive.

This cardboard thingamajig is kinda odd, but it's also thinking so far out of the box that I'm excited to see what they do next.

I think Totally Lyra says it best. In a world where so many are afraid to step outside of the box, it's refreshing to see an idea so unique even if it is stupid. And it's completely optional, so it's not like it hinders core users in any capacity at all.

16 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

The Switch is still missing basic features. YouTube, messaging, a web browser, and Nintendo announces this???

16 hours ago, Envy said:

Honestly, I still have no clue why the Switch has been so successful. It's so bare-bones.

13 hours ago, Envy said:

As has been stated by other members, consoles nowadays regularly have multimedia functions, including web browsers, Netflix apps, etc. It has been this way for years. Even past Nintendo consoles including the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS all have these functionalities.

Except virtually no one uses web browsers on consoles. To top that off, Nintendo is pushing these features out at a later date because their top priority is games. I know it's an amazing concept that apparently people care more about games in a game console than multi-media especially when the average person has a smartphone that can do all those things and they know that these multi-media features are coming at a later date. People can be patient, and people buy games first and foremost for a game console. It's really not that perplexing.

The Xbox One released without much of a game line up and took forever to get games and focused heavily on multi-media features and it is still struggling to sell. PS4 sales were slow until more games came out as well. I don't see how this is difficult to understand in the slightest.

14 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

A sad day in gaming is people complaining about a lack of multi-media features on a game console and complaining they are only focusing on games.

16 hours ago, Envy said:

So... Nintendo fans everywhere are calling this "Genius!".

Who are these fans "everywhere"? The few anecdotal experiences you've seen in some comments on sites? You've seen maybe what... 500 comments? Less? Out of the 10 million people who own a Switch. Anecdotal evidence is hardly evidence at all.

17 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

I legit am now regretting my Switch purchase now. I know, this product is not made for me, I get that

So you admit that you knew this product wasn't for you but you bought it anyway?

13 hours ago, Envy said:

More functionality in consoles is good.

That functionality was promised and is coming, it's just the top priority is games. It's not difficult to understand. The Switch hasn't even been out for a year, so the PS4 and X1 have a 3+ year head start, so they are spending their first year focused on games so they have a library built up as quickly as possible. These features are coming, it's already been stated that Nintendo wants them, they just wouldn't have them at launch. Hulu just arrived not that long ago, so it's clear that things are on the way.

13 hours ago, Vulon Bii said:

That too was a gimmick that was Microsoft's answer to Playstation's Eyetoy, which itself was a gimmick.

Which in of itself was just trying to copy the Wii Motion Plus. So you are correct.

As far as I can see, most consumers of Nintendo are people that always consumed Nintendo since they were kids long ago. Most kids nowadays play Sony and Microsoft consoles/videogames. I mean that mostly adults are the ones that consume Nintendo nowadays, and this comes with a social profile of Nintendo fanboys. 

What I'm trying to say is that, at least, from my point of view, most Nintendo consumers will buy Nintendo products no matter how they are like, because it's Nintendo.

Edited by Ando333

14 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

It is cardboard. Nothing about that is innovative. Crafting materials have been around for centuries. What about the Kinect, an actual piece of technology? That thing was actually innovative too and unlike this cardboard garbage, it provided people with an ACTUAL new way to play games but everyone hated it and thought it was casual shit. Yet, people are losing their shit over cardboard and thinking Nintendo is a god for thinking of it. 

Everyone hated the Kinect because it sucked. Can you name any good Kinect exclusives?

And LOL @ the Kinect being "A new way to play games". 

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Nintendo really has to convince me on this one.

13 hours ago, Totally Lyra said:

Except they don't because it's an optional game, with optional add-ons that isn't for everyone. They explicitly stated it's intended for kids. It's not required in any capacity to continue enjoying other games. I don't see why people are freaking out over this.

Oh I'm listening, definitely. You know who isn't doing that? Nintendo

Pretty sure you're wrong.

