Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Flurry Heart an unnecessary character?

Nightfall Veilwing

Dose anypony think that Flurry Heart didn't need to be added in MLP at all?
I mean, she doesn't seem like she'll add anything to the series. She doesn't really do anything, she hasn't had much screen time or character development. In fact, I don't remember when the last time she had an appearance was. FIM it's at it's tail end with only 2 seasons left, and it's a bit late to add any new characters, unless an episode's plot demands it (in that case, the new character(s) will probably never show up again, beyond their debut episode). So, they'd better so something significant with Flurry. Otherwise, adding her would've been, put simply, pointless.

In The Crystalling, Part 1, Flurry seemed more like a plot device than a new character debut. Also, making her an alicorn wasn't even necessary; they could've made her a unicorn.

So, how do you feel about Flurry? A nice addition to the cast, or an unnecessary addition?

Edited by Millennium Shadow
  • Brohoof 4

Trying to argue if a character is necessary is... kind of a loaded statement. Yes, Flurry was added to the show because Hasbro saw an opportunity to make some more toys/money. But that’s literally the reason the show exists at all. If you want to say that Flurry was unnecessary just because she was a marketing decision, well I think you’re also saying the entire show is unnecessary because it, too, is only here because of a marketing decision. 

But you, in a refreshing twist, are asking if she’s unnecessary from a story perspective. I think her addition has added some great new dynamics and perspectives. Twilight gets a new perspective as an aunt as we saw in Flurry of Emotions. Cadance gets some new perspective on being a mother and a princess as she pointed out in Zeppelin. True she won’t be around for much of the show, even if it is extended past nine seasons, but it’s not as though her inclusion is taking anything away from the show. (Other than to step on the headcanons of some fans)

Edited by ShootingStar159
  • Brohoof 4

Shooting star said it best, Twilight and Can dance have both gotten good moments in the show thanks to flurry heart. It is good that she is used sparingly because too much of her would get very annoying

I also feel as though she helps make the show feel like it is a real thing, shining armor and Cadance having a baby is a very natural step for theor characters

• Brohoof 4

As Shooting Star stated, Flurry have been rather important in the past, showing new sides from both her parents and Twilight. I personally find aunt-Twilight adorable in 'A Flurry of Emotions'  , were we see her - established and familiar character - from completely new angle.

However, I can't see any more ways how Flurry Heart could bring something utterly new to the show without being repetitive. She have played her part as a plot device and comical relief, showed old characters from new viewpoints and satisfied audiences assumed appetite for cute babies - which we had two already, mind you...

In order to became new and interesting, Flurry Heart should grow from foal to older filly. This way she could became more active and interact independently. But given that shows current lifespan is coming to end, this seems highly unlikely.

I fear that writers will just ignore her until series finale, where ponies probably fight against yet another invincible monster. In the darkest hour, when everything is lost, she will rise like some kind of op pony baby Jesus, kick some tail and save the day. :P Hopefully not.

• Brohoof 2

YES she is completely unnecessary in the series, I think she also ruined the rare-elite like status the Alicorns held too by just randomly being born an Alicorn for absolutely no reason. I mean before, you kinda had to earn your status as an Alicorn, well now you can apparently just randomly be born as one!

Flurryheart is just a bunch of bullshit that was only created to sell moar Alicorn toys. I would be happy if she was written right off the series tomorrow, because I've never liked her and I never will.   

• Brohoof 3

3 minutes ago, King of Canterlot said:

YES she is completely unnecessary in the series, I think she also ruined the rare-elite like status the Alicorns held too by just randomly being born an Alicorn for absolutely no reason. I mean before, you kinda had to earn your status as an Alicorn, well now you can apparently just randomly be born as one!

Flurryheart is just a bunch of bullshit that was only created to sell moar Alicorn toys. I would be happy if she was written right off the series tomorrow, because I've never liked her and I never will.   

Wow. That's just mean to a baby that has more potential in Fan Fiction. Let us fan fiction writers actually do something with her rather than Write as COMPLETELY UNNESSACARY. Just because she's "worthless" in the series, it Does NOT mean she has no use in fan works. 

If the writers aren't going to actually use Flurry Heart, then yes. She's currently pointless on the show itself, apart from the few episodes that make use of her. I specify the show because merchandise is a different discussion entirely; if Hasbro wants to make Flurry Heart toys, then what's stopping them? There are actually a handful of G4 ponies (mostly recolors) which have only appeared as toys. But it's disappointing when Hasbro makes a big deal of the character at the beginning of Season 6 and then rarely includes her in subsequent episodes.

Well, she’s cute and funny, for one, and I concur that she has allowed for new perspectives from certain characters. I appreciate this show’s continued emphasis on how stressful taking care of children is, and for Twilight in particular she has brought out one of the few non-princess, non-mentor stories we’ve seen from her since the S3 finale. At the time of her introduction, there were still four seasons to go, so it wasn’t so bad.

i worry that she limits Cadance’s potential too much, however. 

• Brohoof 1

Flurry was needed to flush out Cadance and Shining Armor. Their character development is that they got married and had children and them dealing with child rearing is part of their development which makes the show more fun for the parents watching as it might show them in a way kids might understand what it is like to be a parent. So she is a ness. character. 