Kimishimi was one of the first presidents of Nintendo to openly talk about criticism Nintendo had and even admit their mistakes. He said the Wii was a fluke and should have been HD. He said the Wii U failed because of Nintendo's poor advertising and support and the design simply wasn't what the market wanted. He has been doing TONS of listening.

People have demanded a change in Zelda for years, Breath of the Wild was that change. People have been demanding a true feeling successor to Mario Galaxy and Mario 64 and Mario Ody is that. People wanted the Pro controller to be useable with ALL games this time and Nintendo did that by putting the Gyroscope and NFC reader in it so you never HAD to use the Joycons if you  wanted to use the Switch as a home console, unlike the Wii U which required you to keep the Tablet close by.

Fans have demanded Metroid Prime 4 for over a decade and it's finally announced.

Nintendo advertised the Switch far better, showing all it could do and everything it was. People understood what it was.

I originally had doubts about the Switch, but I'm happy to report I was wrong. The Switch is doing well and it makes perfect sense. Nintendo is working directly with third party devs to get serious games on the Switch which has been demanded for YEARS. Dark Souls, Doom, Wolf 2, all on or coming to the Switch. Final Fantasy XV is in production, along with many other games.

To top this off, Nintendo got serious about exclusives. Not counting Breath of the Wild due to being a port, but Mario Ody was a major hit, along with the sleeper hit Mario+Rabbids, Splatoon 2 sold well, as did ARMS. To top that off we have Project Octopath Traveler by the makers of the acclaimed hit Bravely Default and Bravely Second. The demo impressed people and that is coming out this year.

The fact is that Nintendo has listened they are delivering requested exclusive games and third party support that people want. The only one not listening seems to be you. Pleased do some research.

I like the Switch, but it is not a perfect machine and it has many flaws.

Virtually every Switch owner admits these flaws, myself included.

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

You know, I almost suspect that this started as a Japan only thing since their market tends to embrace oddities like this. At some point someone thought it would be clever to bring it here and nobody told them ... "bad idea". 

Nah Nintendo has been pretty clear that American audiences are a huge part of their strategy. So it's clear it was intended for all regions. America likes handhelds too, so it actually made sense, along with the tablet and smartphone craze.

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

This new .... add-on ... is strange, but it shouldn't really be an indictment on the system and games themselves. 

Precisely! Well said!

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

Well, considering that just about everything including my refrigerator* can stream Netflix

Some fridges actually can stream Netflix lol.

35 minutes ago, Envy said:

So they have a few (really old, by the way, because the Switch is WEAK, and that will hurt it) 3rd party ports,

Incorrect. Doom 2016 is not that old. It came out only a year later and people were hugely impressed on how well it ran on a small device like the Switch. Wolf 2 comes out only a few months after the release, Sonic Mania came out at the same time as everyone else, Sonic Forces, etc. Not to mention Dark Souls Remastered is an enhanced port, not a straight port and the Switch is getting that on day one. It got the LA Noire remaster at the same time as the PS4, etc. These ports are also doing very well on the Switch, in fact some of them are even out performing their original releases. These ports are important because it is showing third party devs that the Switch is profitable. This expands grounds to making interest in new games on the Switch, and exclusives. Porting is a huge part of this industry.

37 minutes ago, Envy said:

Let me know when they get a brand new 3rd party title released alongside PS4/Xbox/PC.

Sonic Forces, Sonic Mania, Secret of Mana, etc etc.

Not to mention they are already penciled in to get exclusives from third parties like Mario+Rabbids and the upcoming Project Octopath Traveler.

39 minutes ago, Envy said:

The Switch is not viable as a machine to play third parties until it can do that.

The sales numbers for third party ports would disagree with you.

39 minutes ago, Envy said:

I mean, the one big third party title I want which would fit perfect on a Nintendo console - Kingdom Hearts III, I still have to have a PS4 for because not even that can be released on the Switch.

That is actually untrue, I advise you to research a bit more before making such statements. The game can indeed be ported to the Switch due to no exclusive contract and the Switch supports Unreal 4 natively. The director of the game even says he's not against the idea.

1 minute ago, Ando333 said:

As far as I can see, most consumers of Nintendo are people that always consumed Nintendo since they were kids long ago. Most kids nowadays play Sony and Microsoft consoles/videogames. I mean that mostly adults are the ones that consume Nintendo nowadays, and this comes with a social profile of Nintendo fanboys. 

What I'm trying to say is that, at least, from my point of view, most Nintendo consumers will buy Nintendo products no matter how they are like, because it's Nintendo.

Except people are talking about why they like the Switch. Adults live busier lives now. Being able to take your full AAA titles on the go is a godsend to most. These people are not all buying out of fanboyism, they are buying out of practicality and genuine intrigue. There is genuine enjoyment from the Switch.

I was actually a naysayer of the system until about right after E3 2017 where it was clear that the Switch was going to be a success. I went out and bought one last week and I love the little system quite a bit. It has a lot of flaws, sure and things I would do differently, but I am by no means a Nintendo fanboy considering I was known for criticizing them for the past 5+ years almost.

To dismiss everything as just "Nintendo fans will buy anything" is kind of a cop-out from having to elaborate or explain.

3 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

Everyone hated the Kinect because it sucked. Can you name any good Kinect exclusives?

And LOL @ the Kinect being "A new way to play games". 

Also placing two cameras to create 3D fields in a device is far from innovation, it has been done plenty of times before.

3 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

Incorrect. Doom 2016 is not that old. It came out only a year later and people were hugely impressed on how well it ran on a small device like the Switch. Wolf 2 comes out only a few months after the release, Sonic Mania came out at the same time as everyone else, Sonic Forces, etc. Not to mention Dark Souls Remastered is an enhanced port, not a straight port and the Switch is getting that on day one. It got the LA Noire remaster at the same time as the PS4, etc. These ports are also doing very well on the Switch, in fact some of them are even out performing their original releases. These ports are important because it is showing third party devs that the Switch is profitable. This expands grounds to making interest in new games on the Switch, and exclusives. Porting is a huge part of this industry.

Sonic Forces, Sonic Mania, Secret of Mana, etc etc.

Not to mention they are already penciled in to get exclusives from third parties like Mario+Rabbids and the upcoming Project Octopath Traveler.

The sales numbers for third party ports would disagree with you.

That is actually untrue, I advise you to research a bit more before making such statements. The game can indeed be ported to the Switch due to no exclusive contract and the Switch supports Unreal 4 natively. The director of the game even says he's not against the idea.

Okay... I'm ignorant, I'm wrong. I don't really know much about these third party games. I apologize. I see people citing Skyrim as being an ancient port. I ignorantly thought Doom was just the same thing, and not a new game. Thank you for correcting me. I never really thought of Sonic games being released as being special because Sega has always been releasing Sonic games on Nintendo consoles (past when they dropped out of the console market), correct me if I'm wrong. I mean perhaps not every single Sonic title ever, but a lot of them.

I had no idea they were selling so well on the Switch.

Oh, I completely forgot about that tidbit about Kingdom Hearts III potentially coming to the Switch later.

So... Overall, I admit me being a Wii U owner, and me only playing a limited amount of franchises the Switch just can't have any hope of appealing to me right now, but I guess that's just me...

40 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

Except virtually no one uses web browsers on consoles. To top that off, Nintendo is pushing these features out at a later date because their top priority is games. I know it's an amazing concept that apparently people care more about games in a game console than multi-media especially when the average person has a smartphone that can do all those things and they know that these multi-media features are coming at a later date. People can be patient, and people buy games first and foremost for a game console. It's really not that perplexing.

The Xbox One released without much of a game line up and took forever to get games and focused heavily on multi-media features and it is still struggling to sell. PS4 sales were slow until more games came out as well. I don't see how this is difficult to understand in the slightest.

49 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

That functionality was promised and is coming, it's just the top priority is games. It's not difficult to understand. The Switch hasn't even been out for a year, so the PS4 and X1 have a 3+ year head start, so they are spending their first year focused on games so they have a library built up as quickly as possible. These features are coming, it's already been stated that Nintendo wants them, they just wouldn't have them at launch. Hulu just arrived not that long ago, so it's clear that things are on the way.