I personally don't think she's a necessary character, and I chalk her existence up to Hasbro saying, "We want an alicorn baby princess." As a result, she hasn't received a lot of focus and really only appeared in The Crystalling, where she was, indeed, just a plot device, and that one episode where Twilight babysits her...where she's actually pretty okay since Twilight is the one screwing up there. I don't like her in general, but that's really more to do with my headcanon getting torn to pieces by her existence than anything else. At the very least, they didn't make her a focus point as much as I feared they might.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think so, as her existence was a natural and mostly expected step from Cadance and Shining Armor. She wasn't so well exploited in her debut, being the typical super baby that causes mishaps, but in a Flurry of Emotions she was thankfully made herself a characters withing her toddler limitations. However, I don't think she can grow as a character much further because of this, unless she grows up or a future self comes to the past :huh: 

With the show seemingly ending with 13 episodes in S9, it seems unlikely, but there's a chance the future McFlurry might be a reality if Sombra truly returns in the final season premiere 

Flurry's character development seems overall little rushed, as like writers didn't initially plan to introduce her in this timetable and/or manner if even at all. This seems to be the case also when it comes to her parents. "Why hello Twilight, welcome to your brothers wedding! Uh, you know, Shining Armor? Character that everypony loves and we totally didn't came up just last week (buy our toys!)" After their marriage, baby was of course logical next step and even though I'm rather satisfied the outcome, I can't help wondering what was original concept for these three without Hasbro's meddling.

Maybe Flurry was just going to be an ordinary foal, presumably an unicorn? This way story could have concentrated more to her parents. As Alexander said above, she kinda waters down her mother...

I assume the reason why she was then made an alicorn is partially because we already had episode 'Baby cakes' in season 2 that is all about nursing infants. They wanted Flurry to stand out in a crowd.

But still, replacing unicorn and pegasus with alicorn isn't really a solution. It's just kinda lazy... :okiedokieloki:

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Number62 said:

What makes you say that?

Cadance’s appearance in Seasons 5 forward have been rather baby-centric, and it makes me wonder how much time she’ll have away from the kid. I guess she could just get someone else to look after Flurry for a while, but dang it, I’m still waiting for a specifically Cadance-centric episode.

• Brohoof 3

The show writers really haven't had the chance to flesh out the purfect couple that is Shining armour and Cadence. I mean a baby does add a Dynamic to them but the show really is focus on Mane six and such so of course she not going to get much growth. She's a baby for crying out loud. That's like asking the cake twins to have a 'point'

Yes there are chances for them, but only in Fanfictions sadly

On 1/17/2018 at 10:08 PM, WiiGuy2014 said:

Wow. That's just mean to a baby that has more potential in Fan Fiction. Let us fan fiction writers actually do something with her rather than Write as COMPLETELY UNNESSACARY. Just because she's "worthless" in the series, it Does NOT mean she has no use in fan works. 

Well, to be fair to his opinion, it isn't like he walked up to a real baby in a stroller, pointed, and shouted, "You shouldn't be here!" Flurry is just a character. No need to shame someone because they think a character limited their enjoyment of the show. 

As far as fanfiction, it isn't like that creative avenue is limited to what is and isn't on screen. Even if Flurry never materialized, it certainly doesn't prevent an author from generating a similar storyline. That couple in particular having a kid wasn't exactly a novel idea, nor is a young Alicorn character. 

Just remember, deep breaths and perspective, these are good to work on. 

What is this I smell?

Hmmmm... Smells just like opinions to me. Yup, definitely opinions.

46 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

What is this I smell?

Hmmmm... Smells just like opinions to me. Yup, definitely opinions.

Sure that's not dirty diapers you smell? This is a Flurry Heart thread afterall. :P

• Brohoof 1

Flurry is cute, she adds more dynamic to Sparkle family, you have to admit her existence develop Shining and Cadance character more than ever (Once Upon The Zeppelin). However, story-wise, she is unnecessary additions of the show, her birth gave us very interesting lore about Alicorn but they just dropped that plot and she is just no better than Baby Cake.

7 hours ago, Jeric said:

Sure that's not dirty diapers you smell? This is a Flurry Heart thread afterall. :P

It's easy to make that mistake as the two smell very similar.

On 1/17/2018 at 10:01 PM, King of Canterlot said:

I think she also ruined the rare, elite-like status the alicorns held, too, by just randomly being born an alicorn for absolutely no reason. I mean, before, you kinda had to earn your status as an alicorn. Well, now you can, apparently, just randomly be born as one!

How do you know that alicorns have such a high status on their own? The "alicorns are royalty and all-powerful" stereotype is something the fandom came up with, not the canon sources. :please:

I do believe alicorns can be natual-born, but they're simply a rare species, is all. :P

I posted an article about alicorns and why they're hated so much. Do check it out, if you like. [LINK] :fluttershy:

On 1/17/2018 at 6:27 PM, ShootingStar159 said:

Flurry was added to the show because Hasbro saw an opportunity to make some more toys/money

On 1/17/2018 at 10:01 PM, King of Canterlot said:

Flurryheart is just a bunch of bullshit that was only created to sell moar Alicorn toys.

On 1/18/2018 at 12:53 PM, Divine plywood said:

After their marriage, baby was of course logical next step and even though I'm rather satisfied the outcome, I can't help wondering what was original concept for these three without Hasbro's meddling.

On 1/17/2018 at 10:19 PM, Prospekt said:

if Hasbro wants to make Flurry Heart toys, then what's stopping them?

Jim Miller has said that Hasbro didn't make up or force them to make Flurry Hearts. She was a creation of the show's staff.

• Brohoof 1