You're probably right. I'm not sure I've ever used a web browser on a home console. I just think that the with the Switch being a portable device and having a much better screen than the 3DS, it is more viable, like a regular tablet. That's why I want to see it. I've known people in the past that have liked using web browsers on consoles (like on the Wii), so I thought it was a thing.

I have, however, used YouTube on my Wii and Wii U. Now I watch things pretty much exclusively through my PC, but as I said, I think I would enjoy that on the Switch. Especially when I go on trips, which... may be a thing soon.

It comes down to me... being the stubborn closed-minded idiot I always am, there just aren't enough games on the Switch for me to have personally been able to understand that point, but I'm wrong...

45 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

Who are these fans "everywhere"? The few anecdotal experiences you've seen in some comments on sites? You've seen maybe what... 500 comments? Less? Out of the 10 million people who own a Switch. Anecdotal evidence is hardly evidence at all.

I think it was mainly because I went on other forums and saw members I usually respected, who would usually be like "meh" calling this genius, alongside the sea of Nintendo fans calling this "genius", as well.

Overall, despite what I posted here, which is just me latching on to my personal complaints about Nintendo, I'm not too bothered by this. This could be really fun for my nephew, who will soon have a Switch... But for $70... after the price of a Switch, I'm not going to bring it up to my parents or sister.

I really don't get what all the fuss is about. To me it seems no different than the N64 Mic or the Donkey Kong bongos. It seems harmless enough. It's not like it's gonna be on every Switch game. It will be on a few games at most. Seems like it'd be a cute birthday present for a kid.

And consoles are about games, not multimedia features. They're cool to have, but people have smart phones for that.

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Key Sharkz said:

I think Totally Lyra says it best. In a world where so many are afraid to step outside of the box, it's refreshing to see an idea so unique even if it is stupid. And it's completely optional, so it's not like it hinders core users in any capacity at all.

Thinking of new and unique ideas is fine, even if they are insanely stupid like this, but Nintendo should really get their shit together first before doing this little venture. Like I said, the Switch still lacks basic features and the UI is as basic as it could possibly get. The fake 5.0 firmware that someone made packs in loads of features that people actually want and the Switch currently lacks. If they would concentrate on that first or at least give us something to go on like some info, then I wouldn't be as irritated.

Virtually no one? Except I use the Xbox One web browser all the time. I like to perhaps play a game for a bit, then take a quick break, perhaps check up on the forums or something or a gaming news site. The web browser allows me to do that with ease and it is very nice to have. The Switch would only benefit from that, as I could do the same thing. I could be in bed, playing a game, then I could just boot up the web browser and have a larger viewing area than my phone provides, and it would be easier than pulling out my phone anyways.

Everyone keeps saying "but it is a games console it needs games games games games!" Yeah, that is true. So why the hell are people treating this new cardboard thing like christ in video game form? If people only care about the games and only games, then they should be protesting this garbage.

So you admit that you knew this product wasn't for you but you bought it anyway?

Labo is what I was referring to there. I understand that Labo isn't for me whatsoever, but Nintendo needs to stop with the cryptic, not telling us anything bullshit about other projects. I actually really like the Switch, though now I have a small fear for its future.

54 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

Also placing two cameras to create 3D fields in a device is far from innovation, it has been done plenty of times before.

That's not my point. The Kinect wasn't good, that was explained to me earlier but I already knew that. However, it still was better than this cardboard shit, because the cardboard literally adds nothing to the experience. The Kinect at least did have something like that, granted it just wasn't very good. Everyone hated it because it was casual shit and it didn't add much to games, but then I ask, what the hell is Labo? A bunch of pointless fluff. Yet, people are losing their shit like it is the best thing ever.

Of course we can't get the opinions of 10 million people. I've seen enough though to draw some sort of conclusion. I was monitoring the YouTube comments as soon as Labo was announced and the majority of people were saying that this is 'so creative' and 'extremely innovative' and 'Nintendo always knows how to think differently' and all sorts of other praises for cardboard. Many people are treating this like it is an evolution in gaming, when it is literally a step back.

2 minutes ago, ChikoritaCheezits said:

And consoles are about games, not multimedia features. They're cool to have, but people have smart phones for that.

Except multi-media features are on everything now and only add to the value of whatever they are on. The Switch is no exception. Are so many people seriously saying "No, we don't want more features! Screw that noise!" I get that Nintendo is going ass backwards with Labo, but I didn't think everyone else was going backwards too.

19 minutes ago, Envy said:

Okay... I'm ignorant, I'm wrong. I don't really know much about these third party games. I apologize. I see people citing Skyrim as being an ancient port. I ignorantly thought Doom was just the same thing, and not a new game. Thank you for correcting me.

No harm no foul. Skyrim is the one everyone is making fun of because Bethesda needs to stop porting it lol.

20 minutes ago, Envy said:

I never really thought of Sonic games being released as being special because Sega has always been releasing Sonic games on Nintendo consoles (past when they dropped out of the console market), correct me if I'm wrong. I mean perhaps not every single Sonic title ever, but a lot of them.

Nah it's been half and half. Nintendo started getting more of the "kid friendly" Sonics and less of the serious ones. To be fair, Sonic Forces bombed and most of the "Serious" Sonics as well, but I was just making a point. I'm sure... some people care about it... Maybe... Dunno.

21 minutes ago, Envy said:

I had no idea they were selling so well on the Switch.

Yeah, I mean obviously not better than their PS4 counterparts sometimes but this can be explained by the fact that the Switch has a smaller install base. So obviously it won't always pass the PS4 sales, but for the size of the install base the sales are pretty impressive. I mean Breath of the Wild sold over 4.5 million on the Switch which is almost half its install base. That's not bad at all.

23 minutes ago, Envy said:

Oh, I completely forgot about that tidbit about Kingdom Hearts III potentially coming to the Switch later.

Yeah and Square Enix is liking the Switch so far, so the possibility is growing. A portable KH3 would definitely be an interesting idea. It could be a big seller for them.

24 minutes ago, Envy said:

So... Overall, I admit me being a Wii U owner, and me only playing a limited amount of franchises the Switch just can't have any hope of appealing to me right now, but I guess that's just me...

Well we know Pokemon is coming, just no idea when. We also know that Animal Crossing likely will happen too, as Nintendo clearly wants to expand that franchise.

25 minutes ago, Envy said:

You're probably right. I'm not sure I've ever used a web browser on a home console. I just think that the with the Switch being a portable device and having a much better screen than the 3DS, it is more viable, like a regular tablet.

That is definitely a possibility. Using the Switch to completely replace conventional tablets could be a good move for Nintendo. I think it will come eventually, but their focus is games currently, and they haven't said they wouldn't do these things, just that they were waiting.

26 minutes ago, Envy said:

It comes down to me... being the stubborn closed-minded idiot I always am, there just aren't enough games on the Switch for me to have personally been able to understand that point, but I'm wrong...

I don't think it's a matter of you being an idiot, you just misspoke. You clearly meant that the Switch didn't appeal to you personally and you're not wrong to say that. I mean if a console lacks games you personally care about, yes it won't matter to you personally ever. That's a given.

28 minutes ago, Envy said:

I think it was mainly because I went on other forums and saw members I usually respected, who would usually be like "meh" calling this genius, alongside the sea of Nintendo fans calling this "genius", as well.

Overall, despite what I posted here, which is just me latching on to my personal complaints about Nintendo, I'm not too bothered by this. This could be really fun for my nephew, who will soon have a Switch... But for $70... after the price of a Switch, I'm not going to bring it up to my parents or sister.

I commend you for coming to that conclusion. I mean that's all it is at the end of the day. A game/add on that no one is obligated to get and it won't hinder any future experiences, right? It's also easy to believe something is the majority when it's all you see. Most of the time what we see is the vocal minority, but sometimes it is the majority. So far the reactions I've seen to it are more or less in the middle. Some laughing at it, some praising it, and others sort of indifferent towards it. I'm kind of indifferent towards it myself